PDA

View Full Version : FF VIII....not the Best FF

Cloud57
01-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Okay.........FF VIII

Wasn't it kinda bad?
The graphics were cool, but the story wasn't too good.
You people agree, right??? :tongue: :cool: ;) :) :D

redxiiii
01-22-2005, 10:28 AM
ff8 is my least fave ff but it did have some good features as you said the graphics and the fmvs are breathtaking but i thought the junction system was a BIG no no

ShivaBlizzard8
01-22-2005, 05:45 PM
I like all the FFs for their own reasons - honestly I think its difficult to compare them. Some have better stories, other have better characters, others have better battle systems, some great music, and others great graphics.

As for FF8 however, I feel that one:
1. It had amazing music and graphics
2. It had wonderful characters, the story just didn't develop them as well as it could have.
3. The story has the potential to be execellent, with some tweaking - the first disc rocked! As it unfolded it just got too caught up in "surprising" us to be effective . . . Ulty should have been introduced way earlier, etc.
4. Battling got boring. That kind of sucked, but the fact that monsters leveled up with you made it challenging. No more of this "train forever, then steamroll the final boss in one hit" strategies.

Regardless, FF8 is not my #1 favorite FF, sure - but it will always hold a special signifigance since it was the first FF I completed, and I love the characters.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 06:15 PM
the junction system was easy to use, ff8 was a great game for its own reasons

1. Battle system
2. Limit breaks (not the system)
3. Characters
4. weapon system
5. Gfs they were all good
6. the Ragnarok (it put highwind to shame)
7. the music (definatly the best of the whole series)
8. the age it was created towards i noticed that 9 and 10 where a bit babyish with the censors and some words cleaned up and the characters became dorks eg zidane

Sepho
01-22-2005, 08:45 PM
It's not my favorite (that spot is reserved for FF6, which I believe should be played and completed before anyone can call themselves a fan), but I like it better than FF7 - not by much, but I still believe it's superior. And I cannot comprehend some of the arguments made by the "FF7 roxors, FF8 is teh worst" camp. I appreciate both games (as I do all of the games in the series), and I played FF7 first, so I deny any accusations of having a bias.

Complaint 1: Story
While the story of FF8 is not perfect, FF7's is hardly a masterpiece, either. The most commonly critisized plot theme in FF8 is the "wow, we totally knew each other when were we kids, but we forgot!" point. I understand, but at least there's a somewhat in-depth explanation as to why they forgot and how they all came together, given the slight undertones relating to destiny and all that hoo-haw. It at least makes more sense then the convoluted mess that is the story of FF7 (especially towards the end).

It's somewhat understandable, though, considering that FF7's plot is almost entirely recycled from the story of FF6. That just goes to show a lack of creativity on Square's part, I suppose. FF7's plot starts off interesting, but all of the twists eventually tie themselves into one big knot that hardly makes any amount of sense. Yes, yes, I know all of the explanations regarding to Cloud/Zach and whether Sephiroth is Sephiroth and who's whose daddy, and blah, blah, blah. But it's still laughable when you put it down on paper.

Complaint 2: The Ability system
I guess I really can't defend the Junction system beyond asking the question, "What the heck is so confusing about it?". Honestly, it's more difficult to use then FF7's materia system, but that's not saying a lot when you consider how simple the materia system is, and how lacking it is in depth. Both systems are fun to utilize, but the Junction system is not a terribly difficult concept to grasp. Sit through the tutorial; you shouldn't have to endure more than five minutes if you're a slow reader. Even if you're incredibly impatient, I think it would only make sense to "waste" five minutes, and know what's going on for the next fifty hours of the game, as opposed to wondering what the heck you're doing. But like I said before, any effort to defend the Junction system (or any ability system, for that matter) is in vain, because people will like what they like, and dislike what they dislike. I can accept that, though. I just wonder how many have a good understanding of the system and dislike it, rather than write it off as "omg this is stupid" because they don't bother spending a few minutes to learn how to use it.

Those are the two biggest complaints. I might have written more if I didn't feel like I'm wasting my time.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 08:58 PM
ive played 6 and finished it with ease its a brilliant game but i like 8 alot better

Necronopticous
01-22-2005, 09:20 PM
VIII was the most emotionally effective game I have ever played, probably my favorite game in the series.

Destai
01-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Once you fully understand how to use the junction system it can be pretty "nifty". I thought the storyline was absaloutely brilliant until disc 3 started. It was like they realised there was no time for a decent ending sdo just threw a bunchof crap together with time travel and a practically non existent bad guy. Wasted potential... The characters were really brilliant though.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 10:06 PM
the start of disc 3 was a dissapointment quite pointless bu after you found the ragnarok it was restored, well it told you how the time compression happened and untill ultimecia was killed then it would stay like that after she was killed it returned to normal but squall was transported into the past where he gave edea the ideas of garden and SeeD after that he lost his way through time and eventually lost hope and almost his life before rinoa came and rescued him her powers mixed with her emotions triggered the break of the compression and squall and rinoa weere on the field behind edea's house where squall made his promise "if you come here you'll find me, i'll be waiting"
thats basically disc 4 for ya

Necronopticous
01-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Once you fully understand how to use the junction system it can be pretty "nifty". I thought the storyline was absaloutely brilliant until disc 3 started. It was like they realised there was no time for a decent ending sdo just threw a bunchof crap together with time travel and a practically non existent bad guy. Wasted potential... The characters were really brilliant though.You just didn't understand the ending, plain and simple.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 10:23 PM
i 2nd that. if you payed attention to the last parts of disc 3 and disc 4 youd see they where the climax of the story

SeeDRankLou
01-22-2005, 10:38 PM
This is my favorite in the series, not to mention my favorite game.

Destai
01-22-2005, 10:51 PM
No Ive passed the game a good few times. Im pretty sure I get what happened. I just thought it was really stupid like most plots based on time travel. point out to me if Im wrong here,

The party entered the future and headed for Ultimecia, They defeated her and as she dies she unleashed time compression. Most of the party managed to escape it but Squall was caught in it. He saw Ultimecia pass on her powers to Edea and left that time. He was then lost in time compression, Felt its full effects and fell unconcious. Rinoa wandered to the place he promised to meet her and found him lieing unconcious there. For a second it looked like he was dead but luckily he was alive The end. The only real connection to the main plot discovered in disc 3 and on from the first two discs was Edea being possesed. It was like two different stories. What didnt make sense about time compression is as soon as it begun time would have ended in theory. They wouldnt have been able to form a plan to fight Ultimecia because that time never existed. The fact that they were standing there in UN compressed time should have been proof enough that Ultimecia didnt suceed in compressing time. Once time has been compressed time has ended and nothing that can feel pain or can ever die should be able to live in it. The whole idea of time compression I didnt like at all. thats why I thought it sucked. It doesnt mean I didn understand the story.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 11:07 PM
actually Ultimecia was from the far far future time compression was unleashed after ellone sent rinoa and ultimecia to the past then returned rinoa then time compressed, they made they're way to ultimecia killed the bitch and went through the time compression. Squall got seperated from everyone and went into the past told matron/edea bout seed And garden then she recieved ultimecia's powers squall went back through time compression and became lost he couldnt hear his friends so he lost hope he almost died rinoa saved him and destroyed the compression.
Ultimecia's last power was to send herself and anyone caught into the time compression and blah blah blah

Destai
01-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Thats pretty much what I said but that didnt make snese either. Time compression was when all the background went squiggly right? So then why didnt it hapen when they were in Ultimecias castle? And if time had been compressed then it would have been one minute theyre entering deling city-FLASH-The parties infront of Ultimecia fighting her. It didnt make sense. No one really understands how time works, Its just a continuing cycle. Pretty stupid to make a plot out of it. And why would Squall meeting Rinoa destroy time compression? And please dont say the power of love. And Time compression only happened to Squall after they defeated Ultimecia so why would that stop time compression?

Shoden
01-22-2005, 11:42 PM
no thats not it as the present and future have been intertwined nothing makes sense in the compression. you see ultimecia was on the other side of the compression

Drinkinlinkin
01-23-2005, 12:18 AM
The only thing I really disliked from Final Fantasy VIII was the end because it went small screened I know most of it was being shown through a video camera that Irvine was holding but still just made me a bit mad. Everything else about the game is great but I'm not going to start arguing why.

finalheaven
01-23-2005, 12:22 AM
erm..whater..honestly i should think you shoud think about the way you write ur threads before you actaully start them. i dont think its the worst game ever..its not my favourite ff8 is one of hte ffs whicch has very mixed iopinions about.ff7 has always been my fav and as 8 is more of a love stroy ,it may or may not appeal to people. i donmt hink its the WORST if u thank thats bad what about another particular*coughnine*.8 is good but not the best..^_^

Shoden
01-23-2005, 12:28 AM
(yeah ff9 was an embaressment to all Final Fantasy, 8 was a longer game and had a simpler story which is why i liked it better than 7)

ShivaBlizzard8
01-23-2005, 01:42 AM
I like FF9. Vivi's one of the best FF characters ever.

Now Mystic Quest - that wins worst FF award.

DJZen
01-23-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm the most incongruous fan of FFVIII you'll ever find. Why?

Plot: The plot, when translated well enough to make sense, is perfectly fine, right up until Rinoa gets all vegitative. Then it just stops making any sense whatsoever. When Squall first meets Rinoa, he's all "Whatever, I don't care about you, just shutup and leave me alone you stupid b" but when she goes comatose he's all "OMG I NEED YOU!!!! DON'T LEAVE ME!!!!!!" It's not just juvenile, it just doesn't make sense. I mean, sure, you could argue that Squall was hiding his true feelings all along, but there's no indication of this. He just ignores her then suddenly when her life's in danger he becomes inexplicably attached. Also, that whole compressed time thing..... WHAT?

Graphics: Sure, they're nice, whatever...

Music: Eyes On Me is a piece of fluff, and I can't remember any other songs from the game off hand. I guess the soundtrack was just that impressive.

Gameplay: Junction system pwnz j00. Using it you can make yourself nigh invincible against most bosses and exploit weaknesses liek WHOT!!!!!!1111 My only complaint is that summoning GFs is a necessary evil and you'll totally destroy your thumb from Boosting (which I'm convinced is a form of steroids for GFs). The refining system is also really interesting, but many of the uses of it involve ultra rare items. I'm not huge on that sorta 10 hour long mini quest type of deal, but other aspects of the game really make up for it.

rubah
01-23-2005, 04:04 AM
I wouldn't say ff9 was an embarassment. Not anymore than I'd say X-2 was. And I wouldn't say it was. It may have been really boring at times, but not embarassing.
Anyways.

I liked ff8 a lot.

I guess part of it is the 'Hmm, I bet these are the two in the picture, omp! I can't wait for them to get together!:DDDD' girly part of me.

A second part of it is disc three. I love disc three.

Heh, it's sort of embarassing, but the entire space scene, I had my fingers crossed seven times just saying 'c'mon hot hot astronaut lovin', c'mon!' I was a bit disappointed, but not much.

Then squall gets to be a big idiot, and be the one going 'omg, why didn't I think of that!11one'

and then dangit, you get the ragnarok. Flying that thing for the first time was better than any astronaut loving. (and this was at a time when I just got back from space camp, so I had a bit of a mind set readjustment. (incidentally that was something we had pondered there-- "doing it" in space, so it was one of those cool coincidences that seem to happen too often)</geekery>)

and man, when I found out that the right analog stick moves the stupid thing forwards and backwards, it just go backwards. I swear, the first time I got ragna, I just spent about five minutes flying it back and forth, just FLYING.

and I guess a third part would be the characters [especially] Squall and Rinoa themselves. I mean, you're practically inside squall's mind the entire time, which seems a lot more rpgy than the others have been (except imagine that, ffx. although the effect is ruined a bit by the masculine voice acting^^) although I suppose some people prefer to imagine what people are thinking, and would rather think something else than what their rpcharacter is.

And as for Rinoa, I think the best word to describe this would be "Foil"

The predominant example would be sixth grade basketball. I have no idea why I signed up for it that year, but I was told constantly I needed to be more aggressive. I tend to have an issue with that, preferring to use subtleties or not doing anything at all rather than being upfront, brusque, and well, aggressive about stuff. And Rinoa is hardly meek. Speaks her mind, takes initiative, and is very obvious about being scared. A foil indeed.

And she's got a really really cool character design:D

and instead of making this post longer, let it suffice to say that this game really seemed like it was made for me. So many of the things that I've liked, was interested in, or was connected to somehow since like, forever: military school, tall dark and handsome guys, flying, magic[inaffgamewhereitmakessenseforacoupleofpeopletohaveit], space, mythologies, a main character with highlights like my sister used to have, a really retro 90's feeling throughout (like, early ninties. almost 80s), a selfcontained card game, ability to control statistics, not a ton of weapons, just enough to be useful to get a new one. (the sheer number of weapons in ffx is scary. and so many of them are useless), two people falling in love, and most importantly, it arriving before ff7, along with ff9, and my choosing to open it first, because logic told me it would be in the middle between 7, which was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, and 9 which should have the best graphics since before they had a ps2. And people seemed to be very divided on it, whether it was awesome or whether it sucked, so why not take it and find out once and for all which it really was?

Obviously it is about halfway between 7 and 9 graphics wise. I'm not really sure if it's in between 7 and 9 in terms of likeability, but dangit. . .
Obviously my opinion is that it was awesome.

(oh, and angelo search is like the funnest thing ever:D If you get tired, you can just quit and let the thing do it itself^_^ and you can always catch up again in count^_^)
</long excessive post>

Cloud57
01-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey i NEVER said that FFVIII was the worst game ever. I just said it wasn't the best. OKay??? And i think that my thread was pretty good this time. Alot of ppl wrote replies:)

Goblin
01-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Ok First of all, I'm just gonna state that my favorite is FFVIII. And if you're interested, you can read my reasons. ^_^

Music
I like ALL Final Fantasy music. :)

Characters
I realise that there wasn't much character growth aside from Squall. But he grew a LOT. He went from cold and unemotional to crying and smiling. And just because they didn't grow doesn't mean they weren't cool.
And, I suppose, we can get into character design. Selphie, though a little annoying at times, was adorable! And Squalls outfit is just too cool. Quistis, I thought, had the most class. Rinoa's outfit......I liked the jacket, but she could use a different skirt or whatever it is. The boots were good, but other than that she could have used a different out fit. Seifers outfit was cool, I don't like corderoy though....and I really really liked Fujins. :love: lol

The fighting system!
uh....the fighting system was...OK. I liked the materia system in FFVII better. Reasoning. I liked the total and complete control you had with materia. The different combinations you could make, and the awsome effects they produced. That is, if you can get the right materia. ^^;

Story

The aspects I liked
I really liked the whole military academy thing. Uniforms galore! XD lol And the fact that it centered around the love aspect. Love stories are one of my favorites. ^^; I also liked how soceress passed there powers from one to another. And how sorceress came to be in the first place. I also liked how they were all orphans. That definitely set up Squall's and Seifer's personalities.

The aspects I didn't like
The fact that the GFs fed off memories. I don't like that excuse for why they forgot each other. I think that it would have been better if they just forgot and slowly remembered. I mean, they were five when they all got seperated. I know that when my family moved, when I was six going seven, I don't remember much since then. So, why should they?

The aspects I'm not sure of
The whole thing with time. I thought Ellone's powers were cool. But I don't know about compressing time. I understand what Destai is saying that time wouldn't exist if you compressed it and that since time wouldn't exist then everythign else would dissapeer as well. But if Ellone dissapeers, which she's making time do what it normally wouldn't, then wouldn't time compression stop? and every thing go back to normal? ....-_-" Sorry for how long the post is. ^^;

black shadow
01-23-2005, 05:47 AM
ive played 2 final fantasies (7&8), and i say 8 was a good game. The graphics during the fmv's were one of the best on the ps1 ever! on a t.v. show i saw they said ff8 somehow got more attention than usual from non-rpg players than regular hard-core role players.
My only problem with it was that it would have been cool to play through a few more missions (the landing at dollet in the com. tower mission was awsome!) before you have a military force on your but for trying to take out a president. Oh yeah, spending an hour summoning magic to junction and build stats when you cant even use the magic without the junctioned stats going down was pretty stupid. Like someone else said, it was a very emotionally involving game.

finalheaven
01-23-2005, 11:52 AM
lol..it seems that some people liek ff8 coz they can relate to it which is good..but is that ALL it is??yeah it was slightly...slightly emotional..and i like the ellone part ..the story was good but just spun odff randomly at some point which IMO made it slightly weak..when i replayed it again..i relaised that ellone visited squall in the beginning when hes in hte room with Dr Kadowskiikik thingy and i totally forgot about that,,..o_O and it was just sooooooo randmy how they were all linked to eachother when they were younger and they didnt remember( yeah i know it was coz of the GFs)tyeah i agrree that it would have ben better if there were more mini games/missions ..i couldnt be bothered to do the chocobo thing it wa annoying ..but the music for that was cooll. i just felt that i had to keep on finding rinoa every half an hour.
the character of squall was depicted good in the game as you got to know him more in an emotional element kinda thing..his feelings and stuff..and the love story coo ^_^

Destai
01-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Let me see.

Graphics- On the PS they were award winning but when played on the PC they look pretty desperate. FMV's are ofcourse Squares speciality and VIII was ground breaking.

Music- All the tracks were brilliant but I thought they were all pretty similar in many ways. How should I put this... If you were listening to the randomly, you'd now they were from the same game. IX was the same with medieval theme. You couldnt say that about VII

Story- Repeating myeself. The whole Mercanary accademy was a fantastic idea. Really original. And the whole of disc 1&2 went into that. I loved it. Then disc 3 totally dumped that with a stupid plot about time travel which didnt make sense.

VII was the first FF I played and it was brilliant and I played them all as they became available on the PS1&2. My favorite is VII but VIII is a close runner up. IX wasnt that bad but The medieval theme was boring and the characters werent that interesting. It was still great though.

FFVIII Fan
01-23-2005, 04:51 PM
ffviii is by far the best final fantasy and game for that matter. So much emotion, a dark touch touch to the game. they will never make a game like this again to have captavated my mind in the way it did, or a ff game on that note.

Destai
01-23-2005, 04:52 PM
hardly.

Shoden
01-23-2005, 09:21 PM
i like 8 better because it isnt as complexed and it maybe a longer game but its story is easy to understand as it evolves and can be understood 1st timethrough unlike 7. 9 was just too easy no challenge what so ever and Kuja seemed gay and a transvestite

bEoWuLfX
01-23-2005, 11:01 PM
The only thing I really liked about this game was the abusive junction system(easily manipulated) and sometimes the characters and the FMv's.

The game kinda sucks everywhere else. Drawing magic was lame, GF;s were alright, but pointless, the story was just ridiculous and prabably the worst story ever, worst then FF1 because atleast ff1 didn't have some crazy loop holes. The only redeeming thing about the story was the ending.

My favorite is still FF5 go Galuf.

FFVIII Fan
01-24-2005, 12:20 AM
that was just my view mate! hehe

Destai
01-24-2005, 09:38 AM
(responding to Shonen)What didnt you understand about FFVII's storyline. It was fantastic. And the battles were better too. VIII's battle system was slow and sloppy even on max speed.

SilverPhoenix42
01-30-2005, 11:06 PM
I found this to be one of the most complicated, yes understandable and interesting storylines ever. The whole thing that Rinoa could have been Laguna's daughter really caught me off-guard.

Goblin
01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
I found this to be one of the most complicated, yes understandable and interesting storylines ever. The whole thing that Rinoa could have been Laguna's daughter really caught me off-guard.

What makes you think that Laguna could be Rinoa's father?

Drinkinlinkin
01-30-2005, 11:24 PM
My reply is full o spoilers jus to warn ya

The reason Rinoa could've been Laguna's daughter is because Julia and Laguna whoulda gotten together and had a kid. But since Laguna was sent to war and ended up in Winhill Julia ended up going with General Caraway instead and Rinoa was born. Glad that she isnt though because the games major relationship whoulda been incest and thats just yucky

Yuffie514
01-31-2005, 05:53 AM
i like FF8 slighty more than FF7 :) . it had a complete story :D .

seiyuimore
01-31-2005, 05:58 AM
i like FF8 slighty more than FF7 :) . it had a complete story :D .

COmplete story, cute characters and cool gfs.

Goblin
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
My reply is full o spoilers jus to warn ya

The reason Rinoa could've been Laguna's daughter is because Julia and Laguna whoulda gotten together and had a kid. But since Laguna was sent to war and ended up in Winhill Julia ended up going with General Caraway instead and Rinoa was born. Glad that she isnt though because the games major relationship whoulda been incest and thats just yucky

Ah I see. ok I missunderstood her post. lol

Yuffie514
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
it's rare for ppl to dislike FF8 :rolleyes2. it has the best battling system according to me :up: , like how your GFs can take dmg in your place and boosting :up: . junctioning is cool too. players can get 9,999 HP quicker by equipping 100 Ultimas than with an HP+ materia ;) . and that's not even the best thing...getting 9,999 HP b-4 reaching lv. #100 is great :cool: :up: . and like someone said earlier, FF8 has a good storyline :cool: . i've beaten it more than any FF i have ;) . in this case, 8 is not a bad number :D .

Wuggly Blight
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
If I ever here people say "I dont like FFVII, FFVIII or FFIX because the graphics are bad" ever again I will hit someone! I leave this message for refrence so that annoying issue may never be said again...

FFVII is 8 years old.
FFVIII is near enough 7, they are not new are they, so the graphics will be old too. What are you expecting, FFX? let this annoying pop-up NEVER be said again.

Ultima Shadow
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
9 was just too easy no challenge
Well... FF8 is actually even easier... but whatever.
FF8 have great gameplay and great replay value + it's overrall a very enjoyable game. Therefore it's great.

amratis
01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Well I've just finished VIII for the first time, and by *just*, I mean about 3 hours ago, and generally I think its a fairly easy FF. Ultamecia was easy to beat and her castle was easy too if you did the prep work.

Don't know about 7 however as I'm playing that too right now, disc one has been fairly easy but still enjoyably challenging.

amra

Sepho
01-31-2005, 10:53 PM
None of the PS1 Final Fantasies are very difficult. I want to say that IX is the hardest of the three, but that would imply that it's even remotely challenging.

udsuna
02-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Considering that all the FF7&8 characters are just bizzare DBZ-fusion hybrids of the FF6 characters? And there were a LOT of them... the one thing I didn't like about 6... 7&8 were good to reduce the numbers down to something more manageable. But 8 needed more character developement. Take the FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Legend of Dragoon, and you have all you'll ever need for any RPG, EVER.
Really.... you don't even have to try and figure that out... I'll even break it down nice and neat. But I'm lazy, you figure out the FF7 chars on your own, this is a FF8 forum, and, again, I'm lazy. And that's NOT including Wedge, Biggs, and Cid- they just like popping up everywhere reguardless.

Squall: Mix Shadow in with a little Locke and a touch of Sabin.
Rinoa: Terra, and not even cleverly disquised. With Shadow's dog.
Quistis: Celeste, pure and simple.
Irvine: Setzer and Edgar
Selphie: Relm, mostly... a little Gau... and some stereotypical ditz.
Zell: A little Edgar, a lot Sabin

Destination0
02-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I am quite surprised to see so many ppl like FF8...
and I am no different...
FFVIII is my favourite game. no second thoughts....

things which makes this game special...
- It had one of the best opening ever...
and Disc 1 rocks!!!(I've played just disc 1 more then all other games combine)
card game was one of the most rewarding and one of the best side quest...
- whole SeeD system was cool...
like u cannot just good off because u r getting paid...
that certainly add some realism to the game...
- music as always was top notch...
- graphics and fmv's where mind blowing...
- junction system was superb...
- and the fact that monsters level up with u adds challenge to it...
like u cant kill ruby dragon even if ur on level 100 cause dragon would also be at 100 level...
- GF where awesome...
and they have their own side effect was cool...
more over in battel they have their own hp too...
so using that to ur advantage u can create few strategies too...
- limit breaks was a job well done...
and it made sense too that when u r about to get KO'd u try ur best to survive and out of despration u can unleash ur limit break...much better then standing there and taking hitts from enemi to fill up ur limit bar for up coming boss fight...
- I dont know y ppl complain a lot about characters...
they had their own personality...
they all are teens and they act accordingly and as a teen u do expect them to be bit hyper...
nothing wrong with that...
psychologically FF8 had very good characters for a game...
squall: a quiet fellow, likes to think a lot and has hard time expressing his feeling, a lone wolf
rinoa: speaks her mind, takes initiative,
quistis: responsible and mature
irvine: lot like zidane, girl chaser, likes to talk big, etc.
selphie: very light hearted and lively personality
zell: very hyper and a hulk
and those supporting characters are very good too...
seifer, laguna, cid, etc...
basically they have tried cover all type of real life teens and not just a fictional character...
its easier to attach to a character...
- and story is magnificent too...
maybe u dont realise how well developed and balanced story and characters r until u read game script by itself (like me)...
- again I cant understand why r ppl complaining about draw thingy...
its not like u have to draw in every battle...
u have to be more efficient with it...
take 2 good magicians and let draw like 15 spells at once...
if u take zell and draw naturally u gonna draw like 2 spells...
so use ur characters wisely..
or u could use second method (like me)
if u still dont like to draw then square even gives u option...
play few card game and refine...

few things which could have been better
- should have more SeeD missions...
- more side quests
- more use of squares trade mark chocobo
- more details about characters past
- time compression thingy
- after becoming leader of the garden, a mini game for managing the garden would have been super cool :D

over all it was a great game...
again someone may love it someone may hate it...
no game is perfect it really depends if it suits to the person playing the game...
it suits my style so i love it...
FF8 all the way!!!

Polaris
02-09-2005, 09:32 AM
You people agree, right??? :tongue: :cool: ;) :) :D

No, the story was really good and so was the graphics the only thing that missed was a dead person... someone had to die to be more dramatic (I don't know what u're thinking but no way Quistis no!)

Destination0
02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
No, the story was really good and so was the graphics the only thing that missed was a dead person... someone had to die to be more dramatic (I don't know what u're thinking but no way Quistis no!)

lol...ya lets kill somebody...
how about selphie sacrificing herself to save other 2 party members...
or Irvine sacrificing himself to save other escape from D Prision...
or zell freeing balamb...
or squall in time vortex...
funny idea though... :D

Polaris
02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
They were all happy at the end... yeah u're right lets' kill verybody!! :lol: I'm joking... no one understands me!!!

amratis
02-09-2005, 01:34 PM
I love the ending scene, its the best out of any I've seen IMHO. and I've seen VI, VII (yes I know I'm playing it right now but I'm a spoiler-freak) VIII, IX, X and X-2, and I think it has the best ending scene. It wraps up all the characters, we get to see them all happy, even Cid and Edea, Laguna's flash-back is just so poignant, even Seifer gets a second chance! its a very uplifting ending,(unlike VII!) espicially the little bit on the balcony with Squall and Rinoa.

amra

Shoden
02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
ive played 8 and 7 again, 8 was to dedicated to love and short like 7 i felt as if they could have more in them. Quistis would have been good to die as she wasnt involved much and boring (no offence) 8 could have more action and drama and more evolution of all characters and sidequests to figure out the pasts of everyone

Avenger
02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
It might not be the tpo dawg of FF-games cuz of the draw-system and the horrible plot, but it's still way better than, for example, FFIX :)

It's #3 on my list.

Polaris
02-09-2005, 06:02 PM
ive played 8 and 7 again, 8 was to dedicated to love and short like 7 i felt as if they could have more in them. Quistis would have been good to die as she wasnt involved much and boring (no offence) 8 could have more action and drama and more evolution of all characters and sidequests to figure out the pasts of everyone

see someone agrees with me but not Quistis, she's so great alive... Rinoa... why not?

Ultima Shadow
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
few things which could have been better
- should have more SeeD missions...
- more side quests
- more use of squares trade mark chocobo
- more details about characters past
- time compression thingy
- after becoming leader of the garden, a mini game for managing the garden would have been super cool :D

You forgot 2 things...
1) Make it more challanging OR being able to play it at easy, normal and hard etc.
2) Making Ultima Weapon 224 times as powerfull as he already is. :cool:

Rinoa... why not?
I agree!!! :cool:

-Zohar-
02-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, I covered my hate for FFVIII on another topic...If they added more detail into their plot devices, it could have made a favorite of mine...
It is true that the characters are easy to connect to b/c they are realistic but it gets OCish to me at times.

rubah
02-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Squall: Mix Shadow in with a little Locke and a touch of Sabin.
Rinoa: Terra, and not even cleverly disquised. With Shadow's dog.
Quistis: Celeste, pure and simple.
Irvine: Setzer and Edgar
Selphie: Relm, mostly... a little Gau... and some stereotypical ditz.
Zell: A little Edgar, a lot Sabin

I don't see any of those at all.

cL0uD3
02-10-2005, 10:53 AM
yep.... FF VIII is the best for me. it's my first FF series i've play and finished before i played FF I to FF VII and finished all. but FF VIII has a deep impact on my view to FF series.
let me rate it:
music: i think FFVIII has the best music above all the series. i'm sure everyboby will agree with me.
Graphic: yeah cannot compare with the latest FF such as X and X-2 but its the best graphic if its refer to the technology at that time.
storyline: no need to say much.... VERY GOOD
all over: 9 out of 10 star

Shoden
02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
thats a bit overated

i give it a 6/10 and VII a 8/10 every FF game could be improved

lord shishio
02-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Final Fantasy nine could use the mostn, what do you give that?

Trumpet Thief
02-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Rubedo: It was an alright game, that had it's ups and downs. First of all, the music was done very well. There are many pieces that I still remember, and still enjoy. The graphics, even though they shouldn't be something too big to determine how great the game is, were still amazing and breathtaking.

Trowa: The story was alright, I suppose. It started off a little realistic like something important was going to happen soon, but, that certain "Important thing" didn't make me enjoy the story that much. ie. The sorceress' stuff. Seifer going onto that side though was a fun surprise :D

squall088
02-14-2005, 04:39 AM
The greatest RPG ever made is FFVIII maybe you will think that i am crazy but im not, i have played Chrono Trigger, FF7, FF9, FFX, FFX-2 FF6 evrything and non of them liked me like this one, maybe you think that is because FF8 is my favorite game cause was the first i played but nooo is one of the last. And come on guys dont tell me that the history sucks because its extraordinary, FF7 i liked the game but the endign bah didnt like it and neither aeris death, FF9 too easy good game didnt like the characters a lot, FFX and FFX-2 good games, FF6 very very good RPG but not as good as FF8. Favorite characters Squall and Rinoa of course lol :) :) :)

K-chan
02-19-2005, 07:58 PM
I liked most of the storyline, except the orphanage part. That was just kinda of corny. I didn't like the drawing system for magic as well as the junction system. Their both more work than they're worth

Yuffie514
02-19-2005, 11:11 PM
how can drawing magic be hard :mad: :) ? it's much easier than equipping materia just to learn spells :p . i like challenges, but i also like things simple and easy :cool: . in FF8, magic may not have to be learned ;) , but it's a responisibility, as in keeping a good supply :D .

rubah
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I can't really comprehend how anyone could consider the ragnarok SLOW after traveling by GardenX.x now that was miserable.

Goblin
02-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Ragnarok is slow compared to the newer games aircraft.

Skyblade
02-20-2005, 12:48 AM
True, but Rubah makes a very valid point: the Ragnarok goes at warp speed compared to the Garden (actually, I think the Highwind from FFVII was faster than the Ragnarok too, but still, anything is better than the Garden).

Actually, what I really didn't like about the Junctioning system was that it made magic useless. To get good stats, you had to junction the best magic, so to use the magic, you lost the stats. Really bad idea there.

YukiKiro
02-20-2005, 03:56 AM
cloud and red, i'd expect you guys to like it least. FFVIII was my first FF, therefore no matter what anyone says, it has a place in my books as one heck of a game, and in my oppinion, about || <--- that much better than FFVII.

Yuffie514
02-20-2005, 06:30 AM
same goes for me :D . don't get me wrong here :) , but i always thought that although FF8 :cool: isn't the best of the PS series, it's probably one of the most favored :up: , since i don't see very many complaints about it ;) .

Wiegrahf42
02-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Meh. I was rather put off by the Dawson's creek esque characters. Music was alright. Graphics were alright. Junction system made it too easy to create Demi-god characters if you knew how to use the thing. Story was nothing to write home about either. All in all I don't hate it but find it overated.

darkchrono
02-27-2005, 11:44 AM
it is obvious that all the anti-ff8 people have gotten tired of arguing with you guys. Because a couple years ago we would have gotten tons of replies telling in detail why ff8 was a BAD game.

BackRoomKid
02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
FFVIII is #2 for me....but one of the things I liked about it was the "teenage" approach...younger kids but Square displays them like many teenages you see in the high school/college scene

fainaru
03-12-2005, 11:56 PM
FF8=my favourtie game (for personal and game reasons)

and it was the first ff i bought with saved up money on the pc (sorry Sepho didn't have a ps back then so couldn't play ff6 "-_-")... but onto the point. i admit, ff8's storyline wasn't a "masterpiece", but define masterpiece right? if something as simple as forgetting your past can be crafted like how ff8 has done it, then it deserves props man!

youk
03-14-2005, 06:35 PM
FF VIII was kinnda cool but story you think wich fucking story the charcters and there limit breaks where awsome specaily the one of zell and laguna:D an jutining and magic system was kinda difrent from the real FF style i say F VII is the best

Shoden
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
i liked the tonberry Gf's abilities such as haggle it made me rich

Tigmafuzz
03-15-2005, 07:35 PM
g

Swordicanus
03-20-2005, 03:26 PM
i loved ff8 and it's story up until Esther and going into space from that point i didnt really like it.. still it's the 2nd best final fantasy

fainaru
06-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Actually, I liked FF4 ^-^

JulioA
06-05-2005, 12:30 AM
VII is probably my favorite, I really loved the Junctioning system, and I loved the charecters. I say probably because VII is real close and I am waiting to play VI once I finish V, and I have not played IX in so long that I might replay it soon, X was cool to but I felt it lacked a little story, and it should have been longer.

The Anarchy Angel
06-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Bah! The junctioning system is what made the game what it is. I loved that system because it made so much sense. Putting this on attack raises it by this much and using a suitable ability makes it rocket to 255, simple enough. Drawing was cool but annoying to try and keep your stash at 100 if you enjoyed using aura and meteor and such.

DMKA
06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I really love this game. It's great, but it's not my favorite....

Things I liked:
- The weird plot aspects (ie, the whole dreamworld thing, the fact that Julia was Rinoa's mother, the tie-ins with Ellone and all that).
- The Omega Weapon.
- The Intro (best videogame intro ever).
- The Characters...I saw a little piece of myself in each of them, weirdly enough.
- The pretty graphics...at the time they kicked ass compared to everything else.
- The amazingly set up final battle.
- The beautifully moving ending.

What I Disliked:
- The space part (well, when you had to catch Rinoa and such, and got on the Ragnarok...was all great, I just mean the time on that ship with Ellone while Rinoa was unconcious).
- The magic draw and stock system...I just didn't like it.
- The fact that nearly all magic was completely useless.
- The part about everyone having been from the orphanage or whatever....it was kinda...eh.
- Enemy leveling up, and that there wasn't a huge range of different monsters.

Other than that everything else was acceptable. The game is excellent, but well...how should I put this....it's not FFVII. :)

thinking of names is hard
06-05-2005, 08:59 PM
First final fantasy i ever played....still the favourite. Its just so...stereotypical final fantasy.
Graphics were alot better than any othre playstation game. Cut scenes amazing....even by todays standards. Sound was....erm....leave that part out.
Game play great. Junction system, gfs, draw magic system were all different from other final fantasies but never damaged the gameplay set by the standards of earlier final fantasies, it made them in my opinion better. Monsters levelling up an improvement. No more ridiculously easy monsters you fought at the beginning of the game.
You actually connected with the characters and knew where they were coming from.
More realistic than some other final fantasies. Story line that makes final fantasy so great.
How they tied in all the characters with each other.How the characters developed through the game.
Four disks....cant realy ask for much more in moneys worth...
Something new to those who were playing final fantasy before this.It was progression like it or not.
Bosses were actually concievable....instead of a big floating ball like ozma in vii wiping the floor with your party.

LionHeart_83
06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
I like the story better than VII's story. I don't mind the junction system, and the whole game was fairly easy. But I don't think it's at all the worst FF.

Lady Selphie
06-21-2005, 07:05 AM
I love FF8 for characters, music arts and the story

Smarty_Arty
06-22-2005, 04:04 PM
None of the FF games were bad but FF 8 isn't the best one first of all the Magic system sucked monsters leveling up with you was a bad thing because I had Squall and Zell about level 37 when I beat elvoret and I got 5 Dragon Fangs before I went to Timber. The story was average but the last boss was so easy if you have Auto-Haste and recover ultimecia doesn't stand a chance Hell's judgement come on takes about 3 turn to load then those about 7000 damage to everyone that's pathetic and then of course that attack that those 9998 damage to one target it was so easy but FF 8 was a good game like all other FFs. The music was great but nothing compared to FF 7 but the Characters in FF 8 ruled.

BabyVixen
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
The entrance and end scenes are really probably the only things I like about this game. I really don't like playing this game at all anymore because it's really boring and the only song I liked from this game was "Eyes On Me" (is it Eyes On Me or Eyes On You?). The battle system is really annoying as the ATBs always stop whenever anything happens and the drawing takes forever. As for the GF sequences they're annoying too because you can't shorten them or turn them off and I'm pretty sure I got Repetitive Strain Injury from hitting that damn square button too much. The chocobos could have been put to better use (such as racing) but the sorceress part of the story was really cool and made me want to be a sorceress :D.

So it's my least favourite FF I'd give it a 5 out of 10

Griever00
06-25-2005, 12:13 AM
7 was the first RPG, let alone FF game that i played. and it was great. then came 8. with the most beautiful graphics and music for any game at that time. the entire plot was an elegantly twisted masterpiece. i don't think any game will get to that kinda story for a long while. the characters were enduring and easy to care for. it's my favorite game, and i'm proud to say it. sure people give it crap about the junctioning system but every FF game has a different approach and how you percieve that approach will determine how the game is for you. same goes for a game as a whole.

Alexander
06-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Most FFs are much better than FFVIII. I simply got very, very, VERY dissapointed with VIII. Mainly with the storyline. (Where is it? o.o) The "Trabia Garden event" was forced, Squall/Rinoa couple was forced (he couldn't stand her and from nothing he loves her... o_O), and Ultimecia is a lot of wasted potential. Etc.

Plus the characters are wasted potenital as well.

In my opinion, FFVIII had the potential to be the best FF -ever-. But it was oh so wasted... >_<]

And... *slightly in fanboiy mode* Ooh, lies about FFIX >_<

FFIX is not easy. Not easy like FFX, at least. And FFIX is harder than FFVIII. You can finish FFVIII with levels below 20 so easily that it's not even funny.

FFIX is not short. It is as long as FFVIII. Actually, if you do FFIX's side-quests, FFIX is longer. No side-quest of FFVIII is time consuming, IIRC.

Rini
06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
VIII was my first RPG ever, so I think it affected a lot in my later experiences in playing other RPG's and FFs.

After half a dozen times I've played it through, still I find it funny that it doesn't bore me as much as IX, X and X-2 (I've played all of those a couple times through, but somehow it gets me bored a lot easier). I think VIII is the most easy game of the FF's to pick up to. What I mean is, it's much, much easier to start a game of VIII to me, than it would take to start a new game (even +) of X-2.

Other thing is that it's so captivating, on most parts at least. I hate the jail sequence, but other than that it's quite satisfying. I actually enjoy running after those stones in Shumi Village to get that Phoenix Pinion ^^;
Actually, it had been a while between my last time and this time playing the game, and after the last time I've read a bunch of fanfics that make it more interesting to play, since it gets me thinking more "what if...." and now, what's more fun than that :D Also the characters feel like a lot more in-depth this way.

After getting acquainted with the other FFs gaming systems, I've decided that Junction is a lot more fun, and a lot more hard work and tactics. I love drawing spells (okay well, not when they only draw 1 spell at a time x.x) and I love junctioning them one by one.

But there are a few things I don't like.
1. There's no way I can get Pocketstation -> Chocobo world ;_; I would've probably loved that part too xP
2. The towns are offlimits in the future. I wanted to know how future cities would've looked like *snif* I mean, if you can move about with Ragnarok, then why NOT have the ability to visit cities? Stupid unimaginative Square staff *mumbling*
3. Having 3 people moving on the screen at the same time. I know it's different from other FFs, but come on. One should do. And it would be a lot easier to move about and explore everything (for example the Card Master's room in Dollet where you have to be careful where you position Squall to get Occult Fan II and those other items, you only get them in a certain angle, right?).

Hm. That's about it.~

Yuffie514
06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
I love FF8 for characters, music arts and the story

yes! please don't make her have to repeat herself over and over again!

crazybayman
06-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Fantastic game. My favorite FF, and favorite game of all time. Kicks FFVII's a$$. I by far prefer the junctioning system to materia. There's just too many combinations with Materia, I like getting a somewhat limited choice, but not too limited, which is exactly what the junction system gave me. Plus in FFVII with materia, the more magic you have the weaker your character. In FFVIII, the more magic, the more powerful you are!!

Characters were great, music was great, the Laguna saga was great, Triple Triad is great (though I'm just now learning to appreciate it, hehe), sidequests like Deep Sea Research centre was great, battle system was great, blah blah blah blah............

At the end of the day, its all a matter of preference, I guess. Many prefer FFVII, many prefer FFVIII, many prefer FFIX, etc. I personally prefer FFVIII. Its definitely the most reaslitic, but still has that sci-fi edge, with a guy's sword being more powerful than any piece of machinery.

theoryonlyworksintheory
06-30-2005, 07:55 AM
ff8 is my favorite. I think it had the best and most original storyline, with the most realistic characters by far(unlike ff9), i think it had the most complex storyline and i'm only happy when things are complicated. So much emotion and twisted relationships. awesome.

disapointedchild
06-30-2005, 05:17 PM
It was my first ff, so I may be a bit biased, but I do like it the best out of all of them i have played. I am sucker for a love story.

Lets see, the musical score was one of nobuo's best. Opening up with Liberi Fatali, a great powerful orchestrial piece, it immediatly gave you a glimpse of what to come. (Although you did not know this the first time through). Other beutifule pieces include Eyes on me, which is the first time an ff had a theme song with an actual singer. It led the way for Emiko singing Melodies of Life, the one for ff9, and Rikki, singing Suteki Da Ne in FF X. Plus many other memoriable pieces.

Graphics, are beutiful, for an 7 years old game. And square really improved on the cut scenes, from FF7. I liked how there were transitions between gameplay to cut scenes, and how you could even move the player a bit between the transition. Good menu screens. Good.

Gameplay was cool. A whole new take on leveling up. You didnt have to if you didnt want to. If you were smart enough you could master the junction system and rule all. With so much costmization in those menues, you could do anything. Making so many ways to play the game, creating replay value.

Story was great with all its plot twits and such. Seeing the main character transitionally change from a loner to a lover throughout the game was furfulling in cool way, and it was weaved perfectly. How the story is weaved, the orphange, flashbacks, seemingling unimporting things happening, then you later going, "oh thats why that happened."
Yes they should of explored Quistis, zell, irvine, and selphie more. But oh well, and Ultimacia should of been introduced earlier.
But come on nobody even heard of the crystal of life in ff9 and necron till the very end so.

Overall my fav. game.