PDA

View Full Version : Burning CD's Etc. (Right Place?)

Little Miss Awesome
01-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi, like I said in the title I don't know if this is in the right place but I was wondering if it is legal to like, say, borrow a Cd from someone and put the songs on your computer and Ipod?
And is it legal to swap songs with friends over MSN?
Thanks for reading this, please tell me if you know!!! :D

Baloki
01-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Nope its not legal. :D

RSL
01-16-2005, 05:58 PM
You can copy a CD that YOU purchased onto YOUR ipod or comptuer or whatever and listen to it YOURSELF. But you can't copy music and give it to someone else or swap files over the internet or any of that stuff legally. Many do it, but it's not legal.

Mirage
01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Depends on where you live. Here in Norway it's legal to make copies for private use, which includes your family and close friends.
Now, "close friends" is a relatively loose concept :].

crono_logical
01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Hmm. Is it legal to borrow a CD, copy it, then delete the copies when you return the CD? :D

Kirkpatrick
01-17-2005, 12:28 AM
...I was wondering if it is legal to like, say, borrow a Cd from someone and put the songs on your computer and Ipod?

It is in Canada!

Here in Norway it's legal to make copies for private use, which includes your family and close friends.
Now, "close friends" is a relatively loose concept :].

Neat. Here, you can only copy things for yourself, not for other people...that seems like it could get into some very interesting legal issues as far as "close friends" go :p

Baloki
01-17-2005, 08:41 AM
I doubt Canada allows you to copy other peoples CD's to put on your computer as that would be the same as downloading them, they probably let you copy CD's you personally own though.

Kirkpatrick
01-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Actually, it does :p

As long as you copy them for your own private use, it doesn't matter where you get them from :p
Making these songs available, however, is a little more dubious...

There's a levy on blank cds, the idea being that the money from that goes to the artists (or at least the industry :p), and so since one has already paid for the right to copy in music in advance, in a way, it's perfectly okay!

The amendment to the Act legalized private copying of sound recordings of musical works onto audio recording media - i.e., the copying of pre-recorded music for the private use of the person who makes the copy.