PDA

View Full Version : Braces

Dingo Jellybean
01-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Anyone have them? What's your experience with them and why did you get them(most people will say their parents forced them to)? I've had my braces for exactly 1 year now, they're not as bad as they are initially. However, since I use invisible(ceramic) braces, they're easier to break...and they cost more(A LOT MORE).

They're pretty painful at first, when the wires are tightened up to put pressure on your teeth to move(and they're like that everytime the wires need to be adjusted) and it's not convenient when wires poke your gums either(a sign that lets you know the wires are doing their job of moving your teeth).

It's also a pain in the ass to brush too. It takes like, 3x longer to brush because you can't floss and you need to use a smaller brush. The ceramic braces are also tend to get a bit brown(though not too brown that it completely discolors them), so I'll probably have my teeth whitened after my braces come off.

Oh well, that's my experience with them. I decided to get braces because of my overbite and I felt I need to "look good" when I teach. Maybe when I get my braces off I'll move the lighting in a way so that when I smile, it'll shine right in the students' faces...that'll be the day.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-22-2005, 07:26 PM
dont have them, maybe I'm too young to have them....

Optium
01-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I had them for a few years, then when I got them off I had to wear that
damn retainer and I sort of gave up on that after a couple months, then
when I went to put it on a little while later it didn't fit. Now my teeth are
messed up again. :\

I'll never get braces again though, it sucks that the norm in America is
perfect teeth. I'm moving to England! :p

.opt

Hawkeye
01-22-2005, 07:41 PM
yep i had them. 2 years of agony (actually, after the 1st 18months, they dont become as painfull :D )

after that is your retainer, which you live with till your 21. good luck

Dingo Jellybean
01-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, the retainer is key to maintaining the teeth in their form. I plan to keep wearing it until I die. It's annoying to wear the retainer, but eh...at least you can remove it.

Initially I wanted the Invisalign, but it would cost 2500 more so I said http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif it and went with the ceramic braces. But eh. It's funny how the US keeps making fun of England for crooked teeth, but I don't think England is like that at all. They're probably more teeth obsessive than we are.

White Raven
01-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Yep, I had braces for 6 years. All throughout highschool and my first year of University. That doesn't count the time before that where they were widening, yanking and doing a whole bunch of stuff in my mouth.

Right now, I have a "permanant" retainer. It's just a wire going inside my upper and lower row of teeth. I can hardly feel them at all now. So in the end, braces have been the life save for me. :D

Logan
01-22-2005, 07:58 PM
I got them in sixth grade because my parents made me and my teeth were crooked on top, and they came off when I was a freshman. I hated my retainer, and still do, and I hardly wear it (I'm supposed to wear it to bed but sometimes I don't :D). My teeth are a little crooked, but nowhere near as bad as they were when I started.

Rye
01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm part of the 2% that don't need/have braces. My teeth were always pretty much perfect. They're even a good size, like big in a good way, like model teeth.

My brother got braces though. His teeth aren't very good.

Emily52
01-22-2005, 08:04 PM
I'll never get braces again though, it sucks that the norm in America is
perfect teeth. I'm moving to England! :p
And what is that supposed to mean????? :mad2:

Yamaneko
01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Everyone knows Brits have... uhhh.... :shifty:

I had them for four years. My teeth are nicer looking now.

bennator
01-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Braces were awful...unfortunetly, my orthodontist messed up, and I need another round of braces in the future *shoot me*

Angelroo
01-22-2005, 08:55 PM
i get mine off in 2 weeks!! god i hated them :D

Optium
01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
It wasn't a bash at England, it was praise. I said I want to move there
because unlike in America, (from what I've seen at least) you don't have
to have perfect teeth to be looked at the right way. I don't think perfect
teeth are important enough to spend the amount of money that's spent
on braces on, so props to any society which hasn't accepted braces as
the norm for children in grade school.

.opt

01-22-2005, 09:56 PM
my dentist said i could have braces if i wanted to, but my teeth were okay without them.

The Captain
01-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I also have never needed braces. Though I should probably floss a bit more, I try to take good care of my teeth and that has perhaps allowed me to have healthy, straight teeth all my life.

Take care all.

Wuggly Blight
01-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I Had em for a year, You never get the taste of puty out, it hurt and I hated it!

Destai
01-22-2005, 11:03 PM
I got them in when I was 12 and my teeth have now moved enough to start removing them. It wasnt that my teeth were that bad but they would have gotten worse had I not gotten braces. I think the reason english people get taunted about teeth isnt totally because there teeth are naturally bad but because theres a large lack of dentists there.

kikimm
01-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I had them for almost two years, back in the sixth grade. Afterwards, I of course had a retainer, but as the first one lit on fire one day, and the toher i snapped in half, I don't have one any more. ;_; That's all right, though. I'm glad I had them when I did---young, so I could get it over with quickly. My two front teeth were in an upside down v-shape. Not anymore, though. :)

:D

Creed
01-23-2005, 12:40 AM
I have actual gol and silver braces....they dont hurt that much but they cut my lip alot

Dking'squeen
01-23-2005, 12:45 AM
about to get them off
hurt like hell whenever I get them tightened

Xaven
01-23-2005, 12:48 AM
When I was young like 3rd - 5th grade, some of my teeth posed outward a little but over the years, they magically fixed themselves! Now, I have near perfect teeth w/o braces! Yay for me! :D

fire_of_avalon
01-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I've needed them all my life, but we could never afford them. That's ok, most people tell me I have one of the most beautiful smiles they've ever seen, so I'm ok with it being crooked.

Hawkeye
01-23-2005, 04:00 AM
lol another thing that sucks about braces is that when you first get them on, they give you a list of what you shouldnt eat.

honestly, how many of you TRUTHFULLY went accordingly to that piece of paper?

exactly

01-23-2005, 05:16 AM
i floss everyday. if i just brush my teeth and not floss, itll feel like i didnt do anything at all.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-23-2005, 05:23 AM
I had them for a year and a half or so, got them off my Freshman year. My little sister will probably be getting the same, as I understand she is developing the freakish vampire-like fangs that I had.

Silmaril
01-23-2005, 12:54 PM
I had braces for 4 painful, long, patheti annoying years. From fourth grade-seventh grade. I got them off at 21 Jan 2000. I still celebrate that day.

Dingo Jellybean
01-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I had them for a year and a half or so, got them off my Freshman year. My little sister will probably be getting the same, as I understand she is developing the freakish vampire-like fangs that I had.

Developing mini-canines is not the result of lack of braces. Braces only move teeth, they don't restructure them. The "sharp" teeth that you see is usually from years of wear and tear of certain eating habits(both consumable and nonconsumable). Almost everyone has them...I think it's kind of cute on some people.

Wuggly Blight
01-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I broke mine eating a toffee... hurray for toffee, it made the whole thing cave in! it was a hideous contraption also designed to change the postion of my jaw, basicly it has a large wire on my mouth bridge and two elastic bands conecting the bottom brace with the one on the top brace. I lothed my brace, I didnt even get a what food at avoid... and I had 4 healthy teeth removed, it hurt and bleed for AGES. braces and corrective denistry are the tools of the devil!

boris no no
01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
i had braces for 2 and a half years and they hurt like hell!! i've got scar on the inside of my cheeks because of the wires!
i do kinda miss them tho! i had the whole cute school girl thing going!
i wear a retainer at night now, had it almost a year and i've broken it already! :( i have to pay £80 for a new one, money i do not have!

i had my brace because i had cross jaw, my bottom jaw went over the top and i had really wonky front teeth! the two next to the big front ones (have NO idea on the name!) were completely hidden behind the others!

oh and plus brittains are obsest with teeth too! we just have the NHS to pay for them!! yeay!

YunaGirl05
01-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I haev super straight teeth. but i have never had them! yay! but lots of people at my school do.

Fate Fatale
01-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I have the bloody things! Lemme see, I started the dental work when i was in 3rd Grade, got the braces on in 4th grade, in sixth grade I had all of my baby teeth pulled (Hurt like Hell), and not ar present. not all of my Baby teeth have grown back, even though its been 1 1/2 yrs...

Tokki Wartooth
01-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Dingo Jellybean, braces don't fix an overbite. That's related to jawline, not teeth.

I had braces for 2 and a half years, and I've had a retainer for 4 years and counting. My teeth are pretty good, but not perfect. I need to get my retainer readjusted or something.

o_O
01-25-2005, 01:31 AM
I've never needed braces, thankfully. My brother has had them for about four years, and they've been the bane of his life. At one stage he braces on the top and bottom, and retainers for the top and bottom. He couldn't even talk. :p

JunotDe
01-25-2005, 01:56 AM
I had braces..Didnt mind em. I got them cause I wanted too cause my teeth was http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif