PDA

View Full Version : Microphone

Cid
01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Is there a way to get my laptop to record without using a microphone (for lectures during class)? I thought I was once able to do this but now it doesn't work.

Sr. Tobias
01-12-2005, 09:22 PM
if it already has an incorporated microphone, but that's still a microphone, so no...

Cid
01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, yeah. Assume that there is an incorporated mic. Am I missing something about activating it?

Or is there a USB mic I can buy that is just a couple inches big that I can stick on my laptop?

Sr. Tobias
01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
yes there is, my dad has one that's quite small, but I don't remember the model or anything... u could go to a store and ask... but if it has an integrated mike, it should already be configurated... so try the help menu of whatever recording program u use... sorry I can't help more than that

Baloki
01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Well, yeah. Assume that there is an incorporated mic. Am I missing something about activating it?

Or is there a USB mic I can buy that is just a couple inches big that I can stick on my laptop?

You probably need the driver to get it to work, try the updated one of your sound card, else try using windows online driver search by going to Add New Hardware in Control Panel

Sr. Tobias
01-12-2005, 11:18 PM
You probably need the driver to get it to work

u need a driver for an integrated mic?... wow... I'm sure glad I use mac...

Baloki
01-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Mac's still need drivers, their just more hidden as its a Mac

Yamaneko
01-13-2005, 02:04 AM
I'd dish out the money for an external mic because it's usually the case that integrated mics don't pick up diddly when it's farther than five feet away.

Erdrick Holmes
01-13-2005, 04:44 AM
Just do what I do, plug a pair of headphones you'd buy at a dollar store into your headphone jack. Works like a microphone.

Cid
01-13-2005, 06:20 AM
How would plugging headphones in a headphone jack be anything like a mic?

Do they sell mics that have no line or code, just a straight 1 or 2 inch mic coming out of the port?

crono_logical
01-13-2005, 09:39 AM
It's possible you have the thing muted or not selected as the default recording device in Volume Control (double click the speaker in your tooltray). Check in options > properties > recording.

Sr. Tobias
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Mac's still need drivers, their just more hidden as its a Mac

yes, but some r already installed in ur computer, ESPECIALLY for an integrated microphone...

and u need a lot more drivers on other non-mac computers

Endless
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Do they sell mics that have no line or code, just a straight 1 or 2 inch mic coming out of the port?

You plug them in the mic jack.

Headphones : electricity -> magnetic field -> vibration -> sound
Mic: sound -> vibrations -> magnetic field -> electricity.

Quality is poor, but it works.

As for integrated mics, clout is most lilely right about it being muted. If the speaker is not in your tooltray, it's in control panel -> sound options.

Erdrick Holmes
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Try it. Just plug in a pair of headphones and use sound recorder and talk into the heaphones like a mic. It works. I went into a Yahoo IM chat with BoB and Spatvark at least a week ago and the voice convo worked.

Baloki
01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
yes, but some r already installed in ur computer, ESPECIALLY for an integrated microphone...

and u need a lot more drivers on other non-mac computers

Thats because you can plug alot more into a windows/linux machine then a mac, and it probably is instatlled but like clout says might be muted or if hes formatted it as a laptop he may not have the driver included in Windows as its a laptop specific thing :)