PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Like Trances

Yuffie514
01-06-2005, 07:05 AM
no offense to FF9, but i really hate its limit break system. it's so hard to keep track of the Trance gauges and they're not as powerful. it pisses me off when i go into Trance while fighting some weak monsters.

DJZen
01-06-2005, 08:09 AM
The good news is, you have every right. The bad news is.... oh wait.... nevermind.... there is no bad news. Carry on!

m4tt
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
The only thing I don't like is that they don't carry over. I always end up getting into Trance just as the last enemy dies.

boris no no
01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
this is the only bad thing about FFIX
i liked to keep the limits in the other FFs so when a hard boss is on the cards i can beat it easier!
plus if you're fighting little pooey gobilins or sumthin the trance is lost and you have to start all over again!

Ezme
01-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok, I know it is one of the most anoying things in th ewhole off the FF series when your fighting world weakest monster and u get trance at the end of the battle but doesn't it feel much more of an accomplishment when you do time it right?

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Me too! And half the characters have no trance either, example: Garnet, it's pointless!!!!

SadisticStreetSoldie
01-08-2005, 10:46 PM
The Trances are really what put me off the game. I hated the fact that you had to use the Trances whenever they come otherwise you lose them after two of that character's turn. It pissed me off more than FF8's limits. The Trance attacks weren't even that good.

Buster Sword Strike
01-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Me too! And half the characters have no trance either, example: Garnet, it's pointless!!!!
Garnet continually summoned the last summon you used as a command.

DJZen
01-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Which is VERY useful in long fights, but in quick battles against weak monsters, not so much.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-09-2005, 02:33 AM
She does, OMG I didn't know that.....*goes check it ouit* Thanks!!!!:)

finalheaven
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Trance was annoying...o_O..what wasintresting was looking at what the characters looked like when in trace and how tey would randomly change their clothing and glow

boris no no
01-12-2005, 02:22 PM
is zidane naked when he's in trance???
:eek: :eek:
*looks a bit more!!* :love:

HunterFlamebrow
01-13-2005, 01:34 AM
The problem with the Trance system was that most characters didn't have good Trances.
Zidane -- This is very good, he simply gains high damaging attacks, easily able to do 9999 damage
Vivi -- Even though you get to cast a spell twice, it still costs twice the MP, so this sucks.
Garnet -- Sucky, as has been already mentioned
Steiner -- Double damage for all physical attacks. Best Trance in the game.
Eiko -- Same as Vivi, but double casting white spells has more uses (raise!!)
Freya -- Does much weaker damage than a normal jump, and she hardly gets hit anyway, so this one sucks.
Quina -- Kind of useful against normal monsters, but stupid against bosses, since you can't eat them anyway.
Amarant -- Kind of useful -- 1/2 MP is never bad, but I never really used his Chakra skills much anyway (except for the raise dead one).

In short, the trance system sucks.

Yuffie514
01-13-2005, 03:05 AM
what really flawed Zidane's Trance was that he didn't have any attacks like Omnislash or Lion Heart. even if he could do 9,999 dmg, it's still not much!

UltimateSpamGrover
01-13-2005, 03:27 AM
didn't have any attacks like Omnislash or Lion Heart. even if he could do 9,999 dmg, it's still not much!

I think you're just spoiled by the newer Final Fantasies.

Trance sytem is ok, but I just dont like how you cant save them.

RedCydranth
01-13-2005, 03:39 AM
How come you all rely on these things so much?

Limit Breaks in 7 and 8 were cool, but upset balance of power.

9 I think did it right. These Trances were caused be extreme anger, if you let it sit there it will fade. It made no sense that Cloud would get beaten senseless, get his limit, heal at an inn, go buy some materia equip it, talk to villiagers for 15 minutes come back to the battlefield and be able to unleash Omnislash as if he was JUST as pissed as when he got it initially. I know you can't base too much of any FF in reality, but this made sense.

Do you guys think that FF6 sucked because there wasn't limits? Did FF1 blow chunks because the Theif couldn't unleash a monster attack? No. Modern FF since 7 rely on the limits and summons way too much.

So, the trances weren't as powerful as 8 and 7's limits. Is this game FF7? No, so why must you expect everything in 9 to be like 7 or 8?

UltimateSpamGrover
01-13-2005, 04:00 AM
well spoken indeed.

UltimaLimit
01-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm not a Trance fan myself. Zidane's Trance was the most useful to me, especially early on (before Thievery). Vivi's was also useful early on to help get in a couple extra shots against bosses. Steiner did more damage and had the chestplate on his armor glow green (disturbing contrast...) Amarant was semi-useful. Freija was nice against multiple enemies, and if the rest of your party got KOd, she could drop a few spears, come down, and start using Phoenix Downs. Actually not half-bad...

...except you can't store them, they always seem to come right after your enemy is killed or you've issued a mundane command, and are frustrating. I admit it adds realism, but it frustrates me so much that I hallucinate. I begin glowing... and then I black out... and when I wake up I find that all of my enemies have been incinerated by my Limit Break Ultima attack...

Cloud would get beaten senseless, get his limit, heal at an inn, go buy some materia equip it, talk to villiagers for 15 minutes come back to the battlefield and be able to unleash Omnislash as if he was JUST as pissed as when he got it initiallyHey, after the whole split personality/identity mix-up Lifestream thing, I'll believe almost anything. And how much extra anger do you have to have to inflict a Braver or Cross-Slash?

Cless
01-13-2005, 09:28 AM

9 I think did it right. These Trances were caused be extreme anger, if you let it sit there it will fade. It made no sense that Cloud would get beaten senseless, get his limit, heal at an inn, go buy some materia equip it, talk to villiagers for 15 minutes come back to the battlefield and be able to unleash Omnislash as if he was JUST as pissed as when he got it initially. I know you can't base too much of any FF in reality, but this made sense.

Do you guys think that FF6 sucked because there wasn't limits? Did FF1 blow chunks because the Theif couldn't unleash a monster attack? No. Modern FF since 7 rely on the limits and summons way too much.

So, the trances weren't as powerful as 8 and 7's limits. Is this game FF7? No, so why must you expect everything in 9 to be like 7 or 8?
Some very good points there RedCydranth.

It definately does add more realism and seems more logical for a "super attack" system to be like FF9's. However, I personally prefer storing my special attacks up and then unleashing them one after the other on some poor boss's ass! It's so satisfying! :D And it is SO frustrating when trance is triggered while fighting some easy random battle.

On the other hand though, do I wish Square would have made a system similar to FF7 and 8's instead of trance? Heck no, as it is one of the things unique to FF9 and I like the little differences between the FF's!

Shoden
01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
yah the trance system is a hunk of tripe. well the ff8 limit break system was worth it as you could use it loads of times in a row and you could use the spell aura to use it any other time, the renzokuken + Lionheart really made waits worthwhile early in the game

m4tt
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you guys think that FF6 sucked because there wasn't limits?Actually, FF6 does have limits. They are just very rare.

Yuffie514
01-13-2005, 10:19 PM
well, i don't always rely on limit-breaks/overdrives, however there are time where i seriously need them on IX. Eiko's Trance is a lot of help when i'm just about to die. i just hate how i can't control them.

nik0tine
01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I didnt like the limit system, and I hated how frequently random encounters occured. Other than that, the game was flawless.

Del Murder
01-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Zidane's is useful at the beginning. Aramant's is quite nice but he doesn't get it often. Other than that I don't care for them. Dbl Wht and Blk just don't do it for me. Not a good rendition of the limit system.

boris no no
01-15-2005, 03:45 PM
i swear most of them have no clothes on....except eiko, steiner and quina...oh and freya....so only zidane , garnet and amarent!
i wish i could trance in real life!! BAM!
i love zidanes trances! so powerful!! :love:

Xander
01-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I pretty much agree, it's annoying when they come at a useless time and you can't carry them over to when they'd be useful. >_<

Ultimate99997
02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
the reason why some people like the trance system and some dont is simply due to the fact that square soft (now square enix) is always trying to add new exciting things to their games. If they want to eventually improve then they have to experiment with different systems and see how people react to them. For instance - look at the change from limit breaks (7) to desperation attacks (8) and then to trance (9)- each are based on heightening your characters powers, just in diiferent ways. Obviously square are going to make mistakes - but these are what they learn from so that they can make things better in their next game. Such changes are clearly going to be evident in FFXII's battle system!!!!

Shoden
02-02-2005, 10:46 PM
the trances badly peed hundreds of players off but at least squaresoft learned from the big mistakes in ff9

Craig
02-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I think the actual idea of the Trance system is great, they weren't that useful but i'm not too big on limit breaks anyway.

Ryth
02-02-2005, 11:47 PM
They were pretty good Zidane was the best with his dyne ability, devastating obe words that describes it.

Alexander
02-03-2005, 11:32 PM
About the comments like "Trance sux Lionheart rox": Can't you see that FFIX DOESN'T NEED a Lionheart? The hardest boss on the game has 55635 HP, and Lionheart unleashes more than 100k damage? If Grand Lethal were like Lionheart the game'd be pointless. The HP range of enemies on FFIX make 9999 damage be pretty good. Mopre than that is too much overpower.

And about Shoden's "but at least squaresoft learned from the big mistakes in ff9" - And the HUGE mistakes on FFVIII? Why did they never released another FF like VIII? And why did they released FFXII like FFT(-A) and a lil' bit like IX? Because FFT and FFIX are by far better than FFVIII.

And about Trance: I found it good, because if you would use a Trance at every boss the game would be so easy. And all Trances aside from Freya and Quina are good.
Zidane - Dyne OWNS Renzokuken in terms of HP damaging and HP of enemies.
Dagger - Two Bahamuts? RULES
Vivi - Double Black + Half MP = Owns.
Eiko - Double White + Half MP = Owns.
Amarant = Chakra or Aura on all? ROX
Steiner = 3x more damage with physical attacks. Man, this rocks so much.
Freya - SUCKIE T_T
Quina - Pointless. x.x

Masamune·1600
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM

Actually, there were Limits in FFVI. Or pseudo-limits anyway. If you had a character in critical health there was a very very small chance that the character would use a powerful technique. For example, Locke had Mirager, Celes had Spin Cut.

Also, the logic argument fails; you can carry over the built-up "anger" of Trance, so long as the gauge doesn't completely fill. You can still stay at an inn and talk to villagers without Trance decreasing; that only happens when the effect actually takes place.

Annoying though wasting a Trance at the end of a battle may be, I think the actual issue people have with the system is that it is really more of a status than an ability. Only Zidane's Dyne directly refutes this. Trance dramatically strengthens Steiner, for example; this is somewhat similar to having Might cast on him. Double Magic is somewhat ability-related, but look to FFVIII (Double and Triple spells, or Cerberus) for proof that it is more of a characteristic. Quina's Cook is really just an enhanced version of Eat. And so on.

It seems to me that most people like to suddenly have access to some incredibly powerful technique. Zidane's Dyne abilities seemed to me very similar to past Limit techniques. The other characters, however, just don't really make the gamer sit up and pay attention in the same way.

Xalioniaf
02-26-2005, 12:12 AM
I kinda wish that if you do go into trance, then any of the bar left over would transfer. And, if the bar was full, it'd go down to where you only need a couple of hits before going into trance.