PDA

View Full Version : AVG 7.0

blue_midget192
01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I am using AVG 7.0 (as the title suggests) and it will not update properly, when I log on the updater appears but it does nothing. After a while it give me a box saying that there is a connection problem. And my firewall (Zone Alaram) shows no activity at all either. Now I can get onto the internet, becuase here i am :) but the updater wont work. Whats Wrong? :confused:

crono_logical
01-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Double check the firewall isn't set to ignore anything it doesn't know rather than to prompt you.

Also, you appear to be using a proxy server. If the updater doesn't use standard web traffic ports to update, it's likely not gonna work.

blue_midget192
01-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Double check the firewall isn't set to ignore anything it doesn't know rather than to prompt you.

Also, you appear to be using a proxy server. If the updater doesn't use standard web traffic ports to update, it's likely not gonna work.

that was the first thing i tried; i set all the stuff to do with AVG to go through the fire wall. But that didn't work....the last bit...you lost me on. I'v never know what a proxy server is, so if anyone can enlighten me:) please do so.

Baloki
01-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Are you using a university, school, business or private network to access the net?

crono_logical
01-29-2005, 07:12 AM
The IP Address is: 62.254.0.30.
The host name is: nott-cache-5.server.ntli.net.Proxy server roughly means you don't have a real connection to the internet, you have to go through someone else that can decide what you can or can't do or see.

Baloki
01-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Ahhh, your using NTL

Mirage
01-29-2005, 05:24 PM
You could try the AVG settings, it may have some sort of proxy compatibility mode.

crono_logical
01-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I might as well install AVG myself, seeing as I haven't had a virus scanner on my laptop for nearly a year and I don't have much better things to do right now :D

Yamaneko
01-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Actually, I think their update servers are down or slow at the moment. I tried to update just ten minutes ago and I couldn't establish a connection.

crono_logical
01-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I can download updates fine (just tried a few minutes ago).

You could download the update manually from http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt7.php then tell AVG to update from the folder you downloaded to instead of updating over the internet, or as Mirage said, enter the appropriate proxy settings into AVG if you know them (I guess you don't since you didn't know you were proxied).

blue_midget192
01-29-2005, 10:16 PM
right, wow. urm. well to answer Baloki; no im not at school, college, or uni. And...urm my computer is conencted directly to my modem, there it is *points* winking away at me :) but i have the firewall, so does that mean im on a proxy server or not? :confused:

crono_logical
01-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I've already told you that you appear to be using one, and how to get AVG to update.

Well, I now know not to get ntl in future anyway, since it seems they suck :p

blue_midget192
01-30-2005, 07:46 PM
ok, updated it in the wat you said. So no one konws why mine isn't updating via the internet? When it was before? :confused: