PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Book(s)?

tomothy
01-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm in the market for new books...

I'd love to know which books you regard as your favourite, or left a lasting impression (whether good or bad) on you?

I just finished reading a fascinating yet horrible, horrible book called "The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks". I recommend it, although it made me grimace on numerous occasions and is very nasty and graphic.

So what's your book :confused: ?

TheAbominatrix
01-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Favorites... hmm...

<i>Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trailer '72</i> by Hunter S. Thompson. I love all of his work, but that's probably my favorite
<i>Fight Club</i> by Chuck Palahniuk. Same as Thompson, I love all I've read from Chuck, but that is my favorite so far.
<i>The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe</i> by C.S. Lewis. It always has and always will be one of my ultimate favorites
<i>A Clockwork Orange</i> by Anthony Burgess
<i>Catch 22</i> by Joesph Heller

Just a random smattering of books I really enjoy.

Del Murder
01-04-2005, 02:33 AM
My favorite books are:

<i>The Grapes of Wrath</i>, John Steinbeck
<i>Jurrasic Park</i>, Michael Crichton
<i>David Copperfield</i>, Charles Dickens
<i>The Catcher in the Rye</i>, J.D. Salinger
<i>The Rainmaker</i>, John Grisham
<i>Atlas Shrugged</i>, Ayn Rand
<i>Have a Nice Day!</i>, Mick Foley

And other works by the above authors.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 02:36 AM
I really like The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkin. It starts with Wizards First Rule.

Mr. Graves
01-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Shogun by James Clavell. If you can, try finding some of his other books.
1984 by Orwell.

MoonsEcho
01-04-2005, 07:23 AM
I really like The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. It starts with Wizards First Rule.
One of my absolute favourite series. If you like fantasy, definitely check this serious out. Another good fantasy/scifi series is the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Of course, virtually everything that Weis/Hickman write is awesome. Case in point, the Dragonlance books.

Aside from the three series I've listed, here are some more favourites of mine:

Tathea by Anne Perry
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
White Fang by Jack London
and of course The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

There are more, somewhere in the corners of my mind x_x

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

YES.

Teek
01-04-2005, 07:29 AM
<i>Atlas Shrugged</i>, Ayn Rand.
<i>The Vampire Lestat</i>, Anne Rice.
<i>1984</i>, George Orwell.

The Captain
01-04-2005, 07:57 AM
America The Book by: Jon Stewart
Brave New World by: Huxley
For Whom The Bell Tolls by: Hemingway
To The Lighthouse by: Woolf
Anything by Faulkner
Various Works and Essays by Emerson, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Just to name a few.

Take care all.

Martyr
01-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm in the market for new books...

What kind of genre are you looking for? I mean, if you want suggestions.

Currently, I am a Carl Hiaasen fan. I've been reading his books very rapidly. The dude is hysterical. I can't recommend any particular book of his because they're all great.

C.S. Lewis is fantastic. Besides the Chronicles of Narnia, he has excellent books (With a focus on Christianity)

Alice and Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll: I read those recently. Very funny little fairytales. Not something to be ignored on the basis that Disney made a movie about it once.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain, is probably a book that everybody has read. But, in case you haven't, you may as well know that I believe it to be one of the finest storties ever to be written.

Those are a few goodf books, but there are many, many, many more.

I can really only recommend books effectively if I know what you're loking for. I guess I like the classics more than anything.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Nathaniel (sp?) Hawthorne's complete book of short stories. It has just about everything he ever wrote in it and I love his writing style.

m4tt
01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Anything by Michael Crichton or Dan Brown. Lord of the Rings is also a good book.

fire_of_avalon
01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
I love books!

My favorite book of all time ever is The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger (yay me and Del have stuff in common) because it's AMAZING, but you really have to read Franny and Zooey (by the same author, of course) to get the full circle effect of what Salinger wants to say. All told, it's an amazing message of what some consider to be Christianity, but what I interpret as human redemption to oneself.

I'll stop talking, but suffice to say a lot of the books that have been mentioned I love to bits.

MESSAGE TO THEABOMINATRIX/ASHLEY - Have you ever read Choke or Lullaby by Palanhuik? I really loved Choke , but I don't think I completely understood the point of Lullaby. Ooooh, and I'm reading Catch 22 right now and it's weird and fun.

YAY BOOKS

Dr.K
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I Found Aldous Huxley's Brave New World interesting, pretty warped tho.
Also like Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontė and 1984 by Orwell.

Rye
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Princess Diaries Series
Ella Enchanted
Harry Potter series
The Seventh Tower
The Keys to the Kingdom

:)

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I Found Aldous Huxley's Brave New World interesting, pretty warped tho. I found it very interesting too. Theres also a sequal to it but I can't remember the name at the moment.

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Martyr - I've been wanting to read Alice, glad you mentioned it. Disney has made some great books into movies (dumbed down kids films, but I like the movies usually), I've been wanting to read Peter Pan as well.

FoA/SEXY - I havent gotten to those yet, though I got all of Chuck's fiction series from my roomate for Christmas. And Catch 22 is awesome, my boyfriend got me that a while back. The movie about it is pretty decent as well.

krissy
01-05-2005, 01:13 AM
catch 22
fight club (so far i'm abominatrix)
His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2005, 01:16 AM
Being me is awesome. Sometimes.

Oh and I forgot to add, has anyone read the original Wizard of Oz series? Im not a huge fan of the film but I loved the books.

kikimm
01-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Ah, yes---I read The Wizard of Oz. Granted, it was years ago, but it still counts, no?

But on the REAL question::: I've never been a fan of picking just one, so deal with it. :)

---The Abhorsen Trilogy, by Garth Nix. Whoa:::this completely blew my mind, especially the first one, Sabriel. His world is amazing, as ar the characters, the plot, the "bell" system....*sigh* Genius
---The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone (So far, just The Briar King and The Charnel Prince), by Gerg Keyes::: Equally amazing, although still unfinished. I'm most confident that will go down as one of the greatet fantasy series of all time.
---As much as I doubt this needs to be said, I'll go ahead and say it anyways---A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. Just read.
---The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope:::What can I say? I'm a sucker for any retelling of Tam Lin (except Fire and Hemlock. Yuck.) The author only wrote two books, but this is far better than the other, in my opinion.
---Feist. More specifically, The Serpentwar Saga, as I haven't read anything else by him---YET. And that's always a good thing.
---Anything by Patricia A. McKilip. You don't even need to read her books for the plot, or characters, or her wonderful settings---the language itself is enough. It's absolutely beautiful, and captures the fairytale feeling like none I've ever read before.

Ah, magic does exist.

:D

XxSephirothxX
01-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Vision of the Future and The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn.

Cyclops by Clive Cussler.

Hawkeye
01-05-2005, 02:12 AM
im not really into novels, but two books i enjoyed were watership down (haha nick) and the hunt for red october. im more into short stories (they dont lose my interest too fast) and my favorit is the abyss by hg wells

theundeadhero
01-05-2005, 02:16 AM
im more into short storiesYou should check out the Nathaniel Hawthorne book I mentioned.

kikimm
01-05-2005, 02:22 AM
You should check out the Nathaniel Hawthorne book I mentioned.

Along with Everything's Eventual, by Stephen King. Good stuff, especially...the title slips me, but it involves a crazy French waiter. :bigsmile:

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Ah, yes---I read The Wizard of Oz. Granted, it was years ago, but it still counts, no?

Of course. I read them... probably almost 10 years ago. I had the boxed set of all the books (cant remember where I got it), but they were lost and/or stolen by one of my mom's boyfriend's children. But they're awesome books. :skull3:

XxSephirothxX
01-05-2005, 02:48 AM
I never read The Wizard of Oz, but I did read one of the sequels...can't remember the name, but it was awesome. They took most of the characters from it and put them in that Return to Oz movie, and I was horrified because the movie was HORRIBLE. It was a great book, back when I read it...at least 7 years ago.

Fate Fatale
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
All of the Redwall series books, by Brian Jaques (Redwall, Mossflower, Salamandastron, ect.)
Eragon, by Christopher Paolini
and... I'll get back to you...

Yuna1983
01-05-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't really read books that I often but the Stephen King books are cool. :D

fire_of_avalon
01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Along with Everything's Eventual, by Stephen King. Good stuff, especially...the title slips me, but it involves a crazy French waiter. :bigsmile:

Holy crap, that was a good book. I think the name of that story is Lunch at Gotham Cafe.

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Stephen King is pretty cool. <i>The Shining</i> scared the crap outta me.

krissy
01-06-2005, 12:30 AM
I just read the first chapter of CRASH by J. G. Ballard.

I'm never having sex again.

Silmaril
01-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Books! Yay for books!

I like:
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien
Simon the Coldheart by Georgette Heyer
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix by JK Rowling

I've read only the first part of the Bartimaeus Trilogy but I like it too

Jack
01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Magician by Raymond E Fiest
Lying Lies And The Liars That Tell Them by Al Franken
Dude, Wheres My Country? by Michael Moore

Darren Lockyer
01-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Christine- Stephen King
The Stand- Stephen King
IT- Stephen King

I just think he is a great writer and recommend any of his short stories

pain
01-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I like A spell for chamealion and the sorce of magic both are piers anthony I also like lord of the rings .

TheAbominatrix
01-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Piers Antony is really cool. I love his Xanth novels especially. His Incarnations of Immortality series is pretty good, too.

The Captain
01-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Another book of his that I enjoyed, though I forget the name is a sci-fi short story that was completely re-written by editors, and Antony was so pissed by the changes that he just didn't release the new book. Instead, he released his version and then all the notes the editors had made. I can't recall what it was called, but it was hilarious.

Take care all.

Raistlin
01-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Anyone who thinks they might be interested in fantasy novels <i>has</i> to read Piers Anthony. His early Xanth novels are brilliant.

Anyway, I don't think I can limit myself to one book. So I'll just go by series:

<i>The DragonLance Saga</i>, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
<i>Death Gate Cycle</i>, also by Weis/Hickman
<i>The Jack Frost Series</i>, by R.D. Wingfield
And of course, <i>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy</i>, by Douglas Adams.

Honorable mentions:

Piers Anthony in general
David Eddings's <i>The Belgariad</i> and <i>The Mallorean</i>
Terry Goodkind's <i>Sword of Truth</i> series

theundeadhero
01-12-2005, 03:39 AM
The Dragonlance series is pretty big. I would recommend reading Dragons of... Autumn twilight, winters night, and spring dawning (hoping I got those right, it's been a little while), followed by the legend of Huma, The Meeting Sextet series, and then prolouges/preludes?

Ichimonji
01-12-2005, 05:06 AM
The Obsidian Chronicles by Lawrence Watt Evans. Although, I don't think the final instalment is out yet. Dragon Weather was awesome, and I'm half way through Dragon Society.

TheAbominatrix
01-12-2005, 05:35 AM
I cant remember the author at the moment, but <i>Of Mice and Men</i> was amazing. One of the best required readsing in school, ever. Unfortunately, some oaf ruined the ending for our entire class.

MoonsEcho
01-12-2005, 06:18 AM
The DragonLance Saga, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Death Gate Cycle, also by Weis/Hickman
Piers Anthony in general
David Eddings's The Belgariad and The Mallorean
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

I :<3: you. :fplove:

Funnily enough, the first Dragonlance book I ever read was The Silver Stair and I was immediately hooked. I'm glad it's such a huge series; the more the better. The Death Gate Cycle will always be one of my favourite series. I still haven't bought all the books, though. .-.

The Bathroom Reader's Institute books also make for some interesting reading. :D

Tama2
01-12-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm into that The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jorden. It's like a 11 book series. I'm still on book 6 though. But maybe somethin along the lines of Greek Mythology might sut what you are lookin for. That stuff can get pretty crazy.