PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Carson 1926-2005

Hawkeye
01-23-2005, 08:18 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_en_tv/obit_carson

King of late night died today at 79

heeere's johnny :(

The Captain
01-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Quite possibly the greatest entertainer in American history. He had the quickiest wit, could ad lib like no one else, yet had such compassion and was such a great interviewer. His show was always a source of laughter, of warmth, of education, of joy, and above all else of entertainment.

Yet deep down, he was such a humble, modest, even shy person, who always wanted to keep his private life to himself and never, never boasted or attempted to be bigger than he was.

Truly, one of a kind. He was a giant of a man, and his legacy will live on forever next to the likes of Sinatra, Martin, Steve Allen, and the like.

Thank you Johnny Carson for making us laugh, for filling our lives with such spirit and good vibrations and for always being true to yourself.

Take care all.

DMKA
01-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I heard first thing this morning...a great loss indeed. He will be missed.

OOC: Shouldn't this be in World Events?

Leeza
01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
RIP Johnny. :(

fire_of_avalon
01-24-2005, 02:32 AM
My dad and me are really sad, but my little sister doesn't really get it.

Any favorite Johnny moments? I don't really remember much, but I do remember loving him when I was little.

The Captain
01-24-2005, 03:34 AM
The moments are too many to name, but here goes:

- In the 60's, during a live commercial, when Ed was selling a brand of dog food, but the dog wasn't coming over and eating, so Johnny ran over, stuck his head in the bowl and rubbed against Ed, proving he could be man's best friend himself.

- The hilarious Steve Martin listening to his answering machine bit

- The Tomahawk throw

- The Potato Chip lady

- Carnac and all of Johnny's creations

- The wonderful, moving, heartbreaking final two episodes with Robin Williams and Bette Midler

- The cameo he made a few years later on David Letterman

- His guest spot on the Simpsons when Krusty gets Cancelled.

- Every single animal that came on the show

Carson's greatest trait was his ability to always make everyone else look great. He has been called among other things, the greatest straight man of all time, and I agree entirely. There will never be another.

Take care all.

Giga Guess
01-25-2005, 02:37 AM
R.I.P. man...I have nothing else to say.

OH! A rose for the grave....

@~~}~~~~