PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil vs Silent Hill

Dreddz
01-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I just want to know what people think is better. The Resi games or the Silent Hill games. The first 2 Resi games werent that scary ( exept for the bit in 2 were the crows come suddenly through the window!!!! )
Resi 3 was good i guess and CV was quite good. I aint played the others as they werent meant to be good. I really like Silent Hill 1+2 but 3 was a bit weird ans The Room was a bit stupid. Im stuck between these to.

When it comes down to it i guess im more of a Resi guy

What tou lot think

Wuggly Blight
01-20-2005, 08:12 PM
When it was all new and shiney, it was scary for its time, but Silent hill has a better atmosphere will resident evil is more upfront scary.

aeris2001x2
01-21-2005, 08:59 PM
well i love them both. Resident evil is not scary at all, but i love the upfront action and complicated umbrella politics plot...just check out CV and Weskers report(and i swear if Resident Evil 4 ruins the genius story line i will screw :mad2:...it had better make sense...i,e Umbrella is destroyed by the rival corporation that wesker works for and starts fusing the Progenator, T, G, T Veronica and Nemesis Virus together, hence, the different monsters in this new game ).

Silent Hill though is the scariest seris ever, hell, its the scariest anything ever. I,m currently replaying Silent Hill 1 to make sense of the storyline. Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece. still have not done 3 or 4...but i,m getting there.

So i would put Resident evil first...but still both platinum star seris...

Aurey
01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Silent Hill.

Resident Evil has never appealed to me. I'll watch my brothers play it, but I'll never touch it. I don't find it frightening or anything, I just don't find it fun. :/

edczxcvbnm
01-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Resident Evil. I like the game play better. I could care less how scary the game is. If the game play sucks then it doesn't matter and I think Silent Hill has wore itself way too thin. Resident Evil may have ports left and right and remakes but I believe there are only 6 games you can really call resident evil. 0,1,2,3, Code Veronica and 4. 6 games in 9 years is not super over kill. Silent hill has had only 4 but the last 3 came out 1 year after one another with no real gameplay improvements from title to title.

Resident Evil 4 kicks all sorts of ass. The game is completely new and takes care of all the problems people complained about. The same controls are there but the new camera makes it just feel different and right. You now have inventory space instead of slots. Sephex even shot the lock off of a door and kicked it in. It is also more action packed with 'Zombies' that think. It is the game that reinvented the series.

Story so far is compeletly unrelated so far but it should eventually tie in somehow. Here is hoping for a wesker comeback(I always liked the RE story line alot...except 0...that one just made no sense).

kikimm
01-22-2005, 03:32 AM
I couldn't make a really fair judgment, as I have yet to play Resident Evil. I've just bought the first one yesterday,and haven't started it. But I will say that I love the Silent Hill games; they're very unsettling, have good plots...I like `em.

:D

Dreddz
01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
i live in the uk and everyone on these forums say they got Resi 4 has it come out in the uk already if not then when cause im dying to get it

Rainecloud
01-22-2005, 12:04 PM
I prefer the Resident Evil series, and my favourite would be the first game on the PSOne. I'm not quite sure why. I suppose it's nostalgia more than anything else.

Dr.K
01-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I thought the resident evil series provided a better gaming experience in itself, but silent hill was definitely more freaky...in most parts (the first time i encountered those hench green things in RE1...good heavens)

Jack
01-24-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't play these games, cause I don't like PLAYING them. However, watching them is something I enjoy. In my opinion: Silent Hill is damm scary, especially with the Radio and the freaky places. however, Resident Evil on Gamecube was pretty scary. The other Resi's arn't scary, but are less boring to watch. Silent Hill 3 isn't that scary cause I kinda excepted stuff. It was creepy, and distinctly odd.
I think they need to remember that in some circles, odd isn't scary anymore. Resident Evil 4 trailers are scary, so I look forward to watching it when it comes out over here in the UK.

Levian
01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Silent Hill is strongest in story and horror. Resident Evil is strongest in gameplay. I really liked the RE story up until Code Veronica X, meaning that I didn't really like Wesker's comeback, since I don't like it when people milk the cow so much that they revive a dead character. RE 1, 2 and 3 was great though.

It's hard to choose really, if you asked me my favorite game overall, I'd have to say Silent Hill, but if you asked me what game I'd rather replay, I'd have to say Resident Evil. Gameplay > Story, when it comes to replaying.

Giga Guess
01-28-2005, 02:52 AM
I've never gotten into RE, and SH made me afraid of the dark again....'nuff said.

SomethingBig
01-28-2005, 03:20 AM
SH specializes in long-lasting psychological fear, whereas RE provides the in-game fear and the dread feeling that you're always being followed and watched, so I'd say that they're both equal in the scariness area. Gameplay-wise, after playing RE4, I'm definitely giving it to RE. SH gameplay never changed, whereas Capcom changed RE in such a way that they made it a perfect game. My vote goes to RE.

Hawkeye
01-28-2005, 05:07 AM
When i first got the new version of Re1 for gcn, it scared the living hell out of me. Mostly because of the beautiful graphic textures and sound. the ones for the ps1 didnt scare me cuz the graphics sucked. ive played re4, and it scares me because they bastards are smarter now. ive heard SH is a pretty scary game, but ive never actually sitted down and played it, but it looked cool.

btw, anyone know why the spanish folk it re4 are calling me ****er? I swear they are calling me that, cause one of their words they mutter is "caveron"(sp) which literally means "****er" they also mutter "morir escribir" which doesnt make sense to me either. to die to write? whatever. still scaring the living hell outta me!

Nevremon
01-28-2005, 05:48 AM
Personally RE games are getting kind of old 2 me, so Silent Hill would have to get my vote.

Pheesh
01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
SH made me afraid of the dark again....'nuff said.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I've never gotten into RE, and SH made me afraid of the dark again....'nuff said.

switch the 'RE' with the 'SH' and thats were im at...except i play in the dark then scare myself...thing is i kind of like it! Like it intrigues me with playing the whole mind game thing in games..

rcabronx
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
btw, anyone know why the spanish folk it re4 are calling me ****er? I swear they are calling me that, cause one of their words they mutter is "caveron"(sp) which literally means "****er" they also mutter "morir escribir" which doesnt make sense to me either. to die to write? whatever. still scaring the living hell outta me!

Actually, it's 'cabron', and i'm not sure what's behind the stars there, but cabron (in Puerto Rican slang, anyway) mean a pushover weasel kind of man or woman that lets their spouses run around on them. But that's literal. And they're not saying "morir escribir"! :love: They're saying Morir es Vivir. Death is life, or death is to live.... makes more sense IN spanish than english. That's one of the things that scared me most in this game, was that I could understand every single hideous thing they were saying. Biggest freakout moment for me: in the village, i had just killed everyone in front of me, but the music was still pumping like there were still enemies around. All of a sudden, I hear a man's voice growl in spanish: Detras de ti, imbecile. Translation: BEHIND YOU, IMBESIL(sp) I freaked! That was the scariest damn thing in the world in that game, PERIOD! IMO, of course. And of course, the dude smacks me upside the head with an ax right after that... :mad:

Silent Hill tho.... that was creepy more in an "ew" type of way, meaning that yeah, the things were creepy, but the environments were too abnormal to be scary. I also didn't like the general gameplay. Res has this scary ambience sometimes that all you hear is your own footsteps, then all of a sudden music swells, and you have 17 zombies/dogs/hunters/lickers/bandersnatches, etc on top of you. Or, the ultimate Nemesis chasing you @$$. That to me is more exciting than twisted looking nurses IMO.

louby_4eva
02-04-2005, 08:47 PM
The RE series is great, I love it. All of them have scared me, Res evil 3 the most when nemesis chases you. Scary!!

I could never get into SH, I played the first one but didn't complete it, I found it kinda boring.

SomethingBig
02-05-2005, 04:53 AM
btw, anyone know why the spanish folk it re4 are calling me ****er? I swear they are calling me that, cause one of their words they mutter is "caveron"(sp) which literally means "****er"
This is a long shot, but it just may be because you're their number 1 enemy.

Personally RE games are getting kind of old 2 me, so Silent Hill would have to get my vote.
That's why you get RE4, my friend.

Giga Guess
02-05-2005, 05:53 PM
I think the aspect of SH that's the most unsettling is the psychological aspect. A lot of the time, you're not sure if this is real or all in the characters head....think back to "They look like monsters to you....?"

But I DO think I want to try RE4....it looks bloody creepy....

DynasticJam
02-14-2005, 09:26 AM
SILENT HILL IS BETTER! i used to play it on me own in the dark, and beleive me if you havent pleayed it then you should get it...

Giga Guess
02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Amen!

Hawkeye
02-14-2005, 08:01 PM
And they're not saying "morir escribir"! They're saying Morir es Vivir. Death is life, or death is to live.... makes more sense IN spanish than english.
I couldve sworn they said escribir... but yes that makes much more sense. Thanks!

Dreddz
02-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Is Resident Evil 4 any good and will it make an apperance on PS2. Also ive heard that there will be a file 2 for resi outbreak. Will this one be online cause the first outbreak had no online option ( well only in the UK) Im getting back into the resi series. Ive completed resi 1+3 again.

Lucca
02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Silent Hill is way better than RE in terms of freaking you out and practically putting you in a state of schyzofrenia. RE is an action packed slaughterhouse full of boring zombies going "aaaaahhhhhh". Although Nemesis and the dogs are a challenge. But there is no fear in RE! I never got shocked or jumped from my bed when I played it. But SH...even after years it still scares me to death.

Dreddz
02-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Everyone is judging them for there scare factor. I like SH cause of the scary factor but the gameplay and Story as well. The Resi series did have its moments when it would scare me but I didnt think it was really scary. But Nemesis did make me paranoid on were he would turn up which did scare me a bit

DJZen
02-23-2005, 05:10 AM
The two games operate on entirely different levels.

Resident Evil is an action/adventure game wherein you're confined to a small space, and have to fight off increasingly fierce monsters with an every dwindling supply of ammo. That's what drives the fear in RE games. The thought of "what's coming up next? Am I going to survive it?" There's some subtle things they do such as the "heartbeat" while opening doors in Code Veronica. My all time biggest fright was the interrogation room of RE2. I'll say no more.

Silent Hill plays head games with you. Sure, you still have monsters to contend with, but they're a lot less important to kill. But where this game gets to you is on a much more psychological level. Upon entering a room you might hear footsteps, only to see that there's no one else in the room. You might hear a child crying, but be completely alone. You might hear the sound of a window breaking, but when you look around the windows are all shut. To this day the hospital terrifies me more than anything, but the school is almost as bad. Especially the scene where the phone rings...

In terms of straight up fear I give the edge to Silent Hill. In terms of overall gameplay I probably have to give it to RE.

Yuffie514
02-24-2005, 10:45 PM
i don't know, i like 'em both :mad: . RE is kinda like just simple horror and SH just steps out of the line with the pitch-black atmosphere :eek: , bloody walls and deformed monsters :p . RE's situation is more like something that could possibly happen :D , since there has been viruses before :eek: :p . personally, i never really got a good scare from RE :rolleyes2 :) .

?M?y?s?t?e?r?i?o?u?s?
02-24-2005, 11:42 PM
resi vs sile. Theres no Competition cause resi is better and everyone knows it.The only dumb thing i think on resi 4 is that they think, run , throw s..t at you and stab u wich is gay cause zombies should walk not run,How can they think Their brain has been eatn.
silent hill is ok but just isnt scary at all. story ends there.

Peace Out ?M?y?s?t?e?r?i?o?u?s? :Juggalo 4-Life:

Strawberry Gashes
02-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Anyone who says Resident Evil is incorrect. =D

Silent Hill is leaps and bounds ahead of RE. Sure, its gameplay may not be as refined as RE 4, but the game isn't focused on fighting and chases. It's focused on actually SCARING you, without cheap scare tactics. Come on, after the tenth RE zombie, they aren't really scary. But I -still- get chills when Patient Demons pop out of nowhere, or Pendulums swoop down on me after terrifying me with its iconic noise.

I think we can all agree that Silent Hill > Resident Evil in terms of story telling. SH's story telling is so refined and thought provoking that I would have to write hundreds of pages to explain only 1 through 3. The story is just amazing.

'Kay, enough fangirling from me.