PDA

View Full Version : Locke or Edgar; Who's stronger?

Flamethrower
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Who is generally a better fighter between Locke or Edgar? I ask this because I'm having touble deciding which one of them I want as my fourth teammate. I already have Terra and Celes for their magic, and Sabin for his blitzes. I need one more person to give the Illumina-Genji Glove-Offering combo to, and that leaves Edgar and Locke. (I've used Edgar throughout the game until this point but I've noticed his tools arn't as efficitive as they use to be.)

So which of the two is better? I'm mainly asking who has better attack power, but their other stats are important to me too.

Flying Mullet
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I typically prefer Locke to Edgar only because you can have Locke Capture and use either the Genji Glove or Offering as the other relic. Also Locke's speed is a little higher so he can attack quicker in battle, but Edgar hasa bit more strength. But then again you can up either of these stats on either charcter. Both are good choices though.

Braindead_Paul
01-18-2005, 06:09 PM
(I've used Edgar throughout the game until this point but I've noticed his tools arn't as efficitive as they use to be.)

At a cerain Level his Drill will always inflict 9.999 damage for free. That's very useful imo.

Strider
01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
As far as attack power, Edgar has a distinct advantage. Locke's speed, though, makes up most of that difference. I don't use Capture as much as I use Edgar's Tools, so I prefer using him.

Zante
01-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Edgar is stronger, and he has more abilities than Locke.

Flamethrower
01-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Well, I just screwed myself by getting the Ragnarok esper instead of the sword, so now I can't get the Illumnia sword at all. :mad: :cry:

At a cerain Level his Drill will always inflict 9.999 damage for free. That's very useful imo.

I've heard that, but I don't plan to level up that high. Right now, I've equipped Edgar with a sword and a lance and it's been doing more damage than drill.

boris no no
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
seen as i've only just started :p 3 hours baby!!
i choose edgar! just coz i only steal with locke at the mo!!
plus edgar is hotter!!
the bandanna is NOT a good look!! :tongue:

Martyr
01-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Locke is better.
Edgar is stronger.

IOf you focus on Edgar, like I like to do, then he'll be better than Locke because stealing in this game goes only so far. Focusing on Locke only improves his abilities of questionable importance (Capture or Genji? Speed or strength? Improving strength and fighting ability will sort of destroy the character.)

Del Murder
01-23-2005, 02:36 AM
I like stealing, so I usually keep Locke around more often.

magus19
01-23-2005, 03:44 AM
Locke is much better.
even though he is weaker than edgar, you can make it up by leveling him up while he is equiped with an esper that increases strength.

Behold the Void
01-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Because of Edgar's versatility with the tools, I do not like giving him the Genji Glove/Offering combo, so that usually goes to Locke instead. I don't use steal a lot, so Genji Glove/Offering is certainly the way to go for Locke.

Armisael
01-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I prefer Locke cause he has bandana! :tongue:

nik0tine
01-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Who is stronger? Edgar, by far. That's not even debateable.

Edgar
01-30-2005, 01:03 PM
It depends how you compare them. If you compare via one on one vs monsters, Edgar has a SLIGHT advantage because of his Tools.

If you compare via one on many monsters, Edgar has advantage because of his area attacks.

If you compare Locke vs. Edgar, Edgar has advantage because he is capable of dealing lots of damage in one bloody hit.

If you compare via one vs...

Nevermind, Edgar is the best.

mythus
02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I would choose Locke, if I had to choose between the two. Though Edgar's tools are very fun, especially his chainsaw, equiping Locke with the offering and Thief Glove gives him 4 attacks, or in this case, 4 captures. Thus 4x's the chance of stealing nice items and doing damage.

Wiegrahf42
02-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Edgar tools were strong in the world of Balance, but quickly became obsolete while Locke became more useful. He's great for the Illumina/Atma weapon/Genji glove/offering combo, and steal is invaluable (Even better with the thief glove).

The Captain
02-22-2005, 07:38 AM
It's very interesting that the posts don't reflect the poll results.

Overall, I choose Locke, mostly because he is an interesting character, though like others have said you can beef up just about any character with the right setup.

Take care all.

Destination0
02-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I picked edgar because of his tools...
although I like locke more...

desh
02-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Locke for sure. The genji glove/offering with atma weapon/valiant knife is a great combo. The valiant knife gets stronger as locke's HP goes down, and the atma weapon is stronger with higher level and HP. You can get 8x of 7000+ damage with this easily. Also, if you've been leveling Locke correctly (equipping Odin when he levels), he becomes extremely fast, and can attack very often. Oh, and I love stealing from enemies.

Poopcannon
02-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Who'se better? Neither. I use Terra, Celes, Sabin and Gogo. BUT, in the world of balance, Edgar is better because his tools are still strong compared to the monsters. Once you get Gogo, you can have BOTH steal and tools in the same character, but Gogo isn't as strong as a character (which is kinda made up for by the mimicry thing)

Masamune·1600
02-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Locke should be in everyone's party, because Steal is critical in acquiring certain items. Personally, I used both characters in my final party; I find Tools to be much more useful than Runic or Morph.

ljkkjlcm9
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I hate Locke, there are no items he can get by stealing, that are not possible to get another way. I'd go with edgar, his chainsaw always did 9999 for me. In fact, I never used that genjiglove/offering trick, I just used the characters special abilities.

Gogo/Edgar/Sabin/Cyan was my party, and they were unbeatable... the only spell I really used was quick... final boss all forms didn't get hit...

But yeah, I never liked Locke, not even a little, my two favorites were Cyan and Sabin, but that's just me... and just give your offering trick to one of the girls if you want it, it's better than magic anyways...

So in your case, I'd say Terra/Celes(cause you want those two) and Sabin/Cyan... but that's just me...

THE JACKEL

desh
02-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Ugh, I think Cyan is one of my least favorite characters. He's just too slow; I can't stand waiting for his high level Sword Techs. Though, Dispatch is very nice early in the game.

I've seen a couple people mention how good Edgar's tools are, specifically the Drill and Chainsaw and how they can do 9999 damage. The problem with those tools is that they do 9999 damage only once and to 1 enemy. I'd much rather do more than 10000 damage to a single enemy (gengi glove/offering or just one of those) or 9999 damage to multiple enemies (Ultima). That's much more useful, I feel.

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Ugh, I think Cyan is one of my least favorite characters. He's just too slow; I can't stand waiting for his high level Sword Techs. Though, Dispatch is very nice early in the game.

Well he isn't slow if you use Odin to increase his speed... and casting quick works well for not worrying about getting hit for his swdtech, course you dont get that until after you upgrade the esper which increases speed...

THE JACKEL

Llanowar
03-03-2005, 05:03 AM
In all honesty steal/capture is about the most worthless ability in the game except for the VERY FEW occasions where there is a good item to be gained. I have in all honesty beaten the game without ever getting Locke in the WoR just to prove that the game could be beaten without the benefit of Life 3 (Phoenix). Basically Capture loses all viability after you leave the magitek facility and Tools with drill and chainsaw still have usefulness especially when the Atlas Armlet powers the tools up even though it says "fight" in the description.

My final party is Sabin and Gogo for Bum Rush Celes with genji/offering and Terra with a crapload of spells to cast. Edgar can fill in for Celes it's all a matter of who got more experience and spells.

Braindead_Paul
03-03-2005, 12:12 PM
In all honesty steal/capture is about the most worthless ability in the game except for the VERY FEW occasions where there is a good item to be gained.

I really liked steal/capture, especially the Thief Glove/Genji Glove combination. With two strong weapons equipped, you could do a lot of damage and try to steal two times (even four times with the Offering). And I think in FF6 there are a lot of enemies worth stealing from.
However, I also think Edgar is better when it comes to fighting.

Dormos
03-04-2005, 03:20 AM
I'd use Edgar... mainly because I hate using Locke. I don't see the point in stealing, unless you want 99 Potions. Stealing is pretty useless.

I usually use Edgar/Sabin (of course. every party should have Sabin) and for my last two, I switch between Cyan, Gau, and Mog. Rages are FUN!