PDA

View Full Version : Down with Velius, Thanks to all, still a few ?s

Raukodae
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I know there's another velius thread right now and I just want to thank everyone for their ideas because I came upon that battle last night at about 4 am. I haven't fought him for like 3-4 years. First time I only had one save and couldn't win - then playstation broke - i didn't get a ps2 until like 5 months ago so I didn't play tactics forever. i started over and just whomped the crap outta him. two sworded him for 990 each. my guy gained 13 levels in that battle

which bring me to my question - with my guy at level 40 and the rest of my party at around 25, will the battles be hard - i.e. do the enemy levels correspond with the main characters, cuz i'm fighting with just the main character and the bad guys are like level 38. answers would be appreciated?

i suppose it doesn't 'help that i was reading love hina before i played - especially in the middle of the night - so help me if those two things intertwine...

BudSoda02
01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, I had that problem too... Anyway it only corresponds to your highest level characters, not your main characters. I'd only take generic units into battle to get them leveled up & master their jobs. Thus, they were leveled up much more than my main characters, who I only took into the main story-plot battles. The enemies character's level would increase. However they only affect 'random battles'. The story battle characters/soldiers/monsters will still be the same level they were before. That's all for now.
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

Despotus
01-06-2005, 10:11 PM
There's a trap, called Degenerator, in the canyon/ ravine/ trench in the middle of Zeklaus Desert. You can take your high level character in there and lower his level with the trap. Use Teleport for your move skill and try to teleport too far; you'll fail the teleport and trigger the trap each time. It takes a little practice to get good at the 'Degenerator trick', so you might take B.Soda's advice and just leave high level characters out of the battles for a while until your lower levels catch up. Random battles will be a little tougher for your low level units, because enemy levels are determined by an average of the levels of all your troops.

Miluda
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
If you managed to defeat Wiegraf by Ramza alone, then you shouldn't have a problem with Velius.

Level 40 Ramza is enough. It's very natural for such enemies' levels to be higher than yours.
I would ignore his minions and concentrate on attacking Velius himself. If your Ramza has learnt the 'Yell' ability, it would make the battle easier. All you really need for this is Ramza and someone else who can use Phoenex Down and maybe Agrias or another strong ally to keep the other monsters busy.

EDIT
Sorry, I meant 'Accumulate' ability, not 'Yell'; but 'Yell' is very helpful aswell.

Lich3636
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
lancer ramza can easily win but im the kind of person that has nin and sam befor the trade city (4th battle)

Miluda
01-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Lancer and Knight Ramza are strong, but you can do it with a Squire Ramza.
I think you should do it as a Squire (with 'Items' sub-command) so you can use 'Yell' and 'Accumulate' which I found very effective whenever I had to fight these battle (particularly the one before Velius's).

nihowma buffet
01-08-2005, 08:55 PM
see, the problem i've had with squire ramza in the wiegraf portion was that wiegraf always managed to kill me while i was accumulating. i didn't like using a lancer ramza either, because wiegraf always managed to move before the jump completed, and what not.

i had the best luck with knight ramza with two-swords equipped. i also did stuff to enhance his walking radius, and i just walked up behind wiegraf and slaughtered him. velius is another story.

velius' minions gave me problems, as opposed to velius himself. their dark holy attacks, and their other one... whatever it is always killed my troops. i usually use ninjas, and their hit points aren't exactly splendid.

RedCydranth
01-09-2005, 01:18 AM
If you have the two-swords ability that makes it 10x easier. Velius isn't the hardest battle, by far. IMO the hardest battle is the one against Marquis Elmdor and stealing the Genji Equipment. Quickly killing her assassins while avoiding the blood suck AND stealing his EQ make for a difficult time. Velius has nothing on that battle.

Enigmatic Creation [EC]
01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Refresh my memory on this "Velius" character. Is this the one that you're in a castle of some sort (gray pavement), loop-like with a small pond or some water in the center? I remember one of the zodiac beasts that gave me a hard time, casting powerful summons like cyclops, and formidable physically as well. A tactic I used on it was to attack when it comes to me, then have my move be to move away so it cannot cast a summon on me. Striking him constantly with the sword skill of electricity (forgot which one) since it is the second longest reach. (can only use holy explosion if "xx" is on 4-way path or whatever. Anyways, "xx" took me like 3 hours to beat using just Orlandu and Razma. (lost some of my perchased soldiers and Agrias...) but it worked. I'm not sure what the name of it was, however.

Despotus
01-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Welcome Enigmatic! It sounds to me like you're describing the Velius battle, up until you mentioned Orlandu. You get Orlandu much later. Velius is the Lucavi form of Weigraf, and you fight him in Riovanes Castle, nearing the end of chapter 3 (before you get Rafa and Malak). You probably used Agrias and Mustadiio in addition to your standard soldiers. Congrats on beating one of the toughest demons in the game!

Edgar
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
To tell you the truth, Squire Ramza can beat every class out there (except maybe calculators and gun users). With his scream, even Orlandu don't stand a chance.