PDA

View Full Version : Roy Carroll and the biggest blunder ever

tomamar04
01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Can you believe that they didn't give that goal?

I'm a Manchester United fan, but even I cannot deny that Spurs deserved to win.

Anyway the title is Chelsea's now so what do I care?

Cz
01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Football madness at its best. And from the perspective of an Arsenal fan, intensly amusing. Spurs cheated out of their points, Man. Utd. humiliated, neither gaining any ground on us. It's just a shame we didn't win our match, or it would have been a rather good day overall.

As for the title, that's far from decided yet. They were fortunate not to drop points against Liverpool (Premiership referees sponsored by Fly Emirates, a coincidence? I think not) and were almost held to a draw by Portsmouth. Not to mention that the transfer window will be bound to shake things up a bit. It's difficult to deny that Chelsea are looking strong, but they're by no means unbeatable.

Kirobaito
01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Premiership League standings appear in my newspaper ever Saturday. One day, I actually read them. Can't remember what they said.

Psychotic
01-05-2005, 09:12 PM
They were fortunate not to drop points against Liverpool (Premiership referees sponsored by Fly Emirates, a coincidence? I think not)I noticed that too. :mad2:

KB: Look out for Liverpool :D

NM
01-05-2005, 11:15 PM
If that incedent had happened against any other team than Man Utd, I bet the goal would have been given.

Doc Sark
01-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I tell you something. I've had just about as much as I can take of shoddy refereeing involving the top three. I have lost count of the amount of times smaller teams have been cheated out of points by poor decisions against them when playing Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea and I would be more than supportive of goal line video replays to assist the ref.

"I would have had to have been faster than Linford Christie to keep up with play" was the response of the linesman in the Man Utd v Spurs game and he was in support of a video replay trial run, as were both managers. Of course however much it hurt to be robbed by Chelsea on New Years Day, I think goal line replays should be the limit, if the referees just opened their eyes for a change they might notice blatant handballs in the box. There was another on New Years Day involving Bolton I think. Just as blatant. Defenders have got no right to leave their arms up when jumping and MY GOD, they certainly don't have the right to punch the ball off Antonio Nunez's head. If Tiago's handball was at the other end I have no doubt the ref would have given a goal because Mike Riley is a useless piece of crap who has absolutely no grasp on the game of football and is being paid off by Fly Emirates and Vodafone to make Man Utd and Chelsea games easier for them to win. To say I was irate on New Years Day is an understatement. The fact that I had a brutal hangover was not helped by Makelele wrestling Sinama to the floor in the box and the ref giving a free kick AGAINST Sinama. Ridiculous. Anyway between Tiago handballing, Pires diving and Man Utd regularly profiting from dodgy refereeing, I'm fed up. Most of all I'm fed up with Mike Riley, he loves Man Utd and he hates Liverpool, come to think of it I'm not a big fan of Thierry Henry's best mate Graham Poll, he might as well have been inviting Henry and his girlfriend round for dinner when he allowed him to take that free kick early against Chelsea, not against the rules but Poll's conduct was questionable. And what about that Mark "Penalty, oh no wait it's not" Halsey. Do they have a referee school, because if they do it needs to be knocked down and rebuilt by me. I'll show them how to referee a game properly.

Isn't it ironic that Football Referees are sponsored by Specsavers. Oh yes, it's true.

I'm done ranting now. It's not been a good week for referees.

gokufusionss1
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
don't forget Lampard broke alonso's ankle putting him out for three months, at the rate we're losing players i'll be playing for Liverpool soon.

NM
01-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Or worse Salif Diao, will have to play. :D

Darren Lockyer
01-06-2005, 08:03 PM
LOL, that was just like something Barthez would do and was obviously a goal,even the fans in the back row could tell. It was class but just prooves a point that ref's are bias towards man utd and i honestly believe that because one ref (maybe mike reilly) reffed 9 man u games and awarded man u 9 penalties.(not that i can skit being a Leeds Utd fan :thumb: )

tomamar04
01-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I know the general feeling is that referees are biased towards the big 3, but dodgy refereing goes on from the Premiership down to Sunday league football, it's just highlighted more in Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea's cases.

But on the other hand I have little doubt that if it had been Paul Robinson (however unlikely that would be) who had made the mistake, Manchester United would have been given the goal.

Doc Sark
01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't think it's that they are biased, its just some refs are bottlers. They chicken out of making decisions against the big clubs because of the extra stress it may put them under.

EDIT: Salif Diao wasn't too bad against Chelsea the other day. Still....god forbid he gets a run in the team. I may have to change my sig.

gokufusionss1
01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't think it's that they are biased, its just some refs are bottlers. They chicken out of making decisions against the big clubs because of the extra stress it may put them under.

EDIT: Salif Diao wasn't too bad against Chelsea the other day. Still....god forbid he gets a run in the team. I may have to change my sig.

Doc prehaps you were too hung over on new years day because diao didn't play against chelsea.

Doc Sark
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
No you're right he didn't. Who came on for Xabi Alonso? Ah Nunez. Ok he was ok in the last game he played. Not too many mistakes. Would rather see Biscan get a run in the team now Alonso is injured though.

tomamar04
01-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Biscan deserves a run in the team, he doesn't get enough chances.

By the way, did anyone see the interview with Frank Lampard after the Liverpool vs Chelsea game, he looked really akward apologising to Alonso.

Doc Sark
01-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Well I imagine he was pressed into it. He isn't a malicious player and didn't mean to do it. It happens in football he shouldn't have to apologise but he does because he is Frank Lampard.

Biscan deserves a run in the team, he doesn't get enough chances.

Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you. What with Liverpool v Man Utd coming up. Pah.

tomamar04
01-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you. What with Liverpool v Man Utd coming up. Pah.

Dammit, you've found me out!

aeris2001x2
01-09-2005, 06:04 PM
I think it was a fair result, the draw. (and not cause i,m a bias Man U fan).

Roy should have SAVED it anyway. It was his second mistake ever, but a very bad one that he will sadly be remembered more then anything for.

And Man U should have had a penalty.

Add the way both teams played, and Spurs winning would have been a cruel result.

We are not down yet though. assuming that every other match for the top three is a win, We just have to Beat Arsenal at Highbury, then win against some random team hoping Chelsea and Arsenal draw again. This will put us a point a head of Arsenal.

Then we beat Chelsea when they travel to Old Trafford, and keep winning and wait for Chelsea to lose to 2 other sides and draw a third because of goal difference (Everton, and Spurs and...Newcastle...bolton... maybe? :( ) and then we are the Champions! :) ...

ok, theres about as much chance as me getting a girlfriend :cry: ..damn you Chelsea!

tomamar04
01-09-2005, 07:39 PM
It could happen, you never know!

United always do better at the end of the season, and Chelsea are in for a tough time against Spurs next week.

By the way, there is more chance of West Brom winning the Premiership than me getting a girlfriend! :p

Doc Sark
01-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Roy should have SAVED it anyway. It was his second mistake ever, but a very bad one that he will sadly be remembered more then anything for.

True, if you only count mistakes events that directly lead to goals. But that's two this season in big games. He does have tendency to flap, Utd need another goalie. I don't see why they don't try and sign Cudicini! A goalkeeper of that quality wasting on Chelsea's bench, surely someone must want him?

tomamar04
01-09-2005, 07:56 PM
It looks like they're getting Antei Niemmi (I know I didn't spell it right).

Apperently Carlo Cudicini could play for England soon, because he has never played for Italy at any level, and he has lived in England for most of his live.

Has anyone else heard this, and do you know if it's true?

NM
01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I think if you've been in a country for 5 years and have never represented your country of origin at senior level you can play for that country's national team.

There's a Brazilian, (can't think of his name right now.) who now plays for Japan as he had lived there for x amount of years and had never represented Brazil.

Doc Sark
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
His name is Alex Santos.

Has he never played for his country? Interesting. I remember there being some speculation he might play for England.

NM
01-09-2005, 08:15 PM
I think that was Edu. He'd never played for Brazil until 2004.

Doc Sark
01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
No it's definitely Santos. Allessandro Santos though not Alex. He plays for Japan despite being born in Brazil.

edit: wait I see what you mean. I wasn't talking about Santos above, I was referring to Cudicini in the second part of the post.

tomamar04
01-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't think there's much of an issue anymore though, Paul Robinson would probably get the number 1 jersey insted of Cudincini anyway.

Doc Sark
01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Still it's nice to have some competition. That way we can avoid David Seaman/David James style complacency.

tomamar04
01-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah, suppose so, we relied too much on Seaman.

Even though Robert Green could become a good keeper eventually, and possibly Kirkland.

After that England's options are pretty scary, James...or even Ian Walker...NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Cless
01-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Carrol's blunder was hilarious :laugh: ! I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that a six year old could have probably caught that ball! And the look on his face as he desperately scoops the ball out from behind the line in the hope that the linesman didn't see it! :laugh:

No wonder Howard is back.

aeris2001x2
01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Despite Man U somehow edgeing a win at Liverpool and the defense holding up, i really want Howard back. If he could find his form again he is easily a world class keeper.

But yeah, Cudincini should be bought. Though after Chelsea winning again, i think we should concentrate on just winning the 3 cups.

tomamar04
01-15-2005, 09:35 PM
I've pretty much surrendered the title to Chelsea, even if Man Utd/Arsenal win the rest of their games this season, Chelsea would realistically have to lose 2 games and draw 5 (or lose 3 and draw 2). And the only place I can see Chelsea losing is away to Man Utd later this year.

As for the cups, we've got just as good of chance of winning them then Chelsea, with all this talk of Chelsea going for a quadruple, it would be funny if Man Utd ended up with more trophies!