PDA

View Full Version : Metro 60 seconds on Nobuo Uematsu

Tanwen Strife
01-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Mental note to self. Always check to see if you can get an article on line before you spend 30 mins typing in up... This was from a column in Metro (free paper from the undergraound) that has a little interview with a different person every day.

Nobuo Uematsu is on of the worlds most prolific composers, though you may not recognise the name unless you are an ultra-fan of Final Fantasy computer games. He has composed the music for all the series, including Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children. A self-taught musician, he lives in Tokyo with his wife and his dog, Pao.

I believe you’re very fond of Irish music?
Yes, I like it a lot. As you may know, I’ve used some Celtic music in Final Fantasy. There’s some odd familiarity in Celtic music, something that you recognise in music from Japan, Europe or even China and other countries in Asia. My favourite Irish group is Altan. They tour Japan every year and I always go and see them play.

Do you play any Irish instruments?
I’ve tried the fiddle but it is very hard. I play most of my music on keyboards.

Games music always loops continually. Do you find that a restraint?I’m so used to it that I don’t see it as a negative. It’s a challenge to work within those parameters. The melody has to be strong, so games music is often more interesting than a film score, which usually has to act only as background music.

Is there now growing recognition of the talents of composers like yourself?
It would be nice to think so. I think so. When I started off in the games area, people said: “That’s no job for a man.” But I’ve always enjoyed it and thought myself lucky to have work.

Would Beethoven and Bach be working in games if they were alive today?
Oh yes-if they were around, they would be serious rivals.

What is the next challenge for you?
I’m excited about integrating lyrics into my writing more and more. Games music used to be about very simple melodies but now it is becoming much more complex.

Does that mean you are now writing lyrics?
Not really. I am a self taught musician and have had no training and experience in lyrics, so it’s very hard to do. I’ve always admired Elton John and wish I had his talents.

Could you see yourself on stage wearing a gold suit?
Well, perhaps not, I envy his musical talent but I’m not extrovert enough to be a performer like that.

You seem quite a fan. Would you like to meet him?
I’m not sure. I’ve thought about that a lot and I don’t think I ought to. It might spoil the fantasy.

You’ve mentioned you like Altan and Elton John. Any other musicians you admire?
I’m going through a period of rediscovering and listening again to the musical influences of my high school days. I was very fond of British rock of the 1970s so I’m buying albums by T Rex, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd – band like that.

There’s now a band playing Final Fantasy music – Black Mages. How does the realty match your fantasy of the live performance?
I’ve never written my music thinking it would be played live. I just saw it as music for the game and nothing else. All I can say is that I enjoy every stage of the creative process and the live show is another stage for me to enjoy.

Final Fantasy has become such a major part of your life but is it still a challenge? Do you look forward to the next sequel?
A job is a job – so, if I’m lucky enough to be asked I’ll be very happy to do another score. There is a constraint in trying to keep continuity for the loyal fans, so innovation is hard. But that just makes it more interesting for me to try to find solutions that keep both me and the fans happy.

What three things should anyone do if they visit Tokyo?
Eat ramen noodles. Tokyo is a melting pot for all culinary styles of Japan, so it’s the best place to sample all the different types of ramen. Then admire our polite traffic games. In London, everyone swears and shouts. In Tokyo, they sit silently and wait. That’s crazy. And, finally, take a walk by the River Tama. You might see me and Pao out for a stroll. That’s where I get my creative juices flowing every morning.

Cless
01-31-2005, 11:12 PM
You've just got to love this guy...

Would Beethoven and Bach be working in games if they were alive today?
Oh yes-if they were around, they would be serious rivals.
:lol: Seriously, that really brought a smile to my face. The guy's got humour.

You seem quite a fan. Would you like to meet him?
I’m not sure. I’ve thought about that a lot and I don’t think I ought to. It might spoil the fantasy.
That's a pretty interesting answer that says a lot about him.

I’ve always admired Elton John and wish I had his talents.
Humble as well. Ain't Nobuo great! :)

.:the chocobo master:.
02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
I read this: "In the 2004 Summer Olympics, the United States synchronized swimming duet of Alison Bartosik and Anna Kozlova won the bronze medal using two of his pieces from Final Fantasy VIII in the second half of their routine." Does anyone know which pieces were used?

rubah
02-01-2005, 01:20 AM
One was part of Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, I believe.

I've been wanting to see that duet for a long time now.

stupidnotwatchingtheolympics