PDA

View Full Version : Favourite RPG series

Dreddz
01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
hi wot does everyone think is the best RPG series.Ive only really gone with the final fantasy series. I pretty fond of the dark cloud series. I want to know any other good series of games with good storys e.g Xenosaga , Star oceon......... I live in the UK and i dont think Xenosaga is released over here but if i get the first episode from ebay will it work on my PS2 PAL I dont want to get it chipped. Thanks

Cless
01-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Hello gibbi8. I think that the best RPG series is Final Fantasy and you will probably find most people on this site will say so (this being an FF site after all!). As far as game series for the UK gamer I don't know. I would recommend Suikoden to you if it were not for the ridiculously high prices that it sells for in Europe. But I can recommend individual RPG games to you. For the Ps2, I think you should perhaps try Star Ocean:'Til the End of Time as I find it to be an very entertaining game with a fun battle system. And maybe try Disgaea if you want to take a chance on a strategy RPG that made me laugh out loud. Twice.

BUT first get yourself a good RPG education (I'm sorry if you've already done this)! I recommend geting a SNES emulator and playing some of the classics first! Like Crono Trigger and the absolute best game ever hands down no arguement Tales of Phantasia!!! :love: *drools over keyboard*

strawberryman
01-25-2005, 05:49 AM
My favorite absolute RPG's are the final fantasies, but of course there are others...
My second favorite (you've probably never heard of them) twould' have to be the Dark Cloud Series. The first one you would'nt be too impressed about-(what with crappy graphics and kind of a goofy storyline), But the second one takes the cake. It is'nt really a atb type sytem like any hardcore RPG's, but it still has some of those elements...
I'd have to recommend #2, but if you absolutly HAVE to play both- I warn you- it gets boring after awhile.

Rainecloud
01-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Final Fantasy, Zelda...

You know, I can't think of any others. That's quite scary.

Destai
01-25-2005, 09:11 AM
My favorite absolute RPG's are the final fantasies, but of course there are others...
My second favorite (you've probably never heard of them) twould' have to be the Dark Cloud Series. The first one you would'nt be too impressed about-(what with crappy graphics and kind of a goofy storyline), But the second one takes the cake. It is'nt really a atb type sytem like any hardcore RPG's, but it still has some of those elements...
I'd have to recommend #2, but if you absolutly HAVE to play both- I warn you- it gets boring after awhile.The first one was one of the first games ever released for PS2. It wasnt "that" good but it was ok. You're right though the second ones class (Dark Chronicle in the EU). I really like it, I even bought the soundtrack. The fightings easy going ,not half as tedious as the first and really fun. It can be pretty hard to come acrss but if you se it you should give it a try.
I like a lot of the Grandia series too. Just an FF clone but the stories and battle systems are really good.

Bulldog
01-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Me being Biowares' little whore, I'd say Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.
The Elder Scrolls series is also quite entertaining.

Endless
01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
With no hesitation, the Mana (Seiken Densetsu) series is my favorite, followed by the recently discovered Disgaea/La Pucelle/Phantom Brave series.

Erdrick Holmes
01-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I can't decide between Suikoden and Phantasy Star.

Dreddz
01-25-2005, 07:58 PM
everyone is sayin dark chronicle ive completed both of them. I might try star oceon sounds pretty good

Doomgaze
01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Suikoden, definitely.

XxSephirothxX
01-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I'd consider Zelda an adventure, but if we're classifying it as an action RPG...then:

The Legend of Zelda, followed very closely by the Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Chrono series.

Clouded Sky
01-26-2005, 10:45 PM
chrono trigger. hands down. play it.

and as far as dark cloud goes, that game just seemed way too repititious for me: wander through dungeon, get stuff, wander through dungeon again, get more stuff, etc...

strawberryman
01-26-2005, 11:09 PM
I pretty fond of the dark cloud series.
you should try number two. I Rock at it and am always here to help.
HA! I AM THINE RULER DARK CLOUD 2! THOU SHALT FEEL THE PAIN OF LOSS!

strawberryman
01-26-2005, 11:10 PM
chrono trigger. hands down. play it.

and as far as dark cloud goes, that game just seemed way too repititious for me: wander through dungeon, get stuff, wander through dungeon again, get more stuff, etc...
Chrono trigger is the best.
But you should Try Dark Cloud 2. one of the best.

Sepho
01-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Strawberry, check this out:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/buttons/edit.gif

Try it out.

Dark Cloud 2 is the only game I've ever played that had me regretting going to sleep because I felt like I was wasting time I could be spending playing the game. That's good and bad, really. It's good because it goes to show how engaging the game really is, but bad because I never felt like I was accomplishing anything. And when I got to the end, I was like "Oh, this is the end.". Overall, great game - much, much better than Dark Cloud.

Craig
01-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Haven't actually played many RPGs but 2 series that I like are:

Breath of Fire
Grandia

kikimm
01-27-2005, 02:11 AM
I've only played one RPG series---Final fantasy. So I guess that would have to be my answer. When Drakengard 2 comes out, that might change. :scary: Kingdom Hearts 2, as well. Hmph.

:D

Raistlin
01-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Suikoden. No contest.

Jebus
01-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Suikoden. No contest.

Camanche
02-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I used to only play the FF series, but I haven't enjoyed some of the recent installments as much. Some of the series' that I have tried that I really enjoyed are Star Ocean, though I like 2 more then 3. Kingdom Hearts was enjoyable as well. Golden Sun isn't bad. And if Zelda counts, I played a few of the older Zelda games. Harvest Moon and Pokemon were always games I played when I was younger before I discovered FF. I'm still interested in some of the HM games, but I can't say I find interest in Pokemon anymore.

The newest RPG series I've discovered and enjoyed immensly would be Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I've only played the one game of the series that they've brought over to North America and it's already right up beside FF for being one of my favourite series.

(And while not exactly a true RPG, the MGS series rocks in terms of story.:))

Kossage
02-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, for me it's the Fallout series at the moment. :p

skystje
02-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Dragon Warrior was my first RPG (Zelda I consider an adventure genere in my book, however all adventures similar to it have thier Role Playing element.) I STILL play the DW series from time to time.

Final Fantasy series tops my list. Only ones I have not played out of the entire series (including the ones not released in North America) are FF 8, 9 and 11. 8 and 9 I will play when I can get my hands on a copy on it. 11 I wont play because I am quite burned out of the MMORPG scene. SWG and WoW was enough for me! :eek:

crashNUMBERS
02-05-2005, 02:43 AM
who doesnt like ff as their favourite rpg. if you do than your a sad person

Sweet Beloved
02-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Everyone knows the answer...Final Fantasy series...duh. You'd have to be insane. But a lot of us on here are *Including me* Final Fantasy 7 is what got me crazed bout the series.

Awrini
02-05-2005, 04:22 AM
I can't decide between Suikoden and Phantasy Star.

I'll just say both.

edczxcvbnm
02-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Chrono(Square)
Xeno(Namco)
Tales(Namco)

Considering the Chrono people were also involved in Xeno I say that Chrono has transfered to Namco in spirit.

Namco rocks.

Apple
02-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Fangirl of the...

`dragonWarrior
`harvestMoon
`finalFantasy
`talesOf_____

They make me smile and be happy. <3

Shoden
02-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Final Fantasy its probably the greatest Game series on the Playstation Nes-Snes and even reached to the GBA and NGC

crono_logical
02-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Tales Of for me :p Best battle systems too, since they can get so active at times :p

Shoden
02-05-2005, 04:55 PM
i didnt like the battle system in Kingdom hearts at all

Cless
02-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Tales Of for me Best battle systems too, since they can get so active at times
:love: :love: :love:
Tales of Phantasia is one of the best games ever made! Correction. The best. The game just oozes with quality. Every aspect, from the best battle theme ever (http://www.fantasyanime.com/legacy/top_battle.mid), to the crazy battle system, right through to the sublime characters. I love this game so much...it hurts :cry: :cry: :cry:

I haven't played any of the other "Tales of" games. Are they any good?

Dreddz
02-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Im really ****** off at the moment. I live in the UK and ive found out that both Xenosaga and the chrono series have not been released in the UK Ive recently bought Vagrant Hearts from eBay. I thought it was going to be great after reading many reviews saying that it is great. Its soooo boring. Ive got bored of it straight away . I guess ill play it later on. I got it for pretty cheap on eBay anyway. What im looking for it a game that is alot like final fantasy. I luv final fantasy so much. I want to try suikoden but looking at the prices people are bidding for on eBay are so high. Shows that it is a good game. Im buying Alundra now. Can people recommend games that i would like that are released in the UK

CloudVII
02-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Final Fantasy, Zelda, KOTOR, Chrono Trigger, In that order.

strawberryman
02-06-2005, 08:26 PM
I'd have to say... Chrono Trigger is my favorite, then Final Fantasy, then Dark Cloud 2.

Luc
02-06-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't know if you can consider Shadow Hearts a series, but if so, that's my favorite.

Other then that, Suikoden, for sure. Those games rock.. ;_;

Mokona
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Final Fantasy of course! :D

Appless
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Shadow hearts, Chrono, Xeno, FF, Golden Sun, Tales, Grandia, Star Ocean, KOTOR, BoF, Zelda and Suikoden. I like RPGs :)

amratis
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Im really ****** off at the moment. I live in the UK and ive found out that both Xenosaga and the chrono series have not been released in the UK Ive recently bought Vagrant Hearts from eBay. I thought it was going to be great after reading many reviews saying that it is great. Its soooo boring. Ive got bored of it straight away . I guess ill play it later on. I got it for pretty cheap on eBay anyway. What im looking for it a game that is alot like final fantasy. I luv final fantasy so much. I want to try suikoden but looking at the prices people are bidding for on eBay are so high. Shows that it is a good game. Im buying Alundra now. Can people recommend games that i would like that are released in the UK

Shadow Hearts is supposed to be very good, it wasn't popular commercially but its supposed to be brilliant.

Dreddz
02-07-2005, 08:18 PM
thanks. Ive blitzed all the Final Fantasys so im thinking of getting Suikoden. But the game is mega rare and people are going up to prices os Ł70 on eBay. I cant afford that im to young. Im playing Alundra at the moment. Why has no one recommended it. The game rocks!!!!!

absinthe fairy
02-10-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm a big fan, of course, of the Final Fantasy series. However, I've also taken an extreme fondess to that of the Suikoden series. I absolutely adore I & II of these series.

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Suikoden > Shadow Hearts > Seiken Densetsu > Chrono > Final Fantasy > most others. I really need to play some Tales games, though, and more Star Ocean games than just 3.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
LUNAR.

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh yes, I need to play those too. xD

Lindy
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Tales and Star Ocean, god bless Wolf Team and Tri-Ace.

Though I really do need to get Destiny and Eternia, or whatever the names are, the many alternative release names confuse me.

Star Ocean 3 is...scary and confusing, after the many hours of comboing and spamming skills in the first game and Second Story, the idea of taking HP AND MP damage for skills is...difficult to get around.

Oh, and Lunar, though the GBA version of Silver Star Story I didn't like so much, far too linear =X