PDA

View Full Version : One Hit Wonders: Predictions

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 01:19 AM
This thread is basically used to determine which artist is going to be disposable...I.E. forgotten.

I'll list them here:

Switchfoot
Maroon 5
Simple Plan
Bowling For Soup
Ciara
Jesse McCartney
Kanye West
Franz Ferdinand(sorry Rye)
Clay Aiken
Gavin DeGraw
Black Eyed Peas
Ryan Cabrera
The Killers
Gwen Stefani(maybe...she might stay a few years like Pink and then die off)

That's my list of artists who had hit this past year or so, but will be forgotten like Creed, Train, and Sir Mix-A-Lot. Doesn't mean I hate these groups(though I only like BEPs on this list), it's just who I feel are pretty much 1 and done. Though for now, Toby Lightman might be somewhat one and done, I think she's a rising star. So is Bonnie McKee. You heard it here first.

When Bonnie McKee and Toby Lightman really hit it off, they'll thank me and credit me in their CDs.

boris no no
01-04-2005, 01:22 AM
i like maroon 5...
and gwen, no doubt rocked in their old days
i don't like bowling for soup but they've been around for a while
only other i've heard of is the black eyed peas...so them!
wheres the love so cool the first few times but MAN it was overplayed

nik0tine
01-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Other than Gwen Stefani, I think ALL of those listed are going to fade away rather quickly.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 01:31 AM
i like maroon 5...
and gwen, no doubt rocked in their old days
i don't like bowling for soup but they've been around for a while
only other i've heard of is the black eyed peas...so them!
wheres the love so cool the first few times but MAN it was overplayed

Well, many artists have been out for years, but it's usually one hit that gets them on for the year. That's what I meant. Gwen Stefani wasn't really popular until this year when she released her album and until What You Waiting For? and Rich Girl hit the radio.

Where Is The Love is a great song, but it's been overplayed too much. But if you ever hear Maroon 5's She Will Be Loved acoustic, cover your ears. The song is absolutely horrible. I can't imagine any of these artists, save for Gwen, to survive a few more years.

boris no no
01-04-2005, 01:39 AM
natasha bedingfields not going to last.
no where near to daniels talents! :love:

MecaKane
01-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Gwen Stefani wasn't really popular until this year when she released her album and until What You Waiting For? and Rich Girl hit the radio.
Hi, No Doubt were super popular for years and years. Won Best <i>Pop</i> Video at the MTV Awards even.

I'd hope Hoobastank drop back into semi-popularity, once the stupid girls that made them popular in the first place realize every song of thier's isn't The Reason.

radyk05
01-04-2005, 05:43 AM
the killers remind me of the police... don't know why.

Agent Proto
01-04-2005, 06:00 AM
I disagree with the following:
Kanye West
Franz Ferdinand
Clay Aiken
Black Eyed Peas
The Killers

I suspect Clay will have a Kelly Clarkson-like success. Kanye West, man, he's good. I think he'll be able to give away maybe two or more good albums. Franz Ferdinand. >:O Don't be hating them! >:O They're a new group, and they have freaking talent! Black Eyed Peas have been around before. I think they'll do one more album before vanishing. Or something. The Killers, they're also new, and they're very good. They might do a couple more albums.

As for Gwen Stefani. She's alright, but I think she should have stayed with No Doubt. ;)

White Raven
01-04-2005, 06:09 AM
The Killers
Franz Ferninand
Modest Mouse
Ashlee Simpson
Scissor Sisters
The New Creed
That guy that does United States of Whatever
All and any so called "singers" from any Idol series.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
The Killers
Franz Ferninand
Modest Mouse
Ashlee Simpson
Scissor Sisters
The New Creed
That guy that does United States of Whatever
All and any so called "singers" from any Idol series.

Man, I forgot about Scissor Sisters and Ashlee Simpson. They are so dead after the Grammys. The only person who has a shot is Kelly Clarkson, Miss Independent, Since You Been Gone, and Breakaway have all been hits. She is in for the long run IMO.

DMKA
01-04-2005, 06:41 AM
What the hell? Black Eyed Peas have been around for years. I like them too, and I dunno where you've been. Putting them on a "who's going to be a one hit wonder?" list now would be like putting Britney Spears on one.

Gwen...eh, I'm not sure how long her solo act will go, but I doubt it'll be long...but you never know.

Simple Plan has been around for about 3 years and had alot of played to death songs, so I dunno what you mean by that...

Bowling For Soup has also been around for 2 or 3 years, but have only had 2 or 3 well known songs...I thought for sure they'd disapear right away, but they didn't.

I think Maroon 5 has the potential to stick around for along time, and I think they will.

Clay Akin...Yes, yes definitely. I don't expect to be hearing anything else big by him.

The rest of those...no comment.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 06:48 AM
What the hell? Black Eyed Peas have been around for years. I like them too, and I dunno where you've been. Putting them on a "who's going to be a one hit wonder?" list now would be like putting Britney Spears on one.

Gwen...eh, I'm not sure how long her solo act will go, but I doubt it'll be long...but you never know.

Simple Plan has been around for about 3 years and had alot of played to death songs, so I dunno what you mean by that...

Bowling For Soup has also been around for 2 or 3 years, but have only had 2 or 3 well known songs...I thought for sure they'd disapear right away, but they didn't.

BEPs were never really popular before this year. Sure, they've been around for years, but they never had a top 40 hit until this year. That's why they're there. In fact, other than Lets Get it Started(A slight mod of Lets Get Retarded), none of their songs have made it into the Billboard Top 100. They never had hits prior.

Name me a song more popular than Welcome to My Life by Simple Plan. You can't, because none of their other songs made it into the Billboard Top 100.

A band doesn't have to disappear to be considered a one-hit wonder. Look at Train, they had that huge hit in 2001(Drops of Jupiter) and no one cares about them now. Look at Creed. They had like 3 hits in 2000, they still make music...but no one cares about them now. That's what a one-hit wonder is.

Rusty
01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
I really don't think the Black Eyed Peas will be a one hit wonder, they are really good in my opinion. Gwen Stefani might, she's been around for so long with No Doubt people might start to get bored with her. I can really see Simple Plan dying out aswell as Ashlee Simpson and Hilary Duff.

I can't see any of the American Idols staying around for too long either.

Skogs
01-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I can think of at least four well known tracks by the Black Eyed Peas (Where's the Love?, Shut Up, Hey Ya and Let's Get it Started). No offence, but I don't know what you're on about.

Maroon 5 have had several big tracks. This Love, Harder to Breathe and She Will Be Loved

Franz Ferdinand have had at least two reasonably successful follow-up singles.

Gwen Stefani as a solo singer may not last long, but in No Doubt there's no way you can call her a OHW.

Bowling for Soup have had a few well known songs as well, and the Killers have a second single that seems to be getting a bit of airplay.

Dunno about the others, cause I don't know much about them.

Eric Prydz. Now THERE'S a one-hit wonder...

Rye
01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are NOT one hit wonders. They're awesome. And Ryan had TWO hits. :)

And I agree completely with the Hoobastank comment. I actually really liked them before their horrible new CD. It's wimpy and it sucks. Crawling in the Dark has to be one of their best songs and it got no recognition, while that "The Reason" crap was played constantly.

Skogs
01-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Hoobastank is a poor imitation of Incubus. Who, going on the efforts of their last album, are a poor imitation of their former selves.

White Raven
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I think when we say that they're one hit wonders, it's not that they'll just have one hit sing, it's just they will only be popular for a year or so, then die out.

fire_of_avalon
01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
I don't understand. Most of these artists have been around for a LONG LONG time, and I've listened to them, in some cases I've listened to them a lot, before this year. And some of them have had hits before this year, including the Black Eyed Peas (back when they were, oh I don't know GOOD). So, are you talking artists who've had a hit album this year, who probably won't have a big hit again, or artists for whom this is their first and only hit anything forever?

:confused:

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Bands that Dingo doesn't want them to have more hits :)

edczxcvbnm
01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Clay Aiken had a hit? I don't listen to the radio but I didn't think anyone from American Idol actually got their stuff played on the radio. Either way he will be around. He is actually going to be doing work for the U.N. now for education. I forgot exactly what. His christmas album has sold really well also. I don't think he is going anywhere soon.

Also to be a one hit wonder you have to have a hit :D

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are NOT one hit wonders. They're awesome. And Ryan had TWO hits. :)

I think you're referring to On The Way Down and True. When the complete Billboard list comes out for 2004, you'll see that On The Way Down was in the top 100...true was not. :)

I don't understand. Most of these artists have been around for a LONG LONG time, and I've listened to them, in some cases I've listened to them a lot, before this year. And some of them have had hits before this year, including the Black Eyed Peas (back when they were, oh I don't know GOOD). So, are you talking artists who've had a hit album this year, who probably won't have a big hit again, or artists for whom this is their first and only hit anything forever?

:confused:

In the most general term of one-hit wonders, these refer to people who have made Billboard 100 hits, the complete list should be later released this year. That's what I mean by one hit wonders. Doesn't matter if they've been around for 10 years or new this year. It also means that they'll never be heard from again. I mean have you ever heard from Train after Drops of Jupiter? My point exactly. :)

Bands that Dingo doesn't want them to have more hits :)

*beats*

escobert
01-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I doubt Kanye will fade as he's been a very famous producer for a while now.

Cz
01-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Franz Ferdinand and The Killers have actually made it pretty big over here, or as big as a proper rock group can expect to nowadays. Depending on your definition of one-hit wonder, you could either be right about most of thsoe, or dead wrong.

With the exception of a select few popular artists/groups, all bands fade away eventually. Quite what you consider a 'hit' factors in as well. A few of those listed might fail on their second album, but I wouldn't consider them one-hit wonders in the singles chart.

Besides, Bowling For Soup had a (terrible) hit a year or two ago with Girl all the Bad Guys Want, since they've recently had mild success with 1985, they technically span a long enough period to be considered a mainstay band. :rolleyes2

MecaKane
01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Regardless of wheather or not more than one of thier songs are on the Billboard charts, Black Eyed Peas and A Simple Plan are not one hit wonders. They've had several hits that've made their ways into pop culture, in years to come there will probably be more people who remember "Where is the Love", "I'll Do Anything", or just not remember those bands at all than those who remember songs that were on the Billboard charts after they've broken out, all of Simple Plan's hits were on their first album before "Welcome to my Life" I'm pretty sure "Let's get it started" is the Black Eyed Pea's first single from their second album once they've broken out, too. If a band breaks out and thier biggest hit is on their second album since, they're certainly not a one hit wonder no matter what the Billboard charts say.
EDIT:
Oh, actually. The Billboard Hot 100 charts already have 4 singles from BEP, 2 from Switchfoot, even Maroon 5 have had 3, Franz Ferdinand has had only one, Bowling for Soup have had two in their career of however long, Ciara's had 2 in her short carrer, Kanye West has walked with Jesus on his way to three hits, super-star Clay Aiken has had two hits, with many more to come I'm sad but sure to say, Gavin DeGraw, whoever he is, has had only 1 hit, the lovely Gwen Stefani has had 2 hits, even if you don't count the times she was pretty much the only one left in No Doubt, The Killers stll didn't kill enough people to get more than one hit on the charts, sadly, A Simple Plan actually has also had 4 hits, and finally Jesse McCartney only with one hit, on the Billboard Hot 100. For your one hit wonder predictions, Dingo Jellybean, you have scored a 31%, please try again next year.

Female Ryuichi
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Travis are still around, and are still reasonable big in the UK. I guess this topic is about Ameirca only then :greenie: .

I think Maroon 5 will be sticking around for a while longer, espically if they manage to do an album which is as addictive as their current one (I'm ashamed to admit I like them :shame:. I shouldn't, but I do.). Franz Ferdinand I also think will be around for a while yet, or at least here they will.

Lindy
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I can see everything bar Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Kanye West and Black Eyed Peas on that list fading from existance, since those four are all very talented and all their songs have done well in charts.

The other reason being that I've heard of NONE of the named people on there, bar Gwen Stefani.

That and Simple Plan and Bowling for Soup are talentless idiots who, in my mind, don't REALLY exist.

Oh, and Maroon 5 are just plain whiny.

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Kane, you moron. 28.5%.

EDIT: Also, nearly all of the mentioned artists have had hits in their own genres. And, for the record:

Train - 4 "hits"
Jimi Hendrix - 0 "hits"

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Kane, you moron. 28.5%.

EDIT: Also, nearly all of the mentioned artists have had hits in their own genres. And, for the record:

Train - 4 "hits"
Jimi Hendrix - 0 "hits"

Actually, Train only had one hit. Hits, as I refer to them as, are songs that appear in the end of year Billboards Top 100. Drops of Jupiter was it. Only one of their songs made it into the Top 100 of the Billboard.

Jimi Hendrix did have hits, Purple Haze for instance. It's like I said, hits refer to Billboard Top 100. Getting on that top 100 list is what makes gives you that household name...for the year at least.

Lindy
01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
You're taking this entirely on assumption of one chart, in one country.

What about charts in other countries? Like, England for example, I'd certainly say you can't discount songs in the English chart since a lot of the music we get here is (mostly crappy) American junk.

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
again, Train had 4 singles on the Billboard Top 100. Jimi Hendrix had 0.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM

Okay, you got me with Virginia and Calling All Angels. That's makes 3, bitch.

I'm sure I remember Jimi Hendrix in the Billboard Top 100, either a song or an album. I'm going to check now.

Rye
01-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Personally, I think Gretchin somethingwithaW will be a one-hit wonder.

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
You keep changing the definition to suit you. Face it, your list was completely wrong. Yes, Hendrix has some albums in the Top 200 ALBUMS, DECADES after his death. None even remotely close to his lifetime, and no certainly no singles.

Train - When I Look To The Sky peaked at 74.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 10:28 PM
You keep changing the definition to suit you. Face it, your list was completely wrong. Yes, Hendrix has some albums in the Top 200 ALBUMS, DECADES after his death. None even remotely close to his lifetime, and no certainly no singles.

Train - When I Look To The Sky peaked at 74.

I won't deny that I changed my definition. But that list isn't wrong, it's really an opinion of who I think will be forgotten forever. But in case you didn't know it, I was sarcastic about Train and admit I was wrong on that. It might be my 3 local radio stations.

As for the list, I consider Gwen Stefani a new artist because she's solo now without No Doubt. I think that's legit. Ryan Cab is new, and Maroon 5 has been around since performing live in Jan 2003 as far as I know, but their songs didn't hit airwaves until last year. I still consider them one hit wonders. Tell me which artists you think are wrong and I'll defend my choices.

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 10:31 PM
We've PROVEN you wrong on 10 of them, and time will tell on the other 4.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 10:38 PM
We've PROVEN you wrong on 10 of them, and time will tell on the other 4.

Switchfoot - this could be legitimately wrong.
Maroon 5 - See earlier post
Simple Plan - When did they have a hit in the top 100 other than Welcome to My life?
Bowling For Soup - Again, see above, replace Welcome to my Life with 1985.
Ciara - She's new, completely new.
Jesse McCartney - Again, new as well.
Kanye West - New.
Franz Ferdinand(sorry Rye) - New.
Clay Aiken - Obviously new.
Gavin DeGraw - New, doesn't have a Top 100 hit AFAIK.
Black Eyed Peas - My reasons were explained earlier.
Ryan Cabrera - See my earlier post.
The Killers - New also.
Gwen Stefani - See earlier post.

I don't see how my list was wrong as you stated. And yes, solo artists who break away from groups are considered new artists, I stated that on my very first post before even editing it. Can I at least know what 10 you think are wrong?

Doomgaze
01-04-2005, 10:41 PM
You know, putting people on ignore makes YOU look like the clueless one, you might want to avoid that :)

Carnage
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Thats because people suck. Same reason rap is so popular.

Dingo Jellybean
01-04-2005, 10:46 PM
You know, putting people on ignore makes YOU look like the clueless one, you might want to avoid that :)

Yeah, but it's usually best when someone irritates you so much that you SHOULD ignore them. Again, what 10 do you think are wrong? I have, IMO, legit reasons for considering them as potential one hit wonders.

escobert
01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Thats because people suck. Same reason rap is so popular.
Did you really need to say this?

Doomgaze
01-05-2005, 12:19 AM
the ones that have MORE THAN ONE HIT.

Dingo Jellybean
01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
the ones that have MORE THAN ONE HIT.

Again, what is your definition of a one-hit wonder? Someone who has multiple hits within a year and dies forever or someone who has one hit and disappears?

You can say Gwen Stefani had 2 hits in Rich Girl and What You Waiting For?, but depending on what definition you use, she can be a one hit wonder because she only lasted one year and will be forgotten.

You're still not very descriptive of you mean.

Yamaneko
01-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Keep the insults out of EoFF, Doom.

The only popular music till now that might be remembered and still listened to in 100 years is going to be The Beatles, and possibly The Stones and Elvis. The music I like will most likely be forgotten after my death.

escobert
01-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I dunno Floyd is still popular. Mant of my friends love classic rock as do I.

theundeadhero
01-05-2005, 02:03 AM
I dunno Floyd is still popular. Mant of my friends love classic rock as do I.:) Every year for 3 days the best Pink Floyd cover band (IMO) plays in St. Louis on Dec 24-26. I ahven't had a chance to go yet but from what I here, it is awesome. I can't wait until I finally get a chance!

radyk05
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
the killers remind me of the police... don't know why.

did i say the police? i meant the clash!! thats more like it. i think their style is very similar to the clash's.

Optium
01-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Ahh screw you Raven for saying Modest Mouse. Float On sucks my nuts
but I'll bet you haven't heard Lonesome Crowded West. I hope they only
have one hit so they actually start producing good music again. *cries*
It sucks for a band whose CDs were near impossible to find anywhere
but online, and who only TWO people including yourself knew of at your
highschool when you started, suddenly gets popular. I've had people come
up to me and ask me if I've ever heard of the band Modest Mouse. I kill
their families.

.opt

GhandiOwnsYou
01-09-2005, 03:09 AM
i don't think any of them really qualify anyway. one hit wonder kind of means one HIT. look at some of the "one hit wonders" from the past, and notice you can still remember there songs. because they were FREAKING HUGE. not just radio played and on MTV. I mean FREAKING HUGE. Chumbawumba. you can here that songs now, can't you? Sir Mix-a-lot. yup, thought so. none of them have had the HUGE global spanning omni-present kind of song like "who lets the dogs out" ya know?

but most of that list doesn't qualify, cuz they've been around forever anyway. Black eyed peas? Incredibly established, for years. most of the rest are like that too.....but i don't avhe time to rebuke them all.

Agent Proto
01-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Also, you can't predict who's going to be a One Hit Wonder just like that.