PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4

SomethingBig
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm getting this god among games today. So far, I've heard no bad things about it; IGN gave it a 9.8/10. For those of you that have played it, is there anything I should know about it that will turn me off? Go ahead and rant about how godlike Resident Evil 4 is, too, cuz I sure will, when I get it.

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll probably get it when the PS2 version comes out. Wouldn't this be called "Resident Evil 5"? I think they forgot about Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

I dunno if I'll play it that much, from what I heard it was very hard.

SomethingBig
01-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Didn't the previous REs have different difficulty levels? And I doubt anything can be harder than Viewtiful Joe.

edczxcvbnm
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
The previous RE games had difficulty levels. Code Veronic did not though.

I want to get this game so bad but I have way too much on my plate right now and since I am not in twn that means I can't play games every night to catch up. Only on the weekends.

Jowy
01-15-2005, 08:46 PM
From what I've played at work, it's freaking cool. I'm glad that bullets aren't such a commodity in this game either, since the things you kill actually drop them this time around.

kikimm
01-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I saw it months ago, on a website, and it looked really, really awesome. So I was bummed as hell when they announced it was just for Gamecube. So when I read in PSM they were releasing it for the PS2...I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out.

But I'm wondering---do you need to have played the other RE games to really understand this one?

:D

Super Christ
01-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Kind of. You can understand the main story of the game fine without having played the rest of the series. For what's going on on the side, playing the Resident Evil remake, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil Code Veronica (in that order) would be a good idea to get the plot, and are awesome games to boot. While you're at it, may as well play RE: 3 too. There are some massive spoilers after this point.

There is a lot of talk about Wesker. I'm really hoping there's going to be a Resident Evil 5 because it's gotten my curiousity up about what he's doing nowadays. All I can tell from the game, primarily through the Operation Ada minigame, is that he's trying to restart Umbrella. Which is weird, since in the first game he betrayed them and in Code Veronica he was working for some company called HCF. Granted, I can easily believe he'd try to restart Umbrella if there was something in it for him, I just have no idea what could possibly be in it for him.

And despite the fact that there are no zombies, there still is one single T-Virus monster in the game: Krauser. There's no way he hasn't taken a hit of the T-Veronica virus.

All in all, awesome game. They changed a lot of stuff in this game to keep it fresh, but the final chapter regains a lot of the old Resident Evil feel.

SomethingBig
01-16-2005, 03:49 AM
This is an unbelievably amazing game. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time I played(played a total of 1 hour; definitely playing more than that tomorrow, though). It definitely blows every other survival horror game clear out of the water.

Erdrick Holmes
01-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Super Christ

If there are no T-Virus monsters in RE4 then what are those people chasing you in the game, are they normal humans who don't like you or zombies who have smarts?

Super Christ
01-16-2005, 10:43 AM
They have parasites in them that control their behavior (and, as they pointed out in the game and I looked up online to be sure, there really are parasites that can control their hosts behavior). These parasites are semi-intelligent and social, and so are able to take commands. The Lord Saddler that the villagers mumble about is at the top of the parasites heirarchy, and so basically mind controls all the villagers.

And why Wesker wants a sample of these parasites is because the fact that the parasites are altering their hosts behavior, rather than killing them and reanimating them, so they retain some intelligence and are able to take orders; perfect for a bio-weapon. The only thing the T-Virus has on these parasites is that it spreads easily, while these parasites must be physically injected.

Like I said; I hope there's going to be a Resident Evil 5 - while Wesker's motives for wanting the parasite are clear (could easily be developed into a bioweapon), the reasons he wants to restart Umbrella are not since he betrayed them in the first game to the highest bidder.

nik0tine
01-16-2005, 10:53 AM
So, after I finish up Xenogears, I should be buying this game immediately, right?

Super Christ
01-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Absolutely.
Yep, it's another Come to think of it, I also wonder what Wesker did with Sherry Birkin; if I recall correctly from Wesker's Report, he kidnapped her at the end of Resident Evil 2.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-16-2005, 12:27 PM
can someone tell me what happened to Claire Redfield? I don't have RE: Code Veronica, and why isn't she in RE4?...

Levian
01-16-2005, 06:29 PM
and why isn't she in RE4?...

Well, the RE persons seems to be taking turns with being the hero/heroine.

And as to what happened to Claire Redfield in Code veronica X: Nothing.

SomethingBig
01-16-2005, 06:30 PM
For those of you that are planning on getting this, I must warn you: this game is extremely difficult.

louby_4eva
01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I didn't even know RE4 was out yet.........I've defo gotta buy it. But I've gotta complete RE:CVX and final fantasy 2 first.

Lulu
01-17-2005, 07:15 AM
For those of you that are planning on getting this, I must warn you: this game is extremely difficult.Yes it is. I love it though. Probably one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Chzn8r
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Yes, this game is STELLAR. BRILLIANT. UNSURPASSED. I'm on roughy 4-3 (I think) right now, I GUARUNTEE if you like video games, this one will blow you away! I'm new to the RE series, so it's not like I just like this because it's better than the last few REs. No, from a straight-up gamer's standpoint, I think this game is perfect, in every way it could be. The graphics, the AI, the combat system, the weapons and all their effects on the enemies and upgrades at the shops... and the bosses, WOAH DAMN THE BOSSES! So many of these will have you fearing for your life, screaming when you die, and bloodthirsty when you know it's time to FINALLY kill them! No two boss fights are the same, they all have some ingenius, new, creepy aspect to them that makes each one worse than the last.

I can't say enough good about this game.

Oh, and there is a HARD difficulty after you beat it... what the hell, it's not hard enough? Man I'd piss my pants ruined if I tried a harder version of this game.

Anyways, yes, the story and gameplay are very fresh to Resident Evil games, and no doubt it will blow your mind. I suggest watching Gamespot's video review: http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Resident+Evil+4+Video+Review&path=re4_gc010705vr.asx&pid=535840&ppath=gamecube%2Fadventure%2Fresidentevil4&ksubmoid=&urdate=1105430400