PDA

View Full Version : Japanese is better.

Shinobi
01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Has anyone else thought that the ff games(X,X-2,XI..) would have been better if they had kept the origional japanese voices and just used subtitiles coz the english voice acting can be a bit off at times.
Anyone who watches anime will know what I mean.

finalheaven
01-19-2005, 02:03 PM
not really coz i watch anamie and yeah sometimes the jap voices are betetr then the english voices ..i thought they wrent that bad...but think of the younger kids..some of them cant readthat fast and i think its a matter of opinion..

Mirage
01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I think they should add both. I mean, they only use one layer of the DVD nowadays (I think, anyway). A dual layer DVD would have tons of space for additional voiceovers.

Roogle
01-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't speak Japanese, so I'd prefer English voices.

Mirage
01-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I prefer to watch everything in the original language, be it animation, video games or whatever you want. I boycott everything that is dubbed to norwegian, which is my mother tounge, so it's not just because it's Japanese I want it.

m4tt
01-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Rusty
01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I couldn't think of anything more annoying than reading subtitles while trying to play Final Fantasy. I prefer the English voices.

Zante
01-19-2005, 04:11 PM
English, I don't speak japanese.

Yuffie514
01-19-2005, 05:31 PM
i'm always fond of the Japanese language, but i like the English voices better. i live in the US, so i never played any of the FF games in Japanese. some games give you the options to have both the voices and subtitles in Eng/Jap (Onimusha: Warlords). i think that would be a nice feature to have.

Levian
01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I prefer to watch everything in the original language, be it animation, video games or whatever you want. I boycott everything that is dubbed to norwegian, which is my mother tounge, so it's not just because it's Japanese I want it.

Well, it's not like FFX and FFX-2 is dubbed. They were made in both English and Japanese by the same company. With movies that are dubbed to Norwegian, some other people than who made the movie does the dubbing. Oh, and I boycott movies dubbed to Norwegian too :p Except for Ice Age.

English in Final Fantasies please.

Xander
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Yepyep.

Crazy the Clown
01-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Hell, yeah, cuz!

RedCydranth
01-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Yeah... Japanese speaking in a FF game released in an english speaking country makes no sense. What do you want? Crouching Tiger Hidden FF? Passion of the FF? They dub it in english so the majority of people will easily understand it.

I played FFX without reading the subtitiles because I know that watching the animation is better and I didn't want to miss anything. Placing Japanese would force my eyes to the lower bar on the bottom I may not see something subtle in the animation.

If I can see whats going on and hear (and comprehend) it makes life that much easier.

Sefie1999AD
01-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I couldn't think of anything more annoying than reading subtitles while trying to play Final Fantasy. I prefer the English voices.

Really? That's what I did all the time in FFs 1 to X-2. :D

Seriously though, if there are subtitles, I usually read them, unless they're way off, and that's when I usually disable them. For FFs, though, the subtitles are showing exactly what the character is saying - in fact, it's the characters' lip-synch that is off every now and then in FFX. And I myself have got used to reading subtitles since most of the movies here are in English with Finnish subtitles. It would be a nice addition if Square Enix included an option to use Japanese or English voices (some DVDs contain multiple language packs, so why not FFs too?), so everyone would get what they want. :)

The thing about having the original Japanese voices, or being against dubbing, is all about the quality, IMHO. Usually the original voice acting is better than the one in the dubbed/translated version. However, if the dub is just as good or even better, that's when I have no problem with the dub. Final Fantasy X has overall better voice acting in Japanese, especially for characters like Tidus and Yuna (although Rikku and Auron were very good in the English version), so I'd also like to play FFX with the Japanese voices and English subtitles. Kingdom Hearts was better in English, IMHO. I've seen some pieces of KH Japanese and played KH CoM in Japanese, and I think the voice-overs are better in English. Final Fantasy X-2 is great in both languages. Yuna's still better in the Japanese version, but everyone else is equally good, or even better at some cases. I can't remember whether it was Baralai or Gippal who was a lot better in the English version.

As for vocal songs in the game, I think they should be in English, because the lyrics add so much to the theme. Suteki Da Ne from Final Fantasy X is very beautiful, but I think it would have had even more impact if the lyrics had been translated, the singer stating "Isn't it wonderful if we could walk together, holding hands? I'd like to go to your town, your house, into your arms, into your heart." or something like that while Tidus and Yuna were kissing. Lyrics are a very powerful thing, almost like a whole separate instrument. :)

Del Murder
01-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Yep. It would just be noise to me, and nothing I particularly want to hear.

Croyles
01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
although i agree that the voice overs can be a bit off, i think it is important for the drama that you can hear it in english. ffx would just not create the same drama if you had to read subtitles while trying to figure out strange japanese voice expressions. but with manga i like when its japanese with subtitles, just not ffx.

ShunNakamura
01-23-2005, 12:43 AM
I definately prefer subtitles.. although the dual option thingy is a good idea.

As for not paying attention to the animation? I always now what is going on while reading the subs. But I am a reader by nature.. .part of the reason I prefer subs. Anyways the only time I prefer dub is when I am trying to watch tv and eat.... eating makes reading subs a tad harder while still paying attention to animation...

2 things at once... easy... 3 things at once.... quite beyond me.