PDA

View Full Version : Archiving

Cz
01-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I know this is a rather trivial issue to bring up, but the policy of archiving threads seems rather bizzare at the moment. There have been a number of great threads that I'm sure the majority of board members (and no, not just the BAoTW spammer demographic) would like to see archived, but have been passed over, yet stuff like this (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54285) has been grouped in with the very best that EoFF has to offer.

Not that it isn't a decent thread. It's fairly amusing, and a couple of people make some good points in there, but it's nowhere near as funny as say, 'I H8 U SUPER DELETE', nor as intelligent as most of the debate topics we see in EoEo. If this thread deserves archiving, then there are dozens of others that need to be in there too.

Don't worry, I'm not going to demand that a list of my favourite threads be archived, I'd just like someone to make it clear how archived threads are chosen, so I can make sense of the current setup.

Citizen Bleys
01-15-2005, 09:04 PM
At random.

Cz
01-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah, very good. Close and/or archive this, please. :cool:

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-15-2005, 09:07 PM
You said it, buddy.

Yamaneko
01-15-2005, 09:08 PM
I would've archived this thread if it only was the first post.

Cz
01-15-2005, 09:10 PM
I would've archived this thread if it only was the first post.Sixth post would probably be more random.

Psychotic
01-15-2005, 09:13 PM
BAoTW spammer demographic'sup? :cool:

Del Murder
01-15-2005, 09:27 PM
When Shlup isn't looking I'll move the life one out of there. Yes, I'm still bitter over Della.

Samuraid
01-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Speaking or archiving...

Are any of the pruned topics backed up at another location, or are they lost forever?

Mindflare
01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Old backups are something I've thought about often myself. Will we ever see those long forgotten pruned threads again, are they gone forever, [or are people/is a person] hoarding them away from the general community for reasons of bandwidth and serverspace?

theundeadhero
01-17-2005, 06:24 AM
From what I understand, they're automatically pruned off and lost for all of time.

Baloki
01-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Knowing a certain Loony BoB there are probably backups hidden deep within a bank vault or something...

m4tt
01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah, we call it the "Garbage Forum". :D

-N-
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
You should unarchive a thread and keep bumping it in GC to confuzzle peoples. :20dollars:

Samuraid
01-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I remember a great topic that ended up being a really long story in the general Final Fantasy forum. It was hilarious, but I never got to finish reading it. I guess it's just gone... :(

Del Murder
01-19-2005, 02:52 AM
The archives are a lost cause. They are basically for threads the staff likes and have little to do with public opinion on what is great. Of course, it is hard to gauge that in the first place.

Question, how many people actually sift through the Eyes on YOU archives? And I don't mean right after the person's turn is done and you want to see their respose to your question.

I do like the awards section, those things should be preserved. Some of the rest give me the 'huh?' reaction, but I just might not have been in the loop for those. If certain people want some classic threads archived, propose it here and I promise we'll at least discuss it. They should be for everyone's enjoyment.

Samuraid
01-19-2005, 03:09 AM
I propose that we go back in time and place the Final Fantasy ultimate story (from a year or so back) in the archives. :D:D

Del Murder
01-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Ask around, you never know what history our members will save.

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I have old, old archives, but even when I download the version of vBulletin we were running *then* and try to extract the DB, it doesn't recognize it.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
I re-read old archived threads from long ago occationally, for a chuckle or two. I see archiving old Eyes on Yous and the like to be pointless, like Del said. I can't really see them being interesting except to the person it's about.

Baloki
01-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Or to something aweful :rolleyes2

Loony BoB
01-19-2005, 05:40 PM
I re-read old archived threads from long ago occationally, for a chuckle or two. I see archiving old Eyes on Yous and the like to be pointless, like Del said. I can't really see them being interesting except to the person it's about.
Yeah. Although to be fair, I have gone through some old Eyes on You threads to find out something about someone, like their age if they don't have it in their profile or something like that. But yes. It's very rare.

Most of the threads in the main archive are either worth keeping, new or put there for the sake of a few people who would murder me if I moved them out. I agree that the one linked should be thrown out, though. But then also occasionally some threads are archived after only a few posts and while they aren't amazing things that everyone will remember fondly or something like that, they're hilarious to read over anyway (generally the ones Kishi archives). :p

As for all the ones that didn't make it, that's why we have the stickied thread in the main archive right now. I miss 101 Reasons to Hate Dr Unne. :(

Cz
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Or to something aweful :rolleyes2 That's why the archive is important. The SA article is part of EoFF history, and some people might have missed it the first time around (I know I did). Threads like the Fifth Anniversay/RSL Day need to be archived to provide easy access, but also to educate the ignorant youth of today about their glorious past.

Thanks a lot for your support, Del. I promise not to flood the place with requests, at least for a little while. :D

Loony BoB
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Oh, yeah - my backup of the pre-vB3 EoFF database went duff because my CD writer is arse, however I'm pretty confident that clout still has it. As for older db's, if Bleys doesn't have anything that works then it'll be Cid, Scottie or Unne that would have them, if anyone.

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I still have the whole damn EoFF server, as it was on the date of my resignation, on my hard drive.

Uncompressed. Not on a CD. Just on my hard drive.

Agent Proto
01-19-2005, 08:39 PM
We're in a need for a "spam" thread like "35,623 Reasons to Praise Dr Unne and Drink Soda instead of Pop". We're long overdue.

Raistlin
01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
As for all the ones that didn't make it, that's why we have the stickied thread in the main archive right now. I miss 101 Reasons to Hate Dr Unne. :(
Me too. Snizzle and I spammed that to hell.

Cz
01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
We're in a need for a "spam" thread like "35,623 Reasons to Praise Dr Unne and Drink Soda instead of Pop". We're long overdue.It's up to an oldbie to make that one. Anything your average member makes will drop down the page like a stone.

I agree though, those threads are always worth re-reading in the archives. We could use another one.

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 09:00 PM
You can't force those things.

Cz
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Bah, you can force anything with the right motivation. You of all people should know that. *whipcrack*

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Oh, I could create some havoc, all right -- if I were still an admin -- but I disagree too much with the way this place is run present-day, so that ain't gonna happen. So it's just a matter of making some random thread -- just like all kinds of people do every day here -- and getting the right people to spam the hell out of it to get the ball rolling.

In other words, one person being in a silly and fun mood isn't enough. You need at least 2, and they have to feed off of each other.

Last good one I had was with Unne, and we kept banning each other. Good times. Presently, the staffer I see eye-to-eye with the most is Matt, and that's because we're both cantankerous grouches. Not the best recipe for a happy-fun thread, unless it's at the expense of a few key n00bs whom I think I'd be able to make leave.

Agent Proto
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
I said we're long overdue for one, I'm not suggesting we unrandomly start one right now. >=(

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, it's got to be completely random. Plus, you absolutely can't do one without staff cooperation...and almost all of my likely spamming partners are now off of staff.

Loony BoB
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
When Bleys and I agree, it has to be true...

Psychotic
01-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Plus, you absolutely can't do one without staff cooperation...That kinda defeats the whole point... :rolleyes2

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Which is why I have threads in the achive left right and center and you don't. I know how things work :p

Psychotic
01-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Hardcore people don't make threads. They wait for others to make them then hijack them. :cool:

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 11:23 PM
That was a nice attempt by you and Baloki, and serves to illustrate my point that YOU CAN'T ****ING FORCE IT, ***HOLE.

Maybe you should believe me next time. And every time after that.

Psychotic
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
That was a nice attempt by you and Baloki, and serves to illustrate my point that YOU CAN'T ****ING FORCE IT, ***HOLE.

Maybe you should believe me next time. And every time after that.Wait, did you just say you want to **** force my ***hole? Mr. Maynard! I'm just not that kind of boy!

PS: That wasn't an attempt. That was Baloki on Pepsi, and I always like to fuel the flames of that. :)

Baloki
01-19-2005, 11:27 PM
And I just wanted to annoy Shlup, I haven't done it in so long :p

Shlup
01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I didn't know three days was a long time.

Baloki
01-19-2005, 11:31 PM
I try to annoy you every day my darling, although I have been lax of late...

Agent Proto
01-19-2005, 11:36 PM
I try to annoy you every day my darling, although I have been lax of late...

And this is why I think EoFF has gone down the crapper. 8-)

Baloki
01-19-2005, 11:36 PM
And this is why I think EoFF has gone down the crapper. 8-)

I thought that was the day I joined that happened...

Edit: Oh yeah, the archives I think are pritty comprehensive, maybe missing a few worthy threads but who's perfect nowadays?

Samuraid
01-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Heh, if you do have any database backups, reading a topic out of them is quite easy...in fact, knowing the topic ID, a little 1KB PHP script would probably do quite nicely. :D

Peegee
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Simple -- did kishi post in it?

If not, no archive

Raistlin
01-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Unless it's <a href="http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20910">this</a>.