PDA

View Full Version : Singing

Rye
01-15-2005, 08:01 PM
I've seen a few musical instrument threads, but no singing ones. Does anyone here enjoy singing? Do you sing in a choir or go to any singing competition of sorts?

I love singing. It's a beautiful feeling, to sing. I used to be in a choir last year, but Mom pretty much nagged me into taking art classes because she believes I have some crazy talent in art which I really don't. I like drawing, but I prefer to sing much more. I think she just doesn't like me singing. Also, I used to take singing lessons but Mom stopped bringing me one day, another sign she just doesn't like me to sing. :/

I've been to a singing sort of competition. It's not really a competiton, but basically you have a few months to memorize a song, then you go into to a local school or something and perform it to a judge and get scored. I did that last year for the first time. My singing teacher told me to skip level 1 and take level 2 (the highest is level 4) and I was a point away from going to level 3, but I was really nervous and forgot a line! xD I was happy with how I did though.

Anyways, do you sing and if you can, will you post a file of you singing?

Necronopticous
01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I sing Utada Hikaru songs in my car all the time and there is no way you're getting an audio file of it.

01-15-2005, 10:55 PM
i sing along when i hear a good song or play my guitar or just plain bored.

boris no no
01-15-2005, 10:56 PM
i love to sing but i'm really really rubbish!!i mean it!! i sing in a monotone voice!
i still sing at the top of my voice! much to the annoyence of my family!
if you've got the talent do it! i wish i could!

Kossage
01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I enjoy singing very much. It's relaxing and nice, and by singing I can make a lot of people happy. I'm not bad at singing but I don't consider myself to be an awesome singer either (although some people do). And girls like it when I sing some ballads to them, so singing has its perks. ;)

LIVE4THEMOMENT
01-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I simply sing when I'm listening to songs/groups I like the thing is I have a very deep voice so I can't sing stuff such as Amy Lee's music without sounding odd

01-16-2005, 01:07 AM
you can sing one of frank sinatras songs.

sascha
01-16-2005, 01:14 AM
I love to sing.(hence the signature lol!) I get lessons and I've been doing the whole performing thing since I was 3. Talking of singing competitions you reminded me that I've got a festival soon and I'm crapping myself- time to forget my words! The only thing I have of me singing is a short clip that lasts 6 seconds long of the beginning of Evanescence-Imaginary. You know the bit Amy Lee sings right at the beginning before the song actually starts? I don't know if that's ok.

Rye
01-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I know that part. *crazy insane Evanescence fan* :D

sascha
01-16-2005, 01:44 AM
*crazy insane Evanescence fan* :D
Yeah same here. I don't think I'm me anymore... I think it's half amy lee ;) nah just kidding.... Nearly everything I sing now is Evanescence. I bought my pianist friend the book so I could sing with it and it's great. :love:

Dingo Jellybean
01-16-2005, 06:23 AM
I use to sing...for a short while. Like a 1.5-2 months. After realizing how bad I was at it, I quit. It also doesn't help that I sometimes have something stuck in my throat. Like an infection or something, I've tried taking medicine, but it never helps. So annoying.

So even if I had the time and motivation to sing, I couldn't.

However, I do remember hitting a few notes on R.Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly. Even when I first started...or at least that's what my ears thought. Man, I would have loved to record it and listen to myself...I swear...I hit the right notes! Or at least some of them...and that was when I was beginning.

I always liked R&B/Soul music because of the incredible singing the musicians possess. R.Kelly, Alicia Keys, Joss Stone, and Michael McDonald...those guys are just _SO_FRIGGIN_TALENTED. Especially Michael McDonald, that guy must have came from the gospel, because he can just belt it out. People who sing in the gospel, they are just so heavenly when they sing...I can almost feel their emotion...but eh.

But then I quickly turned my attention to the piano. I guess my long fingers were better suited for the piano instead of my crappy voice.

sascha
01-16-2005, 04:30 PM
I found my six second voice file hiding. It's kind of crap it's all I really have but anyway.. here's my voice singing the first little bit of Imaginary (although I listened to my c.d and actually realised she sings what sounds like "aah" and i sing "oh" so ok) :p

Rye
01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, that was good. :D I have files of me singing parts of songs on some quick little site I made cause Geocities wouldn't let me post just the songs on LJ or anything else. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, so sorry if it doesn't. :o

Singing files. (http://www.geocities.com/kawaiifire2990/jesssinging.html)

sascha
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
You've got really good potential in there. I especially noted in Broken you didn't strain up to the high notes in a chest voice which a lot of people do. For points to work on I think I thought you had to work on holding your vowels on but I'm not sure now since I went back and Geocities screwed up. :mad2: :p I thought other stuff too but I can't check lol

Rye
01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks! :) I'll work on that. I always have troubles with pronounciation when I sing, like ending my sentences crisp and not ending with an "uh" like Michelle Branch when she sings.

One day I need to buy my own hosting server so I don't have to rely on the evil Geocities. :(

Pure Strife
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I sing for a rock band. Badly.

Rye
01-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Is it still called Pregnant Jake? :o

Pure Strife
01-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Nah, I just played guitar in that. Different band.

escobert
01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I used to sing, and I was a pretty good singer. But now my voice has changed and smokign dfoesn't help any so I cna't sing great anymore :p

The Captain
01-16-2005, 11:15 PM
I've been singing on and off for about 15 years, though I still haven't taken any official lessons. More or less in musical theater, in shows, for competitions and the like, though I'd really like to actually learn how to sing properly.

Take care all.

DMKA
01-17-2005, 02:47 AM
I found my six second voice file hiding. It's kind of crap it's all I really have but anyway.. here's my voice singing the first little bit of Imaginary (although I listened to my c.d and actually realised she sings what sounds like "aah" and i sing "oh" so ok) :p
That is, in all seriousness, very good. Everytime I listen to it I automatically sing "paaaaaaaperrrrrrr flowwwwwerrrrrrs" after. xD

I sing almost everything I listen to when I'm alone...I've actually been told I sing well...but you still aren't hearing it.

Kirobaito
01-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I absolutely adore singing. I never really got into it seriously until a few years ago, and since then I've really worked on my mechanics and pitch, instead of just belting songs. Some of EoFF has heard me sing from a Yahoo Voice Conference that BoB set up, but I'll see if GeoCities will be willing to let me upload a .mp3 of me singing. However, I must offer a warning...chances are it will be either country or folk.

<b>Edit: Okay, I have John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane for you all. :) Hopefully it will work. :) Facey says it does. Meh. I'm a bit flat at the beginning of the 2nd verse, and overall this isn't my best performance, but it uploaded, so I'll go with it. I didn't crack anything. :p
http://www.geocities.com/eoffsupreme/jetplane.mp3</b>

Daryl
01-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I love to sing. I have a really crappy rendition of me singing the Song of Prayer (Valfor) from FFX. Yeah, I probaby have the wrong title for it, but I never played the game, and forget the exact title. It's fun nonsense words with no accompaniment. If I find the link, I'll edit this.

I have trained my voice since I was 12 or 13, taking some more serious lessons in college as a voice major. I don't think I'm the greatest, but I do admit that I sound pretty good most of the time. Especially in person, rather than on crappy computer microphones.

Rye
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Wow, that was good KB! I like your voice. :D

Kirobaito
01-18-2005, 11:49 PM
The program that I used to record is called "CDex." It's free, and encodes in .mp3 format. Very, very handy, so people don't have to download psychotically large WAVs.

I have another recording now, this time of "Perhaps Love." This song was originally done in 1980 as a duet between John Denver and Placido Domingo, one of the Three Tenors. That's why at some points in chorus and final verse, you'll hear the piano part shoot up a bit with different pitches. That's supposed to represent Domingo singing, but it was a bit difficult for me to do. =P I did better on this one than I did on "Jetplane," but I still goofed up a few parts.

Right after I say, "Perhaps an open door," I sort of stumble into "It invites you to come closer," because my mind went blank. I also changed a few words in the beginning of the chorus, and in the final verse made the qualities like a mountain instead of an ocean. :o! But meh, you all wouldn't have noticed that anyway.

OK, here's my second song. It's just me and the piano this time. A ballad.

http://www.geocities.com/eoffsupreme/perhapslove.mp3

Cute_Tifa26
09-30-2005, 05:02 AM
:tongue:I love to sing.
I can sing 2nd soprano. I was the only one in my class that could. The rest of the girls were 1st soprano. I can hit Christine Daae notes from the phantom of the opera

Shlup
09-30-2005, 05:04 AM
I sing a lot. Terribly too.

No, I'm not being modest. I really sing horribly. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it but I don't sing around other people (excluding a couple) out of courtesy.

Rye
09-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I sing 1st Soprano in my Chorus. There are only 4 others girl in the whole choir who got into it, so I feel proud. xD

Captain Maxx Power
09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I love to sing. I've sung more than I've talked in my life. I've got no files to send you apart from ones of me messing on like an idiot. And some unsuitable to be posted here. Let's just say I've got songs about Prarie Dawgs doing, *ahem* unsavoury things to one another, and the sounds they make.

Rusty
09-30-2005, 02:14 PM
I love to sing along with the songs I'm listening to, but I cannot sing to save my life. I'm a dancer, not a singer - I can rap alright though. Not saying rap isn't music - no way. But I think you get what I mean.

Chris
09-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't care what people say about me or how I sing. I was in a few musical plays some years ago, but I had some surgery on my throat, so now, my voice sounds girlish and like Michael Jackson. >_>

I love singing though, and I'm proud that I'm still able to sing, especially after all the trouble I've had with my voice and throat.

Cz
09-30-2005, 06:43 PM
I enjoy singing, and used to be in a children's choir before my voice broke and went a bit crazy. Now I get roped into singing for my band because nobody else wants to do it, but I haven't got any files so you're not hearing a note of it. :D

It's still fun to sing along to songs, though.