PDA

View Full Version : Irrational phobias

Chaos
01-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Arn't phobias fun?

I discovered one the other day, one I thought long buried: The fear of the filters in swimming pools.

Yes. I'm scared of getting sucked into them and being eaten by giant scorpians. Fact. I used to be so scared I would refuse to swim over them, and if I had to then I would shut my eyes and hold my breath. Because <i>that</i> has always helped when confronted with being sucked into a whirling vortex in a giant aquatic basin.

What crazy phobias do you have?

Chaos

SomethingBig
01-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I have an intense fear of heights. I can't go near the edge of a high up place without feeling queezy or get that strange feeling in my stomach. It doesn't really keep me from riding water rides, even though there are some that I refuse to go on, but it does keep me from riding extremely fun-looking roller-coasters. :cry:

Dr.K
01-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Ah, the dreaded swimming pool filters. The price we pay for purified water.
Similar to that, I used to be scared of walking over cattle grids in case i got caught in them.
The only main one i can think of now is a slight nervousness when breaking eggs - ever i since i cracked a rotten one about half a year ago. Tis' ming of the highest order.
My uncle once cracked an egg which had...hmm...been maturing perhaps a bit long in the cupboard to find that a fetus had developed. Hasn't touched an egg since *shudders*.

Lionx
01-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I actually hate bugs, anything but an ant on its own freaks me ><;;;

krissy
01-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Palachniuk wrote a story about a swimming pool.

really shouldnt talk about it here, i'd get banned or something

SPOILER

anyway if you value your small intestine, stay away

SomethingBig
01-11-2005, 11:34 PM
ROOFLS, that story made my innards cry.

I used to also have an intense fear of clowns as a child. I saw "Night of the Killer Clowns" at a very young age and because of this, any time I saw a clown, I'd come so very close to crying.

Crazy the Clown
01-11-2005, 11:35 PM
The only thing that scares me is Barbra Streisand. :eek:

Chaos
01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Ack, my intestines!
Atchally, I told someone about it today. She said: "Yeah, I'm not suprised about your fear, I mean, there were all these stories about people getting their hair caught in them and drowning!"

The look of shock and horror on my face quickly revealed to her that I had no knowledge of these fiendish occurances.

In future, I'm staying down the shallow end of pools.

Chaos

kikimm
01-11-2005, 11:45 PM
I, too, am afraid of swimming pool filters. Not because of the scorpions that dwell down there, but because I'm afraid of catching my hair in it, and drowning. Not fun.

Also, losing my cone collection. I'm deathly afraid of that. :(

I'm sure there's loads more that my friends would delight in telling me, so I'll get back to you on that.

:D

Mirage
01-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Now that you mention it, I used to hate standing on those swimming pool filters. Probably not anymore though, but I haven't been to a swimming pool in years so I can't know for sure. Other than that, I don't think I have any phobias.

Tokki Wartooth
01-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Short people. Fat people. Ugly people. People. They all horrify me.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Spiders. :(

Dingo Jellybean
01-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Short people. Fat people. Ugly people. People. They all horrify me.

Oh man, I guess I know what the elves got you for Christmas. :aimsmile:

My phobia includes can lids. Maybe because I got a severely deep cut on both my middle finger and thumb from gripping it at the sides while trying to pull it off the can. I get jitters just thinking about it.

Sacred Phoenix
01-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Definately the pool filters, the one on the bottom doesn't bother me, just the ones on the side. Plus I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT swim if there is ones of those automatic vacuums in the bottom, the click click click as they move *shudders*. I am also scared of spiders, standing in front of people, for like presentations and such. Oh I won't swim in pools that have alot of dirt in the bottom.

eestlinc
01-12-2005, 01:14 AM
rhubarb plants

mike without a hat
01-12-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm afraid of most sea animals, and the seaweed and plant stuff at the bottom of lakes.

Mindflare
01-12-2005, 03:33 AM
I've always been afraid of heights and bridges.

Recently, I have been able to handle heights and I started walking over a bridge to get to school every day a few weeks ago, so I'm doing much better now.

fire_of_avalon
01-12-2005, 03:53 AM
The very thought of eternity scares me. When I was a little girl I'd lay in bed trying to sleep and think of what forever really meant and it'd freak me out so much I'd just cry and cry until I fell asleep from exhaustion.

Now I'm old enough to make myself think of something else. I also have a... healthy respect for the ocean, but the thought of being on a big boat in the ocean makes me nervous. And I'm never nervous.

Carnage
01-12-2005, 04:21 AM
im fine around high places on my own but when someones with me i freak out. trust no one :shifty:

MecaKane
01-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Palachniuk wrote a story about a swimming pool.

really shouldnt talk about it here, i'd get banned or something

SPOILER

anyway if you value your small intestine, stay away

Yah, that's not an irrational fear at all! :eek:

krissy
01-12-2005, 06:01 AM
yeah my real irrational fear is like

some giant demon breaking through the wall during class
im talking immense techno-bull-demon that's like 12 feet tall here.
blocks flyin, prof gets knocked across the room, and the only weapon i have is a pencil (and even mcguyver cant make the BFG 9000 out of a pencil and some erasers, HOWEVER, if i hadn't lost my graphic calculator maybe something coul dhave been done)

Miriel
01-12-2005, 06:53 AM
Birds freak the hell out of me. They have for as long as I can remember. I'll seriously walk different routes to class just to avoid the areas on campus where there's a heavy concentration of birds.

*shudders*

Nasty creatures they are...and they can smell fear. :(

Jojee
01-12-2005, 07:52 AM
I fear everything, almost :(

I fear heights a lot, spiders are like... AGHASKHDF. Any kind of bugs... I didn't use to be like this, I used to catch all sorts of bugs when I was little ^^ Now it's like ewww scary runrunrun. *dies* Um also I'm afraid of ghosts and monsters and scary movies, especially in the dark ^^ I'm afraid of stalkers and rapists and random murderer people entering my house. =| I live my life in fear.

I'd say something pretty irrational I fear intensely is... my boy dying. I mean, what are the chances of that, right now? But I'm afraid of it all the time, I love him so much ^_^ I'm always worried about him. Hehee. :tongue:

Necronopticous
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I am slowly, actively trying to overcome my serious phobia of using the bathroom at places beside my house. It used to be so bad that I would go a full weekend with my stomach killing me from holding in defication because I just couldn't bring myself to go at a friend's house/hotel room, etc.

Also bugs, I've got a horrible bug phobia.

Chaos
01-12-2005, 09:11 AM
YAY! I'm not alone in my phobia of swimming pool filters!

I'm scared of scary things in films too. I seriously find it hard to watch anything remotley scary.

I think there is something else I'm scared off too....I think its men who have a certian 'look' about them, although I don't know what that 'look' is nor what it entails. I just know I'm scared of them.

Chaos

*~Nirvana~*
01-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm kinda claustrophobic (is that how you spell it??). I remember when I was about 12 or 13, I was on my school camp and one of the activities we were doing was..... caving!!! And if that doesn't sound freaky - it was an underground cave :eek:... So I was freaking out the whole time during the bus trip to the caves and taking deep breaths, asking my friends for re-assurance etc, etc. When we actually got to the cave itself, I was like.... OMG! WTF! Nobody told me it was underground ! But eventually I plucked up the courage to go in and it was pitch black (we had one of those light helmet things) and the glow-worms were like 1 inch away from my head :x_x:, the cave was really really small, narrow and tight with like 30 people surrounding me (talk about claustrophobia kicking in) and the water in there literally went right up to my waist.... But the good news? I got through it in one piece and not to mention a 'leg-full' of bruises.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-12-2005, 11:02 AM
I am slowly, actively trying to overcome my serious phobia of using the bathroom at places beside my house. It used to be so bad that I would go a full weekend with my stomach killing me from holding in defication because I just couldn't bring myself to go at a friend's house/hotel room, etc.

Calliope
01-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I spend too much time acknowledging it already. NO!

boris no no
01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
i'm really really scared of needles. i had a TB jab when i was at school and i freaked out so much i collapsed. it was horrible. and i had to have an operation and the needle they leave in your hand???that messed me up a bit. god...the thourght of something going under the skin argh!!! *shudders*
i have to look away when needles are shown on tv
plus i freak out when i'm in small spaces with loads of people about. worst is lifts. with ev eryone pushing against you and no space to breath. i have to hold my breath in them. if its high up i have to stop get out to take a breath and go back in....my friends think i'm weird...

Resha
01-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Bugs, but above all...cockroaches. They are the root of all evil and even atom bombs couldn't destroy the damn things. There's no escape for me! They're everywhere! I can't walk! I can't breathe! I can't sleep!!!!

*Hyperventilates*
:)
Other than that, I'd say blood. Well, not my own blood...just other blood.

Dragon Ash
01-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Bouys freak me out completely. I'd be happily floating along the sea in Malta, then suddenly I would hear chains clanking. I open my eyes and there's this horrible moss-covered thing floating right beside me! Ugh...

fire_of_avalon
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I agree with Resha about cockroaches, but I'm not as afraid of them inasmuch as they disgust me entirely.

Jebus
01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I am terrified of heights. I can't go over 30 or 40 feet without hyperventilating or feeling nauseous. I've only once been higher than that, but I was distracted so I didn't notice as much. (Small orchestra performance at the top of a really tall building.)

Itsunari 2000
01-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't have any real phobias but ...

Weird phobias :
Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Anablephobia- Fear of looking up.
Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
Bibliophobia- Fear of books
Caligynephobia- Fear of beautiful women.
Deipnophobia- Fear of dining or dinner conversations
Ephebiphobia- Fear of teenagers
Gnosiophobia- Fear of knowledge.
Ichthyophobia- Fear of fish.
Kathisophobia- Fear of sitting down.
Linonophobia- Fear of string.
Nomatophobia- Fear of names
Pediophobia- Fear of dolls
Phobophobia- Fear of phobias.
Pogonophobia- Fear of beards
Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words
Triskaidekaphobia- Fear of the number 13
Xenophobia- Fear of strangers or foreigners.

http://www.phobialist.com/

.... funnily enough , Johnny Depp has a phobia about clowns ...

Leene
01-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I 'm afraid of heights and dark. :(

Bisithorious
01-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I fear large amounts of water. Lakes, rivers, seas, oceans...I find myself not scared of Caribbean beachs though. It has to beaches that have no waves and I can clearly see the bottom.

°¿°¿°
01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
well currently i am not afraid of anything but i used to be afraid of porcilein dolls or how ever you speell them when i was 12 and was at my grandmas who has TONS of them and i would gthink they were gonna attack me in my sleep lol

rubah
01-13-2005, 03:41 AM
I have discovered today that I am scared of teh sight of blood.

It wasn't a pleasant process.

Anyways, aside from that, I also distrust the floor beneath heavy furniture that has been recently moved for the first time in years, I always think it's going to fall through and that I shouldn't walk on it, and I'm also scared of when I'm high up close to the edge, that I'll accidentally jump off@.@; Like, not think about it, and just step up. Heights are fine, accidentally stepping to my doom is not.

Fuzakeru
01-13-2005, 03:49 AM

I know a few people who have that fear. :rolleyes2 Isn't there a fear of correct grammar too? :D

01-13-2005, 03:50 AM
fear of long words? i dont understand. what do the people who have that phobia think long words are gonna do?

Crazy the Clown
01-13-2005, 03:51 AM
What are the odds? People would be too afraid to say what their phobia is. That's rich! :lol:

Xaven
01-13-2005, 06:11 AM
...My Phobias. Okay. Like several previous people said, the filters, drains, lights, vacuums and other pool accessories freak the life out of me. Another thing is fearing that somebody's behind me with bad intentions. Such as If I'm up in a high place looking over an edge, I can just feel somebody behind me about to shove me off to my death... Also in dark corridors and rooms, I just know somebody's following behind me in a black cloak with an ax...*Gulp*
Last but definately not least... ... MOLD! MOLDMOLDMOLDMOLDMOLDMOLD! Help! It's gonna eat me!
Okay mold's gone. Alright, mold, algae, moss, mushrooms ('cept for edible ones), and any other type of fugus just... freaks... me... out! I dunno why. If I see something that spoiled in the 'frige I cannot touch it. I can't stand to touch algae in water either. It's just so scary! I don't see how any can't be afraid of fungus!
Sorry but I'm just like that.

Fuzakeru
01-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Walloonphobia- Fear of the Walloons.
What the hell is a walloon?????? O_o;

Urophobia- Fear of urine or urinating.
. . . . . . O_O;

Teutophobia- Fear of German or German things
Russophobia- Fear of Russians.
Japanophobia- Fear of Japanese.
Judeophobia- Fear of Jews.
O_o; Yes. We all know how scary those Germarussanesews are. ^_^

Patroiophobia- Fear of heredity.
. . . fear of heredity? >_>

Papaphobia- Fear of the Pope.
Uh-huh. We all know how scary the Pope is.

Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams.
. . XDDDDD!

Euphobia- Fear of hearing good news.
O_O; WHAT?!

Eurotophobia- Fear of female genitalia.
Hehe. Oh no! Look out! NOOO! It's a scary vagina! O_O

Lionx
01-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Eurotophobia- Fear of female genitalia.
Hehe. Oh no! Look out! NOOO! It's a scary vagina! O_O

OMG WHERE?! Eeek! get it away get it awayyyyeeeaahh!!! *squeals* :spin:

Silmaril
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I hate clowns. All my nightmares involve clowns. Why are they so happy anyway? When i saw the Poltergiest and that clown doll comes and strangles the little boy-I couldn't sleep for a week. Ugh.

Cless
01-13-2005, 11:12 AM
My fears:

1.Newspapers
2.Cigarrette packets
3.Salt and Vinegar potato chips/crisps

All of the above scare the crap out of me

Resha
01-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Muahaha, just like Johnny Depp! Anyways, I also suffer from Ichthyophobia- Fear of fish....I HATE FISH. They're so cold and clammy and ew and yucky...

Well, I assume so. I'd die if I touched one...and you can guess I don't eat them either.

boris no no
01-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Aulophobia- Fear of flutes.
O_O heeheehee flutes!
Autodysomophobia- Fear of one that has a vile odor
i'm definatly scared of my brother! smelly boy speading disease!
Barophobia- Fear of gravity
man gravity?? they're screwed!!!!
i could look at this site all day!!

Chaos
01-13-2005, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=boris no no]
Barophobia- Fear of gravity
QUOTE]

Oh no! I'm stuck to the floor!
HELP ME!

*ahem*

Ok, be serious. If you had Barophobia you'd be like, permanently scared...eek.

Chaos

boris no no
01-13-2005, 11:03 PM
:cry: sorry

Teutophobia- Fear of German or German things

FEAR ME!!!!! heeheehee ;) ;) germans are scary...my grandmutty is anyway!!!

Chaos
01-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Heh, I'm 1/4 German too.

FEAR US!

Chaos

Fuzakeru
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm part German myself.

German = |D |-| 3 4 |2

Xaven
01-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Heh, I'm 1/4 German too.

FEAR US!

Chaos

Cool! I'm a fourth German too! :shifty:

Look out before I touch you! :smash:

Fuzakeru
01-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Cool! I'm a fourth German too! :shifty:

Look out before I touch you! :smash:

But I'm only 1/4th scared of you. That calls for slight paranoia but no need to run. Although hammers are pretty terrorfying.

Dingo Jellybean
01-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Germans are nothing more than wannabe Australians. :-)

boris no no
01-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Germans are nothing more than wannabe Australians. :-)
HEY!!!! if you carry on with that type of talk we germans will whup your ass!!!
....if you put us all togerther you get a whole one!! ;) ;)
i'm also half irish and a quater jewish russan!!!
the german part wants to kill the jeweish, the russan and irish just want to get drunk and the jewish wants to earn a load of money and be the best comedian on tv!
....add up all those fears!

louby_4eva
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm scared of rabbits, and there's two in my house. I won't go near them.

Polaris
01-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm terrified of huge things... I saw a big building one day I went there and I got dizzy...

Captain Maxx Power
01-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm afraid of moths and butterflys. Yes, you can laugh if you want, I'm petrified of them. I also don't like loud, booming background noises such as rumbling. Maybe I'm afraid of Earthquakes and just don't know it? (Totally irrational, I do live in the UK, which is pretty much Earthquake free).

louby_4eva
01-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm afraid of moths and butterflys. Yes, you can laugh if you want

It's alrite, one of my friends is scared of moths and butterflys, your not alone.

theundeadhero
01-17-2005, 07:00 PM
One of my friends is afraid of giraffes. I laugh at that.

SadisticStreetSoldie
01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Fish and other sea creatures scare the poo outta me. Whenever I see a picture of them I like, "YARGH!!! Why are they staring?" *shudder* and plus fish eat each other when they die :( EUUURRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! God this is bringing back bad memories. I wish I never owned fish before.

boris no no
01-18-2005, 12:02 AM
i have mutant fish!! they live without being fed for weeks!! plus they've lived for about 6 years!! they were just cheap goldfish!!

my friends scared of wasps. i can understand...all that buzzing and stinging...almost like flying needles.
yeargh!! *runs away*

o_O
01-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm afraid of public speaking. I hate it more than anything.

Chaos
01-18-2005, 10:23 PM
My friends scared of public speaking althuogh she's getting over it a bit now.

My boyfriends scared of crabs.

Chaos

HitomiChan
01-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Yay I'm not the only person in the whole world with the fear of swimming pool filters? that's awesome...serioulsy though..I've heard the stories of getting your hair caught in em' yuck! I could never swim by one...and I also have a phobia of spiders...hell any kind of bug...and...yes this is the weird phobia that I have...shaking lights...ya know the hanging lights..? like if a volly ball hit one in gym class I'd serioulsy start to feel sick and leave..or if it happens at dinner...yuck...evil shaking lights! *shakes fist at the hanging lights*

black orb
01-19-2005, 12:30 AM
>>> I always had this fear of failure, the fear of making
mistakes and losing approval.
i think this is the worst fear of all..

Linus
01-19-2005, 05:27 AM
I'm scared of socks. I may never see my feet again.

Hawkeye
01-19-2005, 05:31 AM
im scared of being itchy. when i have to scratch myself like on the neck or something, it freaks me out