PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden IV is out

Erdrick Holmes
01-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Did anybody get it yet? I'm goona go get mine tommorow.

RedCydranth
01-13-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm getting my copy in February when I get my next check. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Black Mage
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I got mine yesterday.

So far, it's too early to tell how it'll be, but it's not too bad. It's certainly no Suikoden I or II, but I'm not too sure how it'll compare to III, as of now.

I'll be sure to post my opinons on it when I get further into it.

kikimm
01-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Argh. I really, really want it, after looking at the trailers over and over again for months, now. But as of now, I'm too broke, and have no way of obtaining any money. So blah. I'll just have to wait until it goes down in price. Way down.

:D

Erdrick Holmes
01-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Kiki, by the time that happens te game will be hard to find, if anything the price will rise. I just got it, I love it so far.

Lord Chainsaw
01-14-2005, 12:06 AM
I've got so much on my plate right now, I don't know if I'll have time for it. Suikoden games (with the exception of II) have never been too high on my to play list. I suppose I'll get to it eventually.

And that's saying a lot too, because right now I'm playing a pos game called Sudeki.

kikimm
01-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Kiki, by the time that happens te game will be hard to find, if anything the price will rise. I just got it, I love it so far.

Damn. Ah..I'll see what I can do. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Dragoon Kain
01-14-2005, 02:51 AM
it better be better than suikoden III or you can forget about me buying it.

Doomgaze
01-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah, the price will probably not get much lower before it gets rare. I mean, Katamari Damacy came out at what, $20? And it goes for more even now.

Jowy
01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
I can't even find Katamari anywhere.

Doomgaze
01-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Right, I meant on ebay and such because it's NOT IN STORES.

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Does anybody know where I go in this game after I recruited Kika and the pirates?

Extra Juicy
01-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I just played this game for a few hours last night. I'd say it's a potentially great game thats hampered by some fairly large problems. Like, for instance, I never knew sailing was so GOD AWFUL SLOW. I'd also like the encounter rate to be lower. That said, I think Snowe is one of the best characters I've seen in an rpg for awhile.

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 04:04 PM
You know, if you hold R1 while riding the boats the move very fast.

Doomgaze
01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
It's a WORLD MAP. God, how I've missed those. I'll take the obscene emcounter rate any day over yet another rpg with no overworld.

...How can you possibly like Snowe?

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Snowe is a well made character but he's a wussyboy. Plus he backstabs you, I hate characters who star off as the hero's friend but then betray you.

Doomgaze
01-15-2005, 08:06 PM
SPOILERS (even though I'm past that but still)

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Happy now? :p

Jowy
01-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Snowe's like Jowy except nowhere near as cool.

Doomgaze
01-16-2005, 08:12 AM
More or less.

kikimm
01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Right, I meant on ebay and such because it's NOT IN STORES.

I saw it today at Blockbuster, for 20 bucks. I got Suikoden IV instead though. :)

la monk
01-18-2005, 10:26 PM
doomgaze who's in that picture? at first i thought nash from suikoden 3 but thats not it.

RedCydranth
01-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm picking mine up early february. IDK how it rates to 1,2 or 3, but I try not to compare until the game is fully over.

My bro got Katamari and I watched him play it for 15 minutes before my brain oozed out my earhole. The game is probably the most stupid thing I've seen in years. My IQ dropped like 40 points trying to understand the concept of picking up thumbtacks, fences, cows and houses to remake the sky. I think the Japanese invented some really potent new marijuana and that game is the sole product of it. Much like the smurfs and snorks of the early 80's.

Erdrick Holmes
01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Actually, if you can buy stuff on ebay you can get it. Tons of people are already selling their Suikoden IV games and you can probably get it for abut 37 dollars if you hurry.

Jowy
01-19-2005, 07:34 PM
That is Nash Latjke.

Edgar
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Getting my copy sometime this week. I hope they didn't screw up like what they did with Suikoden 3, but I got the feeling they'll do something promising this time.

Raistlin
02-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Getting my copy sometime this week. I hope they didn't screw up like what they did with Suikoden 3, but I got the feeling they'll do something promising this time.
Are you nuts? Suikoden III was an awesome game!

DocFrance
02-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Worst. Suikoden. Ever. That's all I have to say now.

Erdrick Holmes
02-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Worst. Suikoden. Ever. That's all I have to say now.

You're crazy. This is probably the 2nd best Suikoden I'd ever played. The only flaw that I noticed is that the hero has almost no background.

Raistlin
02-02-2005, 01:59 AM
You're crazy. This is probably the 2nd best Suikoden I'd ever played. The only flaw that I noticed is that the hero has almost no background.
...I guess that's only a minor technicality?

Yes, Suikoden IV is very easily the worst Suikoden ever made. It's still a pretty good game, but it doesn't have the magic of the first three.

The Hero is NOBODY. He has quite literally NO development. The "silent protagonist" did not work in S4, because he had no one to speak for him. In S1, there was Pahn and Gremio and everyone else who regularly talked for the hero; in S2, there was Jowy and Nanami and others. You get 20 hours into the game and realize there's been no development at all. S3 did not have that problem.

Also, none of the other characters have any development, either. In S1, you really saw Flik develop, with you-know-who's death. You also saw Gremio and Pahn and many others develop. In S2, there's Nanami, and Apple, and Shu, and many others who also undergo obvious development throughout the game. In S3, all of the three main characters go through massive development in the first three chapters(especially Hugo), as do various other characters. In S4, there's none of that.

Also, the first 10 or so hours of the plot looked like it was pieced together by a distracted 12-year-old. The reason for you to start recruiting is literally this: the king says, "Hmm...well you can stay in this cave over yonder. There's some people already there. They can join you. Oh, and you can also start picking up other people to join you. No reason. Oh, by the way, then you should go to these ruins over there to learn about your rune." That's it, in the same amount of words - if not less. There's just no catalyst for these kind of events; they just conveniently happen.

Doomgaze
02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
doomgaze who's in that picture? at first i thought nash from suikoden 3 but thats not it.

As has been said, it is in fact Nash, only 15 years younger. It's the cover art from one of the Suikogaiden OSTs.

They star Nash, and take place at roughly the same time as Suikoden II. He kind of weaves in and out of the main plot, without ever making his presence known to Riou.

la monk
02-02-2005, 11:25 PM
ah, i see, im good at recognizing characters.