PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Advice on new PC/Mac

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
My old computer was REALLY old by Today's standards. It cost $3000 to buy when my dad got it in 1998. It had 233MHz processor, 128MBs RAM, 12.7GB Hard Drive, and Win98 OS. I had it reformatted and now it works and such, but I have to reset everything up(which I don't know how) as the internet doesn't work, the graphics card isn't installed(I can't get resolution higher than 640x400), and such. So I decided to get a new PC/Mac.

Question is, I don't want to spend more than $1000 on a new PC/Mac. I just saw the <a href="http://www.apple.com/macmini/">Mac Mini</a> today and was really impressed with the specs and design of the machine at $500. It is sans keyboard, mouse, and monitor...which I don't really care about. I am seriously thinking about switching OS to a Mac OS Panther, partially due to the F9 button Expose feature and I hear great things about Unix. But I want a laptop to replace my desktop. I don't want to deal with bulky PCs anymore.

I'm not looking for a lot of power, and virtually anything faster than my old PC would be great. I'm looking for something with at least a 1GHz processor, 30GBs of space, and 1GB of RAM. So suggestions would be nice. And basically anything that's portable.

Also, it would be nice if the suggested laptop uses the 7-step algorithm to delete files. I tend to use my PC for a lot of things that involves my bank accounts, social security number, and credit cards.

ZeZipster
01-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I really like alienware machines. But if you aren't a gamer, then it'd probably be kind of weird having one.

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 11:14 PM
I really like alienware machines. But if you aren't a gamer, then it'd probably be kind of weird having one.

At first I wanted one of those green Alienware machines...but they're a bit expensive for what they offer...and since I don't play PC games, I never really wanted one.

Citizen Bleys
01-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Matt's got a point. Are you sure you're not on Apple's payroll?

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Matt's got a point. Are you sure you're not on Apple's payroll?

Other than slipping me $1000 for each nice thing I say about them, nah.

Citizen Bleys
01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
You're one of the Mac Panthers, aren't you?

ZeZipster
01-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Other than slipping me $1000 for each nice thing I say about them, nah.

$1,000 = Alienware machine in my opinion.
=D

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 11:22 PM
$1,000 = Alienware machine in my opinion.
=D

Really? I saw Alienware machines for like, $1500. Some of them were $3000. Do you have a link?

chaosknight
01-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Mac?!!!! nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 *sits in a corner and rocks back and forth saying go god plz no* ......................

ZeZipster
01-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Really? I saw Alienware machines for like, $1500. Some of them were $3000. Do you have a link?
www.alienware.com
I don't know what the specs run for a machine like that though. I always buy computers refurbished from Dell. Not sure what kind of deals they have on refurbished machines at alienware though.

escobert
01-11-2005, 11:25 PM
you can build a alien ware for $800 :p they're way over priced. Just get a HP or build your own :p

Dingo Jellybean
01-11-2005, 11:49 PM
you can build a alien ware for $800 :p they're way over priced. Just get a HP or build your own :p

Yeah, I went to the Alienware website, the notebooks are at least $1500. That's too much. :-/ I'm torn between a Mac Mini and a PC Laptop.

www.alienware.com
I don't know what the specs run for a machine like that though. I always buy computers refurbished from Dell. Not sure what kind of deals they have on refurbished machines at alienware though.

Heh, I meant a direct link to the laptop that was under $1000. I couldn't find any.