PDA

View Full Version : Rather Watch then Play?

KeybladeMaster503
01-08-2005, 12:15 AM
I prefier to watch. Like I watched my sister's X boyfriend play FFX all the time and he was telling me what was going on and how to battle and things. It was just great watching the cutsceens and such. Like I asked something and he would answer it. But that was about 2 years ago...sob. I would rather play Kingdom Hearts instead though. Watching it wouldn't really do anything... I like watching FF games

kikimm
01-08-2005, 01:12 AM
I know how some people are complaining that movies are turning more into interactive movies, but honestly---I prefer it this way. :) It's the story that I buy the games for anyways. But I like playing the game myself, rather than watching someone else do it. I like playing/wathing my games alone, thank you very much.

:D

Sepho
01-08-2005, 06:39 AM
There are a few game series I much prefer watching, such as the Resident Evil series (likely as a result of the WORST CONTROLS OVER), but the FF games don't fall into that category. I played through FF7 with a friend, and watching him play drove me crazy.

KeybladeMaster503
01-08-2005, 08:12 PM
I watch Resident Evil too! So funny if someone is like owning the Zombie while you watch like "DIE DID EI DIDIEID!!"

Necronopticous
01-08-2005, 08:30 PM
It's weird to hear you say that you like watching people play video games, especially Final Fantasy. I thought I was the only person in the world.

When I introduced my ex girlfriend to Final Fantasy I watched her play all through Final Fantasy X, then VII, then IX, and some of VIII. I love the games so much that I like watching as someone else experiences them, it's also always nice to see the story again.

RedCydranth
01-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm more of the playing type of player. I used to watch my friend play Metroid for SNES when I was younger, and Double Dragon vs. Battletoads. But RPGs I'm king and all my friends acknowledge that. If anyone is a watcher of RPGs it is them. I'm a watcher of fighting games (Tekken) and action games (Ratchet and Clank style). The only games besides RPGs i play are the occasional decent Flight Simulator. Not many good ones out though.

As a kid I watched my brother play FFVI (Then it was known as FF3) and I absorbed everything because I knew someday I'd be playing.

DJZen
01-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I'd prefer to play. If I wanted to watch, I'd get a movie. If I wanted a good story, I'd read a book. Come to think of it....

*Busts out The Killer Angels*

Lord Chainsaw
01-09-2005, 07:02 AM
I don't watch other people play much, unless I'm coaching them in Mega Man 3. It brought tears to my eyes to see a novice friend of mine take down Gemini Man with the plasma shot. He wanted to use the two E Tanks from the stage, but I told him he wasn't gonna use those or the search snake.

I plan to ease him into the plasma ring with the rest of the robot masters. Snake, Hard, Top, and Magnet are jokes. I've seen him take Spark and Gemini. Don't know if I can get him to take Needle. Shadow is out of the question until he gets his own damn copy of the game.

I also like to watch people play Wizards & Warriors 1, due to the fact that there are unlimited continues from the spot you die at. It doesn't matter how much they suck since they'll beat it eventually. I get to see a damn cool game without lifting a finger.

Trumpet Thief
01-09-2005, 10:41 PM
chaos: Play Xenosaga. If you like it, then that'll give you your answer. 75% of that game was movies, but the storyline was excellent.

Rubedo: Otherwise, I like to watch. Most of the time, people's idea of gameplay is running around, and gaining levels until everything is maxed out.

Captain Maxx Power
01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Watching a game is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...no, wait, no it isn't. I think the quality of a game affects how watchable it is, and the type of game. It's obviously a lot more fun to watch a cinematic, story driven game such as Final Fantasy, but probably a complete bore to watch someone play Everquest for hours on end. Really it depends a lot on what's being played and what's being done at the time.

Sefie1999AD
01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Nowadays I like storylines in games, and I have a harder time to like games that are just action or battles with little to no story. But it depends on games. I'd definitely want to rather watch than play something like Final Fantasy II since the storyline is great but the gameplay is quite tedious (not sure about the GBA version, though). But for games that don't have much storyline, I'd prefer to play myself. Anyone would rather watch old games like Tetris or Pacman than play them? :D

As for storyline vs. gameplay, I think the game can be very fun even without a good storyline if the gameplay is enjoyable. However, even if the storyline is great, if the game is very boring to play, the plot isn't enough to save the game, IMHO. Nevertheless, a game that is heavily based on storyline will remain more memorable for me than one that is heavily based on gameplay.

Yuffie514
01-12-2005, 11:20 PM
watching and playing are both fun, but i'm missing out if i just sitting on the sofa, watching my brother play a game.

Del Murder
01-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Play all the way. Like Zen said, I'd go see a movie if I wanted to watch. They are much better.

Yuffie514
01-25-2005, 10:18 PM
...sometimes watching is funner. it's almost like getting a review of the game before i play it. like if my brother's playing a game that looks interesting to me, then i'll want to start my own file.

ShunNakamura
01-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Yuffie514 hit that on the nose with the review. Plus I have had people watch me play certian games.. as well as I have watched them play certian games.

I remember one friend of mine who would never sit and watch someone else play, used to watch me play this particular game and new years when we had a crap load of pop. why did he watch you ask? Because it was hilarious. The game was Abes Odysee(however you spell it) and some how I was jumping off this high platform and not dieing... however my friend had jumped off before and did die... he tries again.. dies.. I do it... I bounce back up... he tells me to do it again... and again... Only I could do it.. In fact I was doing similar things trhoughout the whole game... just stupidified him.. I still dont know how I did it.. luck I guess.

Another game I have been watched playing before(by my bro) are Parasite Eve and U.N. Squadron(he much prefers to play it himself but he does watch at times). Both are once again because I can do some really wacky stuff in them.

I liked to watch my bro play megaman zero or watch my bro and a freind play brawl brothers.. .and they liked me watching(in the past). This was becuase I would voice act for the characters in the scenes.. I used to be good at that stuff.. but no more... my voice cracked in late puberty(3-4 years ago) and I haven't been the same since.

anyways I like watching some action games... But I much prefer playing FF's... although watching Boss Battles can sometimes be fun.

Daryl
01-26-2005, 04:23 AM
I do like to watch. When I play I loose attention really fast these days. If I am watching, I can read a book during the boring parts (i.e. battles instead of fun fun story).

Destai
01-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Its funny, You can even buy X and X-2 on DVD on some websites.

Yuffie514
01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Yuffie514 hit that on the nose with the review. Plus I have had people watch me play certian games.. as well as I have watched them play certian games.

i became a fan of so many games because i watched my brother play them. that's how i got to like The Legend of Zelda. :D

DJZen
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Its funny, You can even buy X and X-2 on DVD on some websites.

That's 'cause they WERE DVDs. :p

NOFX1117
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
hey thats a coincidense, i used to sit for hours watching my brother play lagend of zelda a link to the past, but never liked to play cuz i always got soo nervous, because when he played he was nervous, but now because of that i play a lot of games and kick their ass, and i like the zelda series but i like the final fantasy series better, but my brother still prefers zelda, i like final fantasy mainly bacause if the game gets hard u can take some time and it gets easier plus theres more weapons and cool magic

rubicant
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
I know how some people are complaining that movies are turning more into interactive movies, but honestly---I prefer it this way. :) It's the story that I buy the games for anyways. But I like playing the game myself, rather than watching someone else do it. I like playing/wathing my games alone, thank you very much.

:D

-Amen:thumb:

Quina
02-09-2005, 02:12 AM
I'd rather eat, but playing is second.

eestlinc
02-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I hate watching people play because I just want to kick them and play instead.