PDA

View Full Version : Which RPG has the cheesiest love story?

UltimateSpamGrover
01-21-2005, 05:39 AM
I think the title explains itself, but I'll say it again. Which Role-Playing game as the cheesiest/crappiest/(other offensive word) love story and why?

TheAbominatrix
01-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Final Fantasy VIII.

I know people will argue with me over this, but oh well. I thought it was extremely forced, and between the two most annoying characters of the game. Rinoa is constantly a damsel in distress, not to mention her constant, annoying chatter. The fact that this dumb little romance took precidence over the rest of the potentially interesting party just made me hate it even more.

And, to say it before it starts, I dont care if you dont agree with me about it.

Mindflare
01-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Final Fantasy VIII.

I know people will argue with me over this, but oh well. I thought it was extremely forced, and between the two most annoying characters of the game. Rinoa is constantly a damsel in distress, not to mention her constant, annoying chatter. The fact that this dumb little romance took precidence over the rest of the potentially interesting party just made me hate it even more.

And, to say it before it starts, I dont care if you dont agree with me about it.

I agree completely. You took the words right out of my mouth, in fact.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-21-2005, 05:51 AM
I thought Lufia II had the worst love story. The two main characters fall in love, get married and have a kid in a matter of 2 minutes.

black orb
01-21-2005, 06:11 AM
>>> FF8.

Jowy
01-21-2005, 07:23 AM
And then the ending to Lufia II makes me sob hysterically every single time. >:o

FFVIII's was quite high on the cheese factor.

Doc Sark
01-21-2005, 10:12 AM
FFX. If you wanna talk about annoying chatter. I was hoping Sin would eat Yuna and be done with it after the 100th hour of play.

escobert
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
FFX. If you wanna talk about annoying chatter. I was hoping Sin would eat Yuna and be done with after the 100th jour of play.
agreed

Pheesh
01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
FFVIII....AHHHHHHHHH. Dear lord that was annoying.

Endless
01-21-2005, 01:21 PM
A lot of the FFs, really.

FFVII: Tifa loves Cloud. She presses against him at the very end. What does Cloud say? "Let's go see [Aeris]". Talk about a clueless moron.

FFVIII: reasons stated in posts above.

FFIX: Steiner - Beatrix. O. M. G. The whole love letter thingamajig.

FFX: see above posts.

FFVI: I need to replay that one, but I have memories of Locke not being the sharpest tool in the shed for these matters.

FFT is actually interesting, the relations between the various characters never fall in the cheesy category.

CT: argh xD He's a regular guy, she's the princess. Onoes, we didn't expect that one at all. At least you get a choice later on in the game. I used the puppet, what did you do?

Crazy the Clown
01-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Dragon Warrior.

After playing that game for a while, I saved Princess Gwaelin. She then gave me her love, which took up one item space. How in the hell?! And the way these bozos speak. "Thou art our only hope." "I wish thee well." I felt like saying, "Quit thy being a pain in ye olde ass!"

aeris2001x2
01-21-2005, 08:47 PM
its obviously Firional's half assed flirting with Hilda in ffII...

la monk
01-21-2005, 09:33 PM
id have to say ffx. i just thought ALL the characters were kinda stupid. people say auron is cool but he takes it too far. i did like yuna's two different colored eyes though.

Pure Strife
01-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I used the puppet, what did you do?

Note to self: never play Chrono Trigger.

And yeah, FF8 was annoying. I got the feeling he would have hooked up with Quistis.

lordblazer
01-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Final Fantasy 8.Nuff said.Xenogears has a good love story im not sure if its cheesy though.

fire_of_avalon
01-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Hmph, it would have to be Dart and Shana in LoD. I hate the game, and the love story is so fake. I especiallly hate it when they play that lame ass hero music.

YES. You get a gold star.

Fuzakeru
01-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Hmph, it would have to be Dart and Shana in LoD. I hate the game, and the love story is so fake. I especiallly hate it when they play that lame ass hero music.

Shana = HAET!!!111@@!!111!!!1one -growl-
I disliked their love to the point where I stopped playing the game around the third disc.
8's love story was cheesy as hell, even I'll admit that and I'm a huge 8 fan. I still think Quistis and Seifer would have been good together. :<3:

Endless
01-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Note to self: never play Chrono Trigger.

And yeah, FF8 was annoying. I got the feeling he would have hooked up with Quistis.

Play CT >:o at least you can make choices in the game that lead to different endings, and in my case, I chose to use the puppet. I'd say what it means, but it would spoil a lot, and obviously, you can chose not to and see what happens. :p

kikimm
01-22-2005, 03:46 AM

Uh, yeah. Anything is better than that crap. Those two's interactions was part of the reason I sold my copy of that game. Ugh.

:D

MoonsEcho
01-22-2005, 04:18 AM
I like LoD :(

Anyway, as for the worst love story...yeah, definitely have to say FFVIII. For all the reasons previously listed.

DMKA
01-22-2005, 07:10 AM
FFVIII's was as cheesy as hell.

Bart and Margie in Xenogears, I think was a tad cheesy aswell, not to mention that it's an incestuous romance with a disturbing age gap. I swear it was like Jerry Lee Lewis all over again.

darkchrono
01-22-2005, 11:44 PM
actually Margie is 16 while Bart was 18. Kind of like a senior dating a sophomore. Not really that much of an age gap.

RSL
01-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I'll jump on the FFVIII bandwagon. It seemed forced and that they almost didn't like each other to me. Well, Squall seemed annoyed by Rinoa. Of course, I haven't played that game in ages.

The only reason I really put it at the top is because it was hyped as some amazing love story and it wasn't. Not at all.

TheAbominatrix
01-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, that's a good reason, RSL. There've been some lameo, underdeveloped love stories in a lot of RPGs, but they werent as hyped as the Rinoa/Squall romance. Never thought of it that way, but it makes since.

The Lufia II one I enjoyed, because it wasnt supposed to be huge and overdone. And I cried at the end too.

finalheaven
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
err.. doe ths have to be ff/ yeah i think ff8 was kidna cheesy and annoying..but i thought MSG love story was cheesy..not annoying stoopid cheesy just cheesy..ok..then

Craig
01-23-2005, 12:53 PM
The love story between Quina and Vivi was way too overdone for me.

But seriously I haven't played the game in a while but I remember Grandia II having quite a cheesy love story.

Tanwen Strife
01-23-2005, 05:12 PM
In the final fantasys (or is it fantasies, both look wrong) its a toss up between VIII and X. VIII is so cliche. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy to shy to talk to girl. Acts like pratt. Girl starts to like girl anyway. Girl gets possesed and fired off into space. Boy rescues girl. Other stuff happens. They live happily ever after.
But with X I did sometimes find myself yelling "JUST DO SOMETHING!!!" a lot. They made the love thing obvious, but then do nothing about it except for one cut scene and the ending, the rest of the time nothing!

Flamethrower
01-23-2005, 06:08 PM
If I recall correctly, when FFVIII first came out it was advertised as "the greatest love story ever told". Heh. Talk about misleading.

If there was any one video game couple that was most likely to break up one week after the game ends, it would be Squall and Rinoa.

Craig
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Rinoa: Yipee Squall! We saved the world, lets go have fun instead of killing stuff!

Squall: Whatever.

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, I guess I stand alone, but I thought the love story in Final Fantasy VIII was beautiful and powerful. Squall saved Rinoa from the vacuum of space without regard to his own life, even I wanted in Squall's pants after that.

I full-on cried in that game twice from being emotionally touched so I can't say the love story was cheesy, to me it worked just fine. Final Fantasy VIII actually remains probably the most personally effective game in the series.

As for the cheesiest love story in a game, well, I'd have to say Tetris.

DMKA
01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
actually Margie is 16 while Bart was 18. Kind of like a senior dating a sophomore. Not really that much of an age gap.
Oh...my bad. For some reason I thought she was 13. Scratch the agegap thing then. xD

Lord Chainsaw
01-24-2005, 12:38 AM
I've got to agree with the LoD love story being bad. I thought the game was fantastic but this bad love story really brought it down a few notches. It's still a great game, but it had so much more potential had they not quarter-assed the love story.

Another bad love story is probably Will and Kara from Illusion of Gaia. Will's a mute and Kara's a spoiled brat the entire game, but at the end they're suddenly together? Did I miss something?

TheAbominatrix
01-24-2005, 02:19 AM
Ugh, I totally agree about Will and Kara. Kara was my most hated character, and I had to deal with her the longest. Jeez, they at least could have hooked him up with Lily. Though I did like the romance between Lily and that other guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Angelz*and*Emoz
01-24-2005, 03:43 AM
final fantasy 8s love story was realy crapy :mad:

Luc
01-24-2005, 03:58 AM
FF8, for sure. Most FF love stories sucked, actually. =/

RedCydranth
01-24-2005, 04:17 AM
hmmm, worst love story in any RPG? Does Azure Dreams count? The fact the main character has to court 8 girls creeps me out. Especially when he goes after the sick dying young girl, the nerdy library chick and the sexy 'old enough to be his mother' dancer all at the same time. Baaaaaad love stories in that game. But for some reason I liked that game's concept.

I agree FF8's love story overshadowed more important factors, but that is what FF8 is about. I was supposed to be more of a love story than a save the world game, it just so happens Squall does both.

amratis
02-07-2005, 08:23 PM
If I recall correctly, when FFVIII first came out it was advertised as "the greatest love story ever told". Heh. Talk about misleading.

If there was any one video game couple that was most likely to break up one week after the game ends, it would be Squall and Rinoa.

I know no-one's posted on this thread for ages, but I just gotta say, LOL. and probably true. -And I'm a S/R fan, how does that make sense? :confused:

Raistlin
02-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Well, I have to say that Lunar SSSC had the best love story of any RPG. Ever.

As for worst...FF8 was pretty damn bad, I have to admit.

Imperia
02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Final Fantasy VIII.

I thought it was extremely forced too. The entire story focused on Squall and Rinoa alone (plus saving Rinoa's pathetic butt constantly). It was annoying.

I remember Will and Kara from Illusion of Gaia. Kara was bratty. She whined a lot...

ApocalypticLeon
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
FFVIII. Don't get me wrong, i's my favorite gae of all, but Squall and Rinoa don't seem to mix well. I hated how she open him up! I liked him with the "Whatever, I don't care!" badass aditude. But, thats just me.

nik0tine
02-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree one hundred percent with Necro on this one (except for the crying part. I didn't cry, honest!) The exact same thing went through my head about the whole space thing. I thought that was really something, and it was. I also did not dislike Squall or Rinoa. I don't understand why everyone hates them.

turnitup5000db
02-13-2005, 09:39 PM
ffvii was pretty shiddy in the love story department, I thought. Theoretical conversation between cloud and tifa:

Tifa: Cloud, I'm going to make this as plain as I can : I want your body. Now get your ass over here.
Cloud: Tifa, theres no time for that, we have to find Aeris.
Tifa: Sephiroth killed her, you retard. Now take your clothes off.
Cloud: What? Nooooooo!!! I don't remember that!!! DAMN YOU SEPHIROTH!!! I'LL KILL YOU!!!
Tifa: You already did that, you clod. Now get your ass over here and take me, you wild man beast.
Cloud: ...
Tifa: ...
Tifa: ... I'll give you some pocky.
Cloud: ... Ok. Aeris wouldn't want me to miss out on pocky.

Yeah... Neurotic guys and women who are horny for them don't make a good mix.

crashNUMBERS
02-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Dragon Warrior.

After playing that game for a while, I saved Princess Gwaelin. She then gave me her love, which took up one item space. How in the hell?! And the way these bozos speak. "Thou art our only hope." "I wish thee well." I felt like saying, "Quit thy being a pain in ye olde ass!"

lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2005, 01:48 AM
ffvii was pretty shiddy in the love story department, I thought. Theoretical conversation between cloud and tifa:

Tifa: Cloud, I'm going to make this as plain as I can : I want your body. Now get your ass over here.
Cloud: Tifa, theres no time for that, we have to find Aeris.
Tifa: Sephiroth killed her, you retard. Now take your clothes off.
Cloud: What? Nooooooo!!! I don't remember that!!! DAMN YOU SEPHIROTH!!! I'LL KILL YOU!!!
Tifa: You already did that, you clod. Now get your ass over here and take me, you wild man beast.
Tifa: ...
Tifa: ... I'll give you some pocky.
Cloud: ... Ok. Aeris wouldn't want me to miss out on pocky.

Yeah... Neurotic guys and women who are horny for them don't make a good mix.

xD Yeah, Tifa liked him, but she was very very shy. If anyone would be bold enough to say it outright, I think Aerith would be that person (and before every Aerith fan with a half-mile radius freaks out, no Im not saying she's a whore. She is, however, far more forward than Tifa).

VII's love story was fine for me, because it wasnt the focus. The whole game didnt revolve around love, in fact it doesnt come in too terribly often. But I can understand why it's not everyone's favorite.

The only thing that truly bothered me was the lack of concrete love interest, because now we have 75,000 people and websites fighting with eachother about who Cloud loves.

Yamaneko
02-14-2005, 02:54 AM
All RPG "love stories" are terrible.

DynasticJam
02-14-2005, 09:15 AM
ffv so cheesey

Pheesh
02-14-2005, 01:53 PM
All RPG "love stories" are terrible.

i loved the KH love story, it was more of a strong crush than a love story.

Destai
02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
FFVIII was occasionally touching but vicious;y corny. Best example coming to mind, He ignores her for the first two discs and has to control him self to not give her the finger. Then she collapses. "But I love you!!"

Jesus :rolleyes2 .

Neurotic
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, I guess I stand alone, but I thought the love story in Final Fantasy VIII was beautiful and powerful. Squall saved Rinoa from the vacuum of space without regard to his own life, even I wanted in Squall's pants after that.

I full-on cried in that game twice from being emotionally touched so I can't say the love story was cheesy, to me it worked just fine. Final Fantasy VIII actually remains probably the most personally effective game in the series.

Dittoness. I'm a frickin' softie -- I did a lot of crying in VIII. (...I mean.)

Anyway, LoD, hands down. I hate Shana. I hate Dart. I hate that game.

BURN IT!

DocFrance
02-15-2005, 05:08 PM
With the exception of Xenogears, I have to agree with Yams. All RPG love stories are terrible.

Rainecloud
02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Final Fantasy X. Thank goodness you can skip the dialogue.

Apollo
02-15-2005, 08:42 PM
ffv so cheesey
I don't remember their being a love story in FFV.

Raistlin
02-15-2005, 09:41 PM
With the exception of Xenogears, I have to agree with Yams. All RPG love stories are terrible.
Lunar SSSC had a good love story. Well, love stories, actually.

Wiegrahf42
02-22-2005, 03:59 AM
FFVIII's was pretty bad but not the worst. FFX's was ascnine as well since I hate Tidus AND Yuna. FFIV's may take the prize with Rosa being even MORE useless and whiny then Rinoa (if that is possible) and constantly either stalking or throwing herself at Cecil.

TheAbominatrix
02-22-2005, 04:05 AM
When you have only one white mage, she cant be useless. Plus, you have to save RInoa five times at least and Rosa only twice xP

Dreddz
02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
FFVIII When there in that spaceship oh god

Rye
02-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Rinoa was kinda annoying, but I liked FFVIII's love story. FFX had the cheesiest one. FFIX had the best love story of all of those, hands down.

Dreddz
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I liked FFIX love story. Wasnt to cheesy but I thought Zidane and Garnet were a good couple. Would want to see what happened after. Zidane a King????

Imperia
02-23-2005, 02:46 AM
FFIV's may take the prize with Rosa being even MORE useless and whiny then Rinoa (if that is possible) and constantly either stalking or throwing herself at Cecil.

I never recalled Rosa ever being whiny. She NEVER whined. Rinoa's the whiny one. Plus, Rosa IS very useful. Without her, the other characters would all be dead.

DJZen
02-23-2005, 04:53 AM
Rinoa: Help me blow stuff up

Squall: Whatever

Rinoa: Let's run around and have fun!

Squall: Whatever

Rinoa: Let me help you blow stuff up!

Squall: \/\/

Rinoa: ACK! *dies*

Squall: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME NOW!!!!! I LOOOOOOVE YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

I mean yes, FFVIII.

crashNUMBERS
02-23-2005, 04:55 AM
Agreed :lol:

Edea
02-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Granndia II
between Ryudo and Elena ,it's no an obvious love story at first, in fact they hate each other, it develops at the end.

Yuffie514
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
love or not, i hated Yuna's wedding to Seymour :mad: :p , but she was a pretty bride :) . who'd marry Seymour :rolleyes2 ?

Ichimonji
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Legend Of Dragoon. It really doesn't get much more cheesy and clichéd than that.