PDA

View Full Version : Your threads are dumb.

Agent Proto
01-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Hello folks. It's me. Your friendly neighborhood pr00tmeister. Just telling you that you guys need to do a better job on your threads. Most of the threads I see are pretty pointless, well in my point of view, so I'm going to do a little favor for you guys.

<b>The nine points to starting a new thread.</b>

Point 1.
When you make a thread, please make sure that the thread you want to start has not been made in another form by another person. To make sure that your thread is going to be ok, please do search around the first few pages of the forum you want to start a thread. If you don't find a similar thread, then it's ok.

Numero dos.
Please refrain from the common "What's your favorite ____" questionnaire threads. First of all, who cares? I don't, and obviously do most other people. It's a fact, when forums have more questionnaire threads than the other kinds, we have a problem.

Take three.
Spam threads. You know you love them, but staff doesn't. Please refrain from starting one. You know who you are, and I know who you are. Don't even think about it. The only way you're going to have one is when a staff member starts on.

#4.
Please for the love of god, please, put threads in the appropriate forum. I don't want to see a thread asking about your favorite Final Fantasy Character in General Chat. We have all these forums for a reason.

Some number.
Competition/tournament/Award threads are fun, but I don't necessarily like to see more than one going on at the same time. Also, if you're thinking about starting one, it's better to ask the Staff for permission for the OK. Once you are cleared to start one, go for it. Normally, the thread will get stickied by staff.

I hate you. Wait, I lied. I like you guys. <3

Seven.
When you make a thread, put some thought into it. I don't want to see a thread with just a single sentence or two inside. If you're going to make a thread, at least have some content so others will know what you want to talk about.

I h<b>8</b> newbie thread.
Of course not. But n00bs, when you make a thread to introduce yourself, please do a better job of limiting your threads. I don't want to come back one day after a brief moment away to see ten newbie threads on the same page. Five is reasonable, but anything over five is too much. Keep it limited guys. I know you're new to EoFF, no need to announce it to the world.

9)
Finally, my last advise. Please refrain from making threads with no effing point at all. This includes advertising threads, threads that is pointed at one person, and whatnot. Your thread must have a point, whether if it's asking a question, want to discuss the latest internet fad, which I don't mind at all, or one of them fun contests. If it doesn't have a point or topic, it's useless.

Thank you and consider everything I said when starting new threads.

Behold the Void
01-28-2005, 07:53 AM
All hail Herr Pr00t!

krissy
01-28-2005, 08:01 AM
*advice
agreeing with some of this though

Despotus
01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
So, what exactly is the point of this thread? (see Proto rule# 9) To point out what we like or or don't like about other people's posts? That sounds like a favorite, least favorite questionaire kind of topic to me. (see Proto rule# 2) And I swear I've read a few of these requests somewhere before, like general rules about starting threads and replying to them...hmmm. (see Proto rule# 1) :p :tongue:

Really though, I agree with your complaints. And it's generally a good idea to vent your annoyances and get them off your chest. :D

-N-
01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Way to be a goddamn elitist. Christ, pr00t, who the hell do you think you are?

Samuraid
01-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Those sound like generally reasonable suggestions. Occasionally there are expections though. :D

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Im going to risk my head being shot i seriously think your cool man but...

loosen up! I definately agree with some of the points more so the whole spamming thing....but i never knew you really were so uptight about it...but if its extremly pointless...i think the staff would be smart enough to close those kinda threads remember the "post if your....?" I think Leeza was on a closing spree! If you dont like it, cool...but don't go about saying 'you need to do a better job with your threads'!

ok so nows the time where i say "dont kill me"

Baloki
01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Proot can't harm you, hes former staff :rolleyes2

And you may be right ap, but I don't think anyone will listen :)

Rye
01-28-2005, 11:56 AM
This is descrimination against what's your favourite threads. :( I love those threads because you feel like you're joining in a big conversation with out having to put a lot of effort into it like in EoEo.

Xander
01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Proto, you don't really have any right to make a rule thread when you're not even a member of staff anymore and actually nobody on staff would do this anyway.

Rules of the forum already exist, in the FAQs, we don't need anymore.

You want to know what's an annoying and pointless thread? This one. I also don't think it is particularly nice, so I'm closing it.

If you have a problem with a particular thread, please inform a moderator and we'll decide if it's dumb or not.

Loony BoB
01-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I'd also like to add that, even if some people find it annoying, no newbie lacks the right of any other newbie - in other words, if one newbie can make a newbie thread, then I see no reason for any other newbie not to do the same. It's all up to their personal preference. :)