PDA

View Full Version : the Sphere grid system. good or bad?

Shoden
01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
well here you can comment on the sphere grid system in FFX, what happened to the lvl up feature?
i think that it isnt all that good but the ability system was but i think it should of just been abilities and magic though as leveling up was a final fantasy tradition

UltimateSpamGrover
01-22-2005, 05:53 PM
then play FFX-2 or XI.

01-22-2005, 06:03 PM
i liked it but it got a little weird when someone could jump to anothers place on the grid.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah that was a bit weird as it would of been better that some characters could learn certain abilities and magic.
i prefered the junction system but it took a while to master it

Captain Maxx Power
01-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know why, but I really like the Sphere Grid. Something about all those balls...

Lon611
01-22-2005, 06:49 PM
i loved the sphere grid. it thot the ability to go past the hp limit really added more gameplay. plus, it really allowed you to mix and match and "strenghten your weaknesses" so to speak, by choosing which stat u wanted to work on.

but it did get a lil akward that auron could learn magic if he wanted to, etc etc. but my fav leveling up system by far

Xander
01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I really liked it personally, I found it made battles more fun and there was more incentive to random battles because you could gain sphere levels and then get skills and stuff as soon as you wanted to. It was great being able to break HP and Damage limit too. It was different, but fun and one of my favourite systems.

SeeDRankLou
01-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I liked it. Very interactive. My favorite level up system.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
i think it should of been a bit different so each character could only learn certain abilities. thats what i hated about it example yuna could lets just give tidus some aeons to go with that geez it was a bit carried away though

DJZen
01-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I liked the Junction system even more, but only because it was significantly more obtuse. Complicated RPGs intruige me. I liked the sphere grid system a lot. If there's one thing Squenix can do well, it's completely throw you for a loop. FFII completely abandoned the concept of levels, and FFVIII made levelling up a counterproductive process. I'm glad that FFX had this strange yet fun twist on the standard formula.

Shoden
01-22-2005, 08:30 PM
the junction and sphere grid systems are my favourites but the materia system was good aswell

rubah
01-23-2005, 03:37 AM
I enjoyed it immensely.

I tend to like systems where i can control my stats better than the others. (ie, ffx, ff8, and ff2, and to an extent, ff7)

There's a huge area for potential (what, 850 something spheres?) plenty of area to get all your stats maxed, except for a couple (or just one?)

After having so much fun making kimarhi jump through rikku's grid to get to Yuna's before Yuna ever got to that area, I appreciate the sphere grid even more (although by the time gagazet comes, which gets sooner and sooner, I may start regretting that. At least he'll have good curing abilities with use and curaga and regen. and steal!:D and maybe even Holy. You never know:D)

It sorta makes sense, being able to learn other people's abilities. I mean, lulu keeps saying 'you should study your magic more' and when you think about it, if you were traveling with a black mage, wouldn't you be asking them all the time to teach your fire3? I mean, they have to do *Something* when they stop for the night at places-- sharing abilities just makes sense:)

It's not like they're traveling with a book they're reading through their journey, and only when they get to certain points (levels-_-. THe stupidest way of learning abilities I can think of) they go 'oh! okay!'

Heck, if I had to read a book while walking all over the world while saving it, I'd trip in a well like the astronomer and die.

And then the world would blow up because I wasn't there to save it.

So Sphere grid system== awesome.

but expensiveX.x (stupid clear spheres and lvl4briberyspheres)

Creed
01-23-2005, 05:24 PM
I liked it and hated it

liked it because-You can skerw with Kimari
Hated it beacuse-the lock sheres

Del Murder
01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
It was fun and innovative. For most of the game the characters had their specialty, but near the end you could beef them all up to super destroyers. Much better than the same thing over and over agian, at least.

Necronopticous
01-23-2005, 07:45 PM
i think it should of just been abilities and magic though as leveling up was a final fantasy tradition
The Final Fantasy "tradition" is innovation in these areas, they hardly ever recycle a method in which skills and abilities are learned. I loved the Sphere Grid, it was new and worked well.

darkness angel
01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
after final fantasy 6, the system in leveling has never been the same twice. Though it's become more decided how limit breaks work *seems like they've been extinguished in FF:chronicles and beyond: someone please correct me if i'm wrong*
Just a lil brief on the level systems that I do know *just for anyone who doesn't* lol:
Final Fantasy 1: Go buy your magic and fight for stats
Final Fantasy 4: Levels for stats and magics occasionally beat on a special enemy for a special summon
Final Fantasy 6: Espers for magic and additional stats at level, main stats through basic leveling - "limit break" introduced as critical attack
Final Fantasy 7: Equiped materia for spells and abilities slightly alter stats, levels for stats- limit breaks based on damage and usage
Final Fantasy 8: Junction system for stats, leveling barley helps, junction for magic- limit breaks based on low health used endlessly
Final Fantasy 9: Level for stats, equip armors and weapons to learn abilities- *forgot what limit was called* based on taking in damage
Final Fantasy 10: Sphere grid for stats and magics- overdrive based on differing factors
Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles: Stats based on aquiring artifacts at the end of a level and spells also- no limit break that i kno of

golden_queen_mercury
01-24-2005, 08:36 PM
When I first played this game and the tutorial to play the sphere grid popped up, I thought "WTF!" This is too confusing, I am never gonna use the sphere grid in this game. Then later on I found out that it wasn't hard to use at all. I would much rather have the level up system though.

rubah
01-25-2005, 02:59 AM
what about
FF2: buy magic and smack yourself around for hours and pretend to cast spells,
FF5: buy magic and slowly learn to use it when you aren't dressed to use it+learn abilities through fighting. Get most summons by smacking them around.

FFTA reminded me of FF9 (or vice versa rather) in that you learn abilities from weapons. I always thought that sorta sucked-_-

Flashback007
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Hmm, I liked the grid-system, altough I tend to run out of certain Spheres and if you miss a few nods on the Sphere Grid then. You are very easily in trouble. I got to miss the nod with which you can steal Speed Spheres. So there goes my speed. Hmmm, I was just glad I got the other "Steal-Spheres"-nods. But on Kimhari's spehere grid I took the wrong turn and ended up on Lulu's sphere grid.