PDA

View Full Version : Defense industry!

-N-
01-04-2005, 05:30 AM
POST IF YOU WORK FOR the defense industry. Sorry, it's legitimate.

How do you folks in the defense industry rationalize working there? I've worked for Northrop Grumman (www.northropgrumman.com) for 3 summers and the only solace I've found is that I work on the Global Hawk, which is unarmed, unmanned surveillance. It's kinda beginning to drive me nuts though, because I could soon be working on UCAR or or J-UCAS, which are essentially unmanned killing machines (an armed unmanned Army helicopter, for one, and an armed jet, the other).

Anyone else out there closer to killing people know what I'm talking about? My cousin was in the Marines in Iraq, and he mentioned that he killed people, but I never asked him what he thought about it because I didn't know if it was appropriate to ask.

Oh yeah, and being in the defense industry for this length of time, I must say it is the shoddiest of all engineering I have ever seen. Since money flows like crazy, no one's afraid to dive head first into crazy contract phases without having a single clue what they're doing. No one even gives a damn, or if they do, they can't do crap about it because there's so much red tape around them. Managers just want to make money, and engineers can't work to make quality products by the profit margins the managers set up, and... arrrrgh! It's annoying. Is it the same way in other fields? I know the automotive industry is very competitive, so even a 1 cent part has to be justified. I see this as very strict and beneficial to good engineering. Can any other engineers in other sectors of industry relate to this?

nik0tine
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't know if I could bring myself to build killing machines. If you disagree with what you are doing, I recommend you find another job. I think it might pay off in the long run, because you won't have that on your chest for the rest of your life, but that's just me.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I am the defense system... :(

DMKA
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
:(

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 02:12 AM
:(

Hawkeye
01-05-2005, 02:15 AM
who would want to build something to kill someone?

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 02:16 AM
who would want to build something to kill someone?

A politician, that's who.