PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fan

Lionx
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok i have a reletively new comp going around 3Ghz with 512MB RAM

The problem with it is that my fan goes nuts for every little action there is, even when something is considered minor to me. For instance if i speed up my GBA EMU, it would start going wild the fan. And right now its going semi-fast, only thing demanding is Playonline Viewer but its on low memory standby at the moment. Doing normal browsing i shouldnt feel like i need to hear the fan yet i do. My old comp isnt like this.

While it is understandable when i play FFXI or Red Faction 2 it goes loud it still doesnt make it right that it does this even when i am typing..like its blowing kinda loud now...then goes louder..then back to square one...when i am in a game that is demanding it goes LOUD and theres alot of hot air comming out of the back...but when i speed up my EMU it goes loud too for some reason...even if i go idle.

EDIT: As i type this it is blowing out warm air...and you can hear the fan not the normal venting warm air.

Whats wrong? Is my computer overheating too easily? What can i do? =/

Baloki
01-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Its a 3 GHz processor, its going to have a small nuclear imposion anytime anything runs so don't worry about the fan being on, it just means your processers working, if your worried I'm sure someone can tell you how to turn it down :)

Samuraid
01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
If the noise bothers you, it is often possible to buy a quieter fan to replace the one that's making noise.

Is it the fan on the CPU or a chassis fan on the back of the computer?

Lionx
01-29-2005, 02:25 AM
...I have no idea i think its the one in the back...but it could be the other one as well ><;;

So this is normal and nothing to be worried about? Because my 1.8Ghz computer does not freak out like this.

Baloki
01-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I think the best way might be to get a heat monitor program, some good ones were suggested in this thread ( http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=55576 ), and see if theres any heat increases when the fans come on, if there is then its perfectly normal, however if there isn't theres no harm but it there might be a problem :)

o_O
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
I recommend motherboard monitor. You'll be able to check the temperature of the CPU and at various other points on your motherboard, which will let you know if your processor really is overheating. At 3GHz, it should probably run at a temperature between 30 and 40 degrees celcius.

I'd say it will just be a loud fan, and as Samuraid said, it might just be a chassis fan.

Lionx
02-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Ok after comming home from eating the comp was defragging but the fan was going way WAY louder than ever, it was blowing out cool fan however and nothing was active except the Defrag program. I shut it down, waited a while and now its quiet as ever...WTF?!?

Baloki
02-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Try the programs you suggested, and a point to remember Defrag is very processor and hard disc intensive.

Also have you thought that it might be the hard drive making the noise and not the fan?

o_O
02-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Or your CD/DVD drive. What's the make and model of your HD? And do you know what the RPM on it is?