PDA

View Full Version : Is Unlimited Saga any good?

Cless
01-16-2005, 10:12 AM
From what I've read, Unlimited Saga is the videogame equivalent of having your eyeballs ripped out but I still have this strange urge to buy it. I've seen it on amazon.co.uk for twelve pounds and I just want to know if you guys think that it is worth the purchase.
Thank you.

Madonna
01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Silence means it bites! And it does. I played it for a week, trying to see when it'd get good. IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Then I realized I had better things to do, and played Suikoden III.

Roogle
01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I heard it's like a board game and has a pirate named Laura.

Cless
01-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have not read one positive review of this game and it doesn't seem like anyone likes it at all. So, I guess I won't be buying it.

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, I love it personally, but I've always been a fan of the SaGa series. They don't get such a good response in America because they're so against RPG tradition. The earlier ones were extremely non-linear. Basically you could do anything at any time, including fight the last boss in like 10 minutes into a characters story. Unlimited SaGa is really experimental. Everything is based on luck reels and movement is done with an avatar and a colored board, like an RPG board game. I can see why these games don't appeal to many people, especially in America, because they're so different and a lot of times they are totally different than people expect.

Honestly speaking, you probably won't like the game. I love it but I don't suggest it to people because I've seen what almost everyone else thinks about it. If you're up for something completely different maybe it's worth giving a shot.

If you have any other questions about it before you try it I'll be happy to answer them.

Cless
01-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I think it looks REALLY interesting. I would really like to purchase it but have not because of all the negative things said about it. However, I would consider myself very open minded when it comes to video games.

If you have any other questions about it before you try it I'll be happy to answer them.
If you would be so kind:
1. What do you think the game excels at?
2. Is the music good?
3. What about the story?
4. Is there a game you could compare it to?

P.s. Necronopticous, I loved that whole thing you did with FF4, the "power of cheese" thing. It was hilarious! :D

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Originality and playability, if you enjoy the game there is lots of characters to play through with, it really gets fun when you run into other charaters whose story you've already played, or teaming up with other characters.
It's mostly ambience of the type of place you're in which is done well in my opinion.
Again, it's original, and it's not as 'epic' as say, a Final Fantasy installment... You're not going to save the world from a psychopath trying to become a god, but the story is good and just gets better as you play through with each character. The thing is that they all have their own side stories and you do quests as you travel sort of piecing together the bigger picture.
Video game? No. It's really original, I guess if I compared it to something it would be Hero Quest the RPG boardgame, but just because you don't control a character running around but rather an avatar piece on a board.

Glad you're a fan of my dairy. Anything else you want to know?

Cless
01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
5. Just how "hardcore" is it?
6. I've read it's very difficult, is this true?
7. What way does the battle system work and does this also function with 2D artwork?
8. If you were a reviewer, what would you score it out of 100?

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 08:01 PM
<OL start="5">
I don't know what you mean by "hardcore"
Depends on who you choose, some stories are long, some are short, some are easy, some are very hard.
Battles happen in 3D like most other playstation RPGs and they are random battles, however, you use luck reels which basically, if you get lucky you will do critical hits, if not you will do normal hits or below normal hits. Sort of hard to explain but easy to understand the minute you do it.
I don't believe in video game reviews which are on a point system because I've played 99.8/100s and thought they were pure crap while I've played people's 0.01/100 and loved every second of them. If you really want a number on how I value the game personally I would say... 80/100

Cless
01-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I mean "hardcore" as in, do you need to be VERY patient and have a lot of free time to appreciate it. Like you know, a "hardcore" gamer. I'm starting to confuse MYSELF now!

Anyway, I think I'll give this game a try. It sounds original and seems interesting enough to warrant a 12 pound purchase. Thank you for responding to my questions Necronopticous. It certainly was a refreshing change to see someone with good things to say about this game!

Cheers!

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I do what I can.

DJZen
01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Actually, I'd really like to know the answer to Cless's last question too. I find myself having less and less time to play video games in, so their overall length and how much of my life is going to be devoted to it is a factor in whether I want to get it or not.

Necronopticous
01-24-2005, 09:05 PM
erm... It doesn't require any more time or patience than a Final Fantasy installment... Well, maybe more patience if you don't like it, although if you don't like it I don't know why you would play it. Chances are, with the way 90% of people outside of Japan feel about this game, you probably won't like it.

Endless
01-24-2005, 09:26 PM
One of the things tha several pointed out that made me steer clear of USaGa is the fact that you have to go through very long, tough areas without the hint of a savepoint. If you can stand it, no problem, I just know I can't.

On the other hand, I liked SaGa Frontier 2 a lot except for one thing: the last two missions (fighting some dragon in the woods, then the egg), mark a huge, and I mean HUGE, increase in difficulty, and if you don't overlevel a lot beforehand, well, tough cookies, you won't pass (especially the egg). It jumps from normally difficult to insanely tough, and that annoyed me.

DJZen
01-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Chances are, with the way 90% of people outside of Japan feel about this game, you probably won't like it.

I tend to fall on the 10% side of that equation. I liked FFII and FFMQ after all.

Dreddz
01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
dont listen to anyone who says its good cause its the worst game ive ever played. Its so boring

Ryth
02-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I heard it was really bad i wouldn't advise it, you at least want to rent it first.

DJZen
02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I dunno if it's really fair to make a reccomendation on a game you haven't played...

Cless
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Well, I got it a few days ago but hadn't played it until last night because I was busy completing another game and hate trying to play two games at once.

The first thing that impressed me is the packaging. I don't know what it looks like outside of Europe, but over here it looks like a "special edition" boxset made of cardboard with artwork all over it. It certainly looks the part in my game collection!

On to the game itself, let's just say I started playing it at 8pm and was still plugging away at it come 3:30am! It's very different from anything I have played before, but in a good way. I find it extremly addictive, and even though it doesn't blow one away, it's definately a refreshing change of pace. Playing this game relaxes me, with it's lovely 2d artwork and its pleasant tunes, it's easy to lose oneself in it.

I really like the "reels" system that this game uses. It's the most original battle system I have seen in an RPG in some time. Also the HP- LP sytem is very novel. Athough, I was as confused as hell at first when my characters were on 0hp and were not dead! But you soon get the hang of it.

I think it's highy complex however. Probably the most intricate gaming system I have witnessed. Did you know that there is actually an ecology sub-system in full force? It's extremly in-depth.

I can clearly see why this game is not everyones cup of tea, but the same reasons why people don't like it are precisely the same reasons why I do. I feel that, like a book, it lets you use your imagination.

Unlimited Saga gets a :thumb: from me!

Necronopticous
02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm glad I was able to sway your decision and you ended up enjoying it.

Cless
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks again, Necronopticous! I wouldn't have bought this game if it hadn't been for your reccommendation.

DJZen
02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Aww man, now *I* want it!

Destai
02-06-2005, 12:43 AM
I passed it up for Breath of Fire V a year ago but as soon as Ive saved a bit I plan to buy it on ebay.

boris no no
02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
possibly the worse game i ever played...

eestlinc
02-10-2005, 06:23 AM
is this game on psone or pstwo?

Mirage
02-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Playstation 2.

eestlinc
02-11-2005, 03:20 AM
well at leats I won't have to worry about ever buying it, then. :D

Wiegrahf42
02-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Short answer: No. Long answer: Noooooooooooo