PDA

View Full Version : character voices

FinalLethal
01-10-2005, 04:13 AM
I dont know if this has been brought up before, but does anyone feel that unless they get the character voices in english exactly right, that they will ruin the image of the characters in the game? I mean i have been using my imagination to create Seph and Clouds voice and it suits perfectly (even though i cant explain it, im sure its the same with everyone) but if they get some moron actor to make Seph and Cloud sound horrible, they are gonna butcher my perceptions on those characters and ruin my already established and perfect ideas of how they would sound.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-10-2005, 04:38 AM
The Japanese voices are pretty spot on, so if they use those as a guide for casting the English-language voice actors, everything should be fine. Then again, a voice could even sound nothing like it does in the Japanese version and still be appropriate for its given character. I'm optimistic either way.

TheAbominatrix
01-10-2005, 04:47 AM
The Japanese voices sound great, and I really dont care how the English voices sound, as I dont plan to watch a dubbed version of it.

=Angelus=
01-10-2005, 05:57 AM
i think everyone would have a different idea on how they'd sound... like when i went to watch the Asterix and Obelix(is that spelt right?) movie.. they sounded completely different from what i expected.... but well.. if cloud sounds cool (as usual) and seph as.. how do i put it... demented? as he usually is.. i think i'll enjoy the show :D

meowwl
01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I am still hyperventilating about Vincent's voice from trailer 3..oooooh my gods..I'm gonna cry if he doesn't sound as hot in the english version..though if I had to choose a substitute, I think Crispin Freeman would be a good one...or maybe him for Sephiroth. :love: .who according to this site, click here (http://www.final-fantasy.it/advent.html) is back!

kikimm
01-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Personally, I'm really looking forward to watching it in Japanese. The voices are all wonderful, and they fit the characters perfectly in my opinion. Although I hope they'll employ American voice actors who really know what they're doing (.hack//mutation series=gag). I'm sure we'll be fine though. I'll probably be freaking out the entire first time watching it anyways, to really listen to the voices.

I'm not worryin` yet.

:D

finalheaven
01-11-2005, 09:30 PM
hmmm..well the japanese voices are totally great...but it would be easier to watch it in english...i think i'd watch both..subbed and dubbed to get both feelings..u know if u get what i mean ^_^

Neko
01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I shall be watching both the English and that Japanese versions, and I can see one of two things happening with the translation;

1 - The voices just don't match the characters (e.g. Fruits Basket. Sorry if you like the English version but I hate it! >.< )

2 - They change the script around and make the characters seem very out of character (like Saiyuki, where ALL the characters swear FAR too much, particularly Hakkai who rarely, if ever, swears.)

I'll probably end up doing what I usually do and start watching it in English, decide that I hate it and change it back to Japanese!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a good translation, though *crosses fingers*

I was disappointed when I heard that it wasn't Miki Shini'ichiro (sp?) doing Sephiroth's voice :(

Ja
Neko

amratis
02-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd probabaly watch both aswell. The english voices had better be good though. I always prefer to watch films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the orginal language, I dont know, it just feels more right, I guess its a more elegant language :confused: if the voices for AC are good though, that would be fantastic, apparently, and I would like to stress the apparently because I havent played it myself, the voice of Cloud in KH's is supposed to be pretty good??

amra

TheAbominatrix
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
KH voices were done by professional, high-paid actors. I cant remember Cloud, but there's some big names in there like Mandy Moore and David Boreanz. I dont know this for fact, but given Square's track record I can safely say that it was Disney's influence and cash that got these actors on board. I doubt we'll be hearing them in AC, it'll most likely be the typical voice actor ilk. Dont get your hopes up for any better quality that the VA in X (not that I disliked it, but KH's was most certainly better).

amratis
02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Yes I heard about those names you mentioned, David whathisname did Angel didnt he. I've had a look and Cloud was done by Steve something, no-one I've heard of. Maybe I should get the game just to see. As long as they dont distract from the enjoyment of the film and are even half in-character then I wont mind too much

TheAbominatrix
02-09-2005, 11:33 PM
You can check out the full VA list at imdb.com, which will also give you lists of all the other roles those actors have had.

Destai
02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
David Boreanaz was an excellent choice for Leon but I dont think he could have pulled it off if he was playing the younger Squall. With the amount of detail they've gone through for the rest of the movie I dont think they'll dissapoint with the voices even if the worst is a mediocre voice.

Im pretty sure they'll abandon anything remotely close to Lance Bass (though he wasnt half bad in KH) for Sephiroths voice and replace it with a more masculine and far older sounding voice. If they can come close to the KH Cloud and Aeris I wouldnt be dissapointed. Barret and Yuffie would be easy enough. For vincent I'd expect someone clear and well spoken. Red XIII I honestly dont know though a light english accent would be interesting (I wouldnt bet on it :D ) and for Cid just some tough toned down yokel. In my mind Tifa lies in between Yuffie and Aerises voices. I think something along the lines of the voice for Yuffie in KH and a more aggressive teen girl for Yuffie herself.

Squares going all out for this movie though they're watching how they spend but I would be seriously suprised if it didnt have English voices outside of JP.

amratis
02-10-2005, 02:17 AM
I really hope they do go all out on it. Theres alot of fan's waiting for this movie, and alot riding on what Square produces. It's just the waiting for it I can't stand. I've now watched some clips from KH's and I think Leon was pretty good, wasn't overly fond of Aeris's. she was ok though. I liked Cloud's alot, I think it would be good if they could get him for AC, doubtful though I suppose.

Nova Briar
02-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I plan on watching Advent Children both subbed and dubbed, because while I'm guessing that I'll probably like the Japanese voice acting better, I can see more detail in the character's expressions and actions if I'm not trying to read the little words at the bottom of the screen. :p

Unless the voices are way out-of-character (read: Sephiroth or Vincent having a squeaky tenor... :eek: ), I think I can handle whoever ends up being the voice actors. Even if they don't quite mesh with my pre-set schema of what a particular character "should" sound like, I'm sure I'll be so hyper over the fact that I'm finally watching Advent Children for the first four or five viewings that I won't even notice littler details...like if Cloud's voice is deeper than what I expected, for instance.

The thing I'm most worried about is that there'll be a big rush to get Advent Children to the English-speaking markets, and that Squenix will push to get the English voice track done too quickly...resulting in one or even several odd moments in the movie when the voices just flat-out don't match up with the movements of the characters' mouths. That would really ruin the experience for me...although I did find it funny when watching the old Godzilla movies... ;)

But anyway--compared to sitting there and watching Tifa's mouth move when she's not "saying" anything, I think I can handle something like a voice that sounds a little different than I had imagined it would. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Briar

amratis
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
As long as Cloud doesnt sound like Tidus I'll be ok. Like I've said, long as they're vaguely in character, everything will be fine for me.

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 02:13 AM
As long as Cloud doesnt sound like Tidus I'll be ok.
:lol: I'm with you on that one.

Maybe I should get the game just to see. As long as they dont distract from the enjoyment of the film and are even half in-character then I wont mind too much
Kingdom Hearts is actually a pretty fun game, though admittedly I ignored most of the Disney parts of the storyline and focused instead on the Final Fantasy characters and Sora, Riku and Kairi. The only voice in the game that seemed "off" to me was that of Aeris--the rest fit well, especially Cloud and Yuffie. You should at least rent it, if for no other reason than that you get the chance to whoop up on Squall, Cloud and Sephiroth. *cheers* That was fun. ;) But I'm getting waaay off topic here ( :riiight: ) so I'll let it go at that.

Nova Briar