PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I had this xbox...

DeBlayde
01-11-2005, 05:27 AM
I've long held that Bill Gates is the Devil. But last march, I broke down and bought an Xbox because I was looking forward to the release of Fable, which I really really enjoy, by the way.

So here I come to today, 9 months later. the thing just conks out, and starts coming up with error messages. so I call up Customer Service during the 2 hours once every 3 days that they're actually open (only a very slight exaggeration) and they say "yeah your mother board's pretty much fried." The thing has a 3 month warranty, which I never bothered to fill out because I had my SNES for like 7 years and it was working like the day I got it when I gave it away, so I figure technology has improved in the last decade plus. There's no way to repair the thing short of replacing the motherboard. and it'd be cheaper to just buy another xbox.

Has anybody else had problems with theirs? I mean, I know that the less time it lasts, the more you have to buy because let's face it, the games are a whole lotta fun so it's good business sense, but honestly. 9 months? :mad:

Hawkeye
01-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah, my friend has his problems with his Xbox. It was usually the Xbox's that just came out after they were released, something with the fans or along those lines... could rarely play any games (though for some reason can play halo 2) but if he does get a chance to play any games, its about for only 2 hours until it cracks up.

Yeah, you would figure that technology has improved, but not everything is fail proof :-/

The best I can reccomend is to just get it repaired if your willing to fork over the doe. Yeah, it seems cheesy that you have to pay for a defective console, but if you wanna play, thats your only bet.

By the way, with this post, am i sensing a little Deja vu? (ps2?)

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-11-2005, 08:04 AM
I remember when my SNES fell out of a two story window ontot he lawn below and it still worked. Now, if you so much as breath on a console it craps out on you.

Meat Puppet
01-11-2005, 09:55 AM
The first playstation 2 I got could launch nuclear warheads.

Mirage
01-11-2005, 10:13 AM
3 month warranty, are you sure about that? It should be atleast one year, that's what my PS2 had anyway.
And ofcourse older consoles last longer, they haven't got so much fine tuned electronics and stuff.

Lionx
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Not sure, it could be just Nintendo has better made stuff. I heard of ppl flushing down Game Boy games and then getting it out and still having the save files and everything intact cept the sticker....

Which brings to the point has GameCube have anything similiar happen to it besides the optical lens getting dirty?

theundeadhero
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Not sure, it could be just Nintendo has better made stuff. I heard of ppl flushing down Game Boy games and then getting it out and still having the save files and everything intact cept the sticker....My copy of Shaman King went through the washing machine yesterday and it still works perfectly, saved game and all. My Nintendo still works perfectly after 17 years! You were right, Bill Gates is the devil and X-boxes are unholy demons.

Hawkeye
01-11-2005, 02:37 PM
lol yep ive heard of some bizzare incidents with gameboys to ;)

DasaniWater
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Yet another reason to buy an extended warranty with your console.

DeBlayde
01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
ah well. maybe I can find a good emulator (not that I would actually look for one, write one, use one or in any other way so much as sneeze on one) that can play xbox games on my computer. then perhaps I could keep fable.

naw. I'll just get back into FFX. and have Kimari poleax Tidus DeWhiney every 5 minutes. :D funny stuff!

edczxcvbnm
01-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Xbox and PS2 each have a 90 warrenty. Nintendo products have a year warrenty. You do not need to register you system either. The reason you don't have to is because the serial number is scanned when you buy a system so the companies know when you bought the system and thus when the warrenty goes into effect.

RSL
01-11-2005, 11:42 PM
My gamecube has never had so much as a hiccup. My 1st PS2 crapped out on me. My second one is still going strong *crosses fingers* I don't own an Xbox.

Mirage
01-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Almost any kind of electronic equipment can survive water as long as it hasn't got electricity running through it, and is dried before you use it again..
For example: I recently washed my out-of-battery mobile phone. I forgot to take it out of the pocket, so it was all soaked for almost an hour, then it was tumbledried. When I plugged in the recharger, it worked just fine. I still haven't noticed anything and it's been two weeks now.