PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on FFTA

Rydia
01-13-2005, 08:11 PM
I have some questions on FFTA, could someone good at games plz help me out? ^_^

1) in many of the battles I want to go into there's a law forbiding 'Dmg2 : Animal'.Every move my people make results in a yellow card!!! What can I possibly do to kill the beasts?
2) when I have a hunter and I'm trying to catch a beast, I will try to capture it on one round, then try to capture t on the next, when its HP is lower (and yes I don't try to catch bosses/the last monster standing). Is it indeed possible to catch a monster once you've already tried?

Yuffie514
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Answers:

1. you need an anti-law card (like Dmg2NuMou/Dmg2Bangaa, etc). they are all brown in color. were there monsters in the clan you're fighting? Dmg2Animal refers to damage caused to monsters. to gain access to your law/antilaw cards, cancel out of one of your unit's turn. then, press Start and find "Law Cards". if you have an anti-law card, then you can use it, but it has to match what you want to take out. lets say that Dmg2Animal is forbidden in battle. if you have a brown Dmg2Animal card, just use it and the law will be erased. white cards only add to the laws. you can trade w/Ezel in Cadoan town.

2. the best technique i use to capture a monster is to lower its HP drastically. my Hunter's Capture ability would fail to catch a certain monster if it is the only one left on the field.

does that answer your questions now?

Rydia
01-14-2005, 02:43 PM
TBH not really because I want to know how I can possibly kill them without having to resort to cards
ANd I was wondering if its possible to capture a monster you've tried (and failed) to capture before. I know you can't catch the last monster on a field, and that there are monsters that are uncatchable

Thank you very, very much for your help though!!! *hugz*

Yuffie514
01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
you're welcome.

and, yes. you can still capture a monster that you've tried to capture in a previous battle. try inflicting as many status ailments as you can on it or immobilize it. works for me!

Rydia
01-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Thank u sweety

I mean monsters you've tried to catch in the SAME battle

And u seem to know a lot about Final Fantasy so do u have any tips on how I can kill tomberries et al when the law forbids 'Dmg2 : Monsters' and I can't get hold of a card?

Yuffie514
01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
hm, i usually have a unit who's on level #50 kill Tonberry, so it's pretty easy. Dmg2Animal anti-law cards are rare but my advice is to keep on visiting Ezel. try seeing him after every battle. you can also get rare cards after completing a mission. save as many of the important anti-law cards you can, so they'll come in handy when you need 'em.

Rydia
01-14-2005, 09:05 PM
hmmm....if this card is rare it won't be any use to me at the moment ~ there are at least 3 battles where I need it!!! And thats just where I am now, which probably isn't even half way through the game

So does attacking with a high level unit noy count as DMG2:Animals?

Here are moves I've got a yellow card for when trying to kill these tonberry:
~physical attacks
~spirit attacks
~totema
~arrows
Everything my people try results in them getting a slap on the wrist!
I would 'zombie' them then 'cure' them, but since I, as yet, have no one that knows 'zombie' (plus I have a feeling healing magic might also be barred) are there any other ways of killing tonberry (plus other monsters) which doesn't count as 'DMG2 : Animal'?

Yuffie514
01-14-2005, 11:03 PM
if one of the laws in battle is Dmg2Animal, that means that you should NEVER harm any monsters (whether it be magic or physical attacks, etc), or you'll get a yellow or red card. the best way to avoid this is to avoid engaging clans with monsters in them.

how 2 check/avoid unwanted laws
do you have FFTA as a ROM or as a GBA game? if you have the game cartridge, you can check laws with the L-button. the next three laws that will appear in battle are high-lighted in blue. the easiest way to find out what laws will be used is to point the feather @ the clan you want to engage with and then access the laws-list. this is a good technique, 'cuz if you don't have a card that can nullify one of the laws, just walk around the map and repeat the forumula again to see if the conditions are ok with you.

check rival clan's info
to check on a clan, point the feather to a clan nearby and press the R-button and then the A-button to get a summary on them.

ljkkjlcm9
01-14-2005, 11:06 PM
The easiest way to avoid the damage to animals problem, is to make sure it isn't a law when you enter the battle. just move around the map randomly until you avoid having that law.

as for the monsters, you can catch as many of the same monster as you want in battle, as long as it's not the last... I believe

Del Murder
01-15-2005, 11:17 PM
The above options are good, but if you are stuck without a card and have no way of wandering around to get rid of the law, try confusing an enemy and hope he kills the animals for you.

Rydia
01-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Thank you Del Murder!!! *hugz* My question = answered

Yuffie514 and ljkkjlcm9 ~ much kudos for trying guys!!!

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Another way to defeat monsters if you can't do that is have people with the counter skills, you cannot get carded for using reactions.

Del Murder
01-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Hm, I did not know that. That makes it much easier.

Mo-Nercy
01-24-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't remember because I haven't played in yonks. But can't you just Doom the animal instead of having to use an anti-law card? Or does Doom count as Dmg too?

Shuko
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
****I do not know if this is true! I have not tested it! Please refute me if I am wrong!****
You can't catch more than one of the same class of monsters at one time. Here's an example of what I mean.

Say you have a thundrake in the monster bank (thunder-type dragon). In order for you to catch an icedrake (ice-type dragon) in any battle, you must first kick your thundrake out of the monster bank.
********** ---> I read this in an faq not too long ago, and I may have been mistaken. So please do not kick any monsters out of your monster bank until we're absolutely sure it's true, okay?

I wouldn't recommend kicking any monster out of your monster bank anyway until your Nu Mou Morpher has mastered its soul. It's just too hard to have to capture and recapture monsters over and over again, when the best capture percentage you can possibly get is 24% (even with Concentrate). Also, giving the monsters status ailments won't increase your chances of success. I would recommend giving them, though, as a monster that's been frogged can't give you much damage while you're trying to capture it. :P

And remember, the goblin and the thundrake are the only two monsters in the game that go extinct. Be sure to capture them and master their abilities while you have a chance! (good to keep in mind for blue mages, as well)

Skyblade
02-18-2005, 04:51 PM
No, you don't need to kick out your Thundrake to capture an Icedrake. You can have one of each type of monster (ie: one Thundrake, one Icedrake, etc...). You will get a second dragon soul, but there will be no problem with capturing the Icedrake, unless you already captured and Icedrake and haven't released it.

Monsters can be killed with the No Dmg to Animals rule by confusing enemies, and using counter moves, as stated above. Charm works well too, and isn't as hit or miss as confusion. But both charm and confusion will get you a yellow card, so counter moves are your best bet (other than not going in to battle with the No Dmg to Animals law in play).

Oh, and while Goblins do go extinct, a Blue Mage can learn the Goblin Punch at any time in the game. How? Simple, Goblins are one of the enemies that appear on the multiplayer maps. Find a friend, play a multiplayer game, take your Blue Mage into combat. Get him to learn Goblin Punch, and he should keep it once the battle is done. (I don't remember if this works on Thundrakes too, but Goblins go extinct much earlier, so hope this helps)

Iceglow
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
i found that when capturing putting a creature to sleep always gave more than 24% capture rate I guess I might be wrong but since I have a clan with no mou's in it I dont capture creatures.

Skyblade
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
If I recall correctly, neither sleep nor stop affect your chances of capturing a monster.

Oh, and you do know that if you don't use Morphers, you are missing out on what is potentially the most powerful class in the game, don't you?

DJZen
02-25-2005, 12:42 AM
You forgot status effects. You can use status magic on an enemy and not get penalized for it because it doesn't do damage. Not directly anyway. You can also get a beastmaster to control a monster and get it to attack the other animals. There's lots of fun ways to get around laws in this game.

Skyblade
03-09-2005, 04:58 AM
This is incorrect. Status attacks are still considered "offensive actions", and will earn you a card if Damage to Animals (or any of the races, if you use the law cards) is outlawed.

Mittopotahis
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
What about control? Is that offensive?

Skyblade
03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Nope. Feel free to Control away. In fact, if you control monster "A", and use it to attack monster "B", monster "A" will receive a yellow card (not that this means much...). And if you then use monster "A" to kill monster "B", monster "A" will receive another yellow card, which means it will get a red card and be taken out of battle! Two monsters with one attack!

Mittopotahis
03-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Nope. Feel free to Control away. In fact, if you control monster "A", and use it to attack monster "B", monster "A" will receive a yellow card (not that this means much...). And if you then use monster "A" to kill monster "B", monster "A" will receive another yellow card, which means it will get a red card and be taken out of battle! Two monsters with one attack!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking...

Skyblade
03-12-2005, 04:55 AM
One very successful strategy I've found when controlling monsters (in general more than with No Damage to Animals, but it will work then too, it just won't be as useful) is to control a monster, then cast Haste on it (oh, and this isn't an offensive action, so no card), while casting Slow on the Nu Mou controlling it. This lets you use the monster several turns without needing to recontrol it. Smile and Quicken can also help. Get the most out of your monster. If Damage to Animals is forbidden, you will rarely get more than two turns anyway, so this won't help much, but otherwise, it can give you a lot more time with the monster you're manipulating. Sleep and Stop break the control, but Slow doesn't. Just more useful tips for all my adoring fans out there. :D

Xalioniaf
03-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I find that if you have a Paladin with a Hunter, just use Subdue(I think that's what it's called) so he doesn't do alot of damage, then capture the monster.

Skyblade
03-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Subdue works, but it will take a long time to lower any monster's health low enough to get a decent catch rate on it, especially if you are aiming to capture higher level monsters (all the monsters in my Monster Bank, save the Goblin and the Thundrake, are level 50). Demi works much faster. Any move that does a specific amount of damage (Downsize for one) is useful too, since you can ensure that it won't kill the monster (which Subdue can do easily, since it usually does more than the 5 damage it says it will do).