PDA

View Full Version : MLK day

Carnage
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
he deserved this thread and i didnt see anyone else make one so here ya go. he was able to gain black rights through non violence and taught the world a lesson. He was truly a strong man.

RIP

-N-
01-17-2005, 07:18 PM
He did a lot to move the social progress of the US forward. There's a very nice memorial dedicated to him in Atlanta, Georgia; I highly recommend taking a look at it. It's a shame someone decided he should die - but even in death, his influence is just as strong.

:ty: MLK

PS: Ironically, MLK Blvd. in Atlanta is the sketchiest slum I've ever seen. :(

nik0tine
01-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I highly respect Dr. King, not only because he was so influential in minorities gaining thier civil rights, but because he did it nonviolently. He is a true leader, and deserves the utmost respect from everyone.

theundeadhero
01-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I concur :)

Chaos
01-17-2005, 10:36 PM
He was a great leader. Truely motivational. Although his later campaigns didn't have as much effect, his early civil rights work on the Montgomery boycott and the formation of the SCLC did great things.

He also got shot on my birthday. Hmmm.

Chaos

fire_of_avalon
01-17-2005, 11:58 PM
A lot of violence was committed in his name, especially during his later campaigns and after his death. I'm glad his memory isn't sullied by these events and I hope it never will be.

And Neel is right, MLKJr Blvd in Atlanta is freaking SCARY.

Doomgaze
01-18-2005, 12:00 AM
It is in most cities, actually.

Del Murder
01-18-2005, 01:49 AM
King was one of the greatest leaders in history. A worthy person to admire.

EDIT: I didn't get the day off, though. :mad2:

The Captain
01-18-2005, 03:29 AM
Martin Luther King Jr. was a simple man, with very large dreams. He was a singular voice amidst the racial tensions that had consumed the USA, a man seemingly apart from the violence that happened, and a soul that longed for a more equal world.

What he strived for was a place, devoid of racial prejudice, where people could just live and be happy with who they were, and not have to worry about their race, their culture, their creed, and he lived his life trying to fulfill that dream.

King, along with Ghandi, Mandela, and a few others, showed that one person can provoke change in the world for the better without using force or violence as a means to an end. Even now, almost half a century later, his words still echo throughout, and we all bow our heads to realize that such a simple, yet such a beautiful dream is really within our very hearts.

With every waking moment, we must find the love and compassion for one another if we ever wish to make Dr. King's dream come true. Though progress has certainly been made, there is still plenty to do to ensure that true love, peace, and equality reigns.

I usually spend this day every year listening to his speech on an old record we have at my house or on my computer, and tears always well up in my eyes to think that this one man could change the world so profoundly.

Dr. King, our world is a better place because of you and your memory will continue to inspire us.

Take care all.

DMKA
01-19-2005, 05:47 PM
It is in most cities, actually.
You know, I've been to one in Chicago, LA, and Oklahoma City(Yes, even in OKC), and that seems to hold true now that I think about it. O_____O

Itsunari 2000
01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
A true inspiration :)