PDA

View Full Version : What makes old people happy?

Shlup
01-26-2005, 03:15 AM
My Mema and Grampa's 50th wedding anniversary is this weekend. Seems like normally their children would pool together and throw them a nice party or give them a really nice gift, but, in our case, my mom is their only child and I'm their only grandchild, and neither of us are rich.

It's fallen on me to find something to do for their anniversary, and I'm stumped. So this is me blatantly pleading for sincere suggestions from ya'll so I can make my Mema and Grampa happy. Please don't be spammy little lametards or I will cry and proceed to abuse my power in whatever ways possible to piss you off.

Please help me to please my dearest Mema and Grampa. :<3:

P.S. The party idea is not in the realm of happening. I was thinking more along the lines of something a little more than a really nice dinner. Dinner theater was suggested, but those suck.

Necronopticous
01-26-2005, 03:19 AM
I think they like things like big porcelain pigs with flowers painted all over them and holes to stick real flowers inside. I'm not very good at getting old people presents, but the pig might be a good idea.

I'm sorry, I thought I could really think of something but I've never had to buy a present for an old person before D;

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Tell Mema and Grandpa I send my love. 50 years, how romantic!

Hmm... I'm not much good at this stuff either. And I never got to do stuff like this, what with my grandparents being divorced on one side and widowed on the other. Im stumped! I'll ask Kim...

All I could suggest would be making them dinner... I think it'd be fun to send them somewhere by train cause of Grandpa's love of them, but that could be expensive. Maybe you can take the Amtrak down to somewhere nice in LA?

Shlup
01-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Oo, a train trip to LA or something for dinner! That's a cute idea, Assybutt. :<3:

I'll look into it.

TasteyPies
01-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Box 'o Wine for grammy, jack daniels for grandpap.

escobert
01-26-2005, 03:31 AM
See above post.

Shlup
01-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Mema prefers whiskey. Grampa prefers sleeping. ^_^

fire_of_avalon
01-26-2005, 03:46 AM
My great grandma and grandpa's 50th anniversary happened before I was born, but I got to see pictures and hear stories about it. Basically all they did was Grandma cooked her own food because she likes it that way and they invited family over and ate and laughed and told stories and they were very happy from what I hear. I say whatever you do, let them see how their marriage has not only been awesome for them, but awesome for the people around them as well. SCRAP BOOKS YAY!

Ok. I like scrapbooks too much. But the train is a good idea too. :D

Yamaneko
01-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Oo, a train trip to LA or something for dinner!
Where the heck do they live? On a farm?

Just do something simple. Old people go to sleep early, remember.

meowwl
01-26-2005, 06:27 AM
A scrapbook is a good idea, so is taking all of their old photos and scanning them onto a CD, maybe cleaning them up digitally. If you make a scrapbook, make sure to treat the photos with care..maybe give them a dose of archival mist to neutralize the acid. If you don't want to go to the trouble, or are too cheap, the ubiquitous lavender bath set for grandma, the new weird tie for gramps.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Booze and hookers. Lots of them.

Rainecloud
01-26-2005, 07:33 AM
My Grandparents would be happy with my presence alone.

Just visit them on the day and make them some coffee. ;)

escobert
01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Where the heck do they live? On a farm?

Just do something simple. Old people go to sleep early, remember.
I must be old then :(

Endless
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Hrmm, it's tough, since my grandparents have the opposite problem, where the issue is for us children/grandchildren to find where all 50 of us can get together at the same time.

I'm gonna throw some ideas:
Do your grandparents have friends still living? Can you contact them? You might be able to do a mini party (fancy dinner for example, with a gift at the end) if you can get them to join aswell.
Does the priest who married them still live? Can you contact him? If not, can you contact the pastor/priest/... of their church? You could organize for them to renew their vows, for example.
Is there some place they'd really want to go, like a restaurant, or a spectacle?

Humane
01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't think you'd have to do anything. Grandparents just love it when you're actually with them.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
A small family get-together and then a night out dinner out in the moonlight just them two with you and even close family members, nothing fancy...you could organise somthing like that!

All the best with the Grandparents and congrats on them! :D

Rye
01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
They like old music that they can slow dance to. :)

boris no no
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
hmmmm. i've never had to get my grandparent anything since theres about 50 of us grandkids...
my nan is always happy with home made things like cards or food! :D are you good at drawing or painting? or making anything? you could cook them a meal and make something really special.
my grandmutty is always happy with purfume so you could buy some or even better make some!! :D rose purfume is easy to make and smells ok!
both my pop and grandvater are dead so i dunno bout your grandaddy

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2005, 01:57 PM
50 grandkids!? Good lord! xD

I still like my train idea, since Grandpa loves trains. I wish I could show him the train that's on the way to Mammoth, it was in the Wedding of the Waters ceremony! And Mema would be happy just to have Mandee there, cause Mema is awesome. Yay Mema!

Hmm... I should get them a present too.

Dignified Pauper
01-26-2005, 02:53 PM
it's all an illusion

Rye
01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Old People like photo albums too. So they can go through them and see all the wonderful times that they shared with their family and friends.

Rusty
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
What about dancing? Like taking them to an old style jazz club with all the old music playing from the 50's and 60's.

:)

Mr. Graves
01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Sitting around and watching TV? :D?

The Captain
01-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Do either of them still remember their first date or where they were when the marriage proposal took place? Perhaps, if it's not out of the way, a return trip to either of these locations so that they can really see how far they've come. Dinner is always a plus as well.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
01-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Get a cake with their wedding photo on it. That's what we did for my grandparents. Of course, they also have 3 children and 6 grandchildren.

TasteyPies
01-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Get a cake with their wedding photo on it.

How would you cut it?

UltimaLimit
01-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Presumably you would cut it with a knife.

Whatever you do, it's the thought that counts. Simple + you spending time with them is probably the best way to go.

Dr Unne
01-28-2005, 04:40 AM
My grandparents' 50th anniversary is NEXT weekend. Weird. My parents made them a photo album with old pictures of the family, and we're having a family reunion. I do mean OLD pictures. Like of my grandfather when he was in the army, 40 or 50 years ago or so. Also some wedding pictures etc.

-N-
01-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Dig up old friends they haven't seen in years, and arrange a reunion.
Take them travelling someplace they haven't been before, but want to go.

That's all that comes to mind for now.

Calliope
01-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Old people like art, and other gifts that beam down large quantities of thought and time...LIKE A ROLEX!