View Full Version : ninjas or samurai

Blackmageboi
01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
which do you like more?
Nijas:silent assasins
Samurai: chop chop!

Jebus
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Ninja are a bunch of dishonorable cowards. They don't deserve any votes.

TasteyPies
01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Anyone who plays Medal gear solid has to have respect for the stealth of ninjas.

Nait
01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I must say, I have to prefer Samurai.

katana
01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Well, let's just say Miyamoto Musashi would pwn Hanzo Hattori. Although I think any samurai after the Meiji period would have been easy prey for a powerful ninja.
But I'm still going with Samurai.

Chaos
01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Both are cool. Ninja's for their stealth and Samurai for choppy choppy.

It's so hard to choose!

Chaos

Citizen Bleys
01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Samurai, just because Meikyo Shisui is waaaay cooler than Mijin Gakure.

escobert
01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Pirates!

Fate Fatale
01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
TIE!

lordblazer
01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
SAmurai's are stupid for killing themsleves.all my 5 are belonging to ninjas

Carnage
01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
why do people think samurai's are so great? if you know anything about ancient japanese culture you would know they were second to last on the social scale.

krissy
01-25-2005, 11:24 PM
why do people think samurai's are so great? if you know anything about ancient japanese culture you would know they were second to last on the social scale.

that a bad thing?

Faris
01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Pirates!
:love:

Not ninja's :tongue:

Citizen Bleys
01-25-2005, 11:31 PM

You're thinking Ronin. The true samurai were the Bushi, or "armed gentry."

Yes, gentry as in nobles.

P.S. Learn to use the apostrophe, please.

Carnage
01-25-2005, 11:34 PM
no, samurai were slaves of the shogun.

krissy
01-25-2005, 11:35 PM
i jsut thought of something:

sawed-off shogun
custom shogun
triple-barelled shogun

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-25-2005, 11:38 PM

Who was the highest ranking of all officials in Japan. Samurai were nobility, and they often owned their own fiefdoms. They did, of course, offer fealty to the daiymo and the shogun, but so did the Knights of medieval Europe to their lords and their king. The hierarchies are quite similar.

In any event, I voted for Samurai because their straight combat abilities are much better than a Ninja's combat abilities. Although a Ninja has the advantage of stealth, if a samurai knows a ninja is there the ninja is screwed.

Levian
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM

Yeah, for 700 years, then the samurais took over the power from the shoguns and abolished shogun-ness from the face of earth around the middle of the 19th century. Sweet huh? :cool:

Anyway, I have no preference, except pirates.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Robot ninja pirates.

Nait
01-26-2005, 12:12 AM
But the Shogun and Daimyo WERE Samurai... I think?

Hm. Come to think of it... I mean, surely they were? I can't think of a single reason why not.

Lionx
01-26-2005, 12:41 AM
I would say i love both, but have more of an affinity for Samurais. Ninjas in reality dont really have much combat involved(unless caught) and its mostly spying missions and the sort. I like stealth but the Samurai with its nobility and power in the battlefield makes them pretty cool as well.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-26-2005, 12:57 AM
That is correct. The word "Shogun" I believe translates to "Barbarian-defeating general". The daiymo and shogun were warriors, samurai, if you will.

Dking'squeen
01-26-2005, 01:00 AM
ninjas!

I'd rather silently kill my opponent than go into a frontal assault.

check my profile, it says that i like shooting shurikens from rooftops and I mean it...as in in like ninjas

Carnage
01-26-2005, 01:00 AM
daiymo>Shogun>Samurai

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Actually, the Shogun was the ruler of Japan, the daiymo were the rulers of the great clans.

Carnage
01-26-2005, 01:34 AM
i thought daiymo meant emporer :confused:

my fault. i mixed them up :(

Sepho
01-26-2005, 02:02 AM
My vote for Samurai tied it up.

The circumstances of the confrontration aren't specific enough (read: there are none) to really cast a valid vote, but in overall head-on combat ability, the Samurai is far superior.

However, a ninja isn't a fighter at all. They're mostly used for recon and missions that don't involve them having to take out a sword. And they're good at getting the job done in that regard.

Doomgaze
01-26-2005, 07:06 AM
Ninjas are mammals.

Zante
01-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Ninjas, for their stealt.

boris no no
01-26-2005, 05:40 PM
samurai just because they'd whoooop your ass!! :D
plus they look cool!

Blackmageboi
01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
so many replies in one day!
Ninjas would kill samurai if they are hidden but in an all out brawl samurai would win

Dking'squeen
01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
ninja's are agile too, so speed over power
ninjas

YunaGirl05
01-26-2005, 10:54 PM
You want me t pick between them!! I could never pick just one. there is good to both

Jebus
01-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Any good ninja have are overshadowed by their dishonor. I could never respect someone who poisions and stabs in the back. A true warrior fights face to face with their opponent.

SomethingBig
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Tom Cruise = samurai > ninja

Dking'squeen
01-27-2005, 12:02 AM
I could never respect someone who poisions and stabs in the back. A true warrior fights face to face with their opponent.

not all ninjas poison and stab in the back
some do fight face to face
just because of rumors and what you think they normally do in combat is nothing
You shouldnt stereotype because i've read or seen just like you ninjas who do quite the opposite. If a dummy gets hit in nthe back or the ninja attacks and you don't know it, i consider it your fault, or the fault of who was hit, not the ninjas. You should be aware of your surroundings and not just your front, because then someone could easily attack from the side as they could from the back. A samurai should be conscous of his surroundings and not just one way because that means you're weak in my opinion

Jebus
01-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Sure its the persons fault for not paying attention. The fact of the matter is that there is no honor in that. Attacking someone when they're unawares is dishonorable in just about every code of honor.

Honor is of great importance to me, which is why I despise ninja.

Dking'squeen
01-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Sure its the persons fault for not paying attention. The fact of the matter is that there is no honor in that. Attacking someone when they're unawares is dishonorable in just about every code of honor.

it's not the ninja's fault that the person is unaware and can there for attack them. And stop saying that ALL NINJA'S are like that. Some will let you get the first attack and let you miss and then attack themselves. You cannot say that all ninja's do that because it's not true and I don't like a stereotype like that. If everyone were awarre of the other's attacks, then where would the challenge lie? When two samurai lock blades, one may use a seperate tactic or attack or something that will catch the other off guard. samurai aren't different. Some samurai attack from the sides because they are intent on winning the battle at hand, just like if anyone saw an opening. Sure, some ninjas do it, but so do samurai, so don't say that it's just one sided. If you make an opponent stumble after a blow, would you let him/her recover and have time to plan another possibly stronger attack? Is that wise? NO, it's not and ninjas take advantage of that, whether it be from behind of the side. If it were life and death and you saw an opening to attack, whether it be from behind or the side, would you take it, or allow the opponent time to get ready to kill you?

Please, know the facts and quit saying that all ninjas do is shoot shurikens from treetops, shoot poison darts *which is stupid* and attack from behind, because it's not true

DeBlayde
01-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Ninjas were assassins generated by their environment's corruption, oppression and social inequality. they were the dregs of society. they had no honor and cared nothing for the people they hurt, only for their own selfish ends dictated to them by their clan leaders.

Samurai were greedy b@$tards who created the society through virtue of "Me have sword, you don't, me kill, you die" that directly gave rise to the ninja clans. They polluted the tenets of Bushido to fit their own purposes and justified their debauchery, thoughtlessness and greed.

Ninjas dressed more snazzily.

Samurai carried around those absolutely gorgeous swords. :love: i like swords you know.

Samurai degraded women and gave them no voice in any matter whatsoever. The Last Samurai very accurately illustrated the Samurai's wife role. She was defined as her husband's wife, rarely named, never considered, and expected to silently go about her work. She wasn't even allowed to holler at the brutish ignorant moron who demonstrated a huge lack of respect for herself, her family, and anything nearby. Had he dropped his drawers and taken a poo in the middle of the floor, he wouldn't have demonstrated more disrespect. but no hollering. :eek:

Ninja killed women, children, anybody without thought or hesitation. they were thugs. if the bloods and crypts were back in feudal japan, they'd be ninja. or at least trying to be. bad as they are, they'd be breakfast for some of the ninja clans.

I voted for the samurai because i like their swords better. they're purdy. :love:

Mindflare
01-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Neither. Killing isn't nice. XD

Kalen
01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Ahhhhhhh that is so hard, I think I would rather BE a ninja.....But I love the movie Seven Samurai......It depends on my mood, and I think I'm in a ninja mood.

Mirage
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Ninja.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Whoever thinks samurai aren't fast are sorely mistaken, the samurai have a great deal of speed about them as well, encumbered though they are by their armor. They aren't slow by any means.

And as far as the "ALL ninja aren't like that" comment, as was said Ninja were assassins, it was their job to strike from the back and strike without being seen. They were supposed to kill someone, not toy with them.

Ultima Shadow
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Shadow(FFVI)= Ninja... My vote= Ninja. :greenie:

Itsunari 2000
01-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Ninjas were assassins generated by their environment's corruption, oppression and social inequality

True. Ninja were purely a consequence of the brutality and corruption of the military dictatorship, the oppression of the peasant caste' by the rule of the samurai.Oppressed townsmen and peasants , frustrated by their lack of freedom , secreted themselves away within tightly-knit microcosmic societies , similar to the feudal clan system , adopting a strict code of loyalty and undergoing intense training in different fields - particularly ninpo/ninjutsu " the arts of stealth " , the assorted martial arts etc. They hired themselves out to the highest biddersas mercenaries , specializing in assassination , espionage ,arson and terrorism.The ninja were purported to possess supernatural abilities , like flight , hypnosis , superhuman strength , speed and agility.Some would argue that the ninja , free of the strict tenets of Bushido that the samurai followed , were superior warriors , though the ninja followed their own somewhat warped code of honour. For example, if a ninja was captured he/she would either kill himself or be killed by an accomplice , ather than reveal the secrets of his/her clan's secrets to the captor.

Rool
01-28-2005, 06:42 PM
The ninja training method of jumping over stocks of corn are one of the best in the world. As the corn grows to higher heights the ninja must consistently be able to leap over the corn without touching it. My uncle was a ninja and he'd always bring with him a garden pot with a stock of corn planted in it. He would wow us with his ability to jump over it.

Apollo
01-29-2005, 04:24 AM
I like Ninjas better.No reason I just think they are cool.

eestlinc
01-29-2005, 04:31 AM
I based my decision completely off ff5 job classes, so it should be obvious how I voted.

DeBlayde
01-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Actually, Behold, it's my understanding that ninja were primarily spies, and secondarily assassins. I should have mentioned that earlier. therefore, it was their job to gather intelligence and report it back to their commander/payer. The Ninja unarmed combat style is actually rather inefficient as far as a fighting style goes, and it's not especially complex. no weapons = deep shikakka. they would only fight if given no other recourse whatsoever because they were trained to firstly not be caught and secondly to run like hell when they were.

I shoulda mentioned this earlier. my bad.

but, samurai have a hugely efficient sword style. It's quite something to stand there while a master swordsman leaps at you at full speed waiting for the very last possible instant to dodge and counter. if you move too soon, he will change his attack to follow you and you will die. if you move too late, you will die. If you move too fast, you'll be too far away to strike back and you will die. if you move too slow, you will die.

there's a lot of dying implied there. good thing boken just give ya a good bruise instead of lopping off your arm. :D dying is generally seen as detrimental to one's health and well-being.

the "dodging by a paper's breadth" principle is one of the reasons Ninja were so effective against Samurai. toss the equivelant of pepper spray in your opponent's eyes, introduce him to your tanto, kick him as he's down and run like hell. Ninja's weapon style.

theundeadhero
01-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Y'arrrr! Pirates.

JunotDe
01-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I voted Ninja's just cause imma juggalo but I got mad luv for samurais too

Lindy
01-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Geisha.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-30-2005, 09:56 AM
I was refering more to if the Ninja were to fight at all.

But yes, combat-wise a Samurai is far superior.

crashNUMBERS
02-01-2005, 01:29 AM
damnit who likes gay samurais. you people who do you can shove those samurai katanas up your *** (coughs) sorry about that.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Thank you for that *ahem* insightful comment, care to state a reason?