PDA

View Full Version : About Sephiroth

Kamrusepas
01-16-2005, 11:30 AM
This may be a stupid question, but why is Sephy immune to fire? Is it just because his general superiority?

redxiiii
01-16-2005, 01:01 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Not sure, maybe he has a special accsessory you should look on the flashback at kalm :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ichimonji
01-16-2005, 04:28 PM
No, as I recall, you can't access Sephiroth's Equip menu.

Kamrusepas
01-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, you can't control him in the flashbacks.
I was just wondering, since the dragon you fight with him does absolutely no dmaage to Sephy and later on he legendarily walks thru the flames...

UltimaLimit
01-17-2005, 09:50 AM
You can access Sephiroth's equip menu during the Kalm flashback, you just can't mess with his stuff. You can't control him during battles, but let's face it, you don't really need to.

I think his walking through the flame wasn't because he was immune to fire. He just watched where he stepped.

Why he's invulnerable to monsters and stuff is obvious from gameplay perspective (people like me wander around indefinately with him, so sooner or later he'd wear down, therefore he must be invincible). But as for logic... that I don't know.

malice
01-17-2005, 09:55 AM
i remember he wore the tough ring i think
in my opinion he was able to walk through the fire to show how powerful he was

lord shishio
01-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, in a famous picture that I ( and probably many others) have seen, he's standing in the center of a large flame, so who knows?

battousai9439
01-19-2005, 02:42 AM
It's probably just to make him look evil and badass.

Bubbles1230
01-19-2005, 02:55 AM
he' got an excessory makin him immun 2 fire, ice, andlightning. there might be more, but i dont know them. you can acsesshis sceen and use his healin power on you of you need it.

battousai9439
01-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Oh, probably a tetra elemental?

UltimaLimit
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Afraid you're wrong, battousai9439. Malice remembers correctly. Sephiroth wore the Touph Ring (think that's how it's spelled). It offers +50% to (I think) Vitality and Strength. (Can't remember the spelling or exact benefits, but I remember the name, and remember it boosted stats). It provides no elemental protection whatsoever. I still say Sephiroth's just A) careful not to step directly into the embers and B) one tough S.O.B. and able to take the heat. Not to mention he was insane, and crazy people have unnaturally high pain tolerance.

Dark Sage
01-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Awww, you have a problem. He just ignore normal fire because hi is very powerfull. But does it realy metter? Maybe just SQUARE made him that way in the code? Ask them.

UltimaLimit
01-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Of course he was programmed that way; we're just debating why, and how it could logically be explained to fit the story. Remember, Sephiroth was always pretty strong, but he didn't reach his full god-like power until Disc 3 with meteor summoned. At the flashback, he was still mortal (just extra-powerful due to training and Jenova cells); therefore, the fire would have injured him if he had been careless.

Asking Square isn't a bad idea, though.

finalheaven
01-20-2005, 11:24 AM
maybe it was artistic licence.....he just looks good in those flames..a contrast to what he already is

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, I think it was artistic license. It is such a classic FMV that we shouldn't care about the details.

A pic of Sephiroth in AC is this scene involving walking through fire, so I assume they have that scene in the movie. Do we know if there is more detail in the AC cut of this FMV? That might help. By more detail, I mean, as he's walking away, it will look a little more realistic and maybe he avoids the fire a little better?

lord shishio
01-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Yah well......he was probably a fireman in... his past life.............................AND YOU WERE A WORM!!!!!!! HAHAHA :hyper:

sayen
01-21-2005, 03:13 PM
the jenova genes make sephy imune to most things or it could just be that phyiscs dont apply in fmvs.

Shoden
01-21-2005, 05:30 PM
well the game doesnt have to aby to the laws of physics and reality, it doesn't have to make sense. maybe his equiptment combined with jenova cells make him immune to low standard elements the flames werent like fire 3 or something

Destai
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
SPOILERS:I have to ask, Was Sephiroth even alive throughout the game? The more and more people add to the Jenova theory the less and less Sephiroth had to do with the story. People say he died back in Nibelheim fighting against Cloud and you dont see the real him until the northern continent. The rest is just an illusion created by Jenova. The illusion part makes sense to me but some people think the time you see him in the northern crater was his "corpse". Surely he had something to do with the story???

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-29-2005, 11:45 AM
His body was preserved in the Lifestream. Besides flashbacks, you never see the real him up and kicking until the very end of the game, when he shows up in Holy's way and gets all Bizarro on you. There are times when he basically speaks through Jenova, though, so in those instances it may as well be him.

Camanche
01-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Um, I could be wrong, but doesn't Sephiroth have the Element and Fire materia link in his armour in the flashback?

UltimaLimit
01-31-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm 90% sure you're wrong. I know he had the following:

Fire3 + All
Bolt3 + All
Ice3 + All
Quake3
Life2
Cure3/Regen

I don't recall any Elemental materia at all. Just attack materia, with All paired so he could slaughter groups more efficiently. I'll double check when I get a chance, just to be sure, but I still say he was just careful in the darn flashback.

Raistlin
01-31-2005, 04:59 AM
It was just a freakin' FMV that Square thought(rightly) looked cool. It's called "it's a damn game."

DJZen
01-31-2005, 05:22 AM
His body was preserved in the Lifestream. Besides flashbacks, you never see the real him up and kicking until the very end of the game, when he shows up in Holy's way and gets all Bizarro on you. There are times when he basically speaks through Jenova, though, so in those instances it may as well be him.

Not to completely derail this thread, but I never got that impression. Is this actually alluded to and I'm just inobservant? 'Cause that happens.

Camanche
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I thought he had Quake3 attached to an 'All' materia, and the Elemental-Fire combination in his armour. I know I'm probably wrong, but for some reason I have this strange hunch. Can anyone confirm this please? I don't have a save around that part in the game.

ljkkjlcm9
01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Just so you all know, if you have fire proof clothing, you can walk through fire, which is all he did, people jump through fire in movies and stuff too, it's not like he lit himself on fire and nothing happened... and as long as the fire doesn't touch your skin, you won't get burned, and who knows, maybe he did catch on fire a little and after he got away he put it out... HAHA!

THE JACKEL

Kamrusepas
02-01-2005, 08:04 AM
It's impossible for someone with Sephiroth's hair to walk thru such tall flames without them getting burned.

Bisithorious
02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
He uses a special kind of shampoo and conditioner. Not only does his hair look damn sexy, but the stuff protects his hair from 90% of the things that can damage it. The downside: it attracts lice.

Maxico
02-02-2005, 05:57 PM
You stole my line Bisithorious.

You see he has very sleek and smooth hair. Its practicaly dripping with moisture, therefore even in the most intense heats it stays nice and cool (somebody like cloud for instance would burn like straw with his dry hair) and his clothes just came out of the washing machine (hey, if your going on a killing spree you dont want to have last nights nasty ketchup stain on show.) Now his skin would be tough and covered in calisis due to the constant fighting and would be virtualy nerveless. The woods itself would be from realativly young tree's (as the materia keeper is terrorising the upper reigons of the mountains, not to mention the random encounters loggers would encounter causing the area for chopping wood to be restricted meaning that the trees they cut down would have to regrow for the next generation of houses) as such the wood would burn much more slowly meaing that the fire is cooler than an average fire.

There. Is that a good enough explaination for you?

Kamrusepas
02-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Thank you Maxico, that was very thorough.

ravenzero2000
03-03-2005, 02:44 PM
You guys really wanna know why Sephiroth is immune to all those things, well its because.....

He's Freakin SEPHIROTH! ULTIMATE BADASS IN ALL OF FINAL FANTASY! ENOUGH SAID!

Masamuneˇ1600
03-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Okay, a little clarification:

Sephiroth's flashback materia combinations link Ice with All, Lightning with All, and Earth with All. Fire is not attached to anything, and Restore and Revive are linked, obviously to no additional effect. Everything he has is mastered.

There is no Elemental Materia attached to Fire, which is in his Masamune, and not his Gold Armlet, anyway. The fact that he is impervious to Flame Thrower should not be linked to the FMV sequence of him walking through the flames; rather, note that he is impervious to all attacks, physical and magical. Also, since Stare Down fails, it can be assumed he is immune to all statuses, at least for the purpose of the flashback. Finally, Sephiroth never loses MP, no matter how often he uses his spells.

There are several probable reasons for this. For one, there would be some sort of logical inconsistency if one's party were to be destroyed in a flashback. Cloud is obviously alive when he's telling the story, and it makes more sense to have Sephiroth be invincible than proto-Cloud (who didn't really exist, but that's a topic for another time). In any case, an invulnerable Sephiroth prevents the problem.

Also, from a statistical standpoint, Sephiroth is very similar to the playable characters when they are at the same level (Lv. 50). Much of Sephiroth's high (for the time) attack power can be attributed to the 99 attack rating of the Masamune. His HP is unremarkable. Therefore, from the story standpoint of conveying Sephiroth's power, invincibility is almost necessary (although this would be retroactive, since it is very unlikely that anyone is near level 50 at the time of the flashback).

As to the FMV sequence, he quickly walks through some flames, and essentially disappears into the distance. This is meant to look cool, and in some ways to define Sephiroth. It has nothing to do with immunity to fire.

As to Sephiroth and the Lifestream (MAJOR SPOILERS ahead):

Cloud's flashback never actually happened. Or rather, it did, but the "Cloud" in the flashback was actually Zack. After Sephiroth went on his rampage, both Zack and Tifa were stabbed by our villain. Cloud came along, and was also stabbed by Seph. However, Cloud, in reality only a grunt soldier, somehow managed to take the Masamune by the blade and throw it and its wielder into the Mako depths of the reactor.

Sephiroth, however, did not die. He floated through the Lifestream, probably absorbing some of the knowledge of the Ancients, and ultimately ended up in the North Crater. Physically, he remains there the entire game. You only actually see Sephiroth when Cloud gives him the Black Materia in Disc 2, and during the final battles.

However, even though Sephiroth was physically confined to the crater, he was able to influence the rest of the world. There is some debate as to the actual mechanics of how this happened. It has been suggested that the Sephiroth chased throughout Disc 1 was actually one of the Nibelheim Clones, mentally controlled by the real Seph. Similarly, some maintain that the Sephiroth being chased was a psychic projection of himself. There are theories that, using his body as a template, Jenova or Jenova cells took on Seph's form. This is not really improtant though; what is important is that Sephiroth in some way managed to control an image of himself, and was followed by the characters. So, even though he wasn't physically around, he was manipulating much of what was happening.

Camanche
03-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you very much. That cleared up a lot of things that I have been wondering about.

udsuna
03-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Don't forget... Sephiroth was a powerful warrior in his own right. Used to going from warzone to warzone, and slaughtering everything in his way. He's not a weakling, and he's probably used to things like napalm and getting ifrit called down on his ass. He can take the heat, and he wouldn't be dumb enough to wear flamable clothing. Besides, it's anime, those never make sence.

Shuyin.Sephiroth
03-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Although sephiroth is very cool, the resistens against fire isn't because of his superiority, cause if it was he would be immune to al element, at least that would be logik, probably has some kind of bracelet.

Shoden
03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Sephiroth is a suped up cooler and better version of Jesus

Camanche
03-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Jesus. Yes, Jesus....