PDA

View Full Version : The Grammar Whore Thread

Rampala
01-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Or, "Teh Grammer Ho Tead"
...Yeah.
Just, going insane with the "im gr8 how r u?" type of typing. Is it really that must faster?

So, here's a thread to be a total grammar whore if the way things are typically spelled on the internet is getting to you, yet again. Just, rant, critique grammar, tell us what pisses you off! Or be a total whore and go and head and critique other people's grammar with in the thread. (In other words, be as annoying and stuck up as humanly possible!) Fun? Good.

Time to be Whorish:

It's - Conjunction meaning "It is"
Its - Possesive, belonging to it

You're - Conjunction meaning "You are"
Your - Possesive, belonging to you

They're - Conjunction meaning "They are"
Their - Possesive, belonging to them
There - Describing a location, "Over there!"

Yessssss. Grammar Whores unite! (Or Untie, whatever.)

ljkkjlcm9
01-19-2005, 04:48 PM
the only quick typing thing that annoys me is:
ne thing
anything

it's only one more letter, sheesh

THE JACKEL

Sacred Phoenix
01-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Here = a location ( I'm here)
Hear = somthing you do, like listen (I don't hear you)

oh and "your" or "you're" I'm never sure which it actually is, that people type "ur"

MoonsEcho
01-19-2005, 04:50 PM
lyke omg u r SOOOO rite!!!!111 idk y peeps haf 2......

Okay that was about as far as I can go with it before I start losing my mind. Seriously, I think it looks extremely ugly and unintelligible when people type that way. When I visit someone's website and the whole thing is typed in this fashion, I often wonder if they are so into the habit of typing that way that they write it down on paper as well. Perhaps even on exams or essays? Most of them are pretty young, anyway.

But jeez, "u, r, b..." are all just letters. They are NOT words.

Agent Proto
01-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Liek siriusly. ;)

Only on the Internet where you'll see "hi, wuts u ^ 2" and "liek omg, ur soooo stoopid! lolol u need sum fun!"

Of course it bothers me, but It's fun to use to make fun of people. ^_^

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
The fact that people don't know what to do with the apostrophe in you're and your and the 's' after words(We have balloon's!) irritates me a bit.

Loony BoB
01-19-2005, 05:07 PM
http://angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Also, use capital letters. They are very, very important. Anyone who reads bash will know that you don't want to mess up on capital letters when helping your uncle Jack off a horse.

EDIT: For a good site on when to and when not to use an apostrophe, click here (http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/).

Naughty Tifa
01-19-2005, 05:16 PM
UR SO GHEY LYK u need a life becuz obviusly u need 1

I despise that with all my being. Most of it anyway. When someone types that way I automatically assume they are mentally retarded in real life. (sorry) I can't help it. >< I think that people seriously need to take the time when typing posts, or entries into their web journal. If I come acrossed a site that is written like that I don't even bother to read because it makes my eyes bleed. Honestly, people. Oh, and there's another thing. Run-on sentences. http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifing STOP IT ALREADY. Going," um lesse ummm umm well ya um i guess thats it thats wot i did today um yeah ok bye" Is just as equally if not more so annoying that typing in "leet" or "n00bish" language. Goddammit.

Someone shoot me. :tongue:

Leeza
01-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Someone using profinity bothers me a lot more than someone using incorrect grammar.

Citizen Bleys
01-19-2005, 05:34 PM
FFXI is making me talk like a n00b sometimes ><

i.e., I always say "whm" instead of White Mage, and there are other abbreviations that are so common ingame that you pick them up. (afk, w/e, AFAIK, etc.)

DMKA
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
you = u

I mean really...is YOU that long a word that you can't type it out?

Other than that, I love the rest of it.

Mindflare
01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
FFXI is making me talk like a n00b sometimes ><

i.e., I always say "whm" instead of White Mage, and there are other abbreviations that are so common ingame that you pick them up. (afk, w/e, AFAIK, etc.)
Don't stoop to their level. The urge to resist isn't impossible. >.<

Typing everything intellegably, and completely makes everyone's life easier. Recently, it's been so common to make fun of people who type improperly that it's common even among people who know better. It's sick.

I, too, am a grammar whore.

Tanwen Strife
01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
I'd just like to stand up for some people for a moment.
I am partically dyslexic and so I have trouble distinguishing between they're, there and their. I have to stop what I'm typing, look back and check it's the right one. This is rather annoying, and I tend not to do it until the very end. However sometimes I still don't notice it or do not have time to thoroughly check through. I appologise, but it is not always people being lazy or stupid.

But all the other stuff, big yeah. Needless abrv., Stupid spelling, OMGWTFLOL!!! and over use of the smiley...

Rampala
01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Lack of punctuation is also quite frustrating. It takes me some 15 minutes to decode what you might've meant. *sigh* Although, was really annoys me is people who are terrible spellers and don't care. I have this one friend who I had to stop talking to online because I couldn't understand what he was saying (yes, extreme case of bad spelling). But he knew he was a bad speller and did he care? No. He spelled things wrong on his college applications and didn't care. It drove me NUTS. I carry around a pocket spell check (maybe because I'm a nerd) but I think I spell fairly well. Not to mention when you're using a program that OFFERS a spell check (Like MS Word or LiveJournal) why still refuse to check your spelling?!

I mean, he spelled "know" "knew"-- which is the completely wrong tense! I mean, more examples:

"Memorize" - memerize
"Definitely" - deffinitly
"Comfortable" - confertible
"Honor" - honer
"Scholarships" - scolerships
"Saturday" - Saterday
"Mention" - menchun

Just... ARG!!! Sorry... hence why I stopped reading his journal. :mad:

omnitarian
01-19-2005, 06:47 PM
WhatIdon'tgetis,whystopatusing"ne1"for"anyone"or"2"for"too"or"b/c"for"because"?

Thoseexamplesonlysaveapaltrynumberofcharacters.

Ithinkit'smuchmoreproductivetogetridofthespacesinbetweenwords.

Andifanybodycomplainsthatthemessageisincomprehensible,they'rejustgrammarnazis. Getoffmyback!

Tanwen Strife
01-19-2005, 06:52 PM
How did you do that? I can't type more than three words without touching the space bar. Force of habit I guess. And definitely is a VERY hard word to spell!

Psychotic
01-19-2005, 08:17 PM
"Memorize" - memerize
"Definately" - deffinitly
"Comfortable" - confertible
"Honor" - honer
"Scholarships" - scolerships
"Saturday" - Saterday
"Mention" - menchun

Just... ARG!!! Sorry... hence why I stopped reading his journal. :mad:You spelt "Definitely" wrong xD

Hypocrite :p

PS: I spell "memorize" as "memorise" and "honor" as "honour" as I'm a Brit. Sue me. :)

Dignified Pauper
01-19-2005, 08:41 PM
what ever happened to the EGG?

Rye
01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
This makes me remember the Grammar Nazi Group or whatever they were called.

Agent Proto
01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
what ever happened to the EGG?

Bleys retired.

bennator
01-19-2005, 10:03 PM
And someone yelled at us for having pictures of Nazis in our sigs.

DMKA
01-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Hah! I remember that! That was around the time the "Join The Sexy Chicks in Signatures Club!" thing was going on. :p

ljkkjlcm9
01-19-2005, 10:59 PM
"Definately" - deffinitly

I'm quite sure definitely is spelt with only one F. So, if you're going to correct people, make sure you're correcting them... well correctly!

THE JACKEL

boris no no
01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
i get annoyed with the whole your, you're thing and they're, there and their!!
but i'm slightly dyslexic (is that how to spell it??? possibly proving a point...) so i have trouble spelling. but i always try! i look back and make sure its done as right as pos!
i do have a problem with explanation marks...!!!!! i put too many in. sorry.
plus i like smilies! :D
but yes, i try and use good grammer as often as i can.

Yamaneko
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
hey guys whats goin on in this thread? :cool:

Doomgaze
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm quite sure definitely is spelt with only one F. So, if you're going to correct people, make sure you're correcting them... well correctly!

THE JACKEL

Jackal. Also, the "correct" spellings are on the right in that chart... of course, "definitely" is misspelled there.

Rampala
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
You spelt "Definitely" wrong xD

Hypocrite :p

PS: I spell "memorize" as "memorise" and "honor" as "honour" as I'm a Brit. Sue me. :)

I think being British constitutes spelling some things differently. :p My bad on definitely, EoFF needed a spell check! :p I never said I was perfect anyway. The guy just seriously drives me crazy not because he spells poorly but because he doesn't even care and it's honestly impossible to read some of what he writes.

And you know, in American dictionaries the "u" spellings are listed as correct alternative spellings.

Rampala
01-20-2005, 12:47 AM

THE JACKEL

:confused:
The first spelling is supposed to be the correct spelling, but I spelt it with an "a" instead of an "i." The second one is the incorrect one.

...Wow, yeah, getting castrated for that one, eh? I never meant to imply I was a perfect speller. Just that there's a difference between a spelling error and blatant disregard for proper spelling in even the most basic of words.

...Then again, maybe it was all a horrible joke gone wrong? :p The world shall never know!!!

OCC: What the heck happened to Bleys? O_o

Samuraid
01-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Saying "should of" instead of the correct "should have"...

Rampala
01-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Saying "should of" instead of the correct "should have"...

I can see how that one came about, though. People must hear "Should've" and for some reason think it's "Should Of." I don't know why that doens't bother me so much, I guess because I assume people just don't know-- whereas most people know "u" is actually "you," and so on.

edczxcvbnm
01-20-2005, 01:35 AM
I am not that big of a whore. The only thing I ask is that people capitalize letters when necessary. For example, as the start of a sentence like I am doing or the letter 'i' when you are refering to yourself.

Don't type short hand internet slang. Type your instead of ur.

Commas, uncapitalized proper names and misspelled words are fine with me as long as it does not go completely overboard.

Thats the jist of what I am a grammar whore about. I put people on my block list if they constantly type without punctuation, capitalized letters and internet slang. Its too much to try and comprehend and it is an eyesore to even look at. It's just completely unstructured.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-20-2005, 02:42 AM
I JUST GET ANNOYED WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN CAPS CONSTANTLY. NOT ONLY IS IT RUDE BUT TO ME IT MAKES ME WONDER IF SOMEONES GOT A BAD ATTITUDE OR SOMETHING...IT'S A HABBIT THAT PEOPLE SHOULD BREAK!

I'll stop now...boy that drove me crazy!

01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
YEAH I DONT LIKE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN CAPS LOCK EITHER. I JUST PICTURE THEM AS AN IDIOT YELLING AT ME FOR NO REASON.

Luc
01-20-2005, 05:32 AM
I just hate it when people say "supposebly" instead of supposedly. Anyway, this is in real life. Online, I just get annoyed by the people who use numbers instead of words, or letters instead of words. =/

Hawkeye
01-20-2005, 05:34 AM
what if I cannot spell business or supercalicfrescilisiousexpealidosious?

Roogle
01-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Someone I knew a long time ago once used to really criticize anyone that didn't type exactly like him. After that, I kind of became more relaxed in terms of how I typed. When you talk to me now, you get exactly what you give.

if u type like this i do too :)

But, if you type like this, I guess I will, too.

on the other hand there are mixes of people that like to have like fifty of these.......

ANd then therne are plp that makme a lot of typos so i do too lol

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-20-2005, 05:56 AM
YEAH I DONT LIKE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE IN CAPS LOCK EITHER. I JUST PICTURE THEM AS AN IDIOT YELLING AT ME FOR NO REASON.

Amen to that man! :D

I think there was a thread on the translation of proper grammer to n00b speak...though hilarious that gets me insane after reading it for a while!

01-20-2005, 06:17 AM
PeOpLe WhO tAlK lIkE tHiS aRe AnNoYiNg ToO. and if yoo talk lyke dis and spell today like todai and all that.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-20-2005, 06:31 AM
and then theres the whole homie element with the numbers like:

y0!111 !m dA 60m6 f0 shizzle...yeah im going to stop right there before i make a fool of myself!

Fuzakeru
01-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Grammar Nazis, wherefore art thou?

I recall RPing on Yahoo for quite some time and the people in certain rooms would drive me insane with their horrible grammar and even vocabulary. "Then he snucked into teh room and the lightingn flashs behind him like flashng sparks of lifght his cape floating in the wind as he snucked their." That bothered me almost on the same level as someone running a fork down a glass window.

Oh! It got to me also when people would try to make themselves look really smart and ended up using WAY to many punctuations. "Then he snucked into teh room; and the lightning, flashs behind. him. flashing sparks of light! his cape flotaing; in the wind as he snucked their."

^_^- I'm pretty guilty of typoing myself though. Of course, you all should see some of the early e-mails Myles wrote to me before I was able to teach him. xD!! "I liek u vary much. Allthou i like u i dont know, etc." Oh what fun it is to go back and reread some of those! I tease the daylight out of him for it too.

krissy
01-20-2005, 07:31 AM
personally I think I am in love with Roogle

Resha
01-20-2005, 10:06 AM
I like good grammar, although SOMETIMES I DO DO THE CAPS THINGY. Oh well.

I don't mind using cute internet words like "confuzzling" and all...

What annoys me isn't really a grammar thing, I guess, but my blood boils when I hear someone scream : "OOOOH MY GAWD, THAT IS SO KAWAII!!!!!!!!"

Argh, that word.

o_O
01-20-2005, 12:06 PM
When you talk to me now, you get exactly what you give.

In reverse. :p

&lt;o_O&gt; ;]
&lt;Roogle&gt; [;
&lt;o_O&gt; :D
&lt;Roogle&gt; D:

etc. :p

The mispelling of definitely, 'definately' annoys me. As does the omission of punctuation.

Zante
01-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Using shortcuts on a forum is unnecesary, but it is very usefull on live chats and a must in online games. Being killed while typing -thank you- can be anoyng, so it is logical that people write -ty- instead. If you play online games a lot, using them will become a habbit.

As for gramar, you should bear in mind that not everyone is American or English, so right gramar isn't natural to everyone.

Dr Unne
01-20-2005, 02:16 PM
So long as someone makes some kind of effort to be coherent, I don't really care. There is no inherent reason why one way of typing is more correct than another. Language is a tool to communicate, and if two people agree upon some form of communication, and it works, then there you go.

There are strange social reasons why people care about such things. People will subconsciously adapt their manner of speech to people they want to befriend, or to a group of people to which they want to belong. It even happens in real life. My own style of speaking has changed a lot since I was a child; people in this area (including my parents) have a strange dialect and I've mostly abandoned it. Some of my cousins who grew up here moved to the south, and they now have a southern accent. I even often find people from America who've moved to Britain end up with British accents.

I also definitely notice that because a lot of people use "proper" grammar around this MB, that many people who come to the MB will eventually adopt the same style of writing after time. It's a way to try to fit in. If you want to fit in, you'll try to behave like everyone else.

Another way to fit in is to draw a line and say "Look at those people. They're not like me. They're also not like you. See? We're part of a group, you and me." A "common enemy" is something that draws people together. Which might be the purpose of this thread, really. I used to do this kind of thing all the time too, but I don't care too much now.

Dignified Pauper
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I agree with Unne. However, I still think the EoFF Grammar Gestapo should be revived for one week. Why don't I do it you ask...? The answer is simple, I'm lazy.

Devourment
01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I hate the use of ur, r, & u, possibly the whole lot actually.
OMG Liek ur soooo ghey.....Grrrrrr that use of language really pisses me right off.
What is the world coming to, a bunch of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifing halfwits who don't even care about the language that they speak. :mad: :mad2:

Rampala
01-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Using shortcuts on a forum is unnecesary, but it is very usefull on live chats and a must in online games. Being killed while typing -thank you- can be anoyng, so it is logical that people write -ty- instead. If you play online games a lot, using them will become a habbit.

As for gramar, you should bear in mind that not everyone is American or English, so right gramar isn't natural to everyone.

That's true. I've almost gotten killed in StarCraft several times for trying to type something out. *smacks forehead*

To Unne-- personally it bothers me when people use terrible grammar or replace "you" with "u" and "to" with "2" because it's hard to understand. It takes me longer to read something with said symbols instead of actually words and having to read that for more than five minutes? Imagine if someone wrote a book in l337! Who would read it? Who would be able to read it? Different languages are one thing, but a poorly construed usage of a language so you can type slightly faster is just annoying.

When it comes to bad grammar, I suppose it's a pride thing. Not personally pride, pride of one's language. When you've been speaking a language for 15 years and someone who's been speaking it for 5 (as a 2nd or 3rd language) has dramatically better grammar that you, it's embarassing. It implies you don't care about your language (or your country). All the same, you're going to make assumptions about speakers of a certain language if they can't speak their native language as well as you can speak your 2nd or 3rd.

Rainecloud
01-21-2005, 09:04 PM
how r u 2 day?

I receive plenty of text messages like this, and they annoy me.

But, there's not really a lot I can do about it.

PearlRose
01-21-2005, 09:38 PM
"I don't speak netspeak."

This is how I usually reply to people or comment upon posts that are littered with phrases like: Hi!1!!!11 How R U? NE 1 here?

Personally, I like it when I can easily read something. If a word or two is mispelled, or a comma/period is missing, I can gloss over it and be okay. It's when it's extensive that it gets on my nerves.

escobert
01-21-2005, 09:51 PM
I have like, the worste typing and grammer skills on earth. But I try anyways.

Tanwen Strife
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
The odd 1 instead of ! is to be expected if typing very quickly, but you can, you know, check! Is it just me that ever gets the shortest text messages ever.
K.
Look, buddy, I've just spent 30 mins spelling this out letter by letter because my phone doesn't have predictive. The least you could do is type an O!

Bernhard
01-23-2005, 01:29 AM
I feel that even though I can sometimes be somewhat frustrated by unorthodox language, there's really no need for me to get all agitated. All languages will evolve, change, morph and so forth and they will do so even if I complain about it. I don't see it as something inherently negative.

Though, as has been pointed out earlier, it's an upside if I can actually comprehend what's being written.

Devourment
01-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Something that also annoys me is the constant use of the word "Like", people seem to use it far too much these days. :mad: ....

... ;)

Denmark
01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
as long as someone has proper spelling and apostrophe usage, I don't really mind. >:O if someone types similar to the way I type, I think they're cool.

punctuation is optional