PDA

View Full Version : Best FMVs ever?

Ultimate99997
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm basically questioning whether anyone has noticed any drastic improvements in FMV sequences on FFX from earlier titles (eg ff8 and ff9).

I realised that although the ps2 opened up a new world of top notch graphic capabilities there wasn't really a striking difference in FMV quality when the final fantasy series switched to the ps2.

Does anyone have any arguments or comments and what do you think final fantasy creators are truly capable of if given time?

finalheaven
01-15-2005, 11:29 PM
hmmm.......i well they were similar..but maby because they were using the same software..i dunno.i thinkthe FMV's in X are much more well oiled and smoother..and the small details are rendered better. in older ffs eg 8 and 9...the skin complextion for example is much more relistic in X . Iguess in X they wer able to make finer, more complex details..like Yunas patern on her clothes andover all to seamlessly intergrate it into game play.

rubah
01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Are you kidding me?

The quality between ffx and ff8 especially is HUGE.

FFX: twice the resolution. TWICE. (although apparently ff8pc has twice the resolution of ff8ps). Friggin' PNG lossless quality. (As I thought about this once, the fmv and ingame graphics can be related as such: Ingameff8: Gif with single color transparency. FMV: mpg, very lossy.--- ingame ffx: png with alpha transparency, mng:D much less compression/lossless.)

anyways, saying that ffx's fmvs weren't better over ff8 and ff9's is similar to saying that advent children's graphics won't be better than ffx's. (or x-2, if it strikes your fancy. or ff12) of course I dont' really remember what ff9's looked like, and I dont' remember if I have them ripped to compare. I guess I could look. . . .aha, found them. ah. the compression in ff9's fmvs makes me cry;_; They're really pretty, but still, the flickering back and forth of pixels trying to save space and still look similar to what they were intended is v. distracting.

the compression in ff8 especially about kills me sometimes:) It's mostly on the solids, but there are a lot of solids then.

but anyways, ffx wouldn't have the best ever, because they were just starting out on the ps2 and nothing's really perfect anyways. Stills and videos from ffxii show a lot of promise though:)

(oh and take into count I start at a lot of pixels in a day, yaygraphicarts, and my eyes are used to looking for compression, so I might be a bit hypercritical sometimes:) 0

Sr. Tobias
01-16-2005, 12:12 AM
u could see th difference, which, even tho what rubah wrote, I wouldn't qualify as huge, between ff8 and 9's FMVs, and x's, but it was only one of th first games on th ps2... if u think of th difference between ff7 and 9, then u we could assume that by ff13 (if there's any kind of pattern, which there seems to b anyway: every 4th ff is developped for a better console, main series only), square'll hav exploited th full graphical potential of th ps2...

I don't know how to classify ffxi, coz it's so different than th others, but if we count it as "main series", then we'd get max potential with ffxii... but that just seems too near...