PDA

View Full Version : On the reviews of the DS and PSP

Symphonic
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
This is not a place showing links to reviews for the Nintendo DS or Sony's PSP. I just wanted to comment on the way these to handhelds are reviewed by some websites and many people (gamefaqs). Its just the way that the two systems are never reviewed by just what the system can, but what it can do it comparison to other systems. Normally, this is actually resonable. For these two new handhelds, it doesn't really apply. Both systems have graphics above what any other handhelds have ever show before. But you always see the DS being put down about its graphics, i.e. the PSP is better because it has good graphics. The systems are never reviewed indiviualy, but in comparison to the other, at least for the Nintendo DS (always getting compared to the PSP). Ok, rant over.

Tidus Andronicus
01-20-2005, 05:55 AM
This is true... unfortunetly, but its the easiest way to rate something by comparing it to something simmilar... I can't even rate one or the other without comparing them. And my knowlege of the PSP is limited only to the demo model I've tested at work, and everything I can find to read about it.

Frankly, if I had the money, I would get the PSP. Its actually a decent system... and I believe sony did a good job in executing it... but its not very ecconomical when you look at it... (in a way I still compare the 2 systems) The PSP will be between $180 and $250 because at this point the only thing we have to go on is the japanese price... there is no doubt that when it does come out that it will be packaged with at least 1 other game, so it will probably be more expensive than the 180. The other thing with the PSP is the obvious flaws: basically the battery life is between 2 and 7 hours. 2 with wireless (and backlight/fullsound) and 7 with most features turned off. The other flaws are the speratic disk ejection, overheating, and screen bubbles.. but its likely that Sony will fix those soon.
I love the way the PSP looks, and its playablility is nice with that analog stick. not to mention the graphics.
If your gonna buy a PSP, I'd wait for about a year, cause then it would be cheaper, and Sony would be likely to fix any flaws with it.

The DS also has its fair share of wonderful features, including price, battery life, and expandability (bios upgrades and such)... amoung other things... too many to bother posting here... But the DS, being more cost effective, has its downside, mainly the graphics are more N64 than PS1/2... but whatever its still amasing. lol Play can sometimes be a little awkward, since the buttons are small, and most the play is based off the touch screen (although I like that).

Both systems are wonderful, and have their own advantages... they are really different systems... the touch pad vs the joy stick XD

There are a few Reviews out there that don't use the other system to compare. But if you want to read those to help you choose which one to buy... you'll get no where. Each system is great, and each has their own advantages... it almost depends on what kind of games you play, or your preference in companies... lol One could say that your choice of handheld systems might demonstrait your personallity XD
I prefer the DS, for features and for price. But there are also great reasons to like the PSP.

But of course, my post is exactly what you where talking about... cause I completely compared the 2 lol.
But what good is a review that doesn't? You wouldn't be able to choose the one you'd like if they didn't... (of course my review is favoring the DS, so it would be better to read one that prefers the psp, or one that doesn't choose sides at all.)

Some people are complete PSP supporters and others are all for the DS =/ I've heard comments like the DS is more of a child's system (totally wrong), or the PSP is just sony's way of trying to dominate the market... but its just peoples preference... I my self was all over the PS2 when it came out, and I prefer it to Xbox...(although I also like the GC)

I don't think your trying to choose either, I just think your looking for a review that doesn't compare the 2... and I'd guess thats the best way to find out exactly what each system is best at. ^_^;

Raistlin
01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I think the comparison is pretty simple. The PSP is more powerful, better graphics, and more expensive(though not as much as originally thought because of Sony's big reduction on starting cost). The DS is less powerful, less quality graphics, and cheaper.

Lindy
01-20-2005, 02:21 PM
And both consoles have a poor selection of games.

Isn't that what really matters when you're picking something that PLAYS games, not the quality it'll play them at, or how long it can, but whether you can actually play something that's fun on it.

Xander
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I think Lindsey just made the best point.

The DS just seems kinda gimmicky to me. The PSP...nah..I prefer cartridges for portable games.

Personally I think the GBA is still a perfectly fine portable gaming system, small, cute, long battery time, backlight, etc, with good games still being released.