PDA

View Full Version : New Game Plus vs. Normal Game

Sefie1999AD
01-20-2005, 07:29 PM
What do you think about the New Game Plus feature in games like Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy X-2? While I think it's a nice addition that adds replay value while giving you chance to explore more things or achieve the full completion of the game, I still think it's more fun to play an ordinary game. That's because when you start a New Game Plus, your party will be so powerful with the levels (in CT) and abilities they kept in the previous games, so you'll practically breeze through the game. This is fun for a while, but not for long. The lack of challenge will start to bother me after a while, so usually I just prefer to start a normal New Game and play through it with the normal challenges, and possibly try to do better than on my previous game(s). :p Your opinion? Vote for it!

Ezme
01-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I've only ever come across new game plus on FFX-2 and i think it works well with that kind of game because you can explore more things and get a better completed score without worrying about surviving the nest boss battle.

Necronopticous
01-20-2005, 08:31 PM
In my opinion it's one of the best extra features that can be added to a game. The first playthrough of any game is always the most fun, however.

BG-57
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Actually the feature I liked the best from CC's New Game+ was the Fast Forward button. It made random battles a breeze.

TheAbominatrix
01-21-2005, 02:55 AM
New Game+ is an awesome feature. I wish they'd include it in more games, I think it'd certainly up the replay value. The reason I dont replay a lot of games is because I dont want to have to regain all those levels again.

Fast Forward was neat too.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-21-2005, 03:20 AM
New Game + is great. I've played Chrono Trigger a million times, but I'm pretty sure only twice without New Game +--once on SNES, and once on PS. I'm glad that more games like FFX-2 and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow are incorporating it these days, too, but really, it should have become not just a popular trend but the norm ten years ago.

And yeah, Fast Forward is great. All games should have it. Heck, all consoles should have a "Fast Forward" switch right there on the controller. When I play on emulators, I'm always using their frame-skip features, so it'd be nice if there were something like that in the mainstream, as well.

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2005, 11:50 AM
When I play on emulators, I'm always using their frame-skip features, so it'd be nice if there were something like that in the mainstream, as well.

Amen to that, I can't stand playing some console games now because there's so much time wasted unless you fast foward. New Game + Is always fun, provided they give you some kind of reward rather than a chance to kick arse in a whole new godly manner. CT had the alternate endings, CC had the hidden battle etc. etc.

Del Murder
01-23-2005, 03:26 AM
I really like when a game has a new game+ feature. When I want to experience a game again, I don't like having to start from scratch every time. I didn't like X-2 not preserving levels in its new game+. Defeats some of the purpose of it.

Sefie1999AD
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
I really like when a game has a new game+ feature. When I want to experience a game again, I don't like having to start from scratch every time. I didn't like X-2 not preserving levels in its new game+. Defeats some of the purpose of it.

Yeah, but having a Dark Knight dressphere on the first mission at Mt. Gagazet was really weird. :p The game was very easy with those abilities from your last game anyway, so I don't think the levels returning to 1 mattered much.

Del Murder
01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
It certainly didn't, but there are a couple guys like Trema and master tonberry that I don't feel like levelling up for all over again.

Ichimonji
01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
I think it should be mandatory for every RPG to have a New Game+ feature. It boosts the replay factor almost 100%.

kikimm
01-27-2005, 04:19 AM
I guess it's all right for games to have it, but honestly, I don't think I'd ever use it---I barely ever replay games. I have once, when I absolutely had to. Maybe it's because I don't play agmes THAT much unless I have buckets of free time, so I don't like making that commitment? Hmph. Although I do think it works ot great in X-2. There, it's kind of required, however.

:D

skystje
02-03-2005, 08:05 PM
It was great to pwn everything in Chrono Trigger, though it is rather umm.. easy the second time around. I havent played FF X-2's yet, only the beginning of it.. was waiting till when I could get back into something again.. hmmm.. *pushes power button on his PS2!*