PDA

View Full Version : Influences on Tactics [Spoilers]

BG-57
01-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Since I've played this game obsessively (might as well admit it) :rolleyes2 I'm curious what other media out there influenced the designers of the game outside of the expected references to other Final Fantasy games. Here's what I noticed:

1) Chinese Zodiac: The game explicitly uses the Greek Zodiac signs, but the compatibilities and incompatibilities are straight out of the Chinese Zodiac.

2) LadyHawke: The whole Beowulf/Reis subplot is lifted fairly intact from this 80's swashbuckling epic, right down to the evil priest and virtuous knight in love with the same lady, so the evil priest casts a curse that transforms them both (minor variation) into different animals at different times of day.

3) Christianity: I hope this isn't offensive to suggest that many aspects of Christianity are adopted for the major religion of the game.

St. Ajora is a martyred messianic figure similar to Jesus, with twelve disciples (the Zodiac Braves) and a traitor (Germonik) who betrays him.

The Golgorand execution site seems to be a reference to Golgotha, where the crucifixition took place.

Also the church structure resembles that of the Medieval church in Europe.

Anyone else notice any outside influences?

Despotus
01-20-2005, 04:26 AM
It seems to me that I've heard the Rafa and Malak story somewhere else. A person responsible for the death of the parents raised the children to manipulate them. I can't remember just where I saw that storyline. Perhaps Merlin's role in the Arthur legend?
And I know there are many stories of patricide in order to sieze power and infighting among brothers similar to the story of the Beoulve family. Again I'm having a tough time thinking of the specific stories. :(
Wasn't the English War of the Roses very similar to the Lion War? Where two different groups both thought that they were supporting the legitimate successor to the throne.

P.S. Hurry and vote to save Tactics in FF Survivor Round 10! It is so awesome that Tactics has made it to the final 4!! :p

BG-57
01-20-2005, 12:21 PM
This may be influencing the other way around, but 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' has that premise. It does sound familiar though. 'Hansel and Gretel' perhaps?

I've seen a similar family to the Beouvle in the anime 'Gasaraki'. The Gowa family has a patriarch with three older sons, and then a younger son and daughter by a second wife. The older brothers are cold and manipulative to the youngest brother, who harbors a mysterious power. Turns out the sister does too.

The War of the Roses involved the Tudor and York families. They used a white rose and red rose as their symbols, so that's a fairly straightforward homage.

I voted off FFVII. It's a great game, but I'm still mad at the scriptwriters for their twisted plot twist. :mad2:

EDIT: Duh! I forgot that there was a Fifty Year War, clearly based on the Hundred Years War.

Fire_Emblem776
02-12-2005, 12:04 AM
thats amazing!! I knew it was enflunced by religion but not that specifit. Wait till i tel my frinds. I mean FF X flat out said it was religion...

DocFrance
02-12-2005, 05:07 AM
The Glabados Church is definitely based on Christianity, though it might be better to say it was based specifically on the medieval, pre-Reformation Catholic church.

Trusty Rusty
02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
A big influence in the game is the social class of the medievil days. The French/Nobility and the Anglo-Saxons/Commoners. Thats what the Death Corps struggle was all about and Delita's as well.

Wiegrahf42
03-02-2005, 03:23 AM
I remember hearing that the Lion war was similar to the War of the Roses.

BG-57
03-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Despotus already mentioned that, but it's a good point and bears repeating. :greenie: