PDA

View Full Version : The new iPod.

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

Ta-da! This can be a great alternative to people here don't listen to music a lot but would like a music player that keeps them "trendy." Someone on eBay is already selling one and it's up to $61 minutes after the announcement.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but I'll probably do so later today. It will work with pretty much anything that has a dock connector, like iCarPlay Plus and such. I might persuade my brother to get one, since he doesn't have a lot of money but wants a decent MP3 player.

In other news, Apple released a Mini Mac sans keyboard, monitor, and mouse. Investors weren't impressed and Apple's stock dropped a little over $2.70.

<sub>Dingo Jellybean is not an endorser of Apple and has no affiliations with Apple and it's affiliates.</sub>

ZeZipster
01-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah. Oh-kay.

m4tt
01-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Are you sure you don't work for Apple?

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Of course not. And to prove it...

The iPod Shuffle is still a bit expensive. Even if it uses Flash memory, I was hoping the 512MB iPod would be $79 and the 1GB iPod would be $99.

But it's still a nice way to play music and stuff without the "bulk" of an iPod Mini(yes, it's 1/3rd the size of a iPod Mini).

Lindy
01-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Ah, a teeny tiny iPod, "The MP3 player for people who like to lose small things".

This wins (http://www.nomadworld.com/products/zen_Micro/)

krissy
01-11-2005, 09:23 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

This can be a great alternative to people here don't listen to music a lot but would like a music player that keeps them "trendy."

silly people

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 09:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5743909902

Since everyone's doing it...I might as well cash in.

Yamaneko
01-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, I sure didn't see this coming... Apple revolutionizes the music world again.

Cz
01-12-2005, 08:25 PM
So now I don't get to choose what music I listen to? I'm even less interested in this than I was in the original iPod. :rolleyes2

Samuraid
01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
iPod is far to expensive...the mini version is as well.

Yrkoon
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
lol think ill stick to this :P
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_2_15/features.asp

Rinoabella
01-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Hmm, I don't think I'd purchase this. Looks like a cheap version in which I would never be completely satisfied with owning.

<3 original iPod.

kikimm
01-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Ugh. That's silly, and completely unnecessary. What's the point, when it chooses your music for you? I'd rather not blow over 200 bucks on something that's unpredictable, and that I probably won't even like. I hate how everything's getting super small, as well. I want to be able to see what the hell I'm holding and doing on it.*sigh* I'm done.

:D

Rye
01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Can't you just pop in a CD and click shuffle? Seriously, that's just stupid,

Yrkoon
01-13-2005, 11:26 PM
that apple shuffle looks pretty rubbish especailly compared to other companys flash players such as http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo_Micron200/

also i found this pretty amusing :P
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/mc/20050112/tc_mc/digitalaudiovendorsnotafraidofipodshuffle

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 01:12 AM
To those who didn't bother reading the Apple webpage, the name is a bad name. It only randomizes your songs if you select it to.

You can play your songs in order or have it shuffle. But you can't select a specific song unless you play it in order and know where the song is on the list. However, a screen WOULD BE nice. Even so, the iPod Shuffle is still cheaper than other similar flash players. And it's less than one ounce in weight.

With that being said, I don't plan to get one.

Yrkoon
01-14-2005, 01:15 AM
im confused btw at the bottom of the link u gave it has 4 important notes the second one reads "do not eat the ipod shuffle" damm i thought it was edible :P

btw i saw a creative muvo 1 in asda earlier it was priced at about 60 pounds and is about the same size as the ipod shuffle plus includes a lcd screen :)

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 01:20 AM
im confused btw at the bottom of the link u gave it has 4 important notes the second one reads "do not eat the ipod shuffle" damm i thought it was edible :P

btw i saw a creative muvo 1 in asda earlier it was priced at about 60 pounds and is about the same size as the ipod shuffle plus includes a lcd screen :)

Yeah, it was mainly a "joke" on Apple's part since it compared itself to a pack of gum in terms of size. Yeah, the lack of an LCD screen might hurt the iPod Shuffle...but adding an LCD screen just makes it compete with the iPod Mini. Essentially if it did have one, it be the iPod Super Mini or iPod Mini Mini.

ZeZipster
01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Okay seriously...
http://www.ninjapirate.com/ipod.html
It may be old and apply to something differen't.. But it's the same. Honestly, I get pissed when people have mp3 players. I can't let/force them to listen to the music on my CDs. It's not worth it. I think I'm going to go burn a CD right now, just so I can feel special.

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Okay seriously...
http://www.ninjapirate.com/ipod.html
It may be old and apply to something differen't.. But it's the same. Honestly, I get pissed when people have mp3 players. I can't let/force them to listen to the music on my CDs. It's not worth it. I think I'm going to go burn a CD right now, just so I can feel special.

There was one portion of the article that "stood out":

"Now honestly, would you rather have three inches less of audio player or a Discman and huge dick? Size won't even matter anymore because you can just hang the player from your enormous schlong."

LMAO - The article makes great points...but people nowadays want things smaller(well...<i>almost</i>), and the iPod offers that. You would have to burn about 45 MP3 CDs to have the equivalent space of a 15GB iPod. Besides, the article is clearly gender bias. Most iPod users are female. :-)

ZeZipster
01-14-2005, 01:59 AM
LMAO - The article makes great points...but people nowadays want things smaller(well...<i>almost</i>), and the iPod offers that. You would have to burn about 45 MP3 CDs to have the equivalent space of a 15GB iPod. Besides, the article is clearly gender bias. Most iPod users are female. :-)
Yeah.. Actually I wouldn't want 15GBs of iPod space anyways. It's an mp3 player, not a storage device. My entire music collection is only about 5.5 gigs. I couldn't listen to my entire music collection in a day, nor would I want to. I can plan out what I will want to listen to throughout the day.

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Yeah.. Actually I wouldn't want 15GBs of iPod space anyways. It's an mp3 player, not a storage device. My entire music collection is only about 5.5 gigs. I couldn't listen to my entire music collection in a day, nor would I want to. I can plan out what I will want to listen to throughout the day.

<i>ONLY?</i> I don't even have 1GB...then again, most of my music is compressed at 56kbps, which takes about like 35% of the original space of a 128kbps file. I have about 19 hours of music. If all my music was 128kbps, I'd probably have about close to 2GBs. Fortunately I'm "only" at 778 MBs.

You can use the iPod as a storage device though. If you set that option, the computer treats it like an external hard drive(that's really what the iPod is anyways)...but I wouldn't trust an iPod with my files.

The great thing about the iPod is that you can stuff all these songs onto it, and then just shuffle it...I've encountered numerous occassions where I had forgotten about a song I liked. The iPod lets you create an On-The-Go playlist, so you can select any songs you want to play during a particular day. You can create as many playlists as you want.

The most I've ever used an iPod continously was 8 hours, which happens to be the approx. battery life on my 3rd Generation iPod.

Phil
01-14-2005, 03:14 AM
iPods blow. iRiver is better.

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 04:10 AM
People think I bought the iPod to be trendy, I seriously didn't. I bought the iPod because of the numerous accessories that are made for it. A lot of MP3 players out there do not have FM Transmitters or remotes for them...or even skins to protect the devices.

If it wasn't for the accessories, I would never purchase it...well, I wouldn't say never, but it would be highly unlikely. Plus the wheel is VERY NICE.

Xander
01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Meh, iPod, schmipod, cassette tapes all the way <3

DaggerFlux
01-14-2005, 01:19 PM
i got an ipod mini for xmas, seeing that i feel suddenly VERY out of date

lol :p

Cz
01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't agree with the critical article posted above that mp3 players are a bad idea. After all, having to cart around your CD collection is space-consuming. However, there is no reason whatsoever to have 20GB of space on a music player. Who listens to their entire music collection at random? I personally never listen to any more than two or three CDs a month, occasionally delving out a few classics. I don't need 20GB, nobody needs 20GB. Simply buy a 256MB player for less than £100, and play the two-dozen songs that you want to listen to. When you want something new, simply delete the old and transfer a new CD via your hard drive.

Under these circumstances the iPod Shuffle seems like a great idea, considering its low price and storage capacity. However, the fact remains that I can buy a player of a similar capacity for the same price, with a screen and shuffle function.

There are obviously good reasons to buy an iPod. Dingo brought up the range of accesories available. However, nothing Apple can say about either of the machines can convince me to buy it, or even consider it. Marketing a product on the premise of 'losing control' over your music collection is utterly ridiculous. Were it not for the prestige associated with owned Apple Products, nobody would touch the thing.

Or maybe that's just me being difficult. :D

DMKA
01-14-2005, 05:35 PM
So now I don't get to choose what music I listen to? I'm even less interested in this than I was in the original iPod. :rolleyes2

Baloki
01-14-2005, 05:56 PM
However, there is no reason whatsoever to have 20GB of space on a music player.

Its for lazy people like me who hate having to connect cables upto their computer, also most MP3 players now with that kind of storage let you use them as Flash disks too so I can carry around 20 Gigs of videos as well if I wanted too :)

Meh, iPod, schmipod, cassette tapes all the way <3

You should get the MP3 player I have, it has a cassette playr adapter :P

Cz
01-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Its for lazy people like me who hate having to connect cables upto their computer, also most MP3 players now with that kind of storage let you use them as Flash disks too so I can carry around 20 Gigs of videos as well if I wanted too :)Hey, everyone loves to be lazy, but there comes a point where physical activity and effort is better than the technological equivalent, and that point is £200 in cash.

£200 is an extortionate amount of money to spend on a device that is merely making your life ever so slightly more convenient. You might disagree, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's your money, so do what you like with it. :D

Baloki
01-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Ah but your thinking iPods which can't do that sort of stuff anyways, mine was about £150 I think and that wasn't the cheapest availible 20 Gig one I'd seen but it was the one I liked the most and wasn't the size of a mobile phone from 1993 :)

http://www.satphone.net/minimbig.jpg

I see the points you bring up in relation with iPods though, they are expensive for what they are but thats what you get for wanting the latest fasion trend and market leader.

Yrkoon
01-15-2005, 09:22 AM
cassette adaptors kick as ass my my m8 has one in his mums car its basicly a tape with a wire coming out of it and plugs into the headphone socket good fun :)