PDA

View Full Version : RPG MAKER 2!

DynasticJam
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey, has anyone ever played on rpg maker 2?

i bought it, i did start making a game, but honestly how is anyone supposed to make a game on somthing impossible, its naff all, it says on the back that you dont need any experience...WHAT A LIE! I hope rpg maker 3 is easy! Like no programming or anything!

Rostum
01-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Let me get this... you want to make a game without any type of programming at all? Good luck.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-19-2005, 11:32 PM
try RPG Maker 1 for the Playstation 1, it is SO much easier.

Hawkeye
01-20-2005, 05:33 AM
what the hell is an RPG maker?

Lord Chainsaw
01-21-2005, 03:12 AM
I encountered a similar problem when I picked up RPG Maker 2 a year or so ago.

The thing is tough. This isn't the kiddie stuff like RPG Maker 1 on the PSX. If you want to actually turn out a half decent RPG expect to put in some time. I'm talking MMORPG type of time.

I bought the guide, and that helped a bit with understanding how the game worked. I remember how much of a chore it was to script entering and exiting of different maps. By the time I figured it out I realized the damn character wouldn't face into the new map but simply face the direction he left the previous map in.

If you really want to make an RPG I don't suggest you use this game. With all the effort you'd put into making the game, it would be a damn shame to have no one play it. You'd be better off using a PC program and putting the game on the internet where at least a few people would be able to play all of your hard work.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-21-2005, 05:37 AM
what the hell is an RPG maker?

It's a videogame for making videogames.

crashNUMBERS
02-13-2005, 06:15 AM
I got rpgmaker 1 and its pretty easy.

Wuggly Blight
02-13-2005, 12:01 PM
I find the pc's rpg makers are better and you can share games better via the net.

Rostum
02-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, RPG Maker 2003 and XP (although with XP it introduces a newer and better scripting language, but is a bit more advanced) are good to use. Or you could really get into Game Maker.

With Game Maker, the language and options aren't overly hard to get used to, although will take a bit longer than RPG Maker. But I find Game Maker has so many more options and you can customise your games so much more. You can make platforms, shooters, RPG's. Any type of games you want - for instance I saw an educational game someone made with maths and numbers, but it had very nice graphics and I'm sure would be good for young children.

Anyways, that's just my take. If you were really serious, you'd get some people together, with different skills (art, music, 3d modeling, programing, etc.) and get a fairly cheap 3D game engine like Torque (3d game studio is just too medicore and not worth the money) and make some pretty neat games. But of course, then that takes a lot more time and effort to get into.

Rainecloud
02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I go for the easy option - RPG Maker 2003. It contains less of the pointless faffing about that plagues the other versions of RPG Maker. The only downside is that everything you do looks like Final Fantasy VI. And that's not a good thing - that's a bad thing.

Manamana
02-20-2005, 12:46 AM
I also bought RPG Maker 2, and found it hard. I don't have a whole lot of patients when it comes to being stuck at something, so I just pop it in now and again to learn some new stuff. Slowly I am getting the hang of it, but after near a year there is one thing I still have no clue over, flags and the other stuff that goes with them.