PDA

View Full Version : This stinks! Must be GAY!

SomethingBig
01-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Nothing pains me more than hearing someone actually use the word "gay" as a derogatory term. You don't agree with their lifestyle? Fine. Their sexuality contradicts with the sexuality your religion says is the right sexuality? Okay, terrific. But using "gay" as an actual derogatory term is stupid. Is it truly that hard for some people to find a better word to use? Bad? Crappy? Stupid? Idiotic? Useless? I mean seriously, 5 year olds... No, 3 year olds can come up with better words.

Some of the stupidest things I've heard last year(2004) had to do with people using "gay" to describe mishaps, things they dislike, and other negative things. Ex:
"Man, this TV show is gay. It's so boring."
"Aw, man, you guys like Full House? DAMN you're gay!"
It's just so stupid how people use this word. What drives them to speak like this boggles my mind. I lose literally all respect for people that use "gay" or "homosexual" in this fassion.

Bah, just had to rant. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Denmark
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
no, I think it's stupid too. gay meant happy back in the day (then again, it still does, but not many people say it to mean that as far as I know)

there are so many better words to use for the same purpose.

Mr. Graves
01-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Eh, no. It doesn't bother me. It's just a word with a twisted meaning that once had a good one. Ho hum.

SomethingBig
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Mr. Graves, you're so gay for not agreeing with me.

How did this usage of the word start, anyhow?

m4tt
01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
It really bothers me when people use "gay" as an insult or whatever.

Psychotic
01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Well, it's like a word beginning with n used to describe black people. Originally that was not an offensive term, it was just a word used to describe them, just as white or English could be used to describe me. Gradually, the attitudes behind this word began to change, as did the meaning of the word.

Same for gay. Used to mean gay people, now it has acquired negative connotations in the same way. Now it has two (three if you count happy) meanings and that's all there is to it.

Many other words now considered racist/homophobic/disablist all started out as regular words that meant no offence at all. Sadly it's the attitudes behind it that matter. If you ask me, no word in itself is offensive, just the attitude behind it.

(Yeah I did this at English Language last year and got an A in my AS levels for it :D)

escobert
01-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I use it. It's out of habbit and my peers around me using it. When I'm around friends that are gay I make sure I don't say anything like fag or queer or "that's gay" because I know it hurts them. I tried finding out how it became the way it is to no luck though. Most likely caem from the street culture wheres many words are changed around such as "nasty" meaning good and the such. I would love yo use other words instead of gay but, it's habit. I'm used to saying it.

Dr.K
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
I know someone who fits your description a hell of alot - in front of teachers or something he'll always go "aww man this question/topic is gay!" - and gets the same, dirty look all the time. Then he always has to explain to them that "he obviously isn't calling the question homosexual - its just annoying him". This seems to be EXACTLY the kind of translation people put it to today - By todays standards, "gay" = 'unhip', 'annoying' or generally 'not on'.

"Stop being gay!" - Stop annoying me
"This is so gay" - I am so 'not' enjoying myself
"This weather is gay" - It's not MY type of weather

I wonder how long it'll last.

SomethingBig
01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
It truly is quite disgusting, if you think about how the offensive nature of these words came to be. But the usage of the word "gay" in an offensive sense is far more out of hand than the usage of the n word(not trying to lower the extreme amount of offense that word brings). I've heard people use "gay" for stupid acts of violence to getting dirt on their shoes, whereas the n word is more under control. It's not everyday you hear someone calling a TV show the n word because it's boring. Heck, it's not everyday you, I'm hoping, hear the n word. Why, then, is the offensive use of "gay" accepted? They should be on the same level, or close to it.

It'll probably last until we have a homosexual dictator. :rolleyes2

El Duderino
01-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Why should it offend anyone unless any of you'se are homosexual yourself ? Leave them to their own devices and let them fight their own battles.

Mr. Graves
01-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Mr. Graves, you're so gay for not agreeing with me.

=O

*flaunts*?

TasteyPies
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Unless of coarse you mean something is gay because it is excessivly happy and peppy. Like "Omg, (insert lame thing) is so gay. They get exited over every little thing." But if homosexuals think they OWN the word gay, they are wrong.

escobert
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
I hear the n word 4566570893509835 times a day But, that's because I know a lot of african americans :p

Rye
01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
It's not good to say. I'm not gonna say I hate it, because it's a habit of mine to say it even though I don't think being gay is anything wrong at all. I'm trying not to say it anymore. Everyone around me says it so it kinda seeped into my mind.

Logan
01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I know I say it, and I try not to but sometimes it pops out. If you say it at my school (this is gay, you're gay, etc), you can get suspended. I'm glad they did that, because a lot of kids are being harassed because of their sexual orientation.

El Duderino
01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
You are all Gay, Oh i'm sure you are all so offended.

SomethingBig
01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Duderino, it's the whole principle of using a name of a certain group of people offensively, as if that name was meant to be derogatory in the first place. I've dealt with discrimination my entire life and to see someone using a word that shouldn't be used in a derogatory sense is quite annoying. It just shows ignorance at its pinnacle and it will only get worse with time. America's supposed to be a country where you're allowed to be who you are without being criticized, made fun of, etc. The usage of terms used to describe groups of people in derogatory ways only degrades them. I'm sure you would react in the same fassion if everyone around you started using the n word to describe all black people and also things that they disliked. This doesn't go for just "gay", but for all other derogatory terms for groups of people.

Craig
01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
I do say it, but I don't mean it I have nothing against gay people it's just habit I guess.

Doors
01-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I think saying nigger as an insult word is far worse, showing how people, even now, are actively racist.

Carnage
01-04-2005, 10:29 PM
i use it sometimes but i have nothing against gay people. Just comes out society poisoned me.

P.s. poisoned looks weird I liked spelling it wrong :(

Tokki Wartooth
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
I think using the adjective "stupid" is offensive to stupid people, and should be whined about at once.

Doors
01-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I think using the adjective "stupid" is offensive to stupid people, and should be whined about at once.
Why not?
You make the thread and we will make spam!

Old Manus
01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
It's regular speak where I am. Nobody takes notice, because we know it just means that whatever situation is not good. The word has different meanings, and we're using one of them. It's like "Yew" and "You", they mean completely different things.

SomethingBig
01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I think what is stupid is completely subjective. One person may find another smart, while another might find that same person to be stupid. If you can consider someone stupid, but they will always hold a shred of intelligence and someone will always think of them as being smart.

crono_logical
01-04-2005, 10:50 PM
It's regular speak where I am. Nobody takes notice, because we know it just means that whatever situation is not good.Same round here :p I don't use it myself, but my siblings and their friends do, and I couldn't care less about it :D

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Working in the land of derrogatory language and rough humor I hear the word gay a lot. Also I work with black people and hear the word "N" a lot. I prefer not to use either of them. Gay because being a skinny, RPG playing, "freak/punk" in my school, I was called gay a lot and would never want to force that on anyone else. "N" because I'm just in general a nice person, it takes a lot for me to be mean so I tend to avoid derrogatory things.

escobert
01-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I only use the n word to my black freinds and only joking and they know this becasue they said to me that they don't care if I use it to them since they say it every other word. I would never say it out of hate or anyother way but just with them.

TasteyPies
01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
I think saying nigger as an insult word is far worse, showing how people, even now, are actively racist.

What if they are from Niger?

Doors
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
What if they are from Niger?
Then they would be Nigerians.

BatChao
01-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I guess I can see how it's derogatory and stuff, but most people who say it don't mean it in that sense. It's become a common word to use in describing something that someone doesn't like. Words like dumb also used to be referring to people with disabilities (I think dumb means someone who can't talk), but now it's used to describe things that people don't like, just like gay. I'm sure there are a lot of words like that. I say gay to describe stuff that I don't like a lot... I don't have anything against them, but it's just become a common usage of the word.

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 12:34 AM
I don't have a problem with it. It isn't really a derogatory term anymore. "Gay" is now equivalent to "Stupid". If it's used in that context I don't care. However, I do begin to have problems when people use the word to descriminate or be hateful.

rubah
01-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Dumb would be a better example.

When you're little you almost always learn that dumb=bad, rather than dumb=can't talk.

I say it's a better example because people think of it as lighter than stupid. I remember my dad telling me when I was little not to call things stupid, so I called them dumb instead. (or he might've been telling me not to call *him* stupid, either way, i quit saying it for the longest time:))

Gay is a derrogatory term. It's also a synonym for something that is distasteful.
it's all in the context.

but, since it's [rather] new, people still get easily offended by it, as shown by this thread.

TasteyPies
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM

But so are people from nigeria. To diferentiate you would have to call them Nigerites. Like jebuzites or wisconsinites.

p.s. Is the country of niger pronounced Nigh-jeer like nigeria to the south? Or does it not matter like with Iraq. (I-Rack, I-Rock, E-rack, E-rock)

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Iraq does matter, or so I've heard. I think the correct way to pronounce it is
E-Rock, but most Americans say i-rack anyway, myself included.

Ethereal
01-05-2005, 01:23 AM
It's really not that big a deal. Try not to think about it so much.

kikimm
01-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Ah, I'll admit to saying it. It's just a habit---but I can't tell where it came from. But it's just like the word "gay" coming to mean homosexual---something it didn't mean before, and now it's also come around to mean stupid, or lame. No different. I don't have anything against gay people, but the word it so driven into my mind...*sigh*

:D

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-05-2005, 01:32 AM
I agree with SomethingBig, I do not like the usage of deragatory connotation of a word. It's just as bad as faggot and fag. If you added all the derrogatory words added to homosexuality you wouldn't have a pretty definition. I was calle dgay in myu school for awhile (ie Grade 7 to Grade 10/11, because I am diferent, not quiet metrosexual, but I express myself and, I learned that I am me, not the labels I am given....) So yeah I have reasons for not liking the word, also many people who I know use the word gay as an adjective for anything but happy, think negatively or say negative comments about homosexuality. I live in a small city, therefore with this small sample I do not assume everyone who use gay in another sense than happy or homosexual, are closed minded towards different sexual oriantation, I am just stating that I had bad experience with the term. I know this is a little off topic, but lesbian, is not used in a derogatory sense, it seems that I guess they rather use the term for male homosexuality. For thos ethat don't know the word lesbian originated from the island of Lesbos. there was na all girl school there and the lady who ran it *forgets name....starts with S I think* wrote poems to her students. Some say love poems, but you get the idea. Also why is homosexuality so strongly opposed now, in ancient Greece it wasn't, Alexander the Great was gay, (but you never see that in the text books....) and his father celebrated. In Sparta only men could fight and it was believe you fought better when you fought with someone you loved. There was a whole legion of troops, and they were alll gay, and they were the strongest tropp of them all. So history shows psoitive attitude, so why now change, mind you there has been negative attitude too. But yeah, that all I got to say.

DMKA
01-05-2005, 03:40 AM
It really doesn't bother me, except when I hear little kids saying it...that just annoys me.

The N word however...or "chink" or "kracker" or anything else that's duragatory toward an ethnicity I cannot stand unless it's a person of that ethnicity saying it. Or if it's just kidding around all in good fun.

MoonsEcho
01-05-2005, 04:58 AM
I used "gay" as an adjective for about a week in jr. high. Then I realized how idiotic it sounded.

The N word? Or other ethnic slang? Only with my friends of those ethnicities, and never meant in a serious derogatory fashion. :spin:

Yamaneko
01-05-2005, 05:02 AM
I think we should all stick to the PC cuss words. http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif yeah!

The Captain
01-05-2005, 05:09 AM
We've become such a desensitized culture that we throw around words which might be offensive with little or no regard anymore. Using "gay" or calling someone a "fag" started in the early 1980's when AIDS was believed to be caused by homosexuals and for a time, they were demonized completely. Our culture has still not completely gotten over this phase and thus, many times, we call others "gay" or "fags" as a way to belittle and also to build up our own ego. In many cases, people who use these words for malicious intent, meaning they really do use "gay" and "fag" to indicate a sexual preference in a negative light, are people who are usually to some degree homophobic or battling some sort of insecurity or identity crisis and thus feel they must push their internal problems onto others as some form of closure.

In most cases however, the words are just used because they found a way into our collective social subconscious along with calling things we like, among others things, "cool", "hot", and the like. We are often unaware that we are even using these words and usually don't even realzie that we may be potentially offending other people. As a society, we've become strangely, both more politically correct and also much more easy going with regard to words and phrases in and out of context.

As for the N word, this is a much more touchy subject for some. The roots of the negative form of the word can be traced back to the 1960's during the Civil Rights Movement, where the word resurfaced to belittle those of African, West Indian and the like descent, after being largely disgarded for about 100 years. The word originated I believe during the Civil War, or more closely, right after the Civil War during Reconstruction when racial tension was also very high and Jim Crow laws reigned infamously. The word was used to call former slaves still subservient to whites and, even nearly 150 years later, this class struggle is still very touchy. To use the word now as a white person seems to be harkening back to days of slavery, while to use it as a black person seems to mean brotherhood and a kinship among those who were formerly oppressed and still to a degree feel oppressed in certain situations.

All in all, the words have become paradoxically both more offensive and less so as we enter a more and more politically correct age. It remains to be seen if the words will actually cause another shift in our culture or if they will lose the negative undertones they've taken on in this century.

Take care all.

Meat Puppet
01-05-2005, 05:17 AM
People keep calling me gay as a derogative term.

Peegee
01-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I tell myself that anybody who gets offended by racism (when done in an obviously non-derogatory manner) is taking it too seriously. I apply the same to any -ism. But I don't force my opinions on others and so I refrain from using racist 'terms' around people I'm not that comfortable with.

Otherwise it's game on

Shlup
01-05-2005, 05:41 AM
I don't agree with people using the word "gay" to depict something homosexual. Sometimes I'm not just happy, I'm positively gay. Do I approve of their lifestyle? Yes, its fine. But do I want people to think I'm homosexual? No.

Sometimes I just want to be gay.

DMKA
01-05-2005, 05:48 AM
I don't agree with people using the word "gay" to depict something homosexual. Sometimes I'm not just happy, I'm positively gay. Do I approve of their lifestyle? Yes, its fine. But do I want people to think I'm homosexual? No.

Sometimes I just want to be gay.
xD :<3:

I agree.

Casey
01-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Well I use the word gay or fag in a derogatory term, just insulting someone not because they're gay. So yeah, flame me, I dont care. :)

DMKA
01-05-2005, 07:10 AM
So yeah, flame me, I dont care. :)
You want to be flaming? :p

*flames you*

Giga Guess
01-05-2005, 01:38 PM
It irritates me greatly. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, maybe I need to take a chill pill, but ultimately it boils down to this for me. "Gay" in this sense is supposed to be synonymous with homosexual, and using it as a derogatory term becomes a hit on the gay community. Maybe not a huge blow, but still an attack. Or not. Like I said, I have a history of being a little touchy about stuff like this...

Hawkeye
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
It doesnt really bother me, depending what its context is. However, if it discriminates people, then i do have a problem with it.

Erdrick Holmes
01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I used to not be bothered by it, now it irritates me, especialy because one of best friends is bisexual.

Faris
01-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I Agree, I absolutely (sp?) hate it when people just randomly say that you're a lezbian or a gay person. Somone that I had only known for a few days, and then she tells someone that i'm homosexual. I did nothing to show that! I got a pathetic reason to be called that :mad: . I'm just a nice person and I still get all this BS dumped on me.

When people say "This is gay", It sounds really weird, I never understand what they mean by that or I will sometimes get the wrong message. I don't use the term so I don't get it.
This is how I see it:
Gay means: Happy.

It really doesn't bother me, except when I hear little kids saying it...that just annoys me.
They seem to be less innocent then when I was a child. I hear my 9 and 7 year old cousins swearing when their Mother isn't around. It sickens me sometimes :(

Spritz
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I find it really annoying. To me it just seems very ignorant when someone uses it as a degoritory term.

I hear my 9 and 7 year old cousins swearing when their Mother isn't around. It sickens me sometimes

Same. At the risk of sounding very elderly; Kids don't have any manners these days.

Itsunari 2000
01-05-2005, 05:51 PM
It really annoys me as well ... just like people referring to different ethnicities with the use of derogatory words like the " n " word , " Japs "," Crouts" etc. It's ignorant and disgusting and needs to be stamped out.

Linus
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Gay may not mean "stupid" or "dumb," but it doesn't mean homosexual either.

Why aren't you mad that this word isn't used properly, which would be to describe happy people, or people with sunny dispositions?

I'm mad that the word gay is used to describe homosexuals, because that's not what it means!

EGG.

Edit: Due to this thread title, I will now associate bad smells with the word "gay."

DMKA
01-05-2005, 09:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/devilmaykickass/a23.gif

Shlup
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm offended when the word "bitch" is used as an insult. Its a big hit on the females of the dog species, when they're usually so sweet and loveable. It didn't used to bother me, but now one of my best friends is a bitch which has somehow wedged a stick up my butt.

I just think its innapropriate to use the word for something other than its meaning. A bitch is a nice female dog, not a mean female human.

Gay may not mean "stupid" or "dumb," but it doesn't mean homosexual either.

Why aren't you mad that this word isn't used properly, which would be to describe happy people, or people with sunny dispositions?

I'm mad that the word gay is used to describe homosexuals, because that's not what it means!

EGG.
*tempted to let Linus make a thread* (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showpost.php?p=947451&postcount=44)

Psychotic
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm offended when the word "bitch" is used as an insult. Its a big hit on the females of the dog species, when they're usually so sweet and loveable. It didn't used to bother me, but now one of my best friends is a bitch which has somehow wedged a stick up my butt.In English Language the other day we were doing words like this, and apparently femminists have chanced bitch to be an acronym: Babe in total control of herself. So every time you call someone a bitch, that is what they'll claim you are saying.

Of course, it doesn't matter what those headcases (Everyone I know hates femminists, especially girls) say it means, people say it to demean females no matter what weird way they try to change the meaning of the word.

Teek
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I sort of don't dwell on it. It just reeks of ignorance more than evil.

DMKA
01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Of course, it doesn't matter what those headcases (Everyone I know hates femminists, especially girls) say it means, people say it to demean females no matter what weird way they try to change the meaning of the word.
Once I was walking around campus when I lived in the dorms and there were these chicks handing out flyers and saying to everyone:"fight sexism! Support femenism!"

For some reason, this didn't sound right to me.

m4tt
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Once I was walking around campus when I lived in the dorms and there were these chicks handing out flyers and saying to everyone:"fight sexism! Support femenism!"

For some reason, this didn't sound right to me.
Yeah.. that doesn't make much sense.

Fate Fatale
01-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm constantly called "gay" or a "fag"... I have no I dea whether tey are using it derogatory, or meaning I'm homosexual. People often think I'm gay. I hang out with girls, so what? I'm just so confused...

DMKA
01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm constantly called "gay" or a "fag"... I have no I dea whether tey are using it derogatory, or meaning I'm homosexual. People often think I'm gay. I hang out with girls, so what? I'm just so confused...
I'd think that'd make you look the opposite...

Don't worry. You're probably somewhere in between 6 and 10th grade, right? They're just idiots.

Tokki Wartooth
01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but lesbian, is not used in a derogatory sense, it seems that I guess they rather use the term for male homosexuality.
"Gay" isn't a masculine term for homosexuality. It can be applied to both genders.

m4tt
01-05-2005, 09:47 PM
"Gay" isn't a masculine term for homosexuality. It can be applied to both genders.
It's probably thought that because more immature little boys use it than girls.

ljkkjlcm9
01-05-2005, 10:28 PM
well I'd like to say gay started as meaning:
1) happy
2) bright and colorful

and that was it. When homosexuality came about, they decided to use the word gay because it was showing that they were happy even though many looked down on them and the like.

People use the word gay because who says it only means homosexual people, in fact, it doesn't even really mean homosexual people. I mean it basically does now, but not really.

You cannot even begin to compare this to the n-word. I mean look, we don't even say "nigger" we say the n-word. First of all, the n-word was created to be demoting to the race, by the whites who suppressed them. Gay was used as a term to show that they were happy with their lifestyle, and was already in existence, these two words are very different.

I use gay all the time, and personally, I don't care. It didn't start as meaning homosexual, and a lot of words are used in different ways than they are suppossed to. How come you didn't get offended when people called everything "the bomb" I mean, bombs are dangerous and kill people. Just because this word is connected to homosexuality, it can't be used more commonly?

Wow, I'm sorry, but if you believe this to be a significant problem... I don't know what to say...

THE JACKAL

Doors
01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
But so are people from nigeria. To diferentiate you would have to call them Nigerites. Like jebuzites or wisconsinites.

p.s. Is the country of niger pronounced Nigh-jeer like nigeria to the south? Or does it not matter like with Iraq. (I-Rack, I-Rock, E-rack, E-rock)
Do people in US call themselves us or USans?
I pronounce it Nai-geer.

Chaos
01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I use gay as an expression. Everyone does where I come from, even some of my friends who ARE gay. It doesn't bother us, but I can see why people get offended.

Chaos

DMKA
01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
I use gay as an expression. Everyone does where I come from, even some of my friends who ARE gay. It doesn't bother us, but I can see why people get offended.

Chaos
:love:

The Great Albino Hippie
01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Sorry for not reading alot of thread nearly bed time. in my country there are lot of gay, but your argument is soooo funny because they have joke when they say to us on a night out ( i am straight with 2 close gay men friend) they say to us oh stop being so gay its pretty funny, but if i suppose if an anti gay man said it they would be hurt.

PhoenixAsh
01-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Have I missed something or is 'gay' actually not derogatory when talking about homosexuality? It just means homosexual in this context with no actual positive or negative connotations unless they are intended by the speaker. I may be wrong, or this might just apply to my area, I don't know.

I have used the word in the past to mean bad, I think I've stopped depending on the company. If I'm with people who I think are fine with homosexuality and know I'm not homophobic, I'll use it. If I think it could be taken wrongly, or could encourage some negative ideas then I won't. I haven't actually thought much about it till just now so that may or may not be true.

DMKA
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
"Gay" isn't a duragetory term when it's used to reffer to someone who is actually homosexual, but it's often used in a durogetory manner to describe things.

IE: "Man, Bush got re-elected? HOW GAY!"

SomethingBig
01-06-2005, 11:33 AM
It doesn't offend me as much as you guys make it out to be. I mean, I don't freak out every time someone uses the word in said context; I just find it stupid when people do. Of all the great words in the english language, why did it have to be "gay"? So what if many people didn't like them? Lots of countries hate the US, but you don't see them calling things they dislike "Americans". The same goes for Iraq and how no one says, "Aw man, this TV set keeps breaking down! It's such an Iraq!".

DMKA
01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
It doesn't offend me as much as you guys make it out to be. I mean, I don't freak out every time someone uses the word in said context; I just find it stupid when people do. Of all the great words in the english language, why did it have to be "gay"? So what if many people didn't like them? Lots of countries hate the US, but you don't see them calling things they dislike "Americans". The same goes for Iraq and how no one says, "Aw man, this TV set keeps breaking down! It's such an Iraq!".
Yeah...I should start calling everything "Bush". :p

I get what you're saying...and yeah, it's annoying. Particularly annoying when little kids say it, because they usually don't even know what it is.

crono_logical
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Lots of countries hate the US, but you don't see them calling things they dislike "Americans". The same goes for Iraq and how no one says, "Aw man, this TV set keeps breaking down! It's such an Iraq!".You see it with smaller scale stuff :p I've seen (western) people use Arab rather than American in such cases, so it's not like it doesn't happen :p The way American government is acting, they're gonna do an Iraq or Afghanistan to more countries :D

gokufusionss1
01-06-2005, 01:17 PM

But what then do we call the people of Nigeria?

It bugs me that the original use of the word (happy) was twisted to mean homosexual so it's a bit of comeuppance to have the nature of the word change again. I don't use it in that sense myself because I'm not TEN YEARS OLD.

Jack
01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Gay is fine in desxcription. Gay as a degatory claim is wrong.

I hear it most by 14 year old Boys who think it sounds cool.
Oh, and older men who believe Gays are so horny they'll have sex with a man should they even say anything nice to them.

All of which are stupid. I think it's become so imprinted on youth language that it'll take many years of work to remove it fully. I reckon if we scared them shoud they say it with the punnishment for Racial Charged Dismissal and the copensation bill, it would remove it as a degaotory term. Most who say it don't realise WHAT they're saying most of the time, when I confront them on it.

The same goes for what people used to say for those born out of balck/white courtship. Half-Cast? I have no problem with it (Offended? Non!) and I hate how the PC people have said it's wrong and put words in my mouth. I am half-caste but NOW I'm of duel-herritage. My Mum was recently chastised for not "embracing" black culture cause I am of Duel-herritage. they fail to notice the actual INDIVIDUAL part of it and genneralise, with is hypocritical since they claimn they are pionners for individualism.

crono_logical
01-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Saying using gay as a derogatory word is wrong is gay :p

Work that one out :D

Chelsea
01-06-2005, 05:09 PM
if everybody has a problem saying gay, why even talk about it, huh?
[that's what i thought] :mad:

DMKA
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Saying using gay as a derogatory word is wrong is gay :p
No it's not.

SePhYsBlAdE666
01-09-2005, 04:37 AM
ya i dont like hte gays they do gross stuff like guys kissing that is gross they should kill them all!!!!

Leeza
01-09-2005, 04:41 AM
It's nice to see someone so open minded, SePhYsBlAdE666.

SePhYsBlAdE666
01-09-2005, 04:45 AM
ya but it is a free contry and i dont have to like them if i dont want to my cusin was like that and now my dad dosnt talk to him b/c he kisses boys!

01-09-2005, 04:45 AM
i hear "gay" or "fag" at least 20 times everyday. it has no meaning anymore, even friends that just say like "you fag, haha." without even realizing it.

Leeza
01-09-2005, 04:47 AM
ya but it is a free contry and i dont have to like them if i dont want to my cusin was like that and now my dad dosnt talk to him b/c he kisses boys!
It might be a free country, but this is not a free forum.

Carnage
01-09-2005, 04:53 AM
ya i dont like hte gays they do gross stuff like guys kissing!

hahahaha what are you 10 :lol:

It might be a free country, but this is not a free forum.

watch out shes gettin ready to pounce!
WTF didnt we have a cat smiley :confused:

Giga Guess
01-09-2005, 04:53 AM

I love you too....

Leeza
01-09-2005, 04:54 AM
hahahaha what are you 10 :lol:
No, he's 11 Carnage. How old are you?

Carnage
01-09-2005, 04:55 AM

laugh it up

SePhYsBlAdE666
01-09-2005, 04:57 AM
that is stupid tho is u ask what other ppl think and dont like wut they tell u i am telling u i dont like htem b/c it is not rite wut they do i dont think!!

Leeza
01-09-2005, 04:59 AM
<i>that is stupid tho is u ask what other ppl think and dont like wut they tell u i am telling u i dont like htem b/c it is not rite wut they do i dont think!!</i> -SePhYsBlAdE666

This thread isn't to discuss the gay lifestyle. It is a discussion on the use of the word "gay" as a derogatory term.

SePhYsBlAdE666
01-09-2005, 05:03 AM
ya i dont no what that means lol

Carnage
01-09-2005, 05:03 AM
that is stupid tho is u ask what other ppl think and dont like wut they tell u i am telling u i dont like htem b/c it is not rite wut they do i dont think!!

<!--Speak english you http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifing hic-->
Carnage, if you want to be banned tonight, then just keep this up! ~ Leeza

Giga Guess
01-09-2005, 05:05 AM

Define "Not Right."

SePhYsBlAdE666
01-09-2005, 05:09 AM
it is not rite the guy is for the gerl not for the other guy! i do speek english its just im not very good im only 12 my cusin helped me get to this thing he usues it its sorta like MSN but u dont talk with the persons directly

Carnage
01-09-2005, 05:10 AM
[/color]<!--Speak english you http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifing hic-->
Carnage, if you want to be banned tonight, then just keep this up! ~ Leeza[/color]

:(
*logs off*

Giga Guess
01-09-2005, 05:12 AM
it is not rite the guy is for the gerl not for the other guy! i do speek english its just im not very good im only 12 my cusin helped me get to this thing he usues it its sorta like MSN but u dont talk with the persons directly

Forget it. I'm not letting you bait me into Leeza's wrath.

theundeadhero
01-09-2005, 05:14 AM
It's so hard but I'm trying not to either.

escobert
01-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Forget it. I'm not letting you bait me into Leeza's wrath.
Yeah he just doesn't get it.

DMKA
01-09-2005, 05:20 AM
ya i dont like hte gays they do gross stuff like guys kissing that is gross they should kill them all!!!!
omg ur gay

The Captain
01-09-2005, 05:37 AM
Keep in mind, as Leeza pointed out, this is a discussion about the word, not a particular way of life.

Take care all.

Lionx
01-09-2005, 08:57 AM
I find that usually horribly immature people use it more often than not. Sometimes my friends use it, but one of my friends does it on accident since it was so grilled into him when he was little. Usually i dont mind it that much but just annoying and can be offensive. I am bi-sexual, so it SORTA says something about me, but usually i can let it slide. I dont condone it though, its not something good. Its actually kinda sad that people have to group or seperate other people even with the most trivial of things.

Why cant we all just get along? =/

koom bai yaaa.....O.o *does wave*

SePhYsBlAdE666: Start a new topic on it if you want, but all i am commenting is that whatever you said on this topic, is much more wrong than whatever you are thinking about other PEOPLE who has different interests.

Blackmageboi
01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
calling someone gay is a useless insult its just not worth it

Kossage
01-10-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't really like the use of gay as a derogatory term, and it's used offensively way too much. :(

Fate Fatale
01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Haha! I have mission to at least lower the usage of this word!
*spy music plays*
When anyoneyou see uses gay as a duraugatory(sp?) term, just stop them and make then promise not to do it anymore. (Will probably only work on your friends) Make a deal so that every time they use the word in that tense,you get to slug them in the arm! JOY! Maywork... What do you think?