PDA

View Full Version : Cid is NOT proununced "Sid"

MJN SEIFER
01-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Despite comon beleif and what FFTSW says Cid doesnot equal "sid" It's proounced with a long "ii" similar to "ee".

In other words it's pronounced "Seed".

Trust me on this one.

Necronopticous
01-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Not in English it isn't.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, yeah. El Cid was a Spanish guy.

Loony BoB
01-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Yes. You're absoloutely right.

Just in the same way that, in FFVI, Terra is pronounced Tina, Sabin is pronounced Mash, Arvis is pronounced Jun, Duane is pronounced Dean, Madonna is pronounced Madaline. Vicks is pronounced Biggs. Oh, and the summon Crusader is pronounced Jihad.

Once you come down to it, it's down to how you read it - unless it's spoken in the translation of the game, in which case it's pronounced exactly how they translate it. That goes for the movie, too. Maybe in the case of El Cid it should be pronounced differently as it's obviously a Spanish name, but he's not called El Cid in every game and I sure as hell don't think he looks anything like a Spanish man in FFVII..

Flamethrower
01-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Even if you're right, I'm still going to pronouce it "Sid". I don't like "Seed". Reminds me of FFVIII.

MJN SEIFER
01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
I still end up with "Sid" really

And yes it should remind you off FF8 - it's there where I found out.

theundeadhero
01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Maybe he means Sean?

Oh, well. I'm still gonna call the game version hotty.

DJZen
01-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it actually pronounced "Shiido" in the Japanese version?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-09-2005, 10:19 PM
That's because "shi" is preferred over "si" in Japanese. Both "Cid" and "SeeD" are pronounced "shido" in Japanese.

Martyr
01-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Well then...

I think the answer to this question lies in the answer to another!

What do you get when you multiply six by...

Wait. That's not it, hold on.

"What is the international landiage of the world!"

Yes friends, it used to be French, and I do not know the French pronunciation of "Cid," but that is still irrelevant! The language that Chinamen scream over the airwaves when they're bringing in a plane from Sweden is English!

When we are introduced to proper pronunciaton of a word that is spoken internationally, it may be pronounced "Shido" in Japan, "Seed" in Spain, and "http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif" in Miami, but it will always be Cid in English. (Or, at least, until we decide that another language should be the so-called predominant one.)

RedCydranth
01-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Here's my arguement. If you live in Japan and you pronounce "Cid" like Poop, then in Japan its poop. But here, where we speak english, the letters C, I and D placed in that order sounds like "sid". If in Botswana it sounds like Horse, then in botswana CID is horse. But I speak english and Cid sounds like Sid. Done. No arguing that.

If you are gonna argue about how the japanese pronounce things and say we should pronounce it their way, why translate a game? Its translated so we can understand it. One thing that really pisses me off is telling me that a simple word like "Cid" is pronounced incorrectly, and i should say it like the japanese do.

if you want to sound like a moron for the rest of your life, you go call it Sheed or w/e. But I, along with everyone else is going to call him Cid.

rubah
01-10-2005, 12:31 AM
I'd rather go with ffx's voice acting. That might be a bit of. . . whatever, but still.
sid! sid! sid!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-10-2005, 02:00 AM
One thing that really pisses me off is telling me that a simple word like "Cid" is pronounced incorrectly, and i should say it like the japanese do.Good thing no one told you that, then.

Slade
01-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Its like Tidus and Tifa. Ive always called them Tee-dus and Tee-fa and thats how theyre pronounced in Japan too. But ive heard people call Tidus Tide-us and Tifa (this one pisses me off) Tiff-ah :mad: . But anyway, Cid ive always called Cid....err as in Sid. :D

Flashback007
01-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh, and the summon Crusader is pronounced Jihad.

That could give some troubles nowadays. But I have heard it before. That names changes when they go to another country. Ofcourse Loony BoB already named the FFVI-names. But what to think of Kary or Marilith (if I spelled it right). And there are more of these things. Reina from V was once called Lenna if I am correct. But good that is not Cid. It pronounce Cid as Sid. Even when it's against the law I will pronouce it as Sid. Like Flamethrower said Seed reminds to much of FFVIII, But everyone has his own manners of speaking it out. If I remeber correctly we already once has a discussion about this about another name.

Captain Maxx Power
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I always pronounced it "sarlongtigantuolaron". You mean to tell me I've been grossly misinformed?

Lain
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Is there any diffrence between Sid and Seed? It sounds exactly the same for me. I might be wrong cos I'm not from english-speaking country

Flying Mullet
01-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I always pronounced it "sarlongtigantuolaron". You mean to tell me I've been grossly misinformed?
I guess so. :(

DMKA
01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I remember everyone in FFX and X-2 calling Rikku's father "Sid" not "Seed".

So you are indeed wrong...in a certain sense anyway, which happens to be the one that matters.

MJN SEIFER
01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Its like Tidus. Ive always called Tidus Tee-dus thats how theyre pronounced in Japan too.

It's Tee-Dah acutally.

Flamethrower
01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
But ive heard people call Tidus Tide-us and Tifa (this one pisses me off) Tiff-ah :mad:

That's how I pronouce both Tidus and Tifa. :riiight: I know I'm wrong, but that's what I originally called them when I first saw their name, and it's hard to change something once you've been doing it for so long.

rubah
01-11-2005, 12:18 AM
I say 'tif-ah' too. Because it's like it's short for tiffani. except it isn't. but it's sorta like it is.

And Tii-dus is a perfectly *right* name. TV and the Bible tell us that.

RedCydranth
01-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Is there any diffrence between Sid and Seed? It sounds exactly the same for me. I might be wrong cos I'm not from english-speaking country

The I in Sid is pronounced like the I in fish an "ih" sound not "ee"

I always pronounced Tidus like Tide-us. Tee-dus sounds dumb. I always thought it was Tee-fa not tiff-ah.

There are people who call Sephiroth Sepa-roth in my area. I want to punch them.

I know I'm wrong but I've always pronounced Chocobo like koko-bo not Choko-bo. I like the sound koko-bo better than choko-bo. Its like the sea animal Conch is pronounced kahnk NOT konch. the CH is a K sound like in Chord. But by far the worst pronounciation od chocobo is Choco-bo (like chololate, but where theres a late you place bo. Choco-bo | choco-late).

With exception of FFX and X-2 any name can be pronounced how you veiw it. Tidus is the exception cuz his name is never spoken in X or X-2.

Flamethrower
01-11-2005, 01:09 AM
I never played FFX so I'm curious to know how they could go the entire game without saying the main character's name once.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-11-2005, 01:50 AM

well, then how do you prounounce it?

BG-57
01-11-2005, 02:02 AM
I don't have a problem pronouncing a Spanish name with English rules any more than other languages modifying English words to suit their own rules. Share and be well. :)

Incidently, in the Castillian dialect of Spanish, Cid would be pronounced 'Theed'.

UltimaLimit
01-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Calling him "seed" makes him sound like I should bury him in the ground and hope that a Chain-Smoking-Cursing-Pilot Tree will grow. :mad:

BG-57's right. And BG, did you ever notice that this makes 2 FF7 names people lisp on (counting "Theed")? What pisses me off is when I see "Aerith" all over the place. I respect the Japanese and their language and culture, but pity the poor being who tries to convert me to pronouncing and spelling English translations the original languages' way. Please, just spell it like it's intended, and pronounce it however the hell you want. :grumble:

kikimm
01-11-2005, 03:08 AM
I've always pronounced it Sid. Because that's how it is---FFX told me so. :) Along with Tee-dus, which was mentioned in one of the official trailers. I always thought it was Tee-fa too, because when I was yougner, I always thought it was Tina. So going from Tina to Tee-fa wasn't that hard, when I saw what her actual name was.

So yeah.

:D

MoonsEcho
01-11-2005, 08:44 AM
It's always been "Sid" for me. And "Tide-us" because "Tee-dus" just makes him sound like more of a wuss than people already say he is. Tifa has always been "Tee-fa", and Aeris was ALWAYS "Air-iss". I HATE the "Aerith" pronounciation. It might look okay spelled that way, but the actual word just sounds like someone with a lisp trying to say "Aeris."

How do you guys pronounce Celes? That one has always bugged me, because it's almost like the name "Celeste" got cut short. I pronounce it a few different ways in my head, usually it sounds something like "sel-ez" or something to that effect.

RedCydranth
01-11-2005, 09:01 AM
There are people who call Sephiroth Sepa-roth in my area. I want to punch them.well, then how do you prounounce it?

Try Like it is spelled? PH= F not P. Seffa-roth (I doubled the F so you wouldn't think it was Seefa-roth. Because it seems some of you can't pronounce simple letters. )

Cid is Sid because I's do not sound like double E's when following a hard C (Hard Cs are S sounds; soft Cs are K sounds. I've long said C's aren't necessary alone. Only followed by an H is C useful.). Cinnamon isn't Ceenamon. You don't smoke Ceegarettes. They are Cigarettes. Cid is NOT Seed.

Celes is pronounced Sel-iss, or at least thats what makes sense to me.

MJN SEIFER, No. In NO way can you justify TIDUS beind TEEDUH. I don't care who you are or where you are from S is NEVER an "uh" sound. Like I said if you want to get into arguements with everyone you know and look like a moron who thinks he knows everything, then you go saying teeduh, meanwhile I'm gonna go be right and sat Tidus. Teedus sounds better than Teeduh. You are a Tee "duh'.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
MJN SEIFER, No. In NO way can you justify TIDUS beind TEEDUH. I don't care who you are or where you are from S is NEVER an "uh" sound. Like I said if you want to get into arguements with everyone you know and look like a moron who thinks he knows everything, then you go saying teeduh, meanwhile I'm gonna go be right and sat Tidus. Teedus sounds better than Teeduh. You are a Tee "duh'.Much of FFX's setting is based on Okinawa, and in the Okinawan dialect, Tidus is read "Tida." It doesn't make any less sense than, say, French. I certainly don't call him "Tida," myself, though.

Hawkeye
01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
i come from a land that says missouri and tomate about 50 different ways; i can pronounce "cid" however the hell i want too :D

Kamrusepas
01-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't pronounce Tidus in the english way, but with a long i.
And I don't really know about the Cid-thing, Final Fantasy names can be pronounced differently.
Like, in FFVIII [it's the best one, no matter what someone said], I don't pronounce Matron like it's supposed to in English, but [matroon]. For some reason.

Slade
01-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok ive wondered this one for a while now: How do you properly pronounce SEIFER. For some reason ive always pronounced him as Cypher (like the dude from the Matrix)....but I know this isnt right (or at least i think it isnt) and the spelling looks like its probably like Sephiroth- Sefer or even Seefer (the extra E works in the I sound): what do you think?

Flamethrower
01-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I always prounced it "Seff-er" like the first half of Sephiroth.

turnitup5000db
01-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Seifer and Sephiroth actually have the same hebrew root word (believe it or not the word is sephiroth...), meaning numbers. Its the root of the english Cypher, which gradually developed the meaning of "having no influence or value." As Seifer was a pawn, it makes sense. For sephiroth, some people think it refers to the little numbered clones running around. Anyway... Just thought I'd drop that tidbit. If you want more name origins, go here.
http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/nchara.shtml#8

RedCydranth
01-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Seizure is pronounced Seezher, so Seifer is Seefer

Sei is pronounced See.

turnitup5000db
01-12-2005, 12:46 AM
*Points to the website*

Slade
01-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Seizure is pronounced Seezher, so Seifer is Seefer

Sei is pronounced See.

Yeah i can see how that works and i do believe it is the right way of pronouncing it, but then theres Steiner. I know theres a T but it should still have the same sound, but no. It St-eye-ner. Thats probably another reason why i call Seifer S-eye-fer.

DJZen
01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Guys, we're talking about PROPER pronunciation, not whether or not you're allowed to say things however you want.

If we're speaking cannonically in terms of what the english games have actually given us to work with, there's very little, but Cid in FFX is clearly pronounced as the name is said in English. Similarly, Tidus's name has been sounded out in Kingdom Hearts as "Tee-dus". You're allowed to pronounce "Moogle" like "fruity pebbles" if you want, but that won't make it correct.

Things change if we're using the etymological roots. At that point Cid definitely becomes "Seed", or "Theed" if you WANT to use the Castillian accent, but the majority of Spanish speaking people in the world don't have that accent, and at the time story was written I have no idea if the Castillian accent was in use.... Things get infinitely MORE confusing when you consider that El Cid is actually an Arabic story, the title of which I have never seen spelled but I have heard it pronounced "Al Sayeed". @.@

The only way to really know how these names are meant to be pronounced is to look at the Japanese spelling of them and the English translitteration. Japanese letters can only be pronounced one way (which is based on the regional dialect of course), but in English you change the pronunciation based on the word. Many words used as names in FF do not exist in English, so the name "Seifer" just gets pronounced arbitrarily. In order to figure out how it was intended to be pronounced, just look at the way it was written in Japanese. I don't have the Japanese game or any official books on the game in ANY language, so I can only echo what I've heard, which may or may not be correct. I have read that it is pronounced "Cypher", which makes sense if it's meant to be Germanic, since "ei" in German is pronounced the way we would say "eye".

BG-57
01-12-2005, 10:23 PM
As long as we have only 26 letters to cover the 40 or so phonemes (pronounced sounds), we'll have some abiguity in pronunciation. Certainly there are rules, but there are also variations based on dialect and exceptions (Ex: Polish and polish are spelled the same but pronounced differently). And as DJZen pointed out, pronunciation evolves over time.

Personally I wish the game creators could contact the English translators and inform them the sources of the names. That would have avoided some of the worse errors in translation.

TheSpoonyBard
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
This is how I pronounce all of the names mentioned. They may not be right, but I am entitled to interpret the written word as I please. So I have.

Cid = Sid
Tifa = Tee-fah
Tidus = Tye-dus
Sephiroth = Seff-ih-roth
Seifer = Sy-fer
Aeris = Air-rees

RedCydranth
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
This is where all of you get confused. Cid, Seifer, Tidus etc... are all names translated from Japanese to english. So, if this sentence "It was a dark lonesome road" was in a FF and translated from japanes to english, would you still say it in japanese? Nope. In spanish? Nope. German? Nope. Why? because its written there in english. I don't care what entymological roots it has, nor if the word originated in Uzbekistan. The fact that its written in english with everything else in english means you pronounce it as english.

Cid is Sid
Tidus is Ty-dus
Seifer is See-fur

That is how the english language pronounces these words and that is how I pronounce them. The only one with arguable pronunciation is Tidus which in KH is pronounced Tee-dus. But everyone I know pronounces it Ty-dus, and they all agree Tee-dus makes him sound stupid.

Slade (cool name BTW. Slade is a ninja in one of my favorite games, Shining Force 2) you already made my point. S followed by an ei makes an "ee" sound, Place another consonant and it changes everything. You are right, it SHOULD give the same sound. But the fact is that it doesn't.
Steiner is actually an anomoly. In no onther word besides stein does an ei follow an st. look at these words. Sheik (sheek), Skein (skeen), protein (proteen). ei in english is most commonly "ee" ONLY in stein is it "eye".

Yuffie514
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
i'm just goin to pronounce the names the way they are in the English version since i live in America.

AoiSora
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
hmmm...something that no one else said anything about. Aerith sounding like a lisp? It's Latin, and in Latin, "th" is pronounced "sss."
Like a backwards lisp or something. For example, listen to One Winged Angel. The chorus is singing it like "Sephiross" I still use the "th" pronounciation in Sephiroth though. I like it.

rubah
01-13-2005, 01:12 AM
I still don't see seefer.

Sheik can be pronounced as 'shAk' according to merriam webster, and alternate spellings for skein are skeane and skean. And the sample provided sounds clearly like 'skane'

So if we're following the rules of english, seifer should then be say-fer.

If we consult a dictionary, there are about five cei words. Using cei, because of the similarity in the soft c sound. We have ceiba, ceil, ceiling, ceilometer, and ceinture. the ceil* words have the 'see' sound, whereas ceiba and ceinture have an 'say' sound. Obviously English hardly follows rules. Let's skip over to sei.
There's 26 words, most of them to do with seigneur. much more than half of those have the 'say' sound. the exceptions are seize, seismo*, seidel, and Seidlitz, which is a proper noun:)

So really, you can't be absolutely sure that seefer is correct:) Safer is just as logical, following the 'rules' of English, and cypher sounds better than both, imho:D

Slade
01-13-2005, 08:00 PM
This is how I pronounce all of the names mentioned. They may not be right, but I am entitled to interpret the written word as I please. So I have.

Cid = Sid
Tifa = Tee-fah
Tidus = Tye-dus
Sephiroth = Seff-ih-roth
Seifer = Sy-fer
Aeris = Air-rees

Same here except for Tidus. I pronounce him with TEE not TY. I used to think it was lame but now i prefer the proper pronounciation.
Your the only other person i know who calls Aeris AIR REES like the zodiac sign.

BTW thanx RedCydranth for the comment about my name. Its actually from a cartoon i enjoy called Teen Titans....Slades one of the main badguys. Thats him in my avatar. :D

MJN SEIFER
01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
You are a Tee "duh'.

LOL! :chuckle:

Seifer

I've heard else where that this is wrong but i've always said "Seefer"

OT is it true that "Seifer" actually means "Zero/Nothing"?

If it did it would fit his storyline abit.

(NOT A FLAME!!)

velvet.fireball
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
how embaressed am i!?!

i used to say sep-a-roth, and choca-bo (like chocolate) and i also called tifa tif-fa, and tee-das (the reason being i heard james arnold taylor say it on the dvd so i assumed it must be right).......but the most embaressing thing is that i used to pronounce regan as ray-gan (like the president) but my cousin prounounced it ree-gan. thankfully a good friend of mine was gracious enough to let me know that it was prounounced re-gen like regenerate - silly me!

ok so don't hold this against me, i just live in a part of the uk where people weren't taught how to talk properly and i didnt know many ff fans to correct me.

Alexander
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
I say the way I wanna say \o\ Even if it isn't the proper way XD

rubah
01-17-2005, 12:40 AM
*shrugs* I still say regen as reagan.

Ree-jin just sounds so lame.

Flamethrower
01-17-2005, 01:05 AM
I agree. I pronounce it "Regain" since it slowly let's you regain heath. I know Regen is short for regenerate, but regain sounds better.

Slade
01-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Ive always said Regen as REG-IN (pronouncing a G not a J and IN instead of an en or even gain).....it sounds more like a magic. :D

RedCydranth
01-17-2005, 03:01 AM
i used to say choca-bo (like chocolate)

It IS Chocobo like chocolate. I was saying I chocobo improperly. I'm aware of my error but out of habit, won't change.

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2005, 03:19 AM
I always pronounced Tidus like Tide-us. Tee-dus sounds dumb. I always thought it was Tee-fa not tiff-ah.

I know I'm wrong but I've always pronounced Chocobo like koko-bo not Choko-bo. I like the sound koko-bo better than choko-bo. Its like the sea animal Conch is pronounced kahnk NOT konch. the CH is a K sound like in Chord. But by far the worst pronounciation od chocobo is Choco-bo (like chololate, but where theres a late you place bo. Choco-bo | choco-late).

With exception of FFX and X-2 any name can be pronounced how you veiw it. Tidus is the exception cuz his name is never spoken in X or X-2.

Let's see, I agree with you, Cid as Sid, Tifa as tee-fa, Tidus as Ti-dus, and Chocobo as koko-bo. That's how I pronounced all of them originally.

oh and for he who asked, I pronounce Sephiroth, as Seph-i-roth. What happened to phonetics in english?!?!?

rubah
01-17-2005, 03:25 AM
it's chocobo like chocolate if you say chocolate 'choke-a-let'

I tend to say it 'chah-kuh-let' though:)

RedCydranth
01-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Chocobo = Choh-koh-boh

Chocolate = chawk-lit.

I said its the same as chocolate because of the ch sound, not the K sound.

I say chocobo wrong, and I'm aware of its incorrectness.

I say: Ko-Ko-Bo

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Ill say them the way I want as follows.

Cid:Sid , its not seed like V111 like ( seed owns seed at balamb garden)

Tidus:Tide-us, tide like his element water

Tifa:Tif-uh, by habbit I dont call it teef, tif is fine

Chocobo: Choke-uh-bow like suffocate not dark candy.

Aeris: Air-iss because I like it that way

Steiner: Stain-er even though its like a poop mark in your pants

Sephiroth: Sef-ih-roth, I hate when people say sephi-roath

Ill post when I think of more

Cid
01-21-2005, 02:44 AM
:(:(:(

Flamethrower
01-21-2005, 03:42 AM
Steiner: Stain-er even though its like a poop mark in your pant

I'm 99% sure that Steiner is pronounced "Stine-er", not sure how you got "Stainer" out of that. :p

velvet.fireball
01-26-2005, 11:05 PM
oh thank goodness someone else pronounces it reagan - i felt like such an idiot when i found out it was nothing like that.

i always thought chocobo was like choke-o-bow because that's how the chocobo knights say it, but i guess its each to his/ her own. as long as you love final fantasy it doesnt really matter how you say it

crashNUMBERS
02-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Even if you're right, I'm still going to pronouce it "Sid". I don't like "Seed". Reminds me of FFVIII.

true

also i used to call sephiroth pernounced as "seferowth"

Samuraid
02-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Although that may be the correct way to pronounce "Cid" based on the game from Japan, "seed" just sounds stupid...in the same way "teedus" sounds stupid.

"Sid" and "Tide-us" sound far better IMHO. Feel free to disagree and you are fully entitled to do so. :D

feioncastor
02-08-2005, 04:09 AM
It's proounced with a long "ii" similar to "ee".

That would be a long "e", not a long "i".

Long "i" makes the sound "i", as in the word "eye" or "I", perhaps.

Feion