PDA

View Full Version : Re: MSN Ettiqutte

Baloki
01-15-2005, 06:28 PM
1) Hey if you add someone to MSN you should at least tell them who you are.
2) Saying your name when asked where your from is generally frowned upon.
3) Using ASL will get you blocked by most people if it is not meant jokingly.
4) Signing off after your first chat with swearwords doesn't bode well.

So this topic is have you ever had any random person add you to an IM client (Bar AIM as thats what AIM is for) and not explain themselves, they just expect you to be their friend straight off?

If not, why not?!?

Citizen Bleys
01-15-2005, 06:52 PM
The answer: Don't use MSN Messenger. Or any instant messenger any time that it's not necessary. They're just boring timesinks.

I use AIM when I absolutely must, and I don't mind o'ermuch, as I'm very good at blocking people or just not responding to IMs (In the latter case, it usually means I'm talking to 3 other people and trying to browse at the same time and that's effing hard because I'm a man, but I can haul out the cold shoulder on purpose, too)

MecaKane
01-15-2005, 07:17 PM
4) Signing off after your first chat with swearwords doesn't bode well.

wtf? If you're talking to someone and one of you swears you have to stay on for several hours after the chat?
MSN bugs the hell out of me, though. I have no idea why everyone in the UK loves it so much. I only use it for talking to a few people and automatic new mail messages.

Baloki
01-15-2005, 07:18 PM
No I meant if someone types something like well f*** you then and signs off :p

MecaKane
01-15-2005, 07:26 PM
"4) Signing off, after your first chat, with swearwords doesn't bode well."

"I suck the most, guys."

Rye
01-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Nah, can't remember a time it's happened to me...

Psychotic
01-15-2005, 08:29 PM
The best part is when they ask you who you are, after they added you.

zacks_clone
01-15-2005, 08:31 PM
The best part is when they ask you who you are, after they added you.

My second most MSN pet peeve.

The first is when they ask you A/S/L before your name. That really irratates me.

Logan
01-15-2005, 08:41 PM
If people add me to MSN and I don't know who they are, I block them until they pop up online and then I ask them who they are. I don't like not knowing who they are.

kikimm
01-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, it's happened before. Normally I don't mind, but I don't exactly understand how people would add me, if they really have no clue who I am. I'm open for the random conversation, sure, but come on. Ugh.

:D

Yamaneko
01-15-2005, 09:24 PM
MSN has a messenger?

Sorry Del.

Chaos
01-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I've had the whole people adding me then not knowing who I am loads.

I also hate it when someone adds you, you say who you are, you have a chat, they go. A few days later, they sign on saying 'hi, who r u?'

Gah.

I had this guy add me to my msn list and not talk to me for a year, then he randomly IMed me with the sole intention of insulting me.

Apparently he 'showed me' who was boss and totally 'owned' me by his frequent use of swearwords as nouns, adjectives AND verbs. Also his anatomical references towards my personage were spot on, also he got the descriptions of what I most likely do in my private life totally accurate. Spooky.

The fact that he was 21 and I was 17 made it even funnier.

I think he used to post here.

I guess he 'owned' me in one sense - I'm sure my IQ went down after talking to him.

Chaos

Dr.K
01-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Someone adding you who doesn't know who you are is definitely a peeve, especially when they are from a different country and start asking you if you go to their local state school.
Bigger peeve probably is when some near-illiterate person pseudo-aggressively tells you to say something when they "invite their mate in". Someone once told me to say to his girlfriend she was fat, for reasons i can't even remember. When i declined, the window-scrolling commenced. The things we have to endure to use a software that never fails or "cannot sign you in because the service is 'busy'"

escobert
01-15-2005, 10:48 PM
I really only use AIM so no :-p

Sr. Tobias
01-15-2005, 10:57 PM
once I did that: I added someone I didn't know who it was. but it was really a mistake. I was adding someone whom I knew, and forgot an underscore or something. when I got that, I apologized and took him off my list, but apparently he didn't, so th next time I came in, it was like he had added me, but he wasn't online, so I couldn't straight things out. anyway I never caught him online eversince. but th funny part is, at some point he sent me an email asking me who I was, and saying that if I was a hot chick, to plz answer him back... well, bad luck: I'm a guy...

another time, I invented a character of somesorts to freak out my friends: I'd talk about th "guy with the axe"("homem do machado" in portuguese) that would come when it was really dark. then I thought of adding "homemdomachado@hotmail.com" just to see if someone had thought of it, and someone had, but I didn't talk to that person either...