PDA

View Full Version : Should the "Final Fantasy" series end?

super sayin Tidus
01-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Should there be a limit to the Final Fantasty's? Or should they just continue for ever more until the likes of Final Fantasy 47 is on the market?
Will there be a FINAL fantasy?

ShivaBlizzard8
01-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Not until the day it stops making Square and all its benificiaries lots and lots of money.

Necronopticous
01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
The day Final Fantasy 47 is released will be a good day.

ljkkjlcm9
01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Eventually there may be, but then they will create another RPG series similar to it with a different name.

Megaman has many more games than Final Fantasy, sadly though most of the newest ones have gotten bad reviews, and I tend to agree except I really like the GBA games, the X series needs to end soon... just "kill zero" like his destiny said in X-3, but yet he cant because Megaman Zero is afterwards, and Zero is alive, aww hell did they screw up by contradicting themself...

THE JACKEL

turnitup5000db
01-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, they shouldn't go all the way to FF47 if they can avoid it, I don't think... more like just keep diversifying. Look at what they're doing now. Dirge of Cerebrus. FFX-2. Tactics and Tactics advance. Crystal Chronicles. Just eventually start giving them more creative names and you're fine.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-26-2005, 07:32 PM
They should at least make it to Final Fantasy XXX. I'd buy that one.

Dreddz
01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Of coarse its going to end. Id say we have a few more fantasys than you think coming though. Unfortunatly i say that the series is getting worse. FF10 was good but it is not half as good as the others and with 12 being no random battles its totally betraying its roots. I will still buy them cause im a FF adict but it will probably end on FF15-17 sumin

SeeDRankLou
01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
The series should never end. Maybe bring in some new minds to the fray to mix it up a bit, but it should never end. At the rate they are making Final Fantasy games I might be 56 before FFXLVII comes out, but I'll still bye it.

velvet.fireball
01-26-2005, 07:58 PM
as long as they keep making me cry im not bothered how many they make.

rubah
01-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Imagine:

FFC: Crystal.

It's a very obvious step.

You play as a myriad of crystals of different colors, and their method of communication is resonance.

then you get to go on a quest to lure humans to you in order to make them go do stupid stuff for you.

Mo-Nercy
01-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Eventually, the whole staff as we know it today will retire or move onto other projects, leaving behind a bunch of work experience kids with little to no knowledge as to how a Final Fantasy works.

At that point, it will end.

strawberryman
01-27-2005, 12:27 AM
The series should never end. Maybe bring in some new minds to the fray to mix it up a bit, but it should never end. At the rate they are making Final Fantasy games I might be 56 before FFXLVII comes out, but I'll still bye it.
if it does, think of the waste of space the cases will make. (Covered in decline of video gaming, if you've seen it.If not you're missing out.)
Just think. 5 foot case, 3.5 inch disc

DJZen
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Probably what's going to happen is they'll finally make a succesful spinoff series which will eclipse the main series's popularity (sorta like how Capcom stopped making Mega Man games 'cause Mega Man X was selling better), at that point there'll be a few periodic FF releases, but they'll just shift focus. At the moment I'm hard pressed to think of a series that made it up to a 12th installment, so that in and of itself is pretty impressive. King of Fighters made to to a 10th game, Mega Man and Dragon Quest have only gotten up to 8 so far.... Actually managing to keep consumer accomplishment for that long is such a huge accomplishment it's really quite unusual for a company to do that.

Dingo Jellybean
01-28-2005, 12:45 AM
FF should have stopped at 8.

But as long as money is speaking, why stop? I know if I was a Square exec, I'd try to pimp as much money out of the nerds and geeks that play FF as much as possible.

Yuffie514
01-28-2005, 01:15 AM
i don't when or if the Final Fantasy series is will end, but i'm just gonna look ahead...

Angelz*and*Emoz
01-29-2005, 06:47 AM
final..........fantasy........series.....end? *dies*

RedCydranth
01-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Someone said the series should have stopped at 8. On what basis are you making this argument? FF8 was decent, but not spectacular. 9 IMO was better and X was very fun. X-2 was a disappointment but what did you expect when they forced you to using Yuna? J/K.

To me FF's worst move was making FFXI part of the FF numeric series. That bugs me bacuse you can never beat that game. The only way that game ends is by deleting your account. They could have called it FF Online. Or something not FFXI.

The FF series should only stop when the OUR world ends. Or when the games are no longer fun.

Zante
01-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I dont think the series will end soon, aa long as there is a good fanbase of the games.

Yuffie514
01-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Final Fantasy needs us fans to support it. well, i know i love FF and it'll stay alive as long as the fans around the world support it.

.:the chocobo master:.
01-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Unfortunatly i think the Final Fantasy series will probably die with Hironobu Sakaguchi. While there may be a few more FF released afterwards, without his guidence, they will probably fail...

SomethingBig
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Square should stop making games when they make FFs as bad as FFX 5 times in a row.

meanpeoplesuck
01-31-2005, 11:34 PM
*puts fingers in her ears* La la la! Not hearing this! What do you mean final fantasy end? :cry: It's usually the only games I can depend on that won't bore me withing 10 minutes of playing it.

I'm sure more ideas will evolve as time goes on. Seeing as how long it takes for any of the games to take out it may be a loooong time before they get to 47. As long as it's not in my lifetime that's all that matters. ;)

Destai
01-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Depressing. Well if they were gonna end it Id have rathered they were nice and neat about it and ended at ten But I wasnt that gone on the older versions and I want to see majority of them in more modern graphics. Now I wont be satisfied until they reach 100 >< . I agree XI shouldnt have been part of the numeric series. Its not an actual story really. I think FF is only as long lasting as its creator, Sakaguchi.

.:the chocobo master:.
01-31-2005, 11:45 PM
It would be good to see some of the older games like IV, V, VI and maybe even VIII redone with improved graphics. I'm not sure about VII cause we're already kinda getting that with VII: AC.

strawberryman
01-31-2005, 11:53 PM
The FF series should only stop when the OUR world ends. Or when the games are no longer fun.
The world will end when the games are'nt fun.

Fire_Emblem776
02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
the staff will retire some day :cry:
and no more will be made
nobuo retired from Square-enix didnt he?
WHy but it would be funny ti boy FF XXX ;)
what will become of the serise>?

Ultima Shadow
02-01-2005, 04:11 PM
The day Final Fantasy 47 is released will be a good day.

Wuggly Blight
02-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Final Fantasy will end some day, Soon the staff will retire, and leave there project behind and as more and more slowly go Final Fantasy will die, because without the people who have made them, with all there effort and ideas its nothing. I dont want to see it end but I think if it does it wont go past 15, by this point we would of usually had confirmation of the next in the line, but as of yet no FF13 has been confirmed yet, be affraid by friends.

DJZen
02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
It would be good to see some of the older games like IV, V, VI and maybe even VIII redone with improved graphics. I'm not sure about VII cause we're already kinda getting that with VII: AC.

IV was already redone with improved graphics, and FFVII AC isn't a game, nor is it a re-telling.

by this point we would of usually had confirmation of the next in the line, but as of yet no FF13 has been confirmed yet, be affraid by friends.

that's utter nonsense. Square-Enix has its hands very full right now. If we haven't heard anything in a year then maybe you'll have more ground to stand on, but it's not until the 2 year mark that it becomes likely that there's no sequel being planned. In fact, they're probably coming up with the basic premise for FFXIII as we speak.

feioncastor
02-01-2005, 07:52 PM
For the numbered series (that is, excluding MQ and FFT), the last good one was 7, so the series should've ended there.

And DJ, I wasn't aware that they remade FF4 with better graphics. I know they did it on FFChronicles, (which I own), but it has the same graphics as FF2 for the SNES. Details, please. I wanna play this newer FF4 now.

Did any of you guys see that pic of FF6 with the N64 graphics? There was that aborted project for the N64 and all that? You know, the pic with Locke, Terra/Celes and Shadow, in a fighting stance?

Man, I wish they would've made that game.

Feion

Destai
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
I think the number series was at its best between VI and X. Other fans are bound to think this way too. The more and more crap Square manages to create through Compilation of VII (my OP though I dont mind AC) the more and more likely a remake is.

If you have a link to that pic Im BEGGING YOU to lemme see.

feioncastor
02-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Here's a couple pics that I found:

http://www.nintendoland.com/graphics/screens/FF7-3.gif
http://www.nintendoland.com/graphics/screens/FF7-2.gif

How do you like them apples?

I really wish they would've made this game.

Feion

Yuffie514
02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
i don't think the series will end soon :confused: . they're still busy now with FFXII, FFVII Dirge of Cerberus and they're probably working on FFXIII as i'm typing this :mad: .

rubah
02-04-2005, 12:53 AM
feion, if they'd have stopped at seven, I'd be out a couple of favorite games. :)

Jpae33
02-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Maybe at FFXIII. Hey, they should make that one about Red XIII.

Sepho
02-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Did any of you guys see that pic of FF6 with the N64 graphics? There was that aborted project for the N64 and all that? You know, the pic with Locke, Terra/Celes and Shadow, in a fighting stance?

It wasn't an aborted game - it was just a tech demo set up to demonstrate the power of the yet to be unveiled Ultra64 hardware (which would find it's way to the N64). Too bad that's all it was.

I still have an old issue of GameFan magazine up in my room that, in the same issue, features both the screens of the mentioned tech demo, and a huge (like 10 page) feature on the earliest preview of Final Fantasy VII, around the time that you first learn the names of the main characters.

In the article is a screenshot of Aeris kneeling at the Forgotten Capital with the image caption reading "Is this where you meet Aeris?". I found this to be hilarious when reading back on it. I'll reread through it and see if there's some parts worth posting. If I had a scanner, I'd just post images of the whole article.

On a slightly unrelated note, I can't find my oldest issue of GamePro (the cover of which has an artist's rendition of Sheeva of Mortal Kombat 3, and features a very early preview of MK3, one where only the silhouette of the cybernetic ninja models are shown and their names aren't listed). :( :(

Me. Too.

Trumpet Thief
02-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Rubedo: I probably wouldn't want the series to end, but soon enough, I would guess that the number of "Original" Final Fantasies will end, and eventually, it will just be sequels/prequls/remakes of different Final Fantasies that were hits; Following the example Shin Seiki Mobile Suit Gundam.

chaos: But, I doubt Square would stop. People will just keep buying and buying the games. Nowadays, the words "Final Fantasy" have that "cha-ching" feeling to them :D

strawberryman
02-04-2005, 04:10 AM
It's kind of scary that a last resort for the creator made such a big hit. It's scary to think that if the first one did'nt do so well...
Well let's just say we're thankful that the worst case scenario did'nt happen.

mythus
02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
It's kind of scary that a last resort for the creator made such a big hit. It's scary to think that if the first one did'nt do so well...
Well let's just say we're thankful that the worst case scenario did'nt happen.

I shiver at the thought of a world without Final Fantasy...

I as well. COuld you immagine a game with the story and playability of FF6 with the graphic filling of FFX? I would love to see my favorite game in all that glory.

But since it's not likely to happen, I still love it the way it is... to bad they couldn't have added a few more FMV's with it though...

As should the FF series end? If it continues in it's slide from great storytelling and wonderful playability to nothing more than a graphics demonstration, then yes it should. And it probably will.

crashNUMBERS
02-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Should there be a limit to the Final Fantasty's? Or should they just continue for ever more until the likes of Final Fantasy 47 is on the market?
Will there be a FINAL fantasy?

dont you mean a FINAL "final fantasy"

crashNUMBERS
02-05-2005, 08:19 PM
For the numbered series (that is, excluding MQ and FFT), the last good one was 7, so the series should've ended there.

And DJ, I wasn't aware that they remade FF4 with better graphics. I know they did it on FFChronicles, (which I own), but it has the same graphics as FF2 for the SNES. Details, please. I wanna play this newer FF4 now.

Feion

if the series ended at 7 i wouldnt be playing ff that much probably not at all.

Destai
02-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the pics by the way ^^ (Its Amano styled Terra, Im sure)

Shoden
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
they're remaking ff7-9 but we dunno if they'll be released

Destai
02-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Where did you hear that? And why would they make and not release them?

Cless
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Should the Final Fantasy series end? Only when they start to get consistantly bad. Although some would argue that has been happening lately...

Destai
02-05-2005, 10:21 PM
They're still selling though.

Cless
02-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Yes, and even if they did start to seriously stink they would probably still sell well.

Destai
02-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I dont think they're ever gonna get crap. The worst they'll get is average RPG standard.

Holy Lancer
03-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Why end the Final Fantasy series when it's just getting good?

Acid Raine
03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
yeesh, doncha think that the employees will tire out sooner or later? I mean, coming up with storylines, especially the in-depth ones that FF is famous for, probably isnt easy. And the higher the counter goes, the harder it will be to come up with storylines without the series becoming ubiquitous.

On a different note, FF can stop the day after I die. :P

Relena
03-03-2006, 09:20 PM
New staff equels new ideas which equels more originality.

Yuffie514
03-03-2006, 10:40 PM
i don't want it to end, but few things last for long. i think video-games is gonna be around a long time with evolution, so maybe Final Fantasy will too...

Acid Raine
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah. Now that I think about it, FF has been around for most of the video game's life. It has been on pretty much every console (except for those gay Atari and Segas...) in one form or another...... I think it will evolve with the times. Who knows, maybe Final Fantasy XIX will be like....virtual reality. :P That would be fun, if not incredibly humiliating.

K-chan
03-04-2006, 12:18 AM
I think if people stopped rushing to get the next Final Fantasy and the sales weren't looking too good, the company would probably die out eventually. Can't last forever (or can it... ? J/K )

Holy Lancer
03-04-2006, 12:51 AM
All the stories are different though.

--One Winged Angel--
03-04-2006, 02:07 AM
iv played and finished every final fantasy title except ff3. each one of them gave me a different experience, and i loved every single minute of them. the day square-enix stops makin final fantasy will be a very dark day indeed. :cry:

Leeza
03-04-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread is too old to get revived. You may start a new one on the subject if you so wish though.