PDA

View Full Version : Red Mage, he needs to be better.

Flashback007
01-14-2005, 08:33 AM
I hate it that they made the Red Mage so crappy in this game. I totally adore Red Mages, and in all the others games I know Red Mages rock, but here the Red Mages are bad. They only can cast untill level three-spells. I think they should have given him a higher benifit. I am not saying he needs to be able to casts spells like Holy and Flare etc. No just a bit like in Final Fantasy I. Good attack spells like Firaga etc and healing speals like Curaga etc. One thing I like about the Red Mages in this game and that is that everyone looks so cool when they look like a Red Mage.

Martyr
01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
The final ability learned from being a red mage is so spectacular that it's kind of supposed to be a challenge of sorts to make it that far under the guise of an RM.

That's what I've always assumed, anyway, and that's how I work out this light problem.

theundeadhero
01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I would rather spend the time leveling up both my white and black mages than use the red mage. What I do is wait until new spells are available for sale, buy the spells, then level everybodies mage job up until they can use them. Then move on with the game.

ShivaBlizzard8
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree that Red Mages are pretty useless in the game. The Double Cast ability they learn is somewhat helpful to place on a Summoner or high level Black Mage near the end of the game, but I don't think it makes up for their overall crapiness.

omnitarian
01-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Red Mages aren't crappy, they just quickly get outdated. If all of the jobs were equally awesome throughout the entire game, it wouldn't be very interesting.

strawberryman
01-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Red mages suck in FF1 and 5, but they're still really cool.
Red Mage in 8-bit theater kicks @$$...

BG-57
01-22-2005, 04:25 AM
Red Mages are kind of FFV's answer to the Calculators in FFT: Awful as a primary class and difficult to master, but excellent skills to have as a secondary set. When I get to Mimes, I always equip Blue Magic and Redx2 on them.

Martyr
01-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Red mages don't suck in FF1 or FF5. Red mages suck in FF3 (The purpose is to start sucking. All the early classes purposefully become obsolete as the game progresses) and FF2j (Because black and white magic have contradicting stats so boosting one lowers the other. Building a red mage would efficiently murder a character's stats.).

crashNUMBERS
02-03-2005, 07:41 PM
red mages are fags.

theres my oppinion
:chop:

DocFrance
02-04-2005, 02:34 AM
red mages are fags.

theres my oppinion
:chop:
Well, thank you so much for your informed opinion.

Anyway, the reason Red Mages are so much better in FF1 is because once you picked a character to be a RM, he was stuck as a RM/Red Wizard. Nobody would want to pick a spell-casting character that could only cast the first three levels of spells, would they?

Not so in FFV. In FFV, you can change classes at will, and even give characters abilities from other classes. Of course, this also makes the RM a bit obsolete. But he is insanely useful in the early parts of the game (he can immediately cast the first two levels of elemental spells, as well as Cure, Cure 2 and Life) and at the end (for !X-Magic).

Captain Maxx Power
02-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Red Mages are very useful if you want to have a melee char while still having some spells. Never underestimate the ability to cast defensive and offensive skills from one turn to the next. I usually have the brawl ability on Red Mages, that way they can do some serious attack damage.

Flashback007
02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
I ofcourse saw one thing not. You can ofcourse creat your own Red Mage. For example a Black Mage with White Magic as secondary ability or vice versa. Maybe I am going to try that. It sounds like a good idea.

crashNUMBERS
02-15-2005, 12:42 AM
yes the red mages are usefull but they look gay.

The Man
02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Are you kidding? Batz's Red Mage sprite strongly resembles the get-up of a pimp. http://www.fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/ezpimp.gif

Chris
02-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Yeah a Red Mage tends to do a lot of dying in this game.

But why would you want a Red Mage in the first place?
There's so many jobs that out-classes the Red Mage by miles.

Quina
02-16-2005, 05:43 AM
I don't think the Red Mage looks at all homosexual.

strawberryman
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Red mage Faris is hot.
Almost as hot as the black mage outfit.
But the monk is the best.

omnitarian
02-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Red mage Faris is hot.
Almost as hot as the black mage outfit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/farisbm.gif

Now that's hot.

Siegurd
02-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Reina monk was hot as hell.

Desert Merchant
02-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Reina monk was hot as hell.

hey man whatever gets you off i guess... personally 16 bit sprites dont do it for me

Siegurd
02-17-2005, 05:35 AM
it -obviously- takes at least 32!

rubah
02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Galuf wasn't bad, for an old guy, many times.

except his dancer outfit scares me. badly.

Chris
02-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I don't think the Red Mage looks at all homosexual.

Quina however does :D

Quina
02-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dormos
03-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Red mages suck in FF3 (The purpose is to start sucking. All the early classes purposefully become obsolete as the game progresses)

... There were Red Mages in FF3?

And a question about Redx2. It only lets you cast Red magic, correct?

... Why would you want to double cast Cure 2? Or... Toad?

I'm playing the FFA version of FF5, by the way.

ShunNakamura
03-02-2005, 08:55 PM
It works like this.

If you the redx2 ability on a black mage then the black mage can cast two high lvl black spells or a high powered attack spell and one of the cures that the red mage gets.

At least that is how it worked last I checked.

DocFrance
03-02-2005, 11:16 PM
!W-Magic lets you cast two spells from any of the spells you have equipped. So if you put !Summon, !Time, and !X-Magic on a Mime, you'll be able to double-cast summons and/or time magic.

Jojee
03-03-2005, 08:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/farisbm.gif

Now that's hot.

Hahahah.... xD Yes, and y'know who's REALLY hot? Fighter from FF1! Black Belt wasn't so bad, either... oooh hotties ^_^ I love my pixel men. :love:

Anyway I never liked red mages, I always thought they were pretty useless :) If you're gonna learn something, you might as well learn it thoroughly instead of trying to do everything at once ^_^ <3 white and black mages.