PDA

View Full Version : Scary Video games

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Ever play a game that ever spooks you? I'd say that the scariest game I'd ever played was either PSX or N64 Doom, the atmosphere and the music and sound effects made the game incredibly scary. I recently downloaded mods to make Doom 2 on my PC have the music and Sound Effects from the PSX Doom game, I had a hard time sleeping last night because of it. This music is freaky, here (http://doomdepot.doom2.net/music.html#psx) are the mp3s for the music on Doom for PSX and N64. Listen and see for yourself.

theundeadhero
01-15-2005, 04:50 PM
When Quake was first out I used to play it all the time. The game had a really creapy feel to it. Sometimes I would round the corner and all the sudden a monster would scare the crap out of me. I would jump in the air and my hands would fly everywhere so I would have to rush to get them back to the keyboard or die.

Dr.K
01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Some levels in Nightmare Creatures (1 only) for the PSX had some excellent atmosphere id say. Especially at the time of its release, as you didn't realise how 'dated' the graphics were. Other levels just had too many enimies and it turned into a hack n slash affair.

kikimm
01-15-2005, 09:35 PM
The scariest game I've ever played is, however obvious it may be, Silent Hill 1. Both psychologically, and....well....it has more than enough "BOO!" moments. Silent Hill 2 was creepy enough, but it has nothing on Silent Hill 1 in that department.

That game, as well as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is pretty damn scary as well. The Ocean Hotel is very reminiscent of The Shining. I had to stop playing for awhile, to get the nerve to go through the rest of it.

I'm lame.

:D

krissy
01-15-2005, 09:45 PM
silent hill because of the locker

Lord Chainsaw
01-16-2005, 02:00 AM
There was this level in Turok called the Catacombs. Wasn't that scary at the beginning, but near the middle of the level there'd be these hallways where Pur-lins would burst out of the walls and kick your ass. They weren't hard, it was just startling when they broke the wall down and made their noises.

Posting this has made me realize how sweet Turok was. I think I'm gonna nab myself a copy of that game soon and play through it again.

Mindflare
01-16-2005, 06:49 AM
silent hill because of the locker
I crap my pants just thinking about that. That is the only game ever to scare me. I can't bring myself to play that game these days. And I'm not easily spooked.

Pheesh
01-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Britany spears dance party (or whatever it was called) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I woke up screaming in the middle of the night until i could finally get my hands on ff8 and clense my soul.

Calliope
01-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Resident Evil One or Two.

STUPID JUMPING DOG.

Doomgaze
01-16-2005, 08:11 AM
There was this level in Turok called the Catacombs. Wasn't that scary at the beginning, but near the middle of the level there'd be these hallways where Pur-lins would burst out of the walls and kick your ass. They weren't hard, it was just startling when they broke the wall down and made their noises.

Posting this has made me realize how sweet Turok was. I think I'm gonna nab myself a copy of that game soon and play through it again.

I think you're going to be disappointed xD

nik0tine
01-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I haven't played any really "scary" games, but resident evil can freak you out a little when you don't know what's coming...

Cless
01-16-2005, 10:55 AM
The Fatal Frame games make me crap myself! The atmosphere is so tense that I sometimes find myself hesitating while moving, or standing still outside a room that I'm just too nervous to enter. IMO they are scarier than both Silent hill and Resident Evil.

Also, I find that in horror games sound is the main factor in producing scares. It's for this reason that I play them using headphones with the sound whacked up to a very high level. BELIEVE ME! Doing this all but ensures a nerve shredding experience. It literally multiplies the scare factor.

Ichimonji
01-16-2005, 04:33 PM
The first Silent Hill freaked the hell out of me.

malice
01-16-2005, 05:26 PM
resident evil used to scare me when i was younger lol

CloudSquallandZidane
01-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Doom 3 maybe it wasnt scary just suprising.

Also this other called "Learn about Fear", the demos avaiable.

Levian
01-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, I played Resident Evil when I was 9, and that scared the hell out of me. I wanted to play it real bad, and I was good at it too. I was just very scared of the unknown :p I memorized the part up until the third saferoom. (The one beneath the stairs (The one without the serum)), but after that point, I wouldn't go any further. Too afraid of the snake. Now, I've finished RE1, 2, 3 and CVX. Outbreak is weird though.

But if being 9 years old, then Silent Hill is the scariest game I've played. SH2 was pretty damn scary too. Mostly because of the prison level. AND PYRAMIDHEAD. He doesn't want to die :mad:

Crazy the Clown
01-17-2005, 06:16 AM
I nearly made a homie crap himself with the old school game, Splatterhouse 3. There was a scene where a little girl was playing the piano, but she was a ghost. As Rick walks up to her, she becomes a hideous ghost head and growls real loud. Doing that with a girl, I made her jump 7 feet in the air. That was funny as hell.

bigbri2k5
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Silent Hill 1 was really creepy the first time i played it

Flamethrower
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Britany spears dance party (or whatever it was called) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I woke up screaming in the middle of the night until i could finally get my hands on ff8 and clense my soul.

The second I read the thread title I just knew someone was going to say that Britney Spears game. :</>P

Resident Evil was pretty scary when I first played it.

alexholker
02-07-2005, 05:17 PM
The first time I played System Shock 2, it was... paranoia inducing. It's the sort of game where if you need to do anything with your equipment, you stand in a chemical storeroom, facing the door, weapon in hand.

Dreddz
02-07-2005, 06:00 PM
i didnt really think of Doom to be a ' Scary Game ' . Sam e with Quake. Most People will say this but Silent Hill 1,2,3 and the room were the scariest games. Th efear and horror of the game is what made me keep playing it

Erdrick Holmes
02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Why are people scraed of the SIlent Hill games? I played 1 and 2 and they didn't phase me a bit.

amratis
02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I've never been really scared by a game, apart from Silent Hill 2 (only Silent Hill I've played) - that had me fairly jumping behind the sofa at points. But then I'm only a girl so :p

I remember when I was little being scared of Tomb Raider, lol
And that bit in FF VII when Jenova-with-no-head has gotten out in the Shinra building and theres that trail of blood everywhere, but that wasnt scary so much as creepy.

amra

Dreddz
02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
the silent hill games were scary! 1 werent so scary but from number 2 i was ******* my pants all the time

Zeldy
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
i only saw a bit of it but Eternal Darkness(GC)
and Shadow man(N64)

YunaGirl05
02-07-2005, 08:35 PM
when i first got aliens on ps1 it was scary but i was like 9 then

krissy
02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
The first time I played System Shock 2, it was... paranoia inducing. It's the sort of game where if you need to do anything with your equipment, you stand in a chemical storeroom, facing the door, weapon in hand.

especially since it's so realistic, you take two hits and you die
made me jump a few times and im not even far yet

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
02-08-2005, 08:33 AM
RE 1

Got me paranoid for ages while i was trying to sleep!

can someone tell me what the locker thing in SH was all about?

Jack
02-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Silent Hill was scary upon first viewing, especially cause I'm only watching it. That Locker thing... Silent Hill 2 was very scary but 3 was just... odd. Not scary but odd.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:jLM8AX6ihHYJ:www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/silent_hill2/silent_hill2_2b.jpg
However the scariest gaming moment: Whenever I get attacked and I don't expect it/don't see it. Many a occasion I jump out of my seat.
Suspects:

Doom/Quake/Tomb Raider/Descent/Half-Life/Far Cry/Ace Combat :D/Resident Evil/Enter The Matrix/Alien Trilogy/Die hard Trilogy/Project Zero/...and mant more I'm such a scaredy cat)

Dreddz
02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
A game not alot of people have said which i got and did give me the creeps was forbidden sirens. There were some things you could do which would ruin the atmosphere . Like you could see what the monster saw. Bit weird

absinthe fairy
02-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Silent Hill 3 is definately one hell of a creepy game. The disturbing visuals and psychological aspects of these games is definately fear inducing. There's some weird stuff in this game. The freakiest thing about it is probably something that's usually obsecured in one of the areas, namely Brookehaven Hospital Alternate Side. But never mind what it is, lol. :P