PDA

View Full Version : Firefox help

Citizen Bleys
01-07-2005, 06:37 PM
So I had a bunch of green time at work and installed a buttload of Firefox extensions. I like them and also want to install them at home, but without writing down the names of each of them and searching for them on mozilla.org

Is there any way to just export all of my themes/extensions from work and import them at home, preferably without uninstalling or overwriting any of the extensions I already have installed?

I tried looking for .jar files, no dice

crono_logical
01-07-2005, 06:43 PM
They're in the chrome subfolder of the installation folder for me under Windows.

Dr Unne
01-07-2005, 06:46 PM
There is easy no way to do it that I know of. Installing an extension or theme edits a lot of files and most of them aren't very human-readable. You can look in ~/.mozilla/firefox/[random stuff].default/extensions (something similar on Windows). All the directories of the form {d650973c-0444-4ac7-9d00-19e3613c83b9} are themes or extensions. The .jar files are in those (rather in a chrome subdirectory in those). Each extension has a unique number of that form, so there's no chance of overwriting one extension with another. Only problem is that just copying those directories from one Firefox install to another isn't going to actually install it; it's not going to do much at all except cause problems.

Bookmarks are pretty much the only thing that is going to change between the two computers, right? The way I'd do it is to go to the computer you're overwriting, and export your bookmarks. Then completely erase your Firefox profile directory on that computer and replace it with the entire profile directory from the other computer. Then re-import your bookmarks.